Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Multiplayer RakNet Networking Solution

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by VictorZed, Jun 25, 2019.

?

Did you like the demo?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VictorZed

VictorZed

Hello! When developing my game, I was faced with the fact that the Unity engine does not have a stable network (removed uNet), and I had to make my network solution based on the RakNet cross-platform network engine ...
    The engine itself is quite simple to use, there are no unnecessary functions ... In fact, what does a developer need? Just send and receive a packet from the client to the server or vice versa ... In general, I prepared a demonstration of my game, in which I applied this network engine and put the client and server in one application ...

What has a demo?
    - ConVars (client & server side)
    - Debug Console (Key - F11)
    - Network Info (Key - F5)
    - Chat Commands (/help - for show all available commands)
    - Dedicated server console (for run use -batchmode argument)
    - Client Prediction & Server Reconcilliation (Lag compensation)
    - Low traffic consumption

Demo Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yoowdbUcaKexBW8XfB7jkEQmlkV_VTBn

See Github: https://github.com/ep1s0de3/RakNet_Networking

WARNING! When importing RakNet.dll in your project toggle checkbox on x86_64

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    akuno and TiToMoskito like this.
  2. VictorZed

VictorZed

Wow! Watch video :)

3. Dareheim

Dareheim

So what? Let's source:D

4. VictorZed

VictorZed

I am still adding code to make it convenient and understandable to use in your projects ... I will post it when end writting:) (in a couple of days)

5. VictorZed

VictorZed

6. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Thank you very much, would you share the server console part?

7. VictorZed

VictorZed

I am still writing my project, when I finish with it I will lay out the source code on github

8. F-R-O-S-T-Y

F-R-O-S-T-Y

Nice job. I wonder why was RakNet deprecated.

VictorZed and akuno like this.
  9. OndrejP

OndrejP

I wish Unity stopped "experimenting" with their networking tech and properly integrated latest RakNet as "basic" networking level. Then build the rest (HLAPI) on top of that.

RakNet is high-performance, stable networking library, which powers a lot of games. It's reliable and proven by time. I consider it industry standard.

I don't like current "void", UNet is depracated, LLAPI will be depracated and current state of new tech is unusable (e.g. more than 32 packets waiting = silent dropping them - new Unity Transport). Couldn't they keep HLAPI and LLAPI little longer, fixing bugs until new tech is ready?

We have successful product on Steam Early Access and currently facing decision what tech to use to implement multiplayer (we postponed the decision as long as we could). I've tested UNet few years ago and wasn't happy with it. We want something which can be deployed on demand by us and by community (dedicated servers) - no hosted solution. Also we're likely to write our own high-level tech on top of whatever we end up using.

I'm slowly starting to think that best solution for us will be what author of this topic did (with Linux / Mac support)

EDIT: There's one interesting thing, Valve open-sourced their API and networking library they are using for DOTA and CS:GO. It's part of SteamSDK, which we already integrated (but can be also used without it and works well with dedicated servers). The bonus feature is that non-steam version (GOG, Discord store, other platforms) of your game can use it and connect to Steam version of your game.

More info:
    https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/api/ISteamNetworkingSockets

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    VictorZed likes this.
  10. VictorZed

VictorZed

because the developers of the engine supposedly made a new network called uNet in 2014 or 2015, and deleted RakNet which was part of Unity3D ... And now there is nothing at all, neither RakNet nor uNet ...

11. VictorZed

VictorZed

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Hey guys im trying to send an image from the server back to the client but it wont be received if its above some certain threshold, i tried increase the maxbandwitth but im never actually to receive these packets on the client

Okay never-mind I was sending it wrong. Thats what we need a low level library that we can actually use to do various things, I spent a few days trying to get photon to send/receive images from and to the server for the purpose of "streaming content" and couldnt do it because its too overegineered for 1 thing

Okay I was having some problems getting to run as an exe but fixed the problem by looking at the logs and determing you had to select x86_64

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. VictorZed

VictorZed

So large arrays of bytes need to be sent not entirely but in parts, otherwise the network stream will be suspended until the whole array is transferred ... And by the way, it is recommended to send such arrays not over one channel but over several ...

14. VictorZed

VictorZed

Watch my new videos... :);)

I rewrote most of the network code and now there are fewer lags. everything is done not in a while loop but in the FixedUpdate method

As you may have noticed, I create false delays and network packet loss ... The Clumsy 0.2 program helped me in this.

Dareheim likes this.
  15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I came up with a better method, instead of sending back images which was nonsense instead im going to actually stream video -- which might be better

16. Litwin

Litwin

Amazing!! :p

Are you using SLikeNet or original RakNet from github of the Oculos VR? You plan to release in github with features interpolation, predictions and etc?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    VictorZed likes this.
  17. VictorZed

VictorZed

I use the original RakNet

In the near future I will lay out the entire source code of the project on the github ... I can not say the exact date

Litwin likes this.
  18. Litwin

Litwin

Oh great, I'm glad to hear that. Have you had any further progress?

19. VictorZed

VictorZed

There is progress, but the fact is that I do not use ECS and the Job System, and all operations take place in one thread (main thread unity), I write code so that there are minimal processing costs ....

Litwin likes this.
  20. ixdeveloper

ixdeveloper

Nice to see someone else picking up RakNet! We have been using it for two years in a cross platform application (iOS and HoloLens), and it's been very stable and performant. Are you planning to look into the network layer as well? Ideally, I'd like to see something that is not sensitive to firewall settings etc. Maybe run the traffic as TLS over port 443?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  21. VictorZed

VictorZed

Before I started using RakNet, I tried to make a prototype of a multiplayer game using a new transport level, but then I realized that there was no documentation for it and I also took RakNet as an example

Joe-Censored likes this.
  22. F-R-O-S-T-Y

F-R-O-S-T-Y

@warfaredev, @ixdeveloper Have you tried using Dark Rift 2? If you have, how would you compare these 2 frameworks?

23. VictorZed

VictorZed

I have not used Dark Rift 2

24. ostermannjan

ostermannjan

@warfaredev nice job, I am currently playing around with raknet :D Can I ask, how do you instantiate gameobjects over the network? Or does everyone spawn everything locally and you sync them by unique ids, or something like that?

VictorZed likes this.
  25. VictorZed

VictorZed

I create the objects first on the server, set the properties for it, and then send the client information about the created object (asset id, network id, position, rotation)

26. ixdeveloper

ixdeveloper

VictorZed likes this.
  27. ixdeveloper

ixdeveloper

Haven't tried it either. Looks quite promising - although in our case we do like the ability to tweak the server ourselves with RakNet.

VictorZed likes this.