Search Unity

RAIN{one}- Artificial Intelligence Engine-RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RT_Jester, Jul 23, 2011.

1. nixter

nixter

Sorry. This was a typo. I meant to write "Everything in RAIN{one} that is not in RAIN{indie} is an older, deprecated version."

Is this a true statement?

2. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Aside from the, underutilized, Goal Oriented Behavior feature. RAIN{indie} has all the functionality of RAIN{one}.

3. nixter

nixter

Lets say I use RAIN{indie} and love it. But my characters need to be more life-like with their own will. I want to attach Personality Traits (a key function of Goal Oriented Behavior) with my Agents.

Will I have to go back to using RAIN{one} when I'm ready for this advanced stage of AI or can I easily replicate that feature in RAIN{indie} using the Behavior Tree Editor? I mean obviously I can't code it myself because this is closed source and I have no access to the DLL files, but is there a work around?

4. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for the question! With the amount of improvements made to the expressions in RAIN{indie} you can most certainly replicate Goal Oriented Behavior. We will post some examples later on and add them to our support site.

Thanks again.
    Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. nixter

nixter

Great! Looking forward to seeing those expression examples!

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi Jester, I appreciate the detailed reply but it still beating around the bush. So to summarize
    - Rain One is no longer actively developed, only maintained.
    - The new dev are added in Rain Indie. Use that for new project.
    - There is a new Rain Two on the horizon, paid version but we have not decided on price or features
    - There is another AI product Sentio (unrelated) with some extra unknown cool stuff which is range on 10k

Isn't that much simpler?

7. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

imtrobin,

Thanks for the post. As I mentioned before, "For existing RAIN{one} customers—direct support for RAIN{one} will continue as it always has. We will still develop RAIN{one} if there are any fixes that need to be implemented. For new Rival Theory customers, we would urge you to pick up RAIN{indie}." If you feel that RAIN{indie} does not serve the needs of your game, contact me jester@rivaltheory.com so we can start a conversation to see if Sentio is right for you.

The Sentio page can be found here http://rivaltheory.com/sentio

RAIN{indie} is free http://rivaltheory.com/downloadindie

There is no public pricing for Sentio or RAIN 2.

I hope this has been made more clear.
    Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. Robota

Robota

Hi I'am interested to try RAIN{Indie} especially for the Behavior Trees.
    I downloaded the Unity 4 sample, the one with the hamster but it seems that it doesn't work. There is also no tutorial...

How can I learn to use them? I have missed something?

9. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Robota! Thanks for the post. There are a lot of resources on our support site http://support.rivaltheory.com/
    Check out the wiki for a more in-depth look into our behavior trees: http://support.rivaltheory.com/rainindie/wiki/doku.php That will give you a great starting place to learn RAIN{indie}.

Let me know if this helps.
    Best,
    Jester

10. Robota

Robota

Thanks Jester for the quick response but I already read these docs and I don't find any simple step by step tuto to explain how to create and run a BT.

I started by this http://support.rivaltheory.com/rainindie/wiki/doku.php?id=unitycomponents:behaviortreemind
    then I was stuck because I was unable to find infos on BTActivationManager.

As I said the "hamster" sample doesn't do anything when I press play on unity 4.

So I tried to explore. I build a simple BT :
    BTest->root->action1

action1 being a script :
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class Action1 : Action
    2. {
    3.     public Action1()
    4.     {
    5.         actionName = "Action1";
    6.     }
    8.     public override ActionResult Start(Agent agent, float deltaTime)
    9.     {
    10.         Debug.Log("Start");
    11.         return ActionResult.SUCCESS;
    12.     }
    14.     public override ActionResult Execute(Agent agent, float deltaTime)
    15.     {
    16.         Debug.Log("Execute");
    17.         return ActionResult.SUCCESS;
    18.     }
    20.     public override ActionResult Stop(Agent agent, float deltaTime)
    21.     {
    22.         Debug.Log("Stop");
    23.         return ActionResult.SUCCESS;
    24.     }
    25. }
    Then I created a GameObject with a "Behavior Tree Mind" Script referencing my BT.
    I press play and nothing appends (no log from the action class)

Also If I loose focus on the BT editor then come back to it,

I got a warning:
    and an error:
    I 'am a litlle bit lost.

11. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Oops! You don't need a BTActivationManager anymore. That was one of the simplifications we made over RAIN{one}. It looks like we forgot to update all of our wiki documentation though. Thanks for catching that.

All you need to do to have your AI run a behavior tree that you've already created with the Behavior Tree Editor is to set the Behavior Tree Filename field of your AI's Behavior Tree Mind to the name of your behavior tree as seen in the Project pane. Make sure that you use the menu option RAIN->Create AI to create your AI. This will hook up all the necessary components. More information can be found here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/rainindie/wiki/doku.php?id=gettingstarted:creatingai

Thanks again, we will make amendments to the wiki.

Best,
    Jester

12. Teila

Teila

I am also interested in seeing these examples. We are looking for something more than mob behavior in our game and the goal oriented behaviors interested us. I must admit I am a bit disappointed in the documentation I find on the website. The videos are difficult to get through (lots of time spent figuring how to use Unity) and the Wiki is rather vague. Hope to see better videos and tutorials in the future.

Thank you for making this free to the indies. While we would happily pay for something that works for us, free is always good as long as it is well supported.

13. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Teila,

Thanks for the post. You're very welcome, we made RAIN{indie} free for everyone using Unity. We feel that the community needs a full AI solution.

The project you're looking for is live. It's called "Behavor Tree Demo" on our Sample Projects Page. It gives an excellent example of how to replicate Goal Oriented behavior. http://support.rivaltheory.com/sampleprojects

Also, here is a video explaining the behavior tree. The beginning is an overview of the project, and the Behavior Tree explanation starts at 30:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oDgZfF4OUs

Let me know if this helps.
    Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  14. Teila

Teila

Jester,

Wonderful video and it did help a great deal! I am assuming since you sent me to this video that all this can be done with the free version of Rain. If so, this will work wonderfully with our project.

Thank you!

15. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for the follow-up! All credit goes to Jake Casper for making that video. :)

Yes, the video was made with RAIN{indie}. We would like to reiterate, RAIN{indie} is an evolution of RAIN{one}. It includes the same powerful framework but the process of creating AI has been made significantly easier. We’ve also eliminated a few features that turned out to be less useful for developers than we had hoped (Like Goal Oriented Behavior, but as you can see in the sample project you can still easily recreate it). In addition, RAIN{indie} includes upgrades to Behavior Trees with more powerful expressions and access to game variables. Think of RAIN{indie} as a more streamlined version of RAIN{one} — and it’s free!

I'm glad you liked the video!

Best,
    Jester

16. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Community,

Thank you to everyone that has supported RAIN{indie}. Since RAIN{indie} released we've seen thousands of downloads. Some community members have gone the extra step to create tutorials and how-to documents that showcase the power of RAIN{indie}.

Here is the link: http://support.rivaltheory.com/forums#/discussion/390/community-generated-tutorials-and-documents-

If you have some content and want us to link to it from our website, please comment or contact jester@rivaltheory.com.

Quick note, since the RAIN{one} forums are still active with RAIN{indie} users, we will continue post updates on RAIN{indie}. The posts will tapper off as more and more RAIN{indie} users migrate over to the appropriate forum.

RAIN{indie} Forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/16...ngine-Released?p=1169797&posted=1#post1169797

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Community,

Our partners the Tornado Twins just released a new tutorial for the FPS Control mod tool featuring RAIN{indie}. I’ll keep updating as they release more parts. Enjoy!

"In this tutorial we're using FPS Control's embedded AI system RAIN{indie} to give a character a smart brain." -Tornado Twins

FPS Control Mod Tool Tutorial #4: Pro AI in Unity3d using RAIN{indie} FPSControl.com. [8:47]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClZWgUsFqyA

Tornado Twins Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TornadoTwins?feature=watch
    FPS Control Free Download: http://www.fpscontrol.com/

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. dragonstar

dragonstar

19. bbsbot

bbsbot

I suggest make one downloadable PDF tutorial of rainone indie. for offline read, very handy.

20. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello dragonstar,

Thanks fir the post, the error (as best I can tell, can't get it focused) seems to indicate that you're running it in the wrong version of Unity, in particular it's looking for something that is in Unity 4 and not finding it. It appears that you may have somehow opened a Unity 4 package with 3.5.

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Jester

21. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Unity Community,

I wanted to let you all know that we will be chatting live about the creation of RAIN{indie} artificial intelligence engine on March 15th 4PM EST!

If you have questions you always wanted to ask about AI, our company, or our tech-- now is your chance. :)

Livestream will be here, conducted by ETeeski.

See what time 4PM EST is in your neck of the woods with the World TimeZone Converter.

See you all on the 15th!

-Jester

Side Note: Frequently check the "Community Generated Tutorials" link in my signature. We just recieved a new batch of tutorials thanks to CodersExpo!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  22. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

CodersExpo (an AWESOME community member) delivers a great video on how to use Custom Actions in RAIN{indie} using code.

He teaches how to get an AI to select a random waypoint to patrol until it detects the player. Once the AI detects the player it moves toward it and stops moving once it can't see the player.

If you have any videos using RAIN{indie} please message us! It helps the community and we would love to give you a shout-out!

Videos at the bottom of the thread Custom Actions in RAIN{indie} Using Code #1 and #2

Let me know if you guys have any questions/requests, comments, or if you'd like to meet up for GDC! We will be there the 26th-29th!

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  23. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Has rain{one} become {rain}indie now?

24. AaronC

AaronC

It seems Rain indie is the main project now, and the rain one project is obsolete.

Personally I'm disappointed to spend $100 to find the project no longer supported and a free version maintained instead.

25. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello AaronC,

Thanks for the post, think of RAIN{indie} as an evolution of RAIN{one}. We will continue to offer support to you and any RAIN{one} users through email, documentation, and forums. We will also develop RAIN{one} if there are any fixes that need to be implemented. Email support@rivaltheory.com with any questions, or issues.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
    Jester

26. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

27. zeeawk

zeeawk

I caught the article and is how I discovered RAIN :)

Right now the documentation seems rather incomplete and (if I remember right) references at times things that don't exist.
    Is work being done to make more complete documentation?

28. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Zeeawk,

Thanks for the post, we're glad you read it!

Yes, we are looking into options for developing our documentation. We are looking for more Wiki contributors, and tutorials makers. Is there a place in particular that you find needs special attention?

Best,
    Jester

29. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Community,

We are releasing a RAIN{indie}/Mecanim beta in the next few days to our newsletter list. To get the beta, sign up here: http://rivaltheory.com/downloadindie/ (Step 2)

We look forward to your feedback!

Best,
    Jester

30. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

31. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

EDIT: Reposted with Part 2 added

Hello Unity,

I wanted to share this video created by community member Ryan Meowers. He gives step-by-step instruction on how to set up a Mecanim character with RAIN{indie}, using RAIN{indie}'s navigation, behavior tree, and sensor/aspect features.

Check it out and let us know what you think!

Part 2

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  32. Precizion

Precizion

Is there a way to set up the obstacle avoidance to count terrain trees as something to avoid?

Don't want to use a navmesh as can't see that working that well with such a large terrain (and intend to make it procedurally generated at some point as well)

33. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Precizion,

Thanks for posting! Are you using RAIN{indie} or RAIN{one}?

I look forward to your response.

Best,
    Jester

34. Precizion

Precizion

RAIN{indie}. Sorry, looks like I posted in the wrong thread.

35. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

That's no problem. We'll get you an answer here and I'll post this conversation on the Indie thread.

36. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Precizion,

Using obstacle avoidance for avoiding terrain trees is a possibility. RAIN's obstacle avoidance relies on detecting gameobjects and modifying the path to avoid them. It's not an ideal solution, but, depending on the specifics of your scenario, this may be enough.

Check out the Obstacle Avoidance Demo on our website to see learn more about it:

http://support.rivaltheory.com/sampleprojects

Let me know what you think!

Best,
    Jester

37. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

RAIN{indie} Features: Graph Modifier

Hello Unity,

Here's a RAIN{indie} feature showcase.

The Graph Modifier feature in RAIN{indie} allows you to adjust the navigation graph at runtime without having to re-compute the nav grid using recast. Common uses are for doors that open/close or static items that appear and disappear like treasure chests or crates.

Enjoy!

Jester

38. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Unity,

Thank you for all your suggestions on how to improve RAIN{indie}. We just launched a new version that allows custom overrides in our PathManager.Avoid. This can be really helpful if you would like to create your own custom obstacle avoidance.

The link to the sample project is below.

Patch notes: http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/rainindiereleasenotes

Free Download: http://rivaltheory.com/rainindie/

Updated Obstacle Avoidance Sample Project: http://support.rivaltheory.com/sampleprojects

Let us know what you think!

Best,
    Jester

39. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Our Studio Showcase program is live! Get your game in front of thousands!

Studio Showcase is a free program where we promote games using RAIN to thousands of players, artists, and developers that are waiting to see the next great idea. Your idea.

$Studio Showcase banner large.png

Click the link below to get started.

We can't wait to see your projects!

http://bit.ly/1aN0UnQ

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  40. marcaurelio74

marcaurelio74

HI,
    i need an AI pathfinding solution to manage a terrain of size at least of 5kmX5km, is RAIN suitable for this task?
    Thanks

41. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for the question!

That navmesh is a bit large even for Unity, we will need to test it out to see if it would work. Could you tell us a bit more about the project? Is it a simulation with cars or tanks?

In the meantime check out out RAIN{indie} forums (soon to be just RAIN forums). http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/167791-RAIN-indie-Free-Powerful-AI-Engine-Released/page10

Thanks,
    Jester

42. BobbleHead

BobbleHead

A Quick question

I don't need very clever AI. I'm looking for AI to simply follow a player, and avoid obstacles in the scene. I can assume Rain can handle this with ease, but is Rain for this task overkill?

My game is Similar to the old kind of Donkey Kong arcade.

43. Alex_Kun90

Alex_Kun90

Hello guys , I have a problem with rain. I want make that some game object( when them walk) have a security distance to keep , How i made it? how i setting the IA of my game objects?

44. RT_Jester

RT_Jester