Search Unity

Rainbow Folders - Custom folder icons in the project browser? Easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PhannGor, Jun 18, 2016.

1. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks, I'll try again and will send you an email with a screen recording, if it's still happening.

PhannGor likes this.
  2. Peacewise

Peacewise

Hi PhannGor, thank you for a great asset!

I want to confirm the issue that Thygrr has (offset folder icons when integrating Unity with source control) is happening to me as well, on a non-beta build. I've been running LTS builds, and am currently on 2019.4.21f1.

upload_2021-3-12_20-48-34.png

I am also seeing an issue where folder icons remain at their minimum size, even when using the resizing slider:

upload_2021-3-12_20-50-38.png

The icons will fix themselves once you click anywhere in the area there, then they all pop to their normal size (which is still slightly smaller than normal folders).

3. schmosef

schmosef

I just tried again with Unity 2020.3.0f1. Given your comments, I suspected that my issue might have been caused by the Unity Package Manager, importing an old version of the asset. I cleared the local asset cache and redownloaded the asset.

That seems to have fixed my problem. Sorry for not figuring that out before getting you involved.

PhannGor likes this.
  4. ProtagonistKun

ProtagonistKun

Thank you for that, I got it all working the way I wanted it to! :)
    upload_2021-3-16_13-39-31.png

PhannGor likes this.
  5. PaulDyatlov

PaulDyatlov

Not working in 2021, causing errors in the Project window drawing process.

Attached Files:

6. PhannGor

PhannGor

Please update your version of the Rainbow Folders from the Asset Store. The latest release contains compatibility fixes for Unity 2021+

fulgorr likes this.
  7. fulgorr

fulgorr

Same for me...The asset is not working on version 2021.1.0f1. Cant click my Assets folder at all. Sometimes it shows folders but without textures, but usually does not show anything :(

Console shows this:
    upload_2021-3-24_16-23-29.png

8. PhannGor

PhannGor

Did you tried to update your version of the Rainbow Folders from the Asset Store? As I said before, the latest release contains compatibility fixes for Unity 2021+. But you need to go to the Package Manager and manually update and reimport the Rainbow Folders asset after upgrading your editor to v2021+

schmosef and fulgorr like this.
  9. fulgorr

fulgorr

Ou sry didn't notice it..Yeah, it helped.. thanks :)

PhannGor likes this.
  10. Magnesium

Magnesium

Hello, i upgraded to Unity 2021 and Rainbow Folders wasn't working any more. So i upgraded it, but later on i realized i was having too much issues with 2021 so went back to 2020, but now i get errors with the plugin.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.ProjectWindowAdapter..cctor () (at <fc40e65a88544a9da0ab4a60cedba294>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Borodar.RainbowFolders.ProjectWindowAdapter' threw an exception.
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI..cctor () (at <fc40e65a88544a9da0ab4a60cedba294>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI' threw an exception.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <0c3742f371b24679bcaa6fcc508d0cca>:0)

11. schmosef

schmosef

You have to re-download Rainbow Folders with the version of Unity you intend to use. The version of Rainbow Folders you download with Unity 2021 is specific to that version of Unity.

PhannGor likes this.
  12. Magnesium

Magnesium

Thanks, i had to revert to an previous commit and it fixed it anyway.

schmosef and PhannGor like this.
  13. Goty-Metal

Goty-Metal

Hi there! just purchased the software and looks pretty good and easy to use, just 1 thing i'm trying to do but not sure if possible, can i make folders inherit just the background color? for example:
    Art folder = icon x, background red
    - Sprites subfolder = no icon, inherit red background from Art folder
    - Animations subfolder = animations icon, inherit red background from Art folder...

If i mark the "recursive" background in the main folder (Art) it overrides background color but also removes the subfolder icon, i want to keep it's icon but inherit the background color.

Thanks!

SWeev and Questionably_Kosher like this.
  14. banksysan_unity

banksysan_unity

Rainbow folders is failing on Unity 2020 causing the project window to be unusable.

upload_2021-4-24_18-11-39.png

Unity

Version: 2020.3.5f1.264 Personal[/CENTER][/LEFT]
    Revision: 2020.3/staging 8095aa901b9b
    Built: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 08:53:53 GMT

Rainbow Folders

Attached Files:

15. Goty-Metal

Goty-Metal

Weird, i have 2020.3.5f1 with latest rainbow foders 2 and all is working fine :)

schmosef likes this.
  16. banksysan_unity

banksysan_unity

Totally borked for me :(. I've tried doing deleting the library and reimporting etc.

17. Goty-Metal

Goty-Metal

Weird, you should uninstall and manually remove any folders and .meta files, restarting Unity and trying to download again from the package manager.

18. schmosef

schmosef

I was able to resolve my problems with Rainbow Folders and Unity 2021 by re-downloading the asset using the Unity 2021 package manager.

I just had to delete the previously downloaded copy of the asset from "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Borodar\Editor ExtensionsSystem".

Goty-Metal likes this.
  19. Gigacee

Gigacee

Hi, I installed Rainbow Folders v2.3.0 into my project on Unity 2019.4.26f1 and the error occuered as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assembly 'Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Assemblies/RainbowFolders.dll' will not be loaded due to errors:
    2. Unable to resolve reference 'UnityEditor.CoreModule'. Is the assembly missing or incompatible with the current platform?
    3. Reference validation can be disabled in the Plugin Inspector.

20. Bezoro

Bezoro

For whatever reason in the package manager Rainbow Folders 2 always shows up as having an update available.
    Even deleting the cache and redownloading it from scratch makes no difference. Been happening for a couple versions.
    It does seem to download the latest version fine though, it just thinks that there is always an update available.
    Not sure if this is a package manager bug or not but thought I'd mention it here.

PhannGor likes this.
  21. PhannGor

PhannGor

Noticed the same thing on older Unity versions. If there is an update for newer Editor version than you're using then it shows that annoying "update available" notification. Seems like a package manager bug.

22. Setmaster

Setmaster

I'm on a 3840 x 1600 monitor and the icons don't get big enough, how do I adjust that?

I'm on Unity 2021.1.2f1, Rainbow Folders 2.3.0

BagarraoEduardo likes this.
  23. CodePoKE

CodePoKE

I just updated Rainbow Folders coming from a very old project (Unity 5.5) and notice that it's no longer possible to set the color of a folder as well as an icon?
    Will this be supported again?

24. BagarraoEduardo

BagarraoEduardo

Hi! I would like to knowHi! I would like to know what should I add to .gitignore in the folder of Rainbow Folders 2, and just keep my project setup.

Thank you!

25. PhannGor

PhannGor

It depends of what you want to achieve. If you want just to exclude the Rainbow Folders from your git repo, then you could exclude whole RainbowAssets folder.

Code (CSharp):
    1. /Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/
    2. /Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets.meta
    Personally, I have a special folder for all the assets I don't want to have in a git repo and share with teammates:

upload_2021-7-2_13-25-23.png

And I'm just installing all those assets into that folder in my projects.

26. BagarraoEduardo

BagarraoEduardo

Thank you for thr advioe

Thank you! My main goal is to have only the configurations in the repo and ignore the plugin folder!

27. PhannGor

PhannGor

@BagarraoEduardo

Then you need to include /Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Data/RainbowFoldersRuleset.asset into your git repo.

Since git doesn't list excluded directories for performance reasons and we cannot negate those rules only for one file, your .gitignore should be changed to something like that:

Code (CSharp):
    2. /Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/!Core/
    3. /Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Demo/
    4. /Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Assemblies/

28. BagarraoEduardo

BagarraoEduardo

Solved! Thank you so much for the help! :)

29. Anikki

Anikki

Update from 2020.3.13f1 to 14f1 breaks Rainbow Folders 2 version 2.30. Remove/Reinstall doesn't fix it.

rainbow.png

30. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Anikki,

Could you please provide more details? Just tested on both v2020.3.13f1 and v2020.3.14f1 and all seems to be working fine for me... I got one similar report from another customer but cannot reproduce it as well. Would appreciate your help to collect all the info regarding that error to be able to find the exact cause. Thank you!

31. bjolet

bjolet

Hello @PhannGor,
    I'm having trouble on 2020.3.14f1.

upload_2021-7-26_20-32-43.png

upload_2021-7-26_20-31-0.png

What would you like me to check for you?

32. PhannGor

PhannGor

@Anikki, @bjolet,

There is a possible bug with the asset store cache. For some reason, Unity could try to import an outdated version of the asset at some circumstances. Could you please:

1. Find the Asset Store cache folder on your machine.
      For Windows it should be something like:
      User\AppData\Roaming\Unity\ Asset Store-5.х\Borodar\Editor Extensions\System
      For Mac OS:
      User\Library\Unity\Asset Store-5.х\Borodar\Editor Extensions\System
    2. Then delete all the packages in that folder
    3. Open Unity v2020.3.14f1
    4. Delete Plugins\RainbowAssets
    5. Reimport the Rainbow Folders from the Asset Store again. At this point, Unity should download the correct version of the asset.

Please let me know if that helps. Thank you!

33. bjolet

bjolet

@PhannGor

That did the trick!
    Thank you for your quick help!

upload_2021-7-27_22-36-42.png

34. Toolsmith

Toolsmith

I'm facing the same issue, can't get Rainbow Folders to work on new projects. I'm using Unity 2020.1.14f1. Any help?

35. PhannGor

PhannGor

@KapitanKazub

Well, I guess you could try same solution if you have same issue:

36. Toolsmith

Toolsmith

PhannGor likes this.
  37. Gladyon

Gladyon

Hi,

Thank you for this tool, it might help me to find my way in my own project which has grown a bit too much lately...

I had a small problem during install
    when you remove the DLLs and use the sources instead, there is a cryptic message about the path not set correctly.
    In fact the path was perfectly correct (default), the problem was coming from the 'RainbowFoldersRuleset' scriptableObject which had a broken reference.
    When fixed, it works perfectly fine.
    Maybe it could be added to the manual.

Also, it seems that this asset has been designed with the 2 columns view.
    When in one column only, if you have tons of files in a folder, then you will not see clearly in what color the folder is, you can even see only files, in which case it will not help at all.
    I think that the files should also have their background colored (not the icon, because each file type has its own standard icon).
    Here is an example, vanilla, with the file colored:
    Rainbow standard.png Rainbow modified.png

Of course it could be a toggle-able option.

38. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Whenever I install this extension for some reason it deletes everything in my asset folder. Can't use it atm

39. ProtagonistKun

ProtagonistKun

Make sure you have the latest version, I had this issue a while back but after reimporting it it seemed fine (assumng you updated your editor version to 2021, still seems to work on 2020 for me)

40. lcizzle

lcizzle

I have imported the latest plugin into 2021.2 release version and it works partially. If I alt click a folder and assign a color or icon I get spammed with GUI Error: "You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced" and then any folder under that customized folder disappears.

41. Gigacee

Gigacee

FolderIcon_16_CSV.png : CSV
    FolderIcon_16_SpriteAtlas.png : Sprite Atlas
    FolderIcon_16_Timeline.png : Timeline
    FolderIcon_16_Unity.png : Unity
    These are the icons I created. (only 16 px for dark ui)
    You can use it if you like.

PhannGor likes this.
  42. JohnSearle

JohnSearle

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  43. Blepius

Blepius

Hiya! Unity's new PlasticSCM integration is being a trouble maker. Is support for this service possible?

upload_2021-11-25_2-9-56.png

44. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

Hello,

I am using version 2.3.0 of Rainbow Folders 2 and Unity 2021.2.4f1 and just wanted to make a slight adjustement/improvement to the plugin and wanted to change its code. The source code is provided with the plugin, so I removed the assembly RainbowFolders.dll and added the source code files of RainbowFolders.src.unitypackage. But the source code does not work properly. Got this exception after the change:

InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.ProjectWindowAdapter.IsItemSelected (System.Object treeViewController, System.Object state, System.Int32 assetId) (at Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Scripts/Helpers/ProjectWindowAdapter.cs:160)
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI.DrawIconInFirstColumn (System.Object controller, System.Object state, UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 assetId, System.String path) (at Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Scripts/RainbowFoldersGUI.cs:159)
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI+<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<AddNewCallbacks>g__OnGUIRowCallback|0 (System.Int32 id, UnityEngine.Rect rect) (at Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Scripts/RainbowFoldersGUI.cs:264)
    UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.DoItemGUI (UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem item, System.Int32 row, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.IterateVisibleItems (System.Int32 firstRow, System.Int32 numVisibleRows, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 keyboardControlID) (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEditor.ProjectBrowser.OnGUI () (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <948074e677924ec29383d02747cdda34>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <19e8ae72d69d4534922a221bc32022aa>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

The mentioned exception is caused in the class ProjectWindowAdapter. While in the compiled assembly there is a private static field "INTEGER_CACHE_LIST_FIELD", this field is missing in the sources. There may be more differences, but the example shows that the provided source code does NOT correspond to the compiled assembly.

Could you please provide the corresponding and properly working source code of Raindbow Folders 2.

45. PhannGor

PhannGor

@FaithlessOne,

Thanks for reporting this issue with the source code and DLL version mismatch. Will fix that in an upcoming release. Meanwhile, sent the source code package directly to your email.

46. PhannGor

PhannGor

@sci-comp,

Unfortunately, PlasticSCM is not supported. There are a lot of complications and conflicts with their own overlay which we currently aren't able to resolve. Sorry about that...

If the situation will change in one of the next releases, we'll definitely let you know.

Blepius likes this.
  47. PhannGor

PhannGor

@JohnSearle,
    We're investigating that feature but no ETA currently. Thank you for your feedback anyway!

48. alec100_94

alec100_94

Hi there, I've installed this recently and a little bit confused how to get the best out of it, the choice of built-in icons seems rather limited (there's icons featured in this thread that aren't included), so I tried to use the custom option but that just changed the entire folder icon (and got rid of the folder), I want to create icons like the built in ones, so there is consistency (guess I could sort of Photoshop it, but it wouldn't look right, at very least a template would be helpful). Was also wondering if there was a larger (maybe community driven) library of pre-made icons somewhere so I don't have to make my own.

This is what I Have:
    upload_2021-12-11_16-19-14.png

But this is what I want (sort of, bad Photoshop job), Ideally with a way to change the color independently of icon image too:
    upload_2021-12-11_16-24-31.png

Can't help but feel like I'm missing something here?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  49. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @alec100_94,

Unfortunately, there is no easy way just to draw custom icons on top of the default folder icon and make them good-looking at the same time. At the same time, I could agree that some kind of template could make that easier. Will take a look if we could prepare some of them as a short-term solution.

At the same time, we're working on a built-in generator of custom icons to solve this problem in a long run. Unfortunately, no ETA yet, as I said a few posts before. Will keep you updated in this thread on how it goes.

Thank you for your feedback!

rrahim likes this.
  50. dock

dock

Using Unity 2020.3.26 LTS here with Plastic SCM and Rainbow folders is completely broken, as others have mentioned. Hopefully you can fix this soon.