Search Unity

RaindropFX - Realistic Camera Lens Rain Effect

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zhongtianhu, Feb 24, 2018.

1. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,

do you know an method to render the rain surface over crest ocean hdrp.

8.JPG

all other test were great,.... here in combination with mkglow and unity pp.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  2. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply! RaindropFX HDRP implements the screen space version based on _ColorPyramidTexture, so I guess crest ocean may rendered after post-processing, so the ocean was not rendered when RaindropFX HDRP sampled the background.

But I'm sorry I haven't used crest ocean, so I don't know how it is implemented. I cannot provide a specific solution for the time being. If you can leave me some detailed information about how the ocean is implemented, perhaps I can try to make some improvements.

3. m0nsky

m0nsky

I've been thinking about buying RaindropFX for HDRP. Would it be possible to add decal support so I can "project" RaindropFX on my existing materials? I would like to use this on car paint for example, but I'm not sure if this is currently possible.

4. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!

Currently RaindropFX does not support decal. But if you can write your own shader, you can pass the raindrop texture and wet texture to your own shader to draw the droplet effect. You can refer to the materialLinker.cs And wetSurface_ HDRP.shader in the package.

5. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

CoverImage_V2-3_1950x1300.png

RaindropFX Pro 2.50 (Standard & HDRP) is released!

Asset Store Links
    Standard Pipe Version: http://u3d.as/1M4D
    HDRP Version: http://u3d.as/1Un5

Added
    - dynamic wipe effect;
    - droplet pixelization for pixel style games;
    - screen rain mask.

Video

ScreenShots
    20200826221914.png
    20200826222434.png
    20200826222545.png

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

So I bought this asset a few months ago but now it says it is deprecated, so is there no upgrade path to this version. Also is this now purely a screen space effect? Can the wipe etc be applied to a mesh at all?

7. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!

I'm sorry I forgot to create upgrades from old package to the new package. It's now created.
    If you have bought 1.x version (for standard pipe and SRP in Unity 2018.4 and lower, deprecated), now you can upgrade to version 2.x with a few upgrade fee.(Since HDRP and URP in unity 2018.4+ using their built-in post-processing stack, now I have to maintain three different versions of RaindropFX, so the price has been slightly increased)
    If you have not bought 1.x, but have bought one of the three versions of 2.x, you can send me an email to get the other two rendering pipeline versions for free. (because unity stipulates that you can only upgrade from a lower price package to a higher price package, but the three versions of RaindropFX 2.x have the same price, so I can't create upgrades between them)

The wipe effect is currently for screen space only.

HZT

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  8. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Awesome, thanks for adding the upgrade packages. Just purchased the HDRP version.

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Will there be a none screen space wipe added?

10. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

It works great so far, but any tips how to use Raindrops with Crest HDRP? I tried to change the render queue manually but without success.

I tried to add the Object Space Version to my window objects, but then I can't see the water through the transparent windows. After changing the render queue, I get it working to see the water but then no effects from Raindrops are visible on the object.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    keeponshading likes this.
  11. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Yes, I'll add wipe effect for object space later.

keeponshading and m0nsky like this.
  12. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Good news but at the moment your Asset Store page is very misleading as it shows numerous videos of the wipe effect working in Object space, should you not perhaps remove those until you actually have that feature included. I would be a little miffed if I ran through your example videos, bought the asset and found no object space system present.

13. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

I'll try to figure out the problem. But I don't have an HDRP version crest ocean copy, so I might try to make the RaindropFX compatible with the standard pipeline version crest ocean for the time being.

14. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

All the wipe effect video is showing the system working on screen space, not object space. You can get the same effect as you can see on the video. The 'screen space' means wipers are in object space, but raindrops are in screen space. Currently the wipe effect is based on rendertexture, first we render the alpha channel of wipers, then subtract the wipers' part of the screen rain texture.

15. aloneandsuffering101

aloneandsuffering101

Can you share where you found that cloth you used in the wipe preview?

16. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Just a plane with 'cloth' component, it's pretty simple that you can create one by yourself. :)

17. keeponshading

keeponshading

Really great progress in the HDRP version.

I could prepare an free to use uv unfolded windscreen with animated wipers if there is a need.

Looking forward to use RaindropFX on an High End Car visualisations.
    Would be nice if you could integrate an special use case example for that.
    There further special effects like
    wind vector or lateral and longitudal g values you get from the driving physics to attract the direction of the raindrops.

fyi. This is the discoord from crest
    https://discord.com/invite/g7GpjDC
    I am sure that they send you an Crest HDRP copy to check compatibility.
    The integrated boats (boat demo) have windows in real live too.)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  18. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Okay, I will create a new version with external force. Btw, I have checked my mail box and the discoord account, but did not found the 'Crest HDRP copy'. (This is the first time I used discoord, maybe it stayed in a corner I didn't know?)

19. Dam-Pete

Dam-Pete

Hello. I need an effect for HDRP that emulates someone diving in the water with a diving mask. How adjustable is RaindropFX? Would it be somewhat easy to adjust it to this end? And can I apply the foggy effect without the raindrops?

20. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!

1. I don't quite understand this requirement. If you dive underwater, you don't need the effect of water drop movement, right? Or do you need to simulate the flow on the mask as the diver leaves the water?

2. Yes, you can apply the fog effect without the raindrops.

21. Dam-Pete

Dam-Pete

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the effect of water flowing on the mask. Would it be too difficult for me to adapt your effect to this purpose?

22. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,

when you clone the Unity Graphics Repro
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics.git

and you import the TestProject.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/tree/master/TestProjects/VisualEffectGraph_HDRP

There is an great VFX Graph TestDemo called
    \Graphics\TestProjects\VisualEffectGraph_HDRP\Assets\AllTests\VFXTests\GraphicsTests\21_DepthModules.unity

It spawn thousands of partices and has collision via depth with any geometry what is in camera frustrum.

I thinks this would be absolut great and pretty forward if you can combine it with your screen space version.

Water_DeptModulesII.JPG

and same Folder
    Collision.unity

Collision.JPG

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  23. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

It may be difficult to simulate this effect with RaindropFX because it's a dynamic effect from "water flow" to "water droplet movement", but RaindropFX can only simulate the movement of water droplets for the time being. The effect of large flow cannot be simulated temporarily (SPH method is more suitable to simulate this effect).

24. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Thank you for your suggestion! It looks interesting and I'll take a look.

But I think it's more suitable for object space version than screen space version.

I'm currently trying to add external force to object space version so that you can use it on your high end car visualisations. Force LUT generator is finished:

微信截图_20201028184552.png
    微信截图_20201028184531.png

keeponshading and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  25. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hey guys! RaindropFX HDRP version can now compatible with Crest Ocean HDRP, you can send me an email with your purchase number to try the fixed version for free!

微信截图_20201103141505.png

keeponshading and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  26. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

@zhongtianhu That is awesome. Great work, thank you! Send you an pm.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  27. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Hello i have a question, i look for a Raindrop system for a Carwindow like Cloudpunk, will that work on a Carmodel with texture what dynamic movement have?

28. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Dynamic motion support is under development, you need to wait for a while. ;)

Pandur1982 likes this.
  29. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Thx for your answer, i will wait so long ;)

30. luniac

luniac

is it possible to create a water spray effect? Like i tap on the screen on a phone, and in that screenspace position a splash of water is instantiated and drips down according to physics of plugin?

So like programmatically ill generate dynamic rain drops within a radius around tapped position on screen, and then let the plugin physics and settings automatically control the drops movement and stuff.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  31. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!
    It's okay to generate raindrops at the position you tapped, and let them drop down, I can write a script for you to do it. But I don't know which kind of 'spray effect' you need, could you please post an image so that I can see if RaindropFX can do that?

32. luniac

luniac

Wow if you could share a script that would be helpful, thanks, I could probably figure out the rest from there.

The spray is like the one at 19:41 in this video:

I'll play around with sizes and amount of drops spawned and all that kind of stuff myself, i just wasn't sure if its possible to programmatically spawn drops.

Although i just had a thought, if i spawn a drop on top of another drop, do they interact to combine into bigger drops? and the bigger the drop the more it will flow down with gravity?

or is there no interaction between drops?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  33. no00ob

no00ob

Hi,

I have a problem. Whenever I enable the "wiper" option in the screen post-processing stack version, my rain droplets start to flicker on and off and all of the fog just disappears, the demo scene works fine though am I missing something? Changing the wiper object doesn't help either.

34. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Watched your video, which is a little bit different from what I thought. I will try to do this effect, but it may not be as good as in the video.

I used to create a version that raindrops can interact with each other and merge to a big one, but it's a bit slow. So in current version, if droplet A is overlapped with B, A just wipe the overlapped part of B.

35. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Wipers should be put in a specific layer, default is 30, may be you have another big object in your scene and it's layer is also 30, so the camera is wrongly treat it as a wiper. You can try to change the wipe layer to another value.

微信截图_20201202160439.png

no00ob likes this.
  36. keeponshading

keeponshading

He. I use Vehicle physics pro and i get there
    vertical
    lateral,
    longitudal ,
    g values from the car.
    When you acecelerate, brake and so on you get these as output.

I could check if unity physics car or some other example can output these too.

I try to get reach this level.) + your dynamic wipe
    e.g When the car goes to right curve you simply get the according g value to move the drops to the left

I have some whipers who i can animate correct against to the windshield.
    A also can render out a mask for the area the whiper cleans during animation or erverything what you need.
    Simply define it. I can send it to you.

Unbenannt.JPG wh.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  37. RamType0

RamType0

How can I dynamically scale screen size?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  38. keeponshading

keeponshading

FYI. In case you did not know. Here s an old Unity Proect with some nice stuff inside.
    It only runs in the 5.5 Editor and it is not maintained anymore.
    https://github.com/sasa42/RainDropEffect/tree/master/ProjectSettings

e.g. drops left right movement over global wind parameter

wind2.JPG

For doing the water who is directly wiped by the whiper i plan to use in addition this Asset, Mudbun.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1303257382676504579

The rest could be done by your shader.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  39. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Oh, I watched the video, I think this effect is created by using 2D SPH method, each raindrop is a dynamic particle and can interact with each other and the wiper. RaindropFX is not suit for that effect. I'll try to recreate that effect by using new method.

40. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Thanks! I'll take a look.;)

41. keeponshading

keeponshading

42. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,

i did a fast test painting some rain particles on collision into the _maintex.

The particles are camera view adjusted.

2.JPG

1.JPG

When you fly fast forward or backward (end of the video) the rain particles change direction so that they could
    paint the camera plane or more influence the windscreen.

Do you think this could be usable to mix with your technique?

43. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Thanks for your sample scene! I have finished the HDRP version and sent it to your email.

44. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hey guys! New HDRP version RaindropFX is ready! The external force and the movement of the mesh itself can affect the flow direction of water drops. And dynamic wipe for object space is supported! Email me to try the new version! Video is in the attachment.

(Update package of the RaindropFX HDRP version encountered some problems during publishing process in Asset Store, so the new version can't be put on the shelves temporarily. I've contacted the support team, the problem should be solved soon :))

ScreenShot:
    微信截图_20201216183321.png

Attached Files:

45. keeponshading

keeponshading

The new external force directions with debug gizmos are just awesome. Thanks.

Rain_Direction.JPG

46. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hey guys!

I have received feedback from some users that the current HDRP version plugin cannot be used for the new version of HDRP (10.2.2). If you are using unity 2020 and HDRP 10.2.2, please wait for the new version.

RaindropFX Pro HDRP version 3.0.0 is under development, and the roadmap:

1. Add support for HDRP 10.2.2;

2. Add dynamic wipe for object space version;

3. Support for the external force and the movement of the object itself (affecting the flow direction of water droplets on object surface);

4. Add assembly definition;

5. Dynamic scaling of full screen raindrop texture (no longer need to preset the size at the beginning of the game);

6. Controllable fogging speed;

7. Optimize the overall efficiency of the plugin.

47. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Preview of version 3.0 is complete! You can email me to get a beta version (at present, the setup of the wipe effect in the object space is a little complicated, it will be simplified later).

48. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi! Does this meet your need? See attached video for details.

If necessary, dynamic raindrops can be added randomly (they will slide down by themselves)

微信截图_20201231185739.png

Attached Files:

49. tomraegan

tomraegan

Hi.

Does this work in URP?

Cheers.

50. zhongtianhu

zhongtianhu

Hi!

At present, there is no URP version.

I will develop a URP version after 3.0 version HDRP and standard pipe plug-in is finished.

tomraegan likes this.