Search Unity

Random "Show invocation failed" error on showing interstitial ads

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by MrRightclick, May 24, 2019.

1. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

Hello,
    I'm having a problem with my ads integration in my Android game.

Ads (both interstitial and rewarded) show normally, until at a random point when trying to trigger them I get an error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 2019-05-24 16:08:03.150 29565-29807/com.25games.tapspin E/UnityAds: com.unity3d.services.core.api.Sdk.logError() (line:57) :: Show invocation failed: Can't show a new ad unit when ad unit is already open
    2. 2019-05-24 16:08:03.152 29565-29676/com.25games.tapspin E/libc: Access denied finding property "vendor.debug.egl.swapinterval"
    I have checks for both ad show failing (result == ShowResult.Failed) and no ads available (if (ad != null)), but this error gets through both of them, in turn making it impossible to go forward from a screen where the continue button calls for an ad.

What's happening here? This is a completely new problem, started happening today.

I can watch numerous interstitial ads before this happens and locks me in the continue screen.

Using Unity version 2018.4.0f1 and updated my Unity Ads through package manager to version 3.1.1.

This is happening on Android.

2. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

Update: This seems to happen every time after a playable ad is shown and a new ad is called. The playable ad remains live behind the scenes for whatever reason. What to do?

3. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

Thanks for bringing this up!

Let's start by removing all Unity Ads package manager packages and disabling the services window -based integration. Then integrate latest Unity Monetization from the Asset Store.

What kind of playable ad was it? Do you have screenshots of the end card (preferably the build information dialogue, accessible from the hand+shield -privacy icon)? Logs would help as well. There might be a third party broken playable or it could be an issue with this particular device. We can investigate and block this creative once we identify its source.

4. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

Hello, and thanks for helping! I'll try what you said, removing the Ads package & services integration.
    EDIT: Removed ads package & services integration, but no cookie. Still getting the same error.

It seems to be any type of playable ad, as any playable that shows results in the same error.

The device doesn't seem to matter as any device (Android, iOS) that we've been "lucky" enough to get playable ads as interstitials gets hung up on the same error. I'm saying "lucky", because this is a bit hard to test, as even with a test placement that should only display Playables, most of the time the ads from the placement are videos anyway.

However, I was lucky enough to get a playable ad for Empires & Puzzles first run this time, here are some pictures of it:
    https://imgur.com/a/OsyaIGR
    This also caused the same error.

This was on an Android/Oneplus 6. We've also been able to test this on an iOS tablet device, but have had no luck on getting playables to show up on other devices.

An offtopic question that I feel I haven't understood yet: is the Advertisements package from the package manager included in the Unity Monetization package found in the Asset Store? Do I need them both or is the Monetization package enough by itself? The Unity documentation on this matter is a bit confusing to comb through, and most Google searches I've done on this matter usually result in links to the Legacy documentation on the Unity Ads package.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  5. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

Thanks for providing these details. Will investigate with our team.

Asset Store package is a standalone integration for Unity Ads and it doesn't need any packages to be integrated - and won't function if you have competing integrations (services) running. I'll pass on your feedback to have this more clearly expressed in our documentation.

6. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

Alright, thank you for helping! This is the only problem currently stopping the publishing of the game, so hoping you guys can come up with whatever is causing this error. I'm happy to provide any extra info you might require.

7. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

If you wish - we can block playable ads from your games until we resolve this. Let me know the game IDs (private message if you feel uncomfortable sharing these here) if you want me to block playable ads from the games.

8. StefanMilkov

StefanMilkov

We have the same problem. Waiting for a solution.

9. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

We contacted a local Unity representative about this, and they took a look at it and said it was a problem on their end. It's fixed for us now, tested and proven!

Also thanks for the help, mikaisomaa! :)

StefanMilkov likes this.