Search Unity

Rainbow Hierarchy - highlighting often used objects in your scene

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PhannGor, Jan 22, 2018.

1. PhannGor

PhannGor

Have you ever thought about highlighting often used objects in your scene? This simple but colorful asset allows you to do that!

With Rainbow Hierarchy, you can set a custom icon and background for any object in the Hierarchy window.

Just hold the Alt key and click on any object in your scene. A configuration dialog will appear, and you'll be able to assign custom icon and background to the corresponding object. Your own one or chose from dozens of presets!

Features:
    • Assign a custom icon and background for any object in your Hierarchy window.
    • Change icon or background for multiple objects at once
    • Apply custom icon and background for all subfolders automatically
    • Optional row shading and hierarchy tree outlines
    • More than 150 icons available out of the box
    • Source code included
    We would appreciate if you'll rate it and leave feedback. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Haxel0rd and WinterboltGames like this.
  2. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Wow! this looks amazing sir! would definitely buy it but, what about a discount for people who own rainbow folders?

3. PhannGor

PhannGor

I would be glad to provide a discount for owners of the Rainbow Folders asset but the Asset Store doesn't provide such functionality. Will try to find some workaround ;)

WinterboltGames likes this.
  4. PhannGor

PhannGor

5. VMaxxx

VMaxxx

Hi PhannGor! Thank you for this plugin!
    I Have problems with compatibility for Unity 2018.3... lot of errors like :
    Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowHierarchy/Editor/Scripts/Menu/Components/ComponentIconStorage.cs(258,84): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `HoloLensInputModule' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Is there any solution - or we should wait for new update!
    Thanks

6. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @VMaxxx,

Sorry for late response, i'm not getting notifications from this forum from time to time...

Meanwhile, we've submitted a major update for Rainbow Hierarchy including support for Unity 2018.3 and it's now live on the Asset Store!

7. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Hey PhannGor,

The plugin is awesome, but I have a weird issue. I can't upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0, everytime I go to import the new package, it always shows me the old 1.1 tree (with icons and whatnot), and not the new 2.0 tree... have you seen this or heard of this happen?

Thanks!
    Matt

8. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

I've discovered why I can't get 2.0: the 2.0 package isn't available to Unity 2017, once I tested an upgrade of the project to 2018, it was downloading the updated package.

EDIT:
    Alright, this still isn't working properly (the upgrade path). Now all my links from the existing RainbowHierarchyConf gameobjects are broken, and if I manually try to fix the link, all the serialized content disappears. Is there a better upgrade path?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  9. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @f0ff886f,

You're right, Rainbow Hierarchy v2.0 available only for unity 2018.3 or greater. There is no way to use it on previous versions because they don't have required API for new features introduced in v2.0.

Regarding upgrade from v1.* to v2.0... There are significant changes in how data is stored in v2.0 so there is no way to upgrade from v1.* to v2.0 without loosing assigned icons for existing scenes. I recommend to use v2.0 for new projects while keeping v1.* for existing ones.

I'm really sorry for this inconvenience and I'll put a proper warning into documentation to avoid confusion for other users.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

That's OK, even confirmation that the behaviour I'm seeing is expected gives me some peace. We'll just forge ahead, since we need to move on to 2018.

PhannGor likes this.
  11. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

Actually, ther's one thing I can't understand. In one of my scenes, with RainbowHierarchy 2.0 installed (but I haven't configured anything), I can't find the old RainbowHierarchy GO, but its there, because its throwing an error, and I see it in the .unity YAML:

--- !u!1 &2077052894
    GameObject:
    m_ObjectHideFlags: 0
    m_CorrespondingSourceObject: {fileID: 0}
    m_PrefabInstance: {fileID: 0}
    m_PrefabAsset: {fileID: 0}
    serializedVersion: 6
    m_Component:
    - component: {fileID: 2077052896}
    - component: {fileID: 2077052895}
    m_Layer: 0
    m_Name: RainbowHierarchyConf
    m_TagString: EditorOnly
    m_Icon: {fileID: 0}
    m_NavMeshLayer: 0
    m_StaticEditorFlags: 0
    m_IsActive: 1

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'RainbowHierarchyConf') is missing!

When I deleted the RainbowHierarchy Assembly from the project, the GO still won't show in the Editor. Do you know how I can clean these stale gameobjects that are somehow hidden?

12. PhannGor

PhannGor

Here is a simple tool to get rid of hidden game objects (got it here). Just put this script in some Editor folder in your project and open its window from main menu: Tools -> Hidden GameObject Tools

Then you'll be able to delete old RainbowHierarchyConf from your scene.

Attached Files:

13. PhannGor

PhannGor

SUMMER SALE!
    Rainbow Hierarchy is 70% OFF! Hurry up to buy it today for only $4.99!

WinterboltGames likes this.
  14. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi, folks! We've finally reproduced and thereafter fixed a bug regarding significant Editor performance degradation that affected some of you.

This issue was related to the new feature of drawing project tree outlines and appeared only under a certain set of circumstances (heavy scriptable objects, large prefabs linked to each other, etc.) The funny thing is that it was relatively easy to fix but really hard to figure out what exactly should be fixed... Thank all of you who helped us to catch the cause and figure out what exactly goes wrong!

A new maintenance release is now available on the Asset Store.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  15. AlfieBooth

AlfieBooth

Hi there! Great asset. Any way of going about assigning backgrounds, icons etc through code? would be nice to get colour on object creation, especially in dense scenes. Or inherit color from parents.. etc etc

Cheers.

PhannGor likes this.
  16. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @AlfieBooth,

Thank you for your feedback! I like the idea to be able to assign icons procedurally. Will think about how it could be implemented in next versions of the Rainbow Hierarchy ;)

AlfieBooth likes this.
  17. RawProductionDev

RawProductionDev

Hey, is it possible to set some rules?
    for example:
    t_GameObject (so all gameobjects with prefix "t_" will get automaticly the same color etc. ?

bmouret likes this.
  18. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @RawProductionDev,

Unfortunately, this option is not available in the current version. We have it on the roadmap but no ETA for now.

19. Abelius

Abelius

Hello there.

Before I buy, I'd like to confirm if this makes Unity Editor to eat CPU resources like there's no tomorrow.

I've already tried some component scripts and other assets, and just as you colorize a game object I can hear the fans revving, CPU usage going to 30%, and 'Power Usage' getting red.

I see there's a 'performance fix' up there, but does it work for Unity 2019.3.x? And more importantly, will you offer a refund if I see that kind of performance drop happening?

Thank you for your time.

Ps.: Rules would be great, yes (+1).

20. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Abelius,

Not sure about tomorrow's day with all those things happening around the world in 2020, but there should be no extensive CPU or GPU usage when using Rainbow Folders and Rainbow Hierarchy assets. For sure, there will be some overhead needed to rendering those icons but it should not be significant even for older machines.

Yes, we've had a bug that caused CPU spikes in one of the previous version but even then it affected less than 100% users and were reproducible only in specific circumstances. We didn't get any complaints regarding performance after that bug was fixed.

Regarding refund, sure we will provide you a refund in case of a serious performance drop caused exclusively by our plugins and if we'll not able to fix it in a reasonable time.

21. PhannGor

PhannGor

Regarding advanced rules, we're thinking about regexp support for quite a long time. It's not that simple, unfortunately, but we'll try to find some time for this feature.

However, for the near future, we have a few a bit more important tasks like custom icons generator, etc.

22. Abelius

Abelius

Awesome. Thank you for replying. :D

23. davidrochin

davidrochin

Is this compatible with Odin and Peek in Unity 2019.3?

24. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @davidrochin,

It's definitely compatible with Odin Inspector because I'm using it a lot in my own project. Didn't tested Peek, but don't see any reason why it should not be compatible with.

davidrochin likes this.
  25. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi, where is the documentation? your link is not working on the asset store
    - when I add a custom background I cannot have text or it is invisible
    - I cannot change the text color
    - I want to switch off the icon symbols when I dont want icons.
    - blue is not blue but purple.
    - how do I add my own color pallet?

I was expecting a bit more for the price.
    But maybe it is in the documentation which is also not in the asset and your link is not working.

26. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @eagleeyez,

- Documentation is included and should be always imported with the package. That's the Asset Store requirement and they will not approve an asset without the documentation included. Please take a look at "../RainbowAssets/RainbowHierarchy/QuickStart.PDF".

Thank you for reporting the broken link on the Asset Store description, we'll fix it immediately. Here is the correct link to latest doc: http://www.borodar.com/stuff/rainbowhierarchy/docs/quickstart_v2.4.0.pdf

Regarding other your statements:

- Please make the background texture semi-transparent. That's the Editor limitation, there is no way (or at least we don't know it) to draw texture actually under the text. We're using semi-transparent icons for a default set of backgrounds and it works well.

- This asset doesn't provide a feature to change the text color

- Apply transparent icon if you don't want an icon to be shown for some game object

- Roses are red, violets are blue, make your own icons whatever color you want.

- You can apply your own textures for icon and/or background right from customization dialog:
    upload_2020-5-24_15-13-22.png
    In this case, additional texture input fields will be shown to allow you to drag your own textures here:
    upload_2020-5-24_15-14-16.png
    The recommended size for a custom icon is 16x16 px. Regarding background texture, its height should be 16 px and the width could be arbitrary.

We're sorry to hear that you've expected a bit more for the price than specified on the Asset Store page. We would be glad to make a refund for you, as well as for other customers who think that the price is too high but bought the asset anyway for an unknown reason.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback and let us know if you need our help or have other questions regarding assets!

27. -chris

-chris

Hi @PhannGor – does Rainbow Hierarchy work with Unity 2019.4?

28. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @-chris,

Yes, both Rainbow Hierarchy and Rainbow Folders work well with Unity 2019.3 or greater with new Editor UI. All the icons also were remade to match the new Editor UI look and feel.

-chris likes this.
  29. bmouret

bmouret

Yep definitely essential for a large production. Is there at least a way to share "name" rules with multiple scenes or whole project ?

Thanks

30. PhannGor

PhannGor

Unfortunately, there is no way at the moment to use regular expressions when creating rules, only exact matches. We have this feature on our roadmap but I can't say anything about the timing it will be implemented. We're a bit limited by Unity API in this scenario and using regular expressions for hierarchy rules has a big impact on general editor performance. Currently, we're looking for a way to optimize that, and only then will be able to include this feature in one of the upcoming releases.

31. Toolsmith

Toolsmith

Hi @PhannGor,

Rainbow Hierarchy is great, unfortunately it is not working in my project...
    I can see Rainbow Hierarchy working after opening my project with errors from any of my scripts in project. However, after fixing errors everything complies and Rainbow Hierarchy turns to normal Unity hierarchy window.

Tried on backup copies of my project - the same issue, on any other project it works just fine.
    Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

32. PhannGor

PhannGor

That sounds like a conflict with some other 3rd party asset. Please try to disable/remote other assets one by one so you'll be able to figure out which one is messing things up.

33. Piez0

Piez0

Hi @PhannGor - is there a way to set colors directly in the prefab and not only in the Scene file? Because from my current experience, the possibility to set colors is available directly on scene, but when editing a prefab, it is not possible to assign colors and save it in the prefab file. It would be much more useful as every dev from the team modifying the scene file upon setting some colors will result in endless merge conflicts.

34. PhannGor

PhannGor

Unfortunately, there is no possibility to apply to and store custom icons/backgrounds data in prefabs. We're looking for solutions to add this functionality in the future.

35. davidwhiffen

davidwhiffen

Hey PhannGor! First of all, LOVE this extension. Makes it so much easier to find objects in Unity. I can't work without it haha.

Question though, is there a way to set rules, so if an object is an image, it will automatically give it that icon?

36. davidwhiffen

davidwhiffen

Just read the earlier post! Glad you're working on it. Unity really needs to do that by default

PhannGor likes this.
  37. danielesuppo

danielesuppo

Hello and happy new year! Does Rainbow Hierarchy can be used with Rainbow Folder?
    I've read about issues with both asset installed, but maybe for previous versions...
    Many thanks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  38. PhannGor

PhannGor

@danielesuppo Happy New Year! Yes, those two assets are completely compatible. Just make sure you're using the latest versions for both of them.

39. JeffNIAR

JeffNIAR

Is there a version of this that can be applied to the animation editor window? Currently I have ~25 properties in an animation, and visually tracking from the name of the animation on the left, to the keys on the right, can be a mess.

40. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

Can I set the color of a gameobject via an editor script? I want to flag a gameobject is not valid in a particular scene from an editor script using color highlighting in the hierarchy.

Thanks, Jake

41. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @silentslack,

Yes, that should be possible by using:

Code (CSharp):
    1. HierarchyRuleset.AddRule(HierarchyRule rule)
    or

Code (CSharp):
    1. HierarchyRuleset.UpdateRule(GameObject selectedObject, HierarchyRule rule)
    At first, you need to create your HierarchyRule with KeyType.Object and corresponding HierarchyIcon/CoreBackground (or custom Texture2D for IconTexture/BackgroundTexture). Then you could call HierarchyRuleset.Add/UpdateRule with that HierarchyRule as a parameter.

upload_2021-2-25_12-37-12.png

42. grahamwell

grahamwell

Hi, I think I've got a bug for you. I love the asset, but with it installed I can no longer modify my script execution order in a project. When I try and add a new script to the Script Execution Order list, I get this:

ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowHierarchy/Assemblies/RainbowHierarchy.dll.meta ....

The full error is too long to politely post here. I am simply pressing the '+' button to add a new script, nothing to do with Rainbow Hirearchy. Deleting the asset solves the problem, after which I can re-install it, but I thought you might want to know. Unity version is 2020.2.0B2

43. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @grahamwell,

Just double-checked all the things and all works fine for me with Unity 2020.1.0f1, 2020.2.0f1, and 2020.2.6f1. Seems like you have the issue either with a beta version of Unity Editor or your Rainbow Hierarchy asset version is outdated.

Is it possible for you to update your Editor at least to 2020.1.0f1? Also, please make sure that the version of Rainbow Hierarchy in your project should be 2.5.0.

44. lcizzle

lcizzle

Not sure what happened but the latest version doesn't load in 2019.4 or 2020.3. In 2019.4 Unity complains of DLL error cannot load. In 2020.3 null exception and all the folders in the project tab disappear and Unity Editor goes nuts.

45. PhannGor

PhannGor

Seems like you're using the old version, please install the latest version of the Rainbow Hierarchy from the Asset Store. That should help with compatibility issues on the latest Unity Editor versions.

46. Bezoro

Bezoro

Is there a way to define a rule for a particular type?
    So every object of a particular type in the hierarchy gets the same icon.

GigaAshley likes this.
  47. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Bezoro,
    Unfortunately, that's not supported yet.

48. Bezoro

Bezoro

Ok.
    Looking forward to it if it ever becomes a feature.

49. GigaAshley

GigaAshley

Came here to suggest the same feature as Bezoro, Rainbow Hierarchy is great and it would be wonderful addition! I was going to add it myself before I realized it was dll's not scripts haha

50. Antonidiuss

Antonidiuss

Unity 2020.3.20f. Has big project. In scene view each application tick stuck for 1 sec. Unfortunately, profiler says that it is Rainbow Hierarchy. And after deleting GO of rainbow - project stops getting stucks on this point. Are there any notes or ideas how to improve this situation to keep rainbow hierarchy?

upload_2022-4-2_14-11-1.png