Search Unity

Random Dungeon Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Digital-Forest, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Strahd47

Strahd47

Right now my time is a bit sporadic but I will do what I can to help.
    When building for the android platform first I get a warning and an error from unity:
    Well the first one is just a warning and the second one should have no effect on me as I am not using the Unity Pro.

I did managed to get a few logs off the device. I'll PM those over and hope they can help.

2. Catacomber

Catacomber

I updated to the new version on mac and was finally able to load the player but it crashes sometimes on Destroy Objects.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. D4Games

D4Games

I send you a PM to see if its our "old" problem where mac crashes on a double Destroy line we had in the script. Windows doesn't mind it, but the mac manages to completely crash on it. :) The new version in the store should solve this, else, the PM should guide you to the solution, pretty simple sadly enough, despite completely breaking macs, hehe

4. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

I just want to confirm that this works with the Mac OSX now. Also, do you foresee any problems if I want to use the Manufactura K4 S-F Pack with this? Some of the walls are not perfectly flat, and even come with prefab tube (things you walk through) parts ... is there any way to use those?

Thanks!,
    Dale

5. D4Games

D4Games

The only thing that you probably run into is that our dungeon grid size might not fit the grid size used for the different parts, meaning you have to refit them to our prefabs. This could take some work. I do see they supply textures that you can reuse on the walls and such. So, i only foresee a bit of work to get them working and fitting well in our generator.

ps, we also use prefab tube thingies ;) we call them inlays and templates and these are basically premade little scenes with an entry and exit point that are generated as a whole model in the generator.

6. Strahd47

Strahd47

What the creator said :)

I also use the dungeon generator and I have also opted for different assets as they would fit better into what I'm building. It is not really that much of a problem but it can be a lot of work. Prefab by prefab adjustment takes time...

7. D4Games

D4Games

but once you have it fitting, the generator will produce beautiful and diverse dungeons for your games ;)

8. Strahd47

Strahd47

And that is why we love it ;)

9. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

Sorry for not responding ... I haven't had much time to check the forums. Thanks so much for your response (both of you!). Attached is a screengrab of a hastily thrown together room (really its just a bunch of prefab walls and a tiled ceiling/floor) from the package I mentioned before. If you guys think I should be able to get something at least comprable to this level of detail on the walls (as in, not a single solid texture across the entire wall), then I'll be up for nabbing the generator. I understand it will be a bit of work getting it to work with my prefabs ... will the be any tech support available if I get stumped?

Thanks!,
    Dale

[Edit -- oh, and this is using the Alloy Physical Shader package from Rust, if anyone was curious. Its absolutely worth the money :D]

Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 8.19.31 PM.png

10. Strahd47

Strahd47

Yes you can. You just need to define the walls you want and simply throw the prefabs in the designated folder. The generator takes everything from that folder and randomly throws stuff together. Works great actually. I can give you a few screen grabs of what I did with (and well still not quite done :) "Dark Ages: Dungeon I" asset from the asset store. I am back at work however so this might take some time...

11. D4Games

D4Games

Well, seems our community is up and running :) thanks guys, we love seeing screens of what is being done with our generator. And Dale, if you get really stuck we can maybe have a skype call to see if we can get you unstuck. Both me and Vincent are hard at work with some other things though atm sadly enough, so we don't seem to find so much time for the added style packages we have in mind. But i have time to help some of you out with some help if needed. Just send me a PM when really stuck :)

12. DGordon

DGordon

Thanks guys ... it looks like I'll be picking this up tomorrow after I finally get some sleep :p. Looking forward to seeing what I can get it to do :).

13. Strahd47

Strahd47

There you go a few work in progress images. I opted for a top down 45 degree view so that in the middle will be one of the playable characters :) Now on these three you can see some of the assets already replaced. Some walls and some of the floors have been done. Actually a lot more has been done but I had to switch computers and that final version doesn't want to work right. I did something wrong I guess but I'll get those images in as soon as it's fixed. Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 23.21.00.png Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 23.21.21.png Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 23.21.32.png

14. DGordon

DGordon

Nice strahd :). I picked it up myself, so at some point I'll show my progress ... still a ways off though. Something I should have asked before (although its not 100% tied to this product, more of a random dungeon in general question): has anyone been able to dynamically generate A* nav meshes for RAIN AI at a decent speed for these levels? If I can't have my AI going, then dynamically generating my levels wont help much ;).

15. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

I'm clearly misunderstanding how to use the advanced object placers. I have a torch positioned where I want it. It has a single part that says attacked to floor. I thought that should only spawn the torch if the wall is attached to the floor ... not anywhere above it. However, take a look at the attached screen shot. Clearly thats not whats happening. Also, the preview box shows up in my level generation (along with its collosion box). Is that normal? Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.48.49 AM.png

16. DGordon

DGordon

Also, is there any way to have specific walls (not objects, the walls themselves) spawn depending on what they are near? I want to use a more expensive but much nicer wall for the part near the floor, and the higher up stuff will be a simpler quad.

17. D4Games

D4Games

Hey DGordon, i think you have put a advanced object placer tool as a prefab for the normal object placer ... Advanced objects are templates that have their own folder and have in them a referal to the actual object or 3d model that it will spawn. I am curious to see your setup of this, but maybe take a look at our video tutorials or read the chapter in our documentation (again?)

The second part, about having a special wall chosen for the floor layer in a room is not currently possible, we thought about it, but decided not to add it in this version as playing around with wall inlays can pretty much result in that effect. (maybe take a look at those as well)

If you really keep getting these interesting positioning issues, send me a private message and we can maybe discuss your setup one on one :)

18. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Have you tried the normal Object placer? The advanced oject placer is used when you want to fill empty spaces with objects that are generally to big to walk past or over. The normal object placer is used for small items like a torch. You add them as a gameobject to wall parts and can set the percentage. If you want a torch only on the walls connected to the floor, you should indeed use an Advanced object placer, position the torch on one of the sides of the square, set that single side to Attached, set the floor to Attached and the rest to Not important.
    Hope this helps...

19. DGordon

DGordon

I think I'm doing what you said in the first part *whistles* ... nothing to see here. Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realize they have their own folder.

Is there any way to determine the position of the tile through script? If so, I could have a wall prefab that displays what I want based on my own testing.

20. D4Games

D4Games

Hey DGordon, if you have a skype account maybe send me an email at daan4games@gmail.com with your account so we can have a chat to help you with some things :)

21. Strahd47

Strahd47

As promised some more WIP shots. Now these a from the first person view as the whole project is not yet restored and here the player character of dungeon generator is used. All of the walls have been replaced and various new prefabs added as well as some of the originals used. All of this is randomly generated by the dungeon generator and randomly populated with some random settings :)
    Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.11.07 (2).png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.11.21 (2).png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.11.56 (2).png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.12.56 (2).png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.13.14 (2).png

22. Strahd47

Strahd47

And part 2 of the intended batch:
    Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.13.20 (2).png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.13.27 (2).png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 15.13.42 (2).png

23. Archania

Archania

Looking good strahd47!
    Getting into this is on my list so good to see people creating some neat stuff.

24. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hey Guys,
    I thought I'd share my kickstarter which has RDG at the core of the game for level generation. ;)

We're still on RDG1 at the moment, but will be migrating to V2 after the KS.

Kickstarter Link

Drannach likes this.
  25. Drannach

Drannach

Just a quick question: source code is included? I need to integrate some other assets... Thanks!

26. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

yes source is included

27. eridani

eridani

Would love to see an example of an office building (think of the CS_OFFICE level in Counter-Strike -- see pictures). If this asset can do this, you could rename it "Level Generator" instead of just "Dungeon Generator," which seems more restrictive.

Also, did you use to have a playable web demo for this asset? I could have sworn you did last year, but I can't find a playable demo now. Thanks!

cs_office_1.jpg
    cs_office_2.jpg

28. eridani

eridani

Wow that is a cool looking game. Very atmospheric and creepy. Did you have to make a lot of modifications to turn the dungeon into a haunted house? Or is it a matter of simply swapping out room prefabs? Thanks!

29. D4Games

D4Games

Hey Eyehawk, looks good ! i like the way you used the windows to add a sense of being in a house. Nice and creepy atmosphere. Hope you guys make it, seems close. When you do start to use our new version hopefully your team gets the hang of adding new styles to the generator. Should be easier then the first version and give you more freedom for endrooms and such :) Good luck !

30. D4Games

D4Games

Hey Eridani, I know our choise of name is a little off as depending on the style you use it generates game levels for you. We just started out with the ideas for dungeons for fantasy styled games... and the name stuck. We are currently (back) at working on a new style to use for the generator (sold separately). This will be a high tech scifi style ... so level generator is the way to go i guess :) and yes, its very possible to make a "office" kind of tileset for the generator to use. Depending on how well the separate style sets sell we might add one of these in the future. Although we already have plans and some basic models for an aztek ruins kind of style after the high tech scifi.

We did had a little playable web demo in the past, but with 40mb it was draining our resources a bit on the website and we decided to use youtube videos set instead. I also spend some time with people showing them a little demo using skype which seemed to make a lot of them exited about using our generator. Let me know if you have a wish for such a demo maybe?

31. eridani

eridani

Sure a high tech demo would be awesome!

I guess I'm looking for a dungeon or level generator that generates the interior map and also some exterior walls and an entranceway, like the CS_OFFICE map I posted.

There are a few random dungeon generators in the Asset Store but none of them generate an exterior with an entranceway. It would instantly set you apart if you were able to do so!

32. D4Games

D4Games

With our generator you can generate a set of different styled zones. So you can have a somewhat exterior style, then a door into the main office styled inner zone. You can model any type of "door" so a crack in the wall, or a window that is opened and such can all be used as entry points. To have a good random level generated you might have to tweak the settings a bit to make it believable each time, but once you have these you can save these settings to be able to quickly use these again. Hope this helps

33. _Simmo

_Simmo

Heya

I'm in love with this asset, definitely the best random level generator on the asset store, the levels have a really nice feel to them and they look non-generated for the most part, amazing work :D

One thing I would love to see is more control for object placement, for instance making sure a certain object such as a chest or special item is spawned only at the end (room or dead end) of side-corridors to reward exploration. Or even making certain things more likely the further into the dungeon you are, so for example harder enemies are more likely to spawn closer to the end, etc. Maybe there's a way to do this and I'm missing it, does the generator "know" what depth into the dungeon every room is?

Speaking of enemies, so far I'm just using object placers on certain floor tiles but that doesn't guarantee enemies will spawn, and they're really inconsistent in number. Sometimes there's no enemies, sometimes a lot. The "Override object place %" helps but that's still just a chance to be spawned each time if I understand correctly rather than a hard overall spawn chance.

Again maybe there's a better way I could be spawning enemies, maybe advanced object placer would help rather than simple object, they could them spawn anywhere if I put floor required. I'll need to test it out

I've only just started playing with this asset and haven't really dived into the code beyond adding support for my custom player, so I'll be looking at how everything work as I go and might be able to figure all this out. If I do I'll post here. Man that's a long post, sorry about that :p Can't wait to delve into this asset deeper, thanks for the hard work!

EDIT: I guess I should just ask while I'm posting: is it possible to detect and only add certain parts to the outer-most walls of a dungeon, so windows to "outside" can possibly be placed without seeing other parts of the dungeon through them?

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  34. D4Games

D4Games

Ok, this is a long post ;) and there are a lot of topics in there that i will try and go into a little more tomorrow. Should be able to cover quite a few of them as there are ways to do the things you ask. Good night for now !

/sleeps

_Simmo likes this.
  35. D4Games

D4Games

Ok, Added some notes in between

I'm in love with this asset > Tnks !

One thing I would love to see is more control for object placement, for instance making sure a certain object such as a chest or special item is spawned only at the end (room or dead end) of side-corridors to reward exploration. > You can use the directional tiles set for corridors to have an object placer only in the dead-end parts. Then any dead-end might have an object according to the dead end object placer list (and the chance set on it).

Another option can be to use a template for endrooms and select them manually for the side corridor endrooms. You can also make multiple templates for endrooms to have diversity. We currently only supplied the one but if you add more of them they will be randomly selected and not look so common if you have a lot of side corridors using endroom templates. Using templates (even small single 1 square templates just with an unique object placer in them, and not just endroom templates) can be used to control unique object placement (as the amount of templates can be controlled). So definitely take a good look at using some templates, even if they are just empty, as even template grid parts will automatically generate floors, walls and ceilings where needed to guarantee a "closed" dungeon. Templates wont generate a floor part though if you didn't specify this and it has another template or room part underneath it. Forcing floors within the template builder will help you control this ;)

Or even making certain things more likely the further into the dungeon you are, so for example harder enemies are more likely to spawn closer to the end, etc. Maybe there's a way to do this and I'm missing it, does the generator "know" what depth into the dungeon every room is? > Currently the generator has no clue about where or what its doing in comparison to what it did before, except that it has a list of locations occupied by parts. What you could do though is have certain zones generate harder enemies. Make duplicate styles but have harder enemies spawn in the other style. Another way is to add a little script yourself to have an "enemy" wake up and measure its distance to position 0,0,0, as this will always be the first square where the player will spawn. Again, using templates with a hard enemy in them and then having higher zones use the templates with higher enemies in them can also be an option.

Speaking of enemies, so far I'm just using object placers on certain floor tiles but that doesn't guarantee enemies will spawn, and they're really inconsistent in number. Sometimes there's no enemies, sometimes a lot. The "Override object place %" helps but that's still just a chance to be spawned each time if I understand correctly rather than a hard overall spawn chance.> I think you might not realize that how we setup the main path is giving you issues here. In rooms we always keep the main path clear, so no advanced objects may be placed over it and no inlays, pillars or any of those will be generated on them. This to make sure that the generator blocks the way to the exit accidentally. If you didn't use directional floor tiles for rooms, the main path basically is a generic plane (without any object placers on it !) To have enemies spawn on the main path, add some directional tiles with specific object placers. This can be used to still have objects be placed on the main path, but its up to the designer of the style to make sure these objects (or enemies) wont block the way. Same goes for maybe wanting enemies to spawn in the corridors, directional tile sets might give you a random seeming pattern or better grip on where enemies might spawn.

Again maybe there's a better way I could be spawning enemies, maybe advanced object placer would help rather than simple object, they could them spawn anywhere if I put floor required. I'll need to test it out > I would advice to play around with creating interesting advanced object placers. But, dont make them to small, as they might completely swamp your rooms. Then again, as said above, Advanced objects will never be placed directly on the main path. Although if you try them out, you can have them generate arches over the main path ;) good luck playing around with these, as i think they are very interesting and powerfull options to generate intriguing looking dungeons without loosing the random feel. I am trying to really use these in our scifi style.

I've only just started playing with this asset and haven't really dived into the code beyond adding support for my custom player, so I'll be looking at how everything work as I go and might be able to figure all this out. If I do I'll post here. Man that's a long post, sorry about that :p Can't wait to delve into this asset deeper, thanks for the hard work! > if you want to brainstorm a bit with me, send me a personal message through the boards, we could setup a little skype session where i could help with your ideas. (same goes for everyone else of course).

EDIT: I guess I should just ask while I'm posting: is it possible to detect and only add certain parts to the outer-most walls of a dungeon, so windows to "outside" can possibly be placed without seeing other parts of the dungeon through them? > You cant at this time detect this, but could be added in the script as each part knows if it has a certain part next to it when it places the wall. you might have to add another type of wall then though etc etc. Seems like an update, if we ever think we see time to make another update, its on the list. As is our wish to have the generator be able to generate within a certain area, making towers and such possible. Or be able to use the generator to generate believable insides of buildings for example. O well, the future ...
    One option for this could be to have a template fake the outside. Make the inside have a wall with windows to the outside, where the outside is actually just the template grid parts you added with skyboxes or something there? (could also be something for the counterstrike level question above ;))

Good luck with finding ways to use our tool to setup amazing "levels" ;)

_Simmo likes this.
  36. _Simmo

_Simmo

Wow, thanks for such a comprehensive post and answers! Really appreciate it, and clears a lot of things up :)

I had thought of using duplicate styles with harder enemies, and even better treasure, it seems like a good and controllable way to handle stuff. Another simple idea I came up with is just have a script that adds to a variable every time you exit and generate a new dungeon, and have the monster spawner object look at that to generate harder enemies the "deeper" you go into the dungeon.

One thing I want to experiment with is changing the dungeon generation parameters through script, such as adding or removing zones, and loading different presets. This would allow you to be able to change from one type of dungeon with its own settings to another between dungeon generations, while keeping everything in one scene. Something like:

1. Have a variable that tracks number of times current generation settings have been generated

2. after a defined amount of generations, the next time the player hits exit, a script runs that changes dungeon generator parameters (sets number of zones, loads presets for those zones), and then runs the generator

3. Reset the variable

I'll play around with this tonight and see what I can do

Again thanks for the huge reply, having lots of fun playing with the possibilities of this asset :)

EDIT: Changing the generation settings in script turned out to be really simple, I'm really happy :D I can add and remove zones, and load their settings XMLs no problem. This opens up a lot of possibilities, e.g. choosing a dungeon style with a menu in-game.

I am having trouble still figuring out how to get and print the seed that the generator uses when it's set to not use a pre-defined seed. I would like to be able to see what each seed is, for debugging purposes and just to be able to save cool dungeon seeds :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  37. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Thanks! We managed to just make it :) Looking forward to upgrading the project to V2 :)

38. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have already been reading all the posts of all the 4 pages and have seen the 27 pages of the instructions manual and I still have some questions that are not clear to me.

From all the dungeon creators or generators available in the asset store, I think that maybe this Random Dungeon Generator (RDG) can be the one of the best from all that I have seen and that is still actively developed and updated and so I want to buy it, but as this cost 75$, before buying I want to know some things:

1 - BE ABLE TO MAKE VERY HIGH HUGE WALLS ?

The demos show that it makes usual and standard sized rooms with what seems to be a human height and I wonder if this can also be made to generate rooms and spaces with very high huge walls of 10, 12 or 15 meters or even higher?

This is one of the most important things to me as I want to make an open maze with huge high walls (as in the maze runner movie) but it seems that all the ones I have seen only make "normal" sized walls of human height sizes

Maybe this depends on the source prefabs and you may use already huge high walls as source for the walls of the dungeon to be generated and so maybe it would be possible to make this, although maybe there is already a fixed size prefabs limit that will not let this be possible, as I do not think that the RDG will tile or repeat walls prefabs to build a very high wall.

2 - BE ABLE TO HAVE DIFFERENT HEIGHTS AND CORRIDOR WIDTHS?

I also wonder how does the random generated is done according to the size, width and heights in total of corridors and rooms, and if it can be customized to define areas or zones with larger and wider areas and others with smaller ones.

3 - HOW RANDOM THE ROOMS AND CORRIDORS ARE CREATED?

How the rooms and corridors are created so they do not look the same? I mean how different they are from each other and if they can be just slightly different or very different and random.

4 - ROOF AND CEILINGS ARE OPTIONAL?

I have seen that most of the screenshots shown have some kind of roof or ceiling and do not know if it is optional to have them or not, or I should put a transparent roof?

5 - MAKE LARGE HOLES IN THE FLOOR?

I have seen that in some screenshots the floor does not cover all and have large holes to show the level below, but I do not know how this is done and how this can be customized and how to measure or size these open floor areas?

6 - WHAT OWN PREFABS MODELS CAN BE USED?
    HOW MUST THEM BE TO USE THEM WITH RDG?

In the product page is put

Do you prefer sci-fi to fantasy? Use your own models to generate your own unique style!

Well, I have seen that in the forum pages is told that you can´t use any kind of prefabs for RGD and that these must follow some kind of rules or characteristics to be able to use them with this RGD without problems, so I want to know

what kind of prefabs can be used to generate the dungeons?

Should them be the same size as the ones that are included with RGD or can be different?

I do not mind if I have to modify my own prefabs to be used with RGD but I want to know how they need to be modified to fit without problems with RGD

7 - WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SCI FI FUTURISTIC PREFABS ADD-ON PACK SHOWN ON THIS FORUM?

It has been told in many parts of this forum about an additional sci fi pack that was going to be sold as an additional prefabs pack to be used with RGD but I have not seen it available and this was already in 2013, so I wonder if this is going to be released soon or what happened to it, as it looks very good

8 - WHAT OTHER ASSETS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH RGD AND AVAILABLE IN UNITY ASSET STORE?

I am interested in making futuristic "dungeon" instead of the medieval or castle style it is shown on product page
    and as the SCI-FI prefabs shown on the forum seems that they are not available I wonder what other possible prefabs could be already directly compatible with RDG without any change or at least little work.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME

Sorry for the long post and thanks very much for reading it, and I think this can be also interesting to others reading the forum

I tried to find the answers in the forum or the instructions manual but have not been able to find them

Thanks for the time you spend with this and for any answer and help could be given

Best wishes and kind regards

39. D4Games

D4Games

Hello SpaceRay, thats a big post with a lot of questions. Lets see if i can clear some questions and i will PM you to maybe have an more indept discussion how certain things can be done. As i think having a little tech demo might clear up things a lot faster then me trying to type/explain it all here. But, lets give you some basic information regarding your questions.

1: You can have rooms made up to 10 gridcells high, resulting in a 60 meter high rooms (really high when you walk around in them). But this is just a restriction on a slider we put in, in theory it can generate them even higher and is an easy change in the code. Corridors atm are restricted though and will always be one high, thats the way we setup the generator atm as we wanted a clear distinction between corridors and rooms. But, using our templates you can use templates with high walls to generate some high walled corridor pieces in between randomly generated rooms.

another option might be to modify the grid-size manually (will take a bit of looking into the script material from your side) and have the grid-height be different then the current 6 meters. Then a single grid-cell can be made into any height.

2: Pretty much answered above, but to add, you can have smaller corridor sizes then our 8 by 8 by 6 as you can just lower the ceiling and place the walls where you want them to make the smaller.

3: the more prefabs you have the more random the generator is. We use prefabs for walls, floors and ceilings with a lot of different inlays generated over them if there is room for them. All these prefabs are chosen random when one is generated, so if you have for example 7 different wall prefabs, it can result in a very random looking dungeon. Also if you setup a zone with different settings for room sizes and/or corridor lengths using different set of staircase prefabs etc, this will also result in a very different looking area.

4: As the dungeon generates very random looking dungeons we closed it off for the "outside". I know of one user that is playing around using no roofs/ceilings to generate outside area's. So, it can be done, but you should take a good look at our generator before attempting it if you ask me. But you can definitely "open" up the generator here and there by having templates without roofs to be able to look outside.

5: We have an option you can select that "closes floors". We usually like the effect it gives when floors are open and you can see below and upwards into other rooms, as the verticallity of our generator is unique and a very strong point of it. But, you can force floors to generate more closed area's. you can even force floors for the main corridor and not force floors for the side corridors if you so choose.

6: The prefabs need to fit the grid-size that's set for the generator, else you will get gaps. As we wanted to optimize it as much as possible we use planes that we close off along the sides where necessary. Resulting in a pretty complex system of planes and smaller planes that we use to guarantee a closed dungeon with nicely fitting walls. As mentioned above, you can change the grid-size manually if you so want, but this will mean you will also have to change all planes we use for the generation process. Using your own prefabs just means that you should take a good look at ours and see if yours are of the correct size to fit them in. Object wise we have a lot of freedom of course, as its up to you to scale them properly (scaling can be done within our object placement tool we supply with the generator).

7: The scifi style has experienced some delays, but we are actually currently working on it again. It will still take a while as we really want to deliver a style that really uses all the options our generator offers. We also want to really make the overall style fit very well together. I will post some screens of our current work in progress on this after this post. We are also trying to make it easy for users to change certain features in the style. for example, we are trying to have all the led lights we use to be in a seperate material so you can change the color of these to really change the look of the level (or make it possible to change the color while playing in the dungeon) It will still take us a while to properly texture all objects we are making for it as well.

8: We don't know what other assets might work well with our generator. But seeing that its possible to scale and reuse textures from other assets i would say with work anything can be used to have that style be generated with our Generator. If you just want an out of the box scifi style, maybe wait a bit longer for ours.

Hope this helps a bit, and i will PM you to see if i can organize a little demo with you.

edit: Spaceray, can you start a conversation with me, as it seems you have this option disabled. or send me an email at daan4games@gmail.com

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  40. primus88

primus88

HI,

I bought this asset with the intention of randomizing my levels. Meaning that the player will enter different areas and each area will be a terrain wit randomized props. Is it possible to achieve this (basically scattering and grouping assets like trees, ruins, rocks and enemy spawns)?

Also is there a way for live support (through skype and what not) to clarify some quick questions?

Br,
    Radu

41. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Hi guys!
    As you might have read, we've finally found the time to create new styles! As promised we will start with a SciFi style, using our new Dungeon Generator to the max. We've designed our basic colors and shapes and ar now busy with the 3D models. When we're happy with those we will start texturing them. And we will be adding some scripts and animations that will be unique for this style and can be plugged in to the generator, giving more interaction! (switches that change the colors of all the neonLights, robots that have their own tubes for thansportation, and more stuff like that.)
    Today we've gotten to a point that we can show some screenshots of our progress: 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 01.jpg

42. Archania

Archania

Looks fantastic.

43. hopeful

hopeful

Is any of the previous art still in the plan? I liked some of the earlier drafts.

44. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

I think some previous art will be in there too. That version was made with the old generator, so we needed to redesign all the parts, but now that we've got is giong we can re-use some of the old concepts, like the doors, lights and textures

hopeful likes this.
  45. vincentellis

vincentellis

Any news on the features of the new generator?

46. D4Games

D4Games

Hey, we have brought out a new version this year and currently are working on an expansion pack that will add a scifi style to be used with the generator. Newest features can be found a few posts back. We are aware that new things can always be added, but are not currently working on updating them, more like collecting them a bit. We are adding some special features to the scifi environment though. We are working on having droids fly around the levels when its generated and have split the style into 3 distinct settings, engineering/development, storage and energy/factory. This gave us more freedom in what objects to build for it. Also means we are not finished yet ;) as we are hard at work trying out different things to make the style work. As previous E.T.A's didnt really work out, we are currently not sure when we will be finished. Seeing we are making a lot of models with their own textures and everything, it will probably still take a while.

47. hopeful

hopeful

Suggestions for rounding out the sci-fi setting: elevator, teleporter, prison cells, hangar, heavy security doors, windows / window mouldings.

(No doubt we can make our own models and apply some colors/textures from the kit to get it match, but I figure it doesn't hurt to make the suggestion.)

48. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi D4Games, I've started playing with V2 RDG. I was just wondering how the staircase generation works? I've been trying to get staircases created with my own dungeon style, but it doesn't seem to ever create any.

It works fine in the Fantasy theme one, so I copied the entire prefab into the Up and Down folders under staircase.

Also interestingly, when I use the General theme unmodified, it also never seems to generate staircases in the dungeons even if I play with the settings such as forcing specific templates. Any hints?

49. D4Games

D4Games

Hey Eyehawk, Staircases work as any other templates. You use the Template placer to generate the required spaces that the generator needs to reserve for it and in that template placer you select an object that will be instantiated as part of the template. the outer edges of the reserved spaces will still check for walls and such to make sure the dungeon is closed, but anything inside the reserved spaces should be covered by the model.

To be able to differentiate between "normal" template rooms and staircases we use a separate resource folder for the up and down staircase templates. The generator actually checks if the folder contains any staircase templates when giving you the option to select the amount of staircases up or down (or normal templates). Our generic theme doesn't contain any staircases (i think) so it will not give you the option for them.

We did try to document the steps needed for creating templates in our documentation, but if you need additional help send me a pm message and maybe i can skype with you guys to show how they are build.

50. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Ok thanks D4, I'll re-look at the documentation for the general template rooms first and pm you if I can't get it to work.

By the way, I was able to copy other things like end rooms, walls and other components to my new style folder which seemed to work. Would this be an issue for the stairs or does it basically work in the same way, i.e. you should be able to copy the stairs template rooms across.

(NB: the generic one does have stair cases under the Up & Down folders)