Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Random flashes in game and scene view

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MaartenB, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hello everyone,

We are for a long time stuck at a problem, but we don't know the solution at all to this problem. The problem is that during play mode, the game will give random flashes only when playing in VR.

Here is a video of how it looks like (screenshots were impossible):

We think it's the particle effects, but can't really guess where the problem in the particle effects is. I hope one of you can come up with a solution, so we can get rid of this problem.

Thanks in advance!

- Maarten Braaksma, Co-Owner at Buckethead Entertainment

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Not sure, but I'm guessing those are particles immediately in front of the camera. You could test that by extending the near clipping plane of the camera further out so anything right in front of the camera shouldn't render.

3. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hey Joe,

Unfortunately, that solution didn't work. Do you maybe have some other suggestions to fix this?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Wasn't really a solution, just an idea to try to troubleshoot what the flashes were. Like extend the near clipping plane out to something like 30-50 to see if you no longer see them.

If it was caused by particles right in front of the camera then you'd need to come up with some solution to prevent that. Somehow prevent the particle system from activating in a location where particles would obstruct the camera, or possibly using a particle collision on a collider you put on the camera to destroy any particles obstructing it. There's probably more ideas as well, I'm just not a particle system expert.

5. MaartenB

MaartenB

Hey Joe,

These are not particles that are flying in front of the camera, but something else we are still not sure about what it is.