Search Unity

RaindropFX - Realistic Camera Lens Rain Effect

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zhongtianhu, Feb 24, 2018.

1. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

RaindropFX GPU solver for HDRP is coming! The performance has been greatly improved!

In version 3.0, you can choose to use CPU or GPU as your solver.

GPU.png

Attached Files:

one_one and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  2. ExcellencyHong

ExcellencyHong

Shaders Has a Error with HDRP 10.2.2..

Shader error in 'Custom/RaindropFX/WetSurface_HDRP': "Undefined punctual shadow filter algorithm" at com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@10.2.2/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowAlgorithms.hlsl(26)

the Screen Effect is worked anyway. but, others not worked..

3. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Please send email to hztmailbox@gmail.com, I'll send you a fixed version.

4. luniac

luniac

Wow hey that looks pretty cool, i presume i could adjust the code to create a bunch of random drops in a circular radius around the click?

Also it did look like the drops interact with each other but i can't tell how well.
    Is it possible for drops to join together to form bigger drops and only slide down once they become too large to stay in place?

5. luniac

luniac

I love the wiping feature in the new version, very cool!

6. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

At present, they are actually some independent water drops, but after post-processing, it looks that drops close to each other are merged. To achieve what you said, you can maintain a list of painting water drops separately, then merge the water drops that are close to each other, and judge that when the quality of water drops is large enough, then replace it with dynamic water drop.

I will create an example for you later :)

7. luniac

luniac

An example would be great!
    That would be everything i need for my project.

Thanks!

8. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

微信截图_20210307180131.png

RaindropFX Pro 3.0 for HDRP is released!

I received feedback from some users that the performance of version 2.5 (HDRP version) is poor, so in version 3.0, I focused on improving the performance of the solver. Now the batches of the CPU solver was reduced by half, and the performance was greatly improved!

In addition, another notable big update of version 3.0 is the GPU solver. Now you can choose CPU or GPU as your raindrop solver. GPU solver is still in beta version, only basic functions, if you find any BUG, please contact me in time.

I'm sorry that the last version didn't satisfy you due to performance issues, so I decided to provide free upgrade for version 3.0. Users who bought the old version don't need to pay any extra upgrade fees. ;)

Asset Store Links
    Standard Pipe Version: http://u3d.as/1M4D
    HDRP Version: http://u3d.as/1Un5

Release Notes
    *fixed: shader error in HDRP 10.2.2;
    *fixed: static mask only affect raindrop but not affect fog and depth-of-field;
    *added: half batches decreased (CPU solver);
    *added: dynamic wipe for object space version (CPU solver);
    *added: raindrop painting (screen space, CPU solver);
    *added: force LUT (affecting the flow direction of water droplets on object surface);
    *added: assembly definition;
    *added: dynamic scaling of full screen raindrop texture (no longer need to preset the size at the beginning of the game);
    *added: controllable fogging speed;
    *added: GPU screen space solver (beta);
    *added: GPU object space solver (beta);
    *added: fluids can interact with normal map (object space, GPU solver).

Video

ScreenShots
    batches.png
    wip.png
    surfaceRain.png

keeponshading likes this.
  9. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Looks great, on the CPU usage the video seems to show between 20-30ms for CPU use, how much of that is the Rain effect?

10. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Looking forward to version 3. Looks great so far.

11. Passeridae

Passeridae

Hi!
    I need a raindrop effect for windows in the interior scene. There are around 30 windows, 2-3 glass panels each. Only 6-8 windows are visible at a time. Will I face performance issues in this scenario if I use your asset for this? I don't need any physical interaction or behaviour, so it would be cool if I could disable all the simulation stuff and leave only the visual look of moving droplets.

12. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Some possible solution.

Combine the meshes for all windows of your "house" and generate an packed uv for it.
    Then run the rain Shader on it.

When you need add additional 2 geometrys for every window (in and out). Gives some more flexibility.

So you have pro window a in an out glass surface + the combined mesh for all windows who runs the rain shader.
    This method is used in the ArchVizProInteriorVol3_HDRP Asset with perfect performance.

I am also interessted in other possible solutions with RaindropFXPro.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  13. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

I'm sorry that I was writing my master's thesis this period, so didn't pay attention to the forum and didn't reply to you for a long time. I'm working in a game company now, only have time on weekends, so I can't pay much attention to the forum.

However, the plug-in will continue to be maintained and updated. If you need any help, please email me directly :)

14. Simondenhartog

Simondenhartog

Congratulations with your job at a game company! Are you still planning om making a URP version?

15. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Yes, but it maybe delayed :)

16. deanparker

deanparker

Picked up RaindropFX HDRP (v3 looks awesome), while I am waiting for the URP version.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  17. Velo222

Velo222

Hello, I've been using this asset for awhile, and it looks great. I love the effect. But currently it is unusable for me in one of my projects because it drops my game's fps in half, just with this asset alone. That is, the CPU version of it with the most features has massive performance issues for me. It literally drops my game's fps from ~50 down to ~25 fps.

The GPU version has much better performance, but of course lacks a lot of features (and I can't see how to get the rain droplets to be larger) with any noise texture I've tried.

I am using HDRP and RaindropFX Pro HDRP 3.1.1. I will email you directly as well, but just wanted to post this here in case you see this one as well.

Thanks for any help with the performance issues.

18. chitanblue

chitanblue

Hi, I bought this recently. The raindrops are a great size and ratio on a small window pane I have. But, when I scale that window up, everything looks big and blocky. Is there a way to reduce the size of everything? To "scale" this shader down so the drops are smaller? Thanks

19. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Can any users of this give some frame rates when using the effect, especially the wiper effect, looking at the videos the CPU use shows 30ms - 40ms for scenes with just the rain effect in, is this how much time the asset takes?

20. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Guessing this asset is no longer supported?

21. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! I have replied to your email :)

22. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Just increase 'Calc Rain Texture Size' of the 'Material Linker' component if you are using object space version plugin.

POPO-screenshot-20211020-162031.png

23. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! RaindropFX is highly configurable. The specific consumption depends on how to configure the effects you need.

For example, the wiper effect is very performance consuming because it needs to render an additional wipe mask in each frame. In addition, if you use a high roughness value to render frosted glass, it will be very expensive, too.

24. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Because of my work, I seldom watch the forum now, but the plug-in will still be maintained. If you need any help, email me directly :)

25. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

CoverImage_1950x1300.png

Hey Guys! :)

RaindropFX Pro for URP is released!

Asset Store Links
    Standard Pipe Version: http://u3d.as/1M4D
    HDRP Version: http://u3d.as/1Un5
    URP Version: https://u3d.as/2M2Z

Over the past year, I have received many inquiries about whether there will be a URP version RaindropFX and when it will be released.

Sorry for the delay, But now it's done!

Version 1.0 includes all basic functions except GPU solver.

One more thing, in the URP version, I replaced Gaussian Blur with Kawase Blur, it's quality is similar with Gaussian Blur but super fast (see the statistics below), so the performance of Raindrop solver will be greatly improved! ;)

20200406215007888.png

Video

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    milox777 likes this.
  26. marcell123455

marcell123455

Hi,

I try to setup a simple fast rain drop efferct for mobile rn. I got the effect working but when activating the postprocessing volume, my fps are tanking from arround 120 down to 35. So I guess something is missconfigured. I upgraded to the RaindropFXPro standard because I needed the radial wind effect, and performance wasn´t actually never a problem with the old one. I also want to say I have never used the postprocessing stack until now.

https://imgur.com/78jVV07

https://imgur.com/AUSEFkp

Any ideas how to tackle this down?

thanks

27. davidjfranco

davidjfranco

Hi there :)
    I'm in 2021.2.11f1, with dx11, hdrp 12, I get this error on importing the asset:
    Assets\RaindropFX_HDRP\Editor\RaindropFX_HDRPEditor.cs(62,26): error CS0115: 'RaindropFX_HDRPEditor.hasAdvancedMode': no suitable method found to override

28. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Just comment this line, it will work. It's weird error cuz you can even find this line in the official documentation. :confused:

29. Raimu

Raimu

Hi.
    I have two questions. I'm not in a hurry, so reply when you're free.

First, is there a GPU version of the wiper? or is there any possibility of it being added in the future?

Well, when I animate the position of an object with GPU material applied, the frame rate drops to 20 fps.
    (This could be due to a my bad PC, and I have not verified this enough)
    At least the CPU version worked fine.

Thanks.

30. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi Raimu! Sorry for the late reply!

1、Yes I can add GPU wiper for you, email me: hztmailbox@gmail.com with your purchase number and version of your plugin (which pipeline version), I'll send you new version plugin later :)

2、GPU version surface rain material will bake a surface information texture (to support correct physical interaction) once you changed the transform of your object, so may have performance issue. You can turn the baking tool off if you do not need it.

HZT

31. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

32. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Yes, but HDRP 14 is currently not supported, you can use HDRP 13 + DX 12

33. OdincoGaming

OdincoGaming

Any idea how to get this working for webgl builds?

34. OdincoGaming

OdincoGaming

had to include all the shaders in the graphics settings under "always include shaders"

35. OdincoGaming

OdincoGaming

unity particle systems not visible through object with this effect on it. (looking out of raindropFX window at rain particles)
    is there a setting im missing?

36. spikezart

spikezart

Hey there, Im using RaindropFX Pro URP v 1.5.1 with Unity 2020.3.31f1

It works in the editor runtime but doesn't load when I open a complied app.

Any suggestions for where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

37. spikezart

spikezart

38. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! That's because the rendering queue of transparent object is behind RaindropFX.
    Which rendering pipeline do you use?

39. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

spikezart likes this.
  40. spikezart

spikezart

HI there. Im having problems with URP on Unity 2021.3.13f1

The asset's instructions say add ‘RFX Blur Pass’ and ‘Raindrop FX_URP Render Feature’ to ‘Renderer Features’ in forward renderer but I don't have a forward renderer like this in URP. What I do have is URP-HighFidelity-Renderer universal renderer dada which has the option to select the rendering path to forward.

So in the renderer features I have the Raindrop FX_Blur Pass and the Raindrop FX_URP added and the Blur added to the blur pass and the screen blend added to the raindrop FX_URP.

This runs fine in the game run view but when compiled I have an (almost) white screen.

Has anyone got any suggestions for how to problem solve this?

Thanks

Attached Files:

41. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Have you tried to add all shaders of RaindropFX to 'Always Include Shaders'?
    You can find how to do that in 'README.pdf'

42. spikezart

spikezart

Thank you. Ive done that and now I can see the raindrops on the plane objects (windows) in the compiled app.
    I'll have to test by running the app as it previously would freeze before 7 hours running.

I have a particle VFX behind the plan objects with the rain effect but the particles can not be seen through the plane.

How can I set up the RaindropFXPro_URP configured planes to also show the particles through the planes?

I'm also not using Volume mode = global on my planes because it greys out the edit view.

Thanks

43. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! That's because the render queue of VFX is transparent, so first you can try to change the 'Render Pass Event' of 'Raindrop FX_Blur Pass' in the 'Renderer Features' settings to 'After Rendering Transparent'.

44. spikezart

spikezart

Sadly that only corrupts the object with the raindropFXpro on it.

Ive got the Raindrop FX_Blur Pass & Raindrop FX_URP added to URP-HighFidelity-Renderer. Is that correct since in my Unity version I don't have a dedicated forward rendering but it is set to forward (see attached) ?

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 08.54.21.png Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 08.59.36.png

45. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Sorry for the late reply!

Yes you should add 'Raindrop FX_Blur Pass' and 'Raindrop FX_URP' to all quality settings of your project.

What do you mean 'corrupts the object with the raindropFXpro on it'? Maybe you can record a video or take some screenshots and send to hztmailbox@gmail.com, I'll help you solve the problem.

46. khos

khos

47. khos

khos

Got that issue sorted :) by install post processing component. But would like to ask for help with another question, I want to control the raindrops on/off via a separate c# script.

I try to modify the boolean fadeout_fadein_switch:
    upload_2023-3-12_17-4-9.png

My code:
    RaindropFX.GetComponent<RaindropFX.RaindropFX_PPV>().fadeout_fadein_switch = new BoolParameter { value = false };

But get this error:
    ArgumentException: GetComponent requires that the requested component 'RaindropFX_PPV' derives from MonoBehaviour or Component or is an interface.

Can you advise how I should code this please?

48. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Try this:

RaindropFX_PPV ppv;
    this.GetComponent<PostProcessVolume>().sharedProfile.TryGetSettings<RaindropFX_PPV>(out ppv);
    ppv.fadeout_fadein_switch.value = value;

khos likes this.
  49. khos

khos

Awesome thanks, that works a treat! Now I can control the drops when it rains in game:
    upload_2023-3-14_23-14-33.png

Question again if ok, frame rate goes from 40/50 to 20s, is there any guideline on how to improve the FPS?

50. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!

Please send email with your purchase number to hztmailbox@gmail.com

I'll send you new version plugin with GPU solver :)

khos likes this.