Search Unity

Random Dungeon Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Digital-Forest, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Random Dungeon Generator site.jpg

Generate completely three dimensional, ready to play dungeons with corridors, staircases, elevators, template rooms, bridges pillars, objects and much much more.
    The dungeon will always generate a clear path from beginning to end.
    Determine the look and feel of the dungeon with easy to use dungeon setup tools. Control size shape, style placements and much more.
    Use your own models to generate your own unique style!
    Never the same dungeon twice!

ARDG01.jpg

For more information check out our website
    Go to the assetstore

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. D4Games

D4Games

Currently we have a complete new version of the Generator uploaded, version 2.0 ! Including many new features, go to page 3 for more news about this new version

/D4Games

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  3. Catacomber

Catacomber

This is really wonderful. I see in your careful documentation how to add items of my own to spawn while the dungeon is generating. It's also fairly easy to add items manually.

Your kit is more than worth it just for the prefabs. I had some questions but answered them by carefully reading your documentation. : )

It's the best dungeon generator I've tried so far. And I have it working nicely with the ORK RPG Kit.

Edited after reading the documentation more thoroughly. : )

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. kalamona

kalamona

Wow, this one seems pretty useful!

5. Catacomber

Catacomber

Would it be possible for you to do a cave add-on? I know from reading the documentation I could make it myself using the cave prefabs I have and I'll try but I think it would be a useful addon for your wonderful generator. Thank you for this great tool. Left you five stars!

It would be helpful if you could make a mobile version of the assets. I was able quickly to change the shaders of all the materials to mobile and change the textures to 512, but to have a mobile set, with a texture atlas : ) would be great.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Looks great!

7. D4Games

D4Games

Hi Catacomber, thanks for the great responses and we are happy to hear you found your answers in our documentation. If you still have some questions send us an email and we can try and explain some details if needed.

For the additional models, it does take a bit of time to model nice new fitting models with proper textures and we had to stop somewhere for a finished product that was still affordable. So currently we aimed at a PC version and kept the price to 75 dollars, yes, already pretty high.

We could take a look at the 512 mobile textures and either expand with a texture/model add-on pack or see if its worth it to add as a free update. We are both also working on other projects, so sadly enough time is money for us and we do have to see what we can do. We are also currently playing around with a sci-fi setting and if we manage to finish that, we will probably make some more diverse tools/packages to pick and choose from. But give us a bit of time ;)

Also thanks Kalamona and Aiursrage2k for the responses.

8. D4Games

D4Games

Some points about dungeon size

We wanted to warn people about using too big of a dungeon. Currently we have set the maximum amount of corridors at 30 with a 25% chance of side corridors also at max (10). If you then also set the part size per corridor (min and max at 10 for both main and side corridors) and have the percentage of rooms relatively high, you can have Unity generate an entire subterranean city instead of a dungeon.

We currently have the dungeon generator look at each corridor part, both main and side corridor and then apply the chance of room on each generated part (With max settings this will be average of up to 7800 corridor parts). This will result in a massive dungeon and a lot of overlap on the rooms, especially with a high chance of rooms per corridor part.

We once generated a dungeon with 6300 parts (combined room and corridors) and it took 90 minutes and resulted in a huge dungeon that unity had issues with handling properly. We got it to play at a whopping 2 frames per second so we won’t advice this.
    If you want to check if your dungeon is not getting too heavy to calculate, we advice to use the full feedback option (introduced in version 3) with all the debug.logs active in the “Buildingdungeon” function in the RandomdungeonGeneratorEditor script (yes, we are aware of some grammar issues /dyslectic Dutchman)

(script is found at: /RandomDungeonGenerator/Scripts/Editor/ RandomdungeonGeneratorEditor.cs)

This will allow you to see how many parts it’s calculating with and we have added a stop building dungeon button.
    We have these size settings for people to be able to make a choice between long straight corridors or twisty smaller ones. We could lower the maximum numbers again, to prevent unity from generating dungeons that are too big, but we rather have the choices be there for better random effects.

9. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Hi all!

I'm busy with another project for Unity, a tool for level designers where you can open doors, activate lights, make stuff move etc. in a drag and drop and very visual way. To present this new tool I wanted a sci-fi setting, so I figured 'why not use the dungeon generator to create the levels?!'
    So I've been starting on the walls, corridors and staircase models, and it's starting to look like a nice sci-fi setting!
    Here's a sneak peek what the Dungeon Generator is generating :)

$SciFi1.jpg

10. Archania

Archania

This looks really cool. As long as I can add the different tiles for floor,ceiling, walls, etc from another package and use this to generate the areas, it is bought this week.

11. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Amazing example. You add a full scifi set (both ship insides and building insides) to this and I will buy it. Think also about adding a few more sets like modern post apocalips ect..

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The scifi one looks great as well. Can it work for top down style game (I thinking like binding of issac). Can it do it in real-time?

13. D4Games

D4Games

Top down can work, but you will have to fiddle a bit with line of sight probably to have only parts shown that characters can actually see, if you care about that stuff. Else you can turn off staircases during generation so you only get one layer and no overlapping level.
    We currently have each "part" setup so that all models are attached to a single point or collider as we call them in a 5x5x5 grid. So this might be used for easy access to the models for turning them on and off for line of sight purposes. We did use planes for the walls, so the camera automatically sees through those when your behind them. So this does make top down easier as the ceilings wont show up.

I take the real time question is aimed at if it can generate on play mode. We currently build the dungeon insteps, building these colliders, then closing the dungeon and then adding objects. The building of a dungeon can be done both in edit mode or full random on run time. The demo is actually an example of this, when you reach the green flamy thingy it generates a new random dungeon. Its set to a small dungeon for sake of speed as its a webplayer demo, but it only takes a few seconds for pretty big levels.
    If you want the dungeon to "grow" while exploring it, then, nope thats not how we build this generator :)

As for the sci-fi setting, we like to work on it, but as you might understand, making the models, and especially the textures (wrap around, for good connections etc.) does take a lot of time, so don't expect it anytime soon, srry. We also have plans for expanding the models for some more settings in the fantasy style dungeon. I would love a wizards workshop and a mining/smithing style. Guess i have to learn how to 3d model to help our 3d modeler :)

14. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Since I'm building Sci-Fi stuff, building a complete package is a pretty good idea. This will take some time though, especially if I want to make the package just as big as the Fantasy package.
    If anyone has suggestions for models for the Sci-Fi pack, this could speed it up a bit!

I'm now busy with a control-room where you have stuff like Sci-Fi chairs, transparent display screens, computers etc.

So any suggestion for styles, and models inside there styles are welcome :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  15. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Archania, this depends on the size of the tiles you want to implement.
    These are the sizes the tiles need to be (x,y,z):
    Floor: 5x0.5x5 without a bottom plane (the ceiling plane will be placed here if there's a corridor underneath it)
    Ceiling: 5x0x5 just a plane
    wall: 0x4.5x5 again just a plane, where the bottom 0.5 will be under the floor tile if it's on the ground floor

We chose for these exact proportions so that we could use planes instead of solid object to keep the draw calls to an absolute minimal. You can play with the thickness of walls, but we can't guarantee it will not overlap in corners.

We recommend if you want to change the shape of the wall, ceiling or floor tiles, that you add shapes pointing inside the dungeon, so the base of the dungeon will stay closed.

16. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Besides the control room:

Hanger bay: futuristic barrels, shipping crates and containers, ship(mech, or other vehicle) lifts, movable ladders (ship entry)
    Engine room: various engine parts, control stations. lots of pipes,
    Cargo bay:futuristic barrels, shipping crates and containers, loading pallets, loading vehicles, repair tools and spare parts.
    Messhall: tables and chairs, serving counter and personal food distribution stations, trash disposal units.
    Personal quarters: beds, chairs, communications area, lockers, bathroom
    Physical training room: workout equipment
    Armory: weapon racks and lockers

This would be a great set for ships and buildings or bunkers. We would just leave out say an engine room for bunkers or building ect.. Much of the variation in the set you have and the new ones could also be obtained with adding being able to set texture sets for each set also. so scifi could become more industrial or post modern, ect..

I love your scifi style btw. If you make the whole set in this style that is high future scifi but also include a more post modern near future scifi texture variation that would seal the deal for me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  17. Catacomber

Catacomber

I know you designed this for PC but I have it working very comfortably on iPhone mobile after changing the shaders to mobile shaders and doing some other mobile tweaks. I use it for building levels. This is on an iPod. FPS meter is on the left. The max an iPod can do is 30. This is first person.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  18. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Awesome work Catacomber! Hope you will put it in the App Store one day, so I can buy it and we can behold out first offspring :)

How big is this dungeon, and does it have a continuous frame rate, or are there some visually heavy areas?

You can also try the light baking and occlusion, should work with the generated level (if you don't generate in runtime)

Keep up the great work!

19. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

20. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great tut. Please make more. I had planned on waiting till the scifi set was done but I am going to pick this up next week.

21. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I also wanted to know if you guys planned on making video tutorials for dummies. Many kits in the community are just catching up on these. The ones that have a good set of video tutorials are the highest sellers on the store.

Do you guys have anymore pics of the scifi set?

22. JollyJenkins

JollyJenkins

A caramel tiger has been impressed. :)

23. Catacomber

Catacomber

Sorry for late reply, I was away. The dungeon levels are small--three or four corridors, a staircase and a few rooms. The fps slows when you approach elaborate stairs, but is still ok and when you approach the green smoke, which I'm using as a teleporter but still ok. If there are too many objects, I just take them out and add my own. Thanks.

24. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Any shots on the scifi levels yet?

25. D4Games

D4Games

Hi Dreamlarp and others eagerly waiting on a SciFi setting for the dungeon generator.

Currently both of us got some big new projects offered to us, sadly taking up a lot of time. We are unable to spend a lot of time on this setting for now. I am afraid i probably wont have much time until the end of the year. My colleague from Digital Forest has high chances on a 10 month project :/ so a first careful eta is maybe January for a real expansion of models in the scifi direction. We both enjoy the feedback and results we have gotten on the dungeon generator. I actually needed it for a game I'm developing and as it was taking shape we both decided it was worth the extra bit to release it as a tool for other unity users to enjoy, but currently adding a scifi setting is not our main focus. Digital Forest needed a few scifi models for another project hence he added them and the results were promising, but with the new big project looming its difficult to promise a full model pack on a short term.
    sorry but we will keep you updated if anything changes.

D4Games

26. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

oh man. Too bad I was looking forward to seeing that pack. But does your site have a tutorial on how to use say another scifi pack or other model pack with your kit?

27. D4Games

D4Games

Hi people,

just wanted to let you all know about a new upgrade we are currently planning. We have had a lot of feedback from a lot of people that gave us a nice list of features you all want to see in our dungeon generator. We are also really happy to see that we seem to be one of the few generators that introduce stairs to make really interesting first person levels. But we can improve, so here is a list of some features we are working on for a big update currently planned towards January (but no guarantees) .

1. option to generate different zones that can be locked by generic keys
    2. Have a wishlist of buildingblocks or a fixed sequence per zone
    3. seed generation
    4. better way of connections between corridors and rooms (yes, more doors)
    5. a staircase editor
    6. a prefab editor (build your own rooms that can be generated in the dungeon)

To accomplish all these items we kind of restarted and changed the way we buildup the levels. Resulting in a lot more options how to build the levels. For this we also had to make some changes that prevents us from reusing as much as we hoped for, meaning it will still take a while to complete all the features. But we are hard at work and are still open for suggestions. One that we received recently asked for a way to set some of the level features on runtime as a result of the level before. A good idea and one that we still need to think about how we can best implement something like this. I am thinking along the lines of having a level sequencer that you can setup to generate a certain set of levels in a row, each with their own settings. Or have it randomize a preset that has been saved when generating a new dungeon.

Next to this we are also working on improving the speed of the generation process and optimizing the amount of planes we generate (less but bigger planes).

Keep you posted

Digital Forest and D4Games

28. Infernomaster

Infernomaster

Hi,
    Sadly enough the dungeon generator isn't working for me :-(.
    I keep getting this error, and I can't seem to find a way to fix it.
    It pops up directly when starting the generation process and keeps popping up like a billion times! Anyway, the result is that nothing is being generated but a bunch of errors.

Might this be because I use unity 4.3?

29. D4Games

D4Games

Hi infernoMaster,

i think i know what the problem is. Send you a message, if problem persist, let us know.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  30. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

As you may have noticed, we have been working on a new version. The code will be completely rewritten. Daan is doing mainly all the programming, and I'm helping out where I can. As soon as we have the basics ready I can start creating new models. We both have spent quite some time at discussing how to build the dungeon so that it's way more powerful and has a bigger game-play element to it, even without enemies.
    In short this is how we build it up:
    Step 1: Create the outer walls and other essentials.
    This is the main shape of the dungeon so ensure it is closed properly, doors at the right locations, staircases so you can get everywhere AND pillars and bridges at locations where it looks logical (new stuff! to create a more believable structure.)
    Step2 Inlays:
    This will create shapes that curve the dungeon in a certain style (yes, completely new!) All we did in our old version was some rounded corners and some frames. In this version you can have things like stones sticking out, a lava sewer under under your feet, a round plateau in the middle of the room etc. This will make the dungeon look way less grid based.
    Step 3 Models:
    The models will be placed in a similar way as in the old version, but they can also be placed on holders. This is a location that can be put on any object in the 'inlays' and 'main structure', so that you can for instance create a torch on a Pillar at any location. This gives a more believable and less generated result then before.

Daan already mentioned some of these changes, but here are some more details
    -Locked area's which can be opened by either a 'key' or a 'lever'. You can even have a room inside a room, where the first one is locked with a key and the second one with a lever.
    -Prefab rooms. They can be any shape and be pre-decorated. For instance a room that's completely circular with a huge throne in the middle.
    -End rooms in dead ends. For a more realistic result.
    -Styles per zone, to really give an idea of logical buildup.

The list goes on and on... We hope you have the patience to wait till we finish it...

Here's a sneek peek at a model of a staircase that's now possible with this version!
    $staircasehuge.jpg

31. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Some time ago you posted the beginnings of a scifi set. Will you include both fantasy and scifi in the new release?

32. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Yes.
    One of the main reasons for re programming the Dungeon Generator was because of the limitations we noticed during the modeling of the SciFi setting. I wanted to create lights on the floor like the emergency lights you see in airplanes. But because we didn't have a sense or direction in the old version we couldn't make the lights go around corners. For this to work, we needed to give the corridors a north south east and west direction, but it would require a rebuild of the script.

33. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

34. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Really looking forward to the new version! The current version is already way ahead of anything else, so this will be amazing :cool:

35. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

We are getting close to finishing step 1 of the dungeon generator.
    Step 1: Create the outer walls and other essentials.

There are way more checks then in the old version, because of the difference in corridors, rooms and template area's. In the new version you can have windows that are open or closed and floors that you can see through. This gives a very interesting result even if it are just empty rooms. The 'template' rooms are a huge contribution to the generator. We can create any staircase we want with multiple exitpoints, and have area's where the walls, floors and ceilings have a completely organic shape!
    The locked area's are also operational. We drop a key somewhere in the area's before the locked one which when picked up opens the doors.

If you imagine this is just the basic shape of the dungeon and we will still add rounded area's and models in step 2 and 3, the end result will be many times better than the old version!!!

here are some screenshots of generated dungeons with just Step 1 and default walls floors, grills, and textures:
    $Screenshot04.jpg

$Screenshot01.jpg

$Screenshot02.jpg

$Screenshot03.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  36. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

We've started with Phase 2! Inlays.
    This will be the phase where we add shapes to the dungeon that weren't possible in the old version. Here are some screenshots of a Dome cut out of the roof and a bridge that's higher than the main floor of that grid.
    $Screenshot05.jpg
    $Screenshot06.jpg

37. D4Games

D4Games

We are hard at work with the new inlay system for better control over placement of dungeon defining features. We are still trying out different models and i'm testing using a non pro version of unity, so not that many shadows, but here are some nice pictures of dungeons generated with the push of a button :) and yes, i was testing the new pillars that can be generated as part of a room now...Makes for some impressive entry halls.

$DungeonDomeInlay.png
    >high room with pillars and a central dome

$DungeonInlays.png
    >multiple staircases fit behind each other, and some pillars

$DungeonPillars.png
    >big high halls with staircases. Welcome to our dungeon generator !

38. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Wow, Do you have any pics of the scifi new stuff?

39. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Here you go Dreamlarp. It's in no way finished, but we are busy with a SciFi version ;)

$Screenshot10.jpg

40. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I am in shock and awe and sooo happy. Great look BTW.

41. vincentellis

vincentellis

Can you elaborate on how the prefab room system works? Can we design a scene inside unity, create a prefab from it and then use with the generator?

42. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

Yes, with the new version you can create a template room, where you decide where the entrance and exits are, any size as long as it is fits our grid (but you can have your own walls if you want a non rectangular shape) and any prefab (which can have its own scripts).
    You can also choose to let the dungeon 'grow' over the template part, which means that if you don't force the walls, ceiling and floor to be part of the Tamplate, it will not create them when touching another part of the dungeon.
    For instance a Template of a fountain, where the ceiling and walls are not forced, will potentially be inside a bigger room touching the template.

43. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

How does pathfinding work on infinite dungeons like in the web player?

I assume you don't have pathfinding as part of dungeon creation, if I am correct will yall ever add it as the last step in the creation of a dungeon so that at generation pathing for enemies is already done?

44. vincentellis

vincentellis

45. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi Digital Forest Team! Great work - I'm really excited about the template room(s). This will allow me to do some preset enemy/trap set ups which will be great. I started playing with the kit again after the new year and combined it with K4's Sci Fi Kit. I'm making a survival horror sci-fi game with it :)

$coor.jpg $coor2.jpg $level.jpg $stairs.jpg

46. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

@OneShotGG - I've been getting quite good results with Aron Granberg's Astar. His Layered Grid Graph seems to work best for overlapping levels. However if you don't intend to have overlapping levels, you can use any of the other graphs.

It's well documented and is pretty easy to get going with all the scripts that come with it.

47. Archania

Archania

Eyehawk. The pics that you are showing is from the dungeon creator right? Thinking about getting it but since it looks like tou swapped out the different walls etc just wanting to know how complicated it was and if you had to modify a lot of things so it would work correctly. Thanks

48. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

How well would this integrate with something like this pack: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/197205-Underworld-modular-cave-pack-RELEASED

In the Underworld pack, every piece is basically some multiple of 10x10 squares with vertical stairs going up or down by 4 units. Everything is a full corridor or room, so no separate wall or floor meshes. It looks like the current version wouldn't be able to make something out of pieces like that. Will the upcoming version? You said it allows more customization of rooms. If the user could add some sort of data component to a prefab saying what its grid snap settings are and where the doors/walls are on it that would be awesome and allow this generator to be used with a lot of the modular packs on the asset store. Or if you used some kind of system of letting the user overlay bounding boxes or markers onto the prefab to tell the generator where the doors and edges are, and it could figure out how to rotate pieces to get them to line up. Any info?

49. Digital-Forest

Digital-Forest

We can't give you an ETA yet I'm afraid, we are both quite busy with other (paid) projects that have priority at the moment. We will however continue with the Generator next month and keep you guys posted.
    Thanks for all the ideas and comments so far, it's really useful to us!

We have several ways to create a dungeon thanks to the prefab rooms. Apart from having checks for corners, crossings, dead-ends and such in the corridors (which can replace the normal buildup with a 1 model part), you can use prefab rooms as a 1 tile part, which give you the ability to create completely fixed parts (no separate walls and floor.)

50. Archania

Archania

Sounds great. Understand completely about paid work being the top priority and also glad you still are thinking about this asset.
    Sold.
    Hopefully you'll get a chance next month to finish the upgrade.
    Keep it up.