Search Unity

Rainbow Folders - Custom folder icons in the project browser? Easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PhannGor, Jun 18, 2016.

1. PhannGor

PhannGor

Regarding transferring custom settings to other projects or between different people... there currently is no automated way to do that. But I like the idea!

Will think about how to create reliable and convenient settings importer/exporter. That should not be hard.

At this point, you can transfer your settings by manually copying your:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/.../RainbowAssets/RainbowFolders/Editor/Data/RainbowFoldersRuleset.asset
    and all your custom icons, if you have ones to a new project.

2. one_one

one_one

Just got this asset and tried it out. I also use 2019.3 - so I was a little surprised to see that the new default folder icons weren't really colorful at all. As others have pointed out, it really takes away a lot of the 'at a glance' visibility.
    I was also expecting (for some reason, I know it's not advertised somewhere) to just pick an icon and have it be displayed on top of a folder icon. I'm looking forward to the icon generator - any news on that?

Also, where do you store the project setting data/the configurable asset path?

Marc-Saubion and MrDizzle26 like this.
  3. PhannGor

PhannGor

one_one likes this.
  4. PolyMad

PolyMad

Hello,

I bought Rainbow Folders in July 2018.
    Now I have a small error in it and I see there is no update for it.
    Instead, it disappeared, and there is a Rainbow Folders 2 on the Asset Store, and no trace of the original Rainbow Folders.
    Why should I spend another 9 euro when I have already spent 17?
    Is it just for support or there's something new?

Attached Files:

5. PhannGor

PhannGor

Dear @OutCyder,

This asset was initially released 4 years ago. All this time I've provided support, made compatibility fixes, and implemented a lot of new features. For free.

A year ago I've released a major update that drastically changes how custom icons are applied and allows to set ANY icon of any shape and supports transparency, etc. I've added more convenient features like row shading and tree outlines to prevent eye strain and spent a lot of time rewriting codebase to be compatible with the latest versions of Unity Editor.

I don't ask you to buy it again. I just would like it if you could appreciate my time and efforts to keep this asset working (as well as implementing new features) for the next few years.

Thank you!

P. S. The previous version is still available for you. You can find it in your assets using the following link: https://assetstore.unity.com/account/assets

one_one likes this.
  6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Oh, so there are actually some improvements. I will consider buying it then, thank you.

PhannGor likes this.
  7. tko1975

tko1975

hello
    I'm in trouble because of the trouble I can't solve.

Used in Unity 2018.4.16f1
    "Rainbow Folders 2" is ver 2.2.0.

If you build it for Android, an error occurs.
    So I decided to re-import "Rainbow Folders 2" and removed the folder from my project.
    When I import it again, I get the error shown in Figure 1-a.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. fileFormatVersion: 2
    2. guid: 3bcb0d35ddf493043aaa14715c4ae5dc
    3. PluginImporter:
    4.   externalObjects: {}
    5.   serializedVersion: 2
    6.   iconMap: {}
    7.   executionOrder: {}
    8.   defineConstraints: []
    9.   isPreloaded: 0
    10.   isOverridable: 0
    11.   isExplicitlyReferenced: 0
    12.   validateReferences: 1
    13.   platformData:
    14.   - first:
    15.       Any:
    16.     second:
    17.       enabled: 0
    18.       settings: {}
    19.   - first:
    20.       Editor: Editor
    21.     second:
    22.       enabled: 1
    23.       settings:
    24.         DefaultValueInitialized: true
    25.   - first:
    26.       Windows Store Apps: WindowsStoreApps
    27.     second:
    28.       enabled: 0
    29.       settings:
    30.         CPU: AnyCPU
    31.   userData:
    32.   assetBundleName:
    33.   assetBundleVariant:
    After importing, I get the three errors shown in Figure 2-a,b,c when I build for Android.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me on how to solve the problem.

Attached Files:

8. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @ohsakatakashi,

Seems like the RainbowFolders.dll is included into the build for some reason. Please make sure that only the "Editor" checkbox is active under the "Platforms" section in the "Rainbow Folders Import Settings" inspector.

upload_2020-4-30_19-29-17.png

9. tko1975

tko1975

Hello, Thank you for your advice.
    I re-imported the assets and checked the settings.

The "RainbowFolders/Assemblies/RainbowFolders" setting was OK. (Figure 1)

I also checked "!Core/Assemblies/RainbowCore" (Figure 2-a).
    I changed this setting (Figure 2-b) and then built it with success.

before (Figure 2-a)

after (Figure 2-b)

Thank you.

Attached Files:

PhannGor likes this.
  10. Aksoq

Aksoq

Can I change color of folder and add icon at the same time without using custom textures?

11. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

It seems the custom icons are about half the size of the normal icons. Is this intended or a bug? Can I do something to increase the size of the custom icons?

Attached Files:

12. PhannGor

PhannGor

Unfortunately, no. We're investigating possibility to implement that feature in future releases but at this point this achievable only with custom textures.

13. PhannGor

PhannGor

Seems like Unity increased the maximum size of big icons in the latest releases. If you'll zoom them out using slider in the bottom right corner you'll see that both custom and original icons are zoomed well until some value and then only default ones continue zooming.

You can either apply your own custom icons that have bigger than 128x128 px size or zoom out all the icons in second column a bit until they have equal size.

We will think about how to fix that in future releases.

Rallix and gdespaux2010 like this.
  14. Gigacee

Gigacee

When changing the Editor Layout, Rainbow Folders will no longer work. When Playing, it works again.

Env: Unity 2019.4.5f1 / Windows 10 Pro 2004

Attached Files:

• rf.gif
      rf.gif
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
  15. ash4640

ash4640

just wondering if the folders will be colored in 2019.4 versions or not, have imported the tool and folders don't seem to be colored now, unlike in 2018 LTS version

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  16. kayronjm

kayronjm

I was about to ask about this too. I just bought this asset and am using it on Unity 2019.4.5f1. The Icon option only adds the icon. I can choose a folder colour too, but it's one or the other - choosing an icon makes the folder standard grey with the icon chosen. The Background option below it only alters the background of the text label for the folder, not the folder itself.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  17. ash4640

ash4640

basically I think the rainbow folders are not anymore rainbow folders under 2019.4 unless I see it as it was colored previously, don't see myself using it in 2019.4

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  18. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @ash4640,

As I said before, we've got a few requests from other users similar to your one and planning to add another set of "color-coded" icons in the next version of the asset. Unfortunately, this release delayed for two months due to worldwide force majeure that affects all of us more or less. It's not an excuse and it's totally our responsibility to deliver promised features. I'm back in the saddle now and the new version is 99% done. It should be released next week.

Meanwhile, there are customized colored icons:

http://www.borodar.com/stuff/rainbowfolders/share/rf_icons_colored_2019.zip

You can apply them using the "Custom" item from the "icon" dropdown menu in the configuration dialog box.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and ready to refund your asset purchase per your request.

KWaldt, one_one and Marc-Saubion like this.
  19. PhannGor

PhannGor

@Gigacee,

Thank you for your bug report. Will add it to the backlog and will take a look at how it can be fixed in the upcoming release.

20. ash4640

ash4640

No it is fine, will wait for the update, as I liked the asset it was previously; not complaining here because of the lack of feature but because of the lack of update or communication anywhere;
    As long as there is a communication from the developer to the current status of the tool; it mostly works else we are left to wonder why the tool is not functioning as it is supposed too or will it ever function again as it was planned.
    Yes totally understand the current situation and all the best with the release.
    Also planning to purchase your fairlands skies pro, just wondering if the shaders will work on my 2d cloud sprites if applied or if the clouds provided can be customized.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  21. Gigacee

Gigacee

Hi, do you plan to add an icon for an open folder? I think this would make Project Windows more useful.

Attached Files:

22. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

They've mentioned before that an "Open Folder" icon seems like an obvious benefit, but it would actually look really weird with a custom icon. You would either distort the custom icon to keep it in perspective of the open folder, or you'd lose the icon of the open folder behind the custom icon. Unless they find a clever way to fix it, I'd rather keep the normal folder icons.

PhannGor likes this.
  23. Rallix

Rallix

Since now Unity changed the design of the empty folder in the newest version to flat, I think a similar approach could look quite nice with custom icons.

Rainbow.png

Ruchir, gdespaux2010 and PhannGor like this.
  24. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

Now that looks pretty slick to me! Good solution without affecting the icon

25. Supergrubman

Supergrubman

It seems it is not possible to make a subscript type icon using custom icons(Like the Scripts, Shaders, Materials etc icon show up). I tried looking around, but custom icons only replaces the entire folder icon instead of a folder with a small icon to the bottom right like it does for Scripts etc.

Please add an option for option for small custom icon overlayed on the folder icon like you do for scripts etc. I need this because replacing the folder icon with the asset given icon makes it too eye catching and distracting to work on the project, because not every asset gives icons and the ones that do they are too distracting.

TL;DR. I want a custom icon option that works the way the type icons work. Thank you!

Also an otion to make the custom icons geryscale would be nice to make them less distracting.

These two options would make it way less distracting to work while also having custom icons.

Also the empty folder icon suggestion in the above post is cool. It'd be cool if that were implemented.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  26. Supergrubman

Supergrubman

Also an option for asset developers to automatically have an icon attatched to a folder with some kind of integration would be nice. Like a particular icon folder with the icons?

27. VMaxxx

VMaxxx

Raindow Assets is Awesome! just - make update for 2020 unity! thanks!

one_one likes this.
  28. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Same here but whats weird is that the deprecated old Rainbow Folder 1 works fine on my current project 2019.4.7f1.

29. rrahim

rrahim

I like the new update. Is it possible to show the icon name in the new picker? Even on hover (tooltip) would be fine.
    Also, can a "Timelines" icon be added?

PhannGor likes this.
  30. Gigacee

Gigacee

I also want a "Timeline" icon! (or "Playables" since the timeline is part of it)

31. rrahim

rrahim

Also a "Particles" folder icon would be nice.

32. Ruchir

Ruchir

Is this currently possible?
    I mean does rainbow folder have a separate icon for empty folders?
    If not then is it on roadmap?

33. Vincent454

Vincent454

Is it possible to get the old folder designs back, I like gradients

34. Armin-rkb

Armin-rkb

Any update on how you can share the folder setting with other people?
    It feels very inconvenient to have everyone set up the same folder icons and would be nice if everyone sees the same icons.

Ruchir likes this.
  35. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Small bug report, but ever since Unity 2020, folders haven't worked really well. For instance, in many cases, the root level of the hierarchy would render without its custom colors.

Now Unity 2020.2 in particular seems to have added a margin next to folders when you enable a version control system (I love this side effect, so much more readable and clickable), but sadly Rainbow Folders renders its overlays - both backgound as well as Icons - at the wrong positions now.

This is also true at higher UI scales as well as the default scale:
    upload_2021-1-8_1-41-36.png

And last, but not least: Some of Rainbow Folders' own icons don't handle Unity's UI scaling option gracefully:
    upload_2021-1-8_1-38-47.png

(there's a non-zero chance that this extra margin is actually a Unity bug)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    PhannGor likes this.
  36. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Armin-rkb, this is still in development but even now you should be able to share your setup by sending your RainbbowFoldersRuleset.asset file to other people or copy/paste it between your projects.

37. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Thygrrr and thanks for those bug reports. Didn't have a chance to play with Unity 2020 yet, still sitting on LTS. But will take a look immediately and prepare fixes for those inconsistencies.

Thygrrr likes this.
  38. Zarlin

Zarlin

Hey, I was trying out the Unity 2021.1 beta, and sadly this awesome plugin doesn't seem compatible yet. The console is being spammed with the following errors, and the Project view tree is not fully getting rendered:

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    2. Borodar.RainbowFolders.ProjectWindowAdapter.IsItemSelected (System.Object treeViewController, System.Object state, System.Int32 assetId) (at <4bf9ae0b6e6646c9b9f2ded5f3276e94>:0)
    3. Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI.DrawIconInFirstColumn (System.Object controller, System.Object state, UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 assetId, System.String path) (at <4bf9ae0b6e6646c9b9f2ded5f3276e94>:0)
    4. Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI+<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<AddNewCallbacks>g__OnGUIRowCallback|0 (System.Int32 id, UnityEngine.Rect rect) (at <4bf9ae0b6e6646c9b9f2ded5f3276e94>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.DoItemGUI (UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem item, System.Int32 row, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.IterateVisibleItems (System.Int32 firstRow, System.Int32 numVisibleRows, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 keyboardControlID) (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.ProjectBrowser.OnGUI () (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    11. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <d7ddb8158a2944f3808fbb0703d4e132>:0)
    12. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <b82edc26c1654793bdaefb66b6a2a38a>:0)
    13. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Rallix likes this.
  39. ProtagonistKun

ProtagonistKun

Is there any way I can get the default folder icon to draw a custom sprite over it?
    (Referring to the base folder icon you draw the different icons on top of, or better yet, a way to draw icons over a folder in the corner as you have done it instead of replacing the entire folder icon)

Edit: Example of what I mean in case I am bad at explaining. (This way its a little blurry on the folder image.)
    Locations.png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  40. sb810

sb810

I've been scratching my head for a while before I found this post. As per @Zarlin's report, I can confirm - the plug-in doesn't seem to be compatible with Unity's most recent beta version. I bought the asset about an hour ago in hopes that it would help keep our ever-growing project structure somewhat organized, but I've got to say, I'm quite a bit disappointed...

Is there a hotfix in the works, or is the issue more complicated than that?

Looking at the issue @Thygrrr brought up, it seems Unity 2020 isn't really supported at all as of yet, and thus, it would be nice to update the product description to have it match the latest supported version - especially if it's going to take a while to fix. Right now, the asset description is just misleading.

41. Zarlin

Zarlin

I have used Rainbow Folders successfully with Unity 2020.x, it's only when trying out Unity 2021 that the problem occurred. But agreed, it would be good to display the latest verified version of Unity with which the plugin works.

PhannGor likes this.
  42. starfoxy

starfoxy

I am a longtime Rainbow Folders user over both versions. As noted earlier, the folders with icons are smaller than the default folders. Is it possible to address this somehow? Thank you for your great asset!

43. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Zarlin,

Thank you for reporting this! We're not supporting beta versions officially, but I'll take a look and try to prepare compatibility fixes. I Will let you know as soon as it will be done.

@sb810,

The Rainbow Folders asset works pretty fine with Unity 2020.x except for case with the VCS overlay. The issue @Thygrrr reported is related exactly to VCS implementation in Unity 2020.x (I'm working on it now, but no luck so far).

Agree, that it would be beneficial for all to specify the latest supported version in the asset description. Will fix that in a new update.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    sb810 likes this.
  44. PhannGor

PhannGor

@ProtagonistKun

Here are the templates you've asked for. Just add required icons over them in your favorite graphics editor and apply as a custom icon.

Attached Files:

Toolsmith and ProtagonistKun like this.
  45. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @starfoxy,

Could you please add a bit more details? It's not really clear what exactly the issue is. Also, please reach us directly using our support email, that would be just faster in terms of response time.

46. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Zarlin and @sb810,

Finally fixed those compatibility issues with Unity 2021.1 beta. It should be available through the Asset Store in a few days. Also, you can PM me here or at support email and I'll send you the new asset package ASAP.

Zarlin, sb810 and Rallix like this.
  47. schmosef

schmosef

@PhannGor

Thank you for continuing to support this asset.

I just downloaded the recent 2.3.0 release and it's not working in Unity 2020.2.6f1.

It's throwing lots of NullReferenceException errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.ProjectWindowAdapter..cctor () (at <fc40e65a88544a9da0ab4a60cedba294>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Borodar.RainbowFolders.ProjectWindowAdapter' threw an exception.
    Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI..cctor () (at <fc40e65a88544a9da0ab4a60cedba294>:0)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Borodar.RainbowFolders.RainbowFoldersGUI' threw an exception.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <8c48e4bc2ff34638b69095cbb65e2e27>:0)
    All I did was import the asset, via package manager, into an empty project.

Let me know if there's something I can do on my end to fix this or if you need more info to investigate.

48. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @schmosef,

Seems like they've changed API in 2020.2.6f1 too. Will take a look what's exactly happened and will ping you when I will have a fix for that.

49. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for looking into it.

50. PhannGor

PhannGor

Sorry for delayed response. Double-checked all the things and cannot reproduce this issue. Installed both 2020.2.6f1 and 2020.2.7f1 - all works perfectly fine for me.

To make sure there are no issues with the broken import itself, please try to :
    • Backup your project
    • Open your project folder in Explorer/Finder
    • Delete whole Library/ folder
    • Delete the RainbowAssets folder, wherever it is (in Assets/ or in Assets/Plugins)
    • Reopen your project in Unity and let it reimport all the things (may take some time)
    • Import the Rainbow Folders package again
    If this will not help, please ping me directly using our support email and we'll try to take a look what exactly happens in your case.