Search Unity

Bug Random pitch black light probes strewn throughout scene

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Jacob_Andrews, May 24, 2023.

1. Jacob_Andrews

Jacob_Andrews

Hello!

I am a fairly new unity user and only recently discovered lightprobes. I would like to implement them into my scene as I am using mixed-subtractive lighting and want my dynamic objects (NPCs) be affected by shadows and lighting changes.

I followed this tutorial on youtube when setting up my lightprobe group:

The light probes work as expected; however, a handful of them appear to be pitch black for no apparent reason. I have attached an image of this issue.
    upload_2023-5-24_12-39-8.png

I am using unity version 2021.3.17f and am using URP.

I have attached my direction light settings and my lighting setup. The directional light is the only light in the entire scene.

upload_2023-5-24_12-40-12.png upload_2023-5-24_12-40-37.png

I would appreciate any help I can get with this issue as it has put my project on hold.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  2. Jacob_Andrews

Jacob_Andrews

Hello,

It seems like this forum is still awaiting a moderators approval. I wanted to let everyone know that I have resolved this issue by unchecking the "progressive update" and "multiple importance" options in the Lighting -> scene settings.

Not entirely sure why these options were causing the problem. From reading the description for each option, it seems like both of them 'rush' the baking process. May have messed with the light probes sampling.

If someone could provide a more descriptive reason as to why this worked, I'd be happy to learn!

Thanks