Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rainbow Folders - Custom folder icons in the project browser? Easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PhannGor, Jun 18, 2016.

1. SynergiAios

SynergiAios

Would it be possible to receive RainbowFolders also as an precompiled DLL? As projects tend to have tons of assets nowadays, compile times grow drastically and time being lost to compile assets that are editor only are a bit anoying x). So if you could give us a dll or a sln file to compile the dll ourself would be awesome x) thx.

2. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @SynergiAios,

There is one complication that prevents me from putting all scripts in precompiled dll. Unity doesn't recognize ScriptableObject classes from DLLs for some reason, and the Rainbow Folders asset depends on them heavily. If you know how to figure it out, please let me know - it will help a lot.

However, the Rainbow Folders have one big dependency - a bit customized Rotorz Reorderable List. And this bunch of scripts we can easily pack into separate DLL. Just remove the /Plugins/RainbowFolders/Editor/Scripts/ReorderableList and put there this DLL instead:

https://goo.gl/RziJK9

Hope it will help you to decrease compilation time for your project.

P. S. I need to double check if this approach doesn't conflict with the Rotorz rules about including their modified products int 3rd party assets. And if all is OK, the next version of the Rainbow Folders will contain this update.

3. PhannGor

PhannGor

AFAIK, scripts inside Plugins/.../Editor folders are always compiled separately into the Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass.dll. So, they should not be recompiled each time you're modifying your project sources.

In general, Unity builds four separate DLLs for your scripts:
    • Assembly-CSharp-firstpass
      Runtime scripts in folders called Standard Assets, Pro Standard Assets and Plugins.
    • Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass
      Editor scripts in folders called Editor that are anywhere inside top-level folders called Standard Assets, Pro Standard Assets and Plugins.
    • Assembly-CSharp
      All other scripts that are not inside a folder called Editor.
    • Assembly-CSharp-Editor
      All remaining scripts (those that are inside a folder called Editor).
    If you're modifying scripts only from one of these categories, others should not be recompiled when you'll build your project.

4. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, my file icons have been messed up and Editor is very laggy to response anything, re-import RainbowFolders can fix this problem somewhat but it comes again soon. Any idea how to fix this?

* Not 100% sure if it's caused by RainbowFolders :)

1.png

UPDATE: Reinstall Unity twice seems to make it work, weird.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. PhannGor

PhannGor

Can you please provide more info to help us reproduce this issue? At least, specify Unity version and settings/plugins that affect the Project View. Thanks!

6. Crossway

Crossway

Cool job, I love this asset.

PhannGor likes this.
  7. Jake-L

Jake-L

Nice tool, I consider purchasing it. One question before, does it work together with Unity's version control icons (Plastic SCM in my case, if that matters)?

8. PhannGor

PhannGor

Yes, it does. Rainbow Folders asset supports Unity Version Control overlay over custom icons. However, this feature is in beta stage right now, which means some bugs and issues may still remain undiscovered.

9. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

Hi,

I am trying to download Rainbow Folders 0.8.1 on Unity 2017.1.0p2, but it seems to be stuck on "Please Wait" when clicking the "Download" button. Are you or anyone here able to successfully download for Unity 2017.1.0p2 ?

I have also tried restarting and reinstalling Unity, and it is still stuck in "Please Wait".

By the way, Rainbow Folders is really amazing. I have been using it since last year, and I love it!

Thanks,

upload_2017-8-5_17-17-14.png

10. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @tachyon-particle,

Didn't have a chance to check this issue on Unity 2017.1.0p2, but on 2017.1.0f3 all works fine.

tachyon-particle likes this.
  11. CarterG81

CarterG81

I love Rainbow Folders. I do however have a feature request which would make it so much better IMO. However, it might be too much work to actually be worthwhile to implement.

I'd love to have the ability to select multiple folders, and then click "Rainbow" and have them automatically set using different colors (in order). This really helps me see folders better & access my project tab quicker.

I love rainbows, and I really enjoy coloring them manually - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, then Purple. (I'd prefer to not have too similar colors one after another.)

It helps because I always know that "Red = 1st, Orange = 2nd, Yellow = 3rd, etc." in the hierarchy. I also know that any colored folders have assets in them, while any 'type' folders (ex. Prefab type) are just for organization (hold folders, but not actual assets). Very nifty!

Right now I manually do this, one folder at a time. However, it would be wonderful if I could just select all the folders, click "Set --> Rainbow" and then have them be differently colored. It would be especially useful when I move folders around (and have to reset every folder's color).

This is the only feature I can even think of that would make this a better asset. Well, besides maybe having a much more rainbow-colored "RainbowFolders" icon. The current one, "RainbowFolders" is just Red to Yellow - the ugliest rainbow colors, where's the green & blue?! hehe :p

Wonderful asset btw. Even if this feature is not feasible, I still am glad to share how Rainbow Folders helps me. It is one of my favorite assets & gets a 5/5 in my review list (see signature).

edit: Nevermind, it gets more than a 5/5. I forgot I gave it the rating of "7 out of Fun" in a score system of 1-5.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    PhannGor likes this.
  12. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @CarterG81,

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I really appreciate the time you took to think about it and to share with the community. I'm going to study it thoroughly and decide on the best way for implementing it (but no promises at this point).

Anyway, please keep on sharing ideas that will help us improve the Rainbow Folders. Thank you again for your valued input!

CarterG81 likes this.
  13. brisingre

brisingre

Just bought your asset. I really like it. A few things that could make it better:

- I wish colors and icons could be set independently.
    - It'd also be fantastic to be able to assign icons to files.
    - This is probably impossible, but it would be great if I could filter the project view by color.

I wrote a little script to take screenshots at icon resolution and put them in a folder next to the other RF Icons. Now I've got these great little scene previews on all my scene folders:

upload_2017-11-28_22-11-39.png

If that's useful to anybody else, I've attached it.

Attached Files:

nirvanajie and TeagansDad like this.
  14. PhannGor

PhannGor

@brisingre, thank you for your feedback and sharing this convenient script with the community!

brisingre likes this.
  15. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi everyone. I have a feature suggestion for rainbow folder.

I'm working with a new team member and realize that prefabs and meshes icons look very similar in the project folder. This is confusing for beginners who think they made a prefab while they didn't.

Being able to replace Unity's icons by custom ones depending on the type of the file would be very helpful.A simple change in colors would be enough.

Is that possible with Rainbow Folder, now or in the foreseeable future?

Thanks.

16. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Marc-Saubion,

For now, the Rainbow Folders asset works only with folders, but technically it's possible to apply custom icons for different file types also. I need to take a deeper look, but I like the idea and would like to implement this feature in one of the next releases.

CarterG81 likes this.
  17. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Thanks for that quick answer. I hope you can make it work, that would be a game changer. :)

18. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

Hi @PhannGor, I've attempted to update to Rainbow Folders v0.9.6 this morning but for some reason it's not playing nice with Easy Save 2.

Sorry I can't seem to embed image https://imgur.com/HuetH7y

Any ideas?

All the best - and holiday greetings :)
    Steven

19. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @stevenatunity,

Just delete the AssemblyInfo.cs script from this folder:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /Plugins/RainbowAssets/!Core/Scripts/ReorderableList/Properties

stevenatunity likes this.
  20. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

Thanks @PhannGor will this be needed for all updates from now on?

21. PhannGor

PhannGor

Nope, i'll fix this ASAP ;)

22. sxa

sxa

I know this is pretty much just trivial nitpicking, but would it be possible to have the misspelling of 'crimson' fixed from 'crismon' in the various context menus? (color, tag, background etc). Even though its just a minor typo, I have to search-and-replace it manually on each new version because it really twitches my inner OCD.
    cheers if you can.
    Also a 'none' or 'Unity grey' or whatever you'd call it option would be nice for each of those menus individually, especially Background.

PhannGor likes this.
  23. PhannGor

PhannGor

Good catch! Will fix it in the next update.

24. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

@PhannGor I'm getting an error when building for android :(

The type or namespace name `EditorWindow' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Compiler Error at Assets/Plugins/RainbowAssets/!Core/Scripts/Window/DraggablePopupWindow.cs:7 column 50

PhannGor likes this.
  25. PhannGor

PhannGor

Awwwww... just move this script under the Editor folder. Will upload new package to the Asset Store as soon as possible :)

26. Jack-Mariani

Jack-Mariani

Hey! Just a quick request.
    I use scriptable object heavily and currently I'm highlight their folder just with a color (Lime).
    If possible I would ask if we can have an icon, like for the other main elements of unity.
    If it would take too much time, nevermind :).

Thank you very much!

PS: please let me know if there's already an icon for scriptable objects, or anything to identify their folders, and I'm just missing it.

27. PhannGor

PhannGor

@Jack-Mariani,

Thank you for the feedback! Will try to add the icon for scriptable objects in one of the next updates.

28. Xtro

Xtro

Hello.

I really like your asset but I have a really big problem.

Months ago, I asked you to make RainbowFolders asset folder to be movable in the project instead of a hard coded root path and you implemented this request with a path option in preferences window.

This new behavior is really really problematic. Since that preferences option is saved to local computer, every time we open our project (which includes rainbow folder asset) on a new computer, we get lots of "could not found" errors from rainbow folder. We have to go to Unity preferences and set the path correctly to get rid of those errors on the new computer.

When we send our project to Unity team for a support request, they are complaining about those rainbow errors too. I have to teach the Unity support people about how to set the rainbow path to get rid of those error.

This is very annoying.

I am using many many 3rd party assets and none of them has this problem. Probably they are discovering their installation folder via an automated script instead of a editor preference option.

Can you please fix that?

Whereever I move the rainbow folder in my project and whatever new pc I open the project, rainbow must find its installation folder and must work without any error.

Please.

Attached Files:

29. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi, @Xtro

The Rainbow Folders asset always needs to know its location because of access to custom icons and configuration files. Not every 3rd party asset has similar limitations, so this problem doesn't appear often. Unfortunately, it's not a trivial task to figure out where asset located after you've moved it somewhere in your project. That's the reason we're asking a user to specify path manually in editor preferences.

I agree that it doesn't look like the most convenient solution so will do my best to fix that in one of the next updates.
    Thank you for the feedback!

30. Grumpy-Dot

Grumpy-Dot

This is probably a bit late, but it's easy for me to write a script to check if the Rainbow Folder is valid, if not, parse all the folders in the project (even with a few caveats such as search only in the Plugins folder), and locate it. If you want, I can share it.

On a different topic, I have another suggestion. I would like to make certain folders / files hidden, with an option in the Rainbow Folders to show hidden items. I do not know if this is possible, or if you have investigated this. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

PhannGor likes this.
  31. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Grumpy-Dot,

Yes, it would be cool to share your script with the community, even if it will not be included in further updates. Thank you in advance!

Regarding hidden files/folders, I've investigated this question some time ago and Unity Editor doesn't provide such API... Even for custom icons we're using workaround and drawing them on top of default ones ;)

CarterG81 and Grumpy-Dot like this.
  32. Xtro

Xtro

I would definitely like that.

TeagansDad likes this.
  33. Grumpy-Dot

Grumpy-Dot

@PhannGor

Hello, thanks for the info, I hope Unity will add this API sometimes.
    Here is the code, you can include it in the future releases with no issues.
    Add this at the beginning of the method LoadFromAsset<T>(string relativePath) from RainbowFoldersEditorUtility.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public static T LoadFromAsset<T>(string relativePath) where T : UnityEngine.Object
    3. {
    4.             string homeFolder = Application.dataPath + RainbowFoldersPreferences.HomeFolder.Substring("Assets".Length);
    5.             if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(RainbowFoldersPreferences.HomeFolder) || !Directory.Exists(homeFolder))
    6.             {
    7.                 string[] foldersFound = Directory.GetDirectories(Application.dataPath, "RainbowFolders", SearchOption.AllDirectories);
    8.                 if (foldersFound.Length > 0)
    9.                 {
    10.                     RainbowFoldersPreferences.HomeFolder = ("Assets/" + foldersFound[0].Substring(Application.dataPath.Length + 1)).Replace('\\', '/');
    11.                 }
    12.                 else
    13.                 {
    14.                     Debug.LogError("No RainbowFolders plugin was found!");
    15.                     return null;
    16.                 }
    17.             }
    19.             // rest of the method
    20. }
    If you insert this, then setting the RainbowFoldersPreferences.HomeFolder in the Unity Preferences is no longer necessary. Let me know what you think. :cool:

Xtro and PhannGor like this.
  34. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

Hey just purchased the asset and really love it!

Here are some folders / folder icons that I think are missing that I would really love to see though.
    • Gizmos
    • Sprites
    • Scriptable Objects
    • Standard Assets
    Other then that I think the asset is really great. Awesome work!

35. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

I seem to be experiencing a couple bugs as well. For one the alignment of the images for the folders seem to be off. Secondly, i'm not sure i can add to my favorites anymore.

upload_2018-7-26_15-37-30.png

36. Bamboy

Bamboy

Yes, I just came on here to ask for an icon for "Sprites" folder. Any plans for this to be added? Seems kind of obvious to me since Unity has been focusing on the 2D toolkit a ton lately.

37. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

Would really love some response to the above comments, been a few weeks since initial post. Also seems this is the only support thread linked on the Asset Store.

Thanks in advance!

38. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @Meatloaf4,

Regarding additional icons, we're adding new ones from time to time. If you need something special and current icons don't fit well for your purposes, then you can always use your own icons. Rainbow Folders allows to do that easily.

Regarding bugs and other support things, please use our support email (support@borodar.com) as a preferred way of communication. In that case we will be able to respond faster. Also please specify your unity version as well as a version of the Rainbow Folders asset with which you experience this bug.

Thank you!

39. acrossthestars

acrossthestars

May i ask the rainbow plugins highest supported unity version ?

40. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @acrossthestars,

Main functionality works well in Unity 2018.2.6f1. Hovewer, there is a bug in Unity 2018.2+ that prevents to open the asset icons list in inspector. Already working on hotfix. Should be available on the Asset Store in few days.

If you need this fix ASAP, just ping me and provide your invoice number.

41. acrossthestars

acrossthestars

Dont worry, take your time ! Its a must have asset so i was ready to roll back even versions :p

42. acrossthestars

acrossthestars

Hi @PhannGor :) Just wanted to paste the errors i get on the 2018.1.9f2 Build , also to add i start it from the Unity Hub Beta ( not sure if that has any connection )

upload_2018-9-6_13-43-21.png

43. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @acrossthestars,

Thank you again for reporting those things! All those issues are fixed now and I've submitted the new version to the Asset Store. Should be available in a few days because of the review process.

44. acrossthestars

acrossthestars

@PhannGor thank you very much ! Looking forward to :)

45. PhannGor

PhannGor

46. PhannGor

PhannGor

xnew_release_orange_242px_png_pagespeed_ic_kEDbfnQ.png

Major Update! Rainbow Folders v2.0 is available on the Asset Store:
    http://u3d.as/1v2R
    • Folder icons are now actually replaced instead of drawing them on top of default ones
    • All included icons now are baked into the code and will no longer bother you when picking/searching your own textures
    • Added optional project tree outlines
    • Added optional row shading
    • Added “transparent” folder icons
    • Improved compatibility with Unity 2018.3 and Unity 2019.1
    • Fixed bug with wrong icons offset when fully zoomed out in “Two Column” mode
    Upgrade for free if purchased a previous version in last 30 days!

CarterG81 and TeagansDad like this.
  47. Xtro

Xtro

Wait what? Now I have to buy it again? That's a big thumb down :(:mad:

FlightOfOne likes this.
  48. PhannGor

PhannGor

Dear @Xtro,

This asset was initially released 3 years ago. All this time I've provided support, made compatibility fixes and implemented a lot of new features. For free.

Now I've released a major update which drastically changes how custom icons are applied and allow to set ANY icon of any shape and supports transparency, etc. I've added more convenient features like row shading and tree outlines to prevent eye strain and spent a lot of time to rewrite codebase to be compatible with latest versions of Unity Editor.

I don't ask you to buy it again. I just would like if you could appreciate my time and efforts to keep this asset working (as well as implementing new features) for the next few years.

TeagansDad, jeromeWork and CarterG81 like this.
  49. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

uhmmm... this is a tricky one, and a problem I think a few developers are having (thinking of Procedural Worlds, makers of Gaia, for example). While we recognize your continued work on the asset, I'm not sure you've handled this update very well. You're promoting a shiny new version with features which I personally didn't ask for (or thought I needed). I'm more interested in whether the asset continues to function in the current Unity Editor I'm using. As it does, I'm happy to stick with what I have.
    You don't mention it in your description but it seems that I'm being offered a discount on the new version (down from €17.87 to €8.93). I'm guessing this is because I'm an existing user? You should promote this as a thank you to your existing customers for their support. That's how your customers feel - we feel we've already done our bit to help you do the work you do and we want to be recognized for that.
    The other thing that comes to mind is that the asset now appears a little overpriced. I think I originally bought it for about €5. At that price it was an easy impulse buy but at €20 (once you include taxes) I'm not so sure I'd go for it. Just being honest. This is a nifty Editor utility, an add-on which isn't strictly required, so you need to be careful not price yourself out of that impulse buy category.
    For info, if you'd told me you needed the money to continue ongoing maintenance support (as I say I don't feel the need for new features) and had priced it at €10 with a 50% discount for existing customers, I'd have quite happily paid up. I'd feel good about supporting your work, and I'd feel confident that this would secure ongoing functionality into Unity2019. As it stands I'll wait until it breaks and then think again.
    Anyway... just my two pennies. I do feel for you and I know you're in a tough position. I just think the change needs a bit more of a soft touch in terms of marketing. Procedural Worlds handled it pretty well but still antagonized a bunch of people. Sadly that's always going to happen. :)

FlightOfOne and PhannGor like this.
  50. PhannGor

PhannGor

Hi @jeromeWork,

You're right about how to handle this update. I really appreciate your feedback and will do my best to do it better in the future. I'm also thinking about the possibility to maintain the previous version of the asset for some time after releasing a new version. What do you think if I will support the previous version of the Rainbow Folders for a year after the release of v2.0? Would it change the situation for people who don't need new features?

I really don't want to make feeling I'm trying to get more money for the thing you already paid for. I'm just looking for a proper way to make its support and development sustainable.

Anyway, thank you for your honest and helpful feedback. I appreciate that!