Search Unity

RAIN{one}- Artificial Intelligence Engine-RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RT_Jester, Jul 23, 2011.

1. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks mrbdrm for all the kind words and feedback! We will make a note of your wish list and try to deliver. :)

As always let us know how we're doing and we will do our best to accommodate.

Best,

Rival{Theory} Team

2. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Sure it's possible! Create an ai and save it as a prefab. "Spawning" an instance of that prefab can be done normally.

@Likos1 Yes we are in the works of having a free version of the asset store. What is going into the free version as yet to be determined. If you keep an eye out on the blog or sign up for the newsletter you will get the most recent news.

As always, let me know if you have any more questions!

Best,

Jester

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Could this also handle AI for a fighting game...?

4. r4mkum4r

r4mkum4r

Can i use Rain{one} for AI cars .

5. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Yes, RAIN{one} is an excellent solution for an AI fighting game.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Best,

Jester

6. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

R4mkum4r, thanks for the question. The answer is not as clear as it would be with the many other uses for RAIN{one}. We have some users experiencing lot of success using RAIN{one} for their moving vehicles-- while others met some hurdles in development. So it is completely possible to use RAIN{one} with vehicles. However, we have smart characters in mind while building RAIN{one} while other solutions on Unity focus mainly on vehicles.

I hope this answers your question! Let me know if you have any more!

Best,

Jester

7. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Community,

I hope your projects are going well! We have a few announcements:

1. RAIN{one} v1.2 Wiki is now open to the public! We are really excited about all the content we added and believe this solid foundation will give our users the resources they need to build truly amazing projects. Take a look, we're sure you'll have a deeper understanding of RAIN{one} after using it.
    http://support.rivaltheory.com/wiki/doku.php

2. RAIN{one} Wiki contributions. If you have experience with RAIN{one} and would like to contribute to the Wiki please send me an email jester@rivaltheory.com and I will get you set up.

As always, let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Jester

8. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

.. Nevermind. For Unity 4 you have a 2.0 version. No need to buy this one then.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. Acelondoner

Acelondoner

Where did you read that?

I was planning on buying Rain One package on the weekend but if that's the case, I'll leave it.

10. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I just want to say that I've been wanting this for a long time and I think I'm finally able to get it soon.

11. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello @BrUnO XaVIeR and @Acelondoner Thank you very much for your interest in RAIN{one} and RAIN 2.0 . I have a few pieces of information for you guys. :)

- We are currently planning to release an Indie Developer build of RAIN 2 early 2013.
    - Our new Pro Tools will be available to select partners beginning March 2013.

RAIN v2.0 is not out yet, so there will still be a lot of value in RAIN{one} for Developers that need an AI solution this weekend (as Acelondoner mentioned).

These are not firm dates, but are our current projected development schedule.

RAIN{one} v1.2 is the most powerful AI package on Unity. I will be your direct contact here at Rival{Theory} if you have any questions! If you pick it up and send me your invoice number I will grant you access to our sample projects. :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,

Jester

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  12. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

We will be happy to work with you! Let me know if you pick it up, I can give you access to resources.

Best,

Jester

13. Acelondoner

Acelondoner

So just to confirm.

You will still be working on/ updating the current rain one correct?

Also, you should probably put the wiki link on the first post so it's easy to find.

14. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Yes, as we find issues or have feature requests we will update RAIN{one}. Thanks for the tip, I'll put a link on the first post right away.

15. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Community!

Here are the latest patch notes for v1.2.1. Please note that if you run into any trouble upgrading a prior RAIN{one} project, contact me with any questions. We advise you to make a copy of your project before upgrading. If you have not already checked out the Wiki, please feel to here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/wiki/doku.php

Let me know if you have any questions! jester@rivaltheory.com

LINK TO PATCH NOTES: http://bit.ly/SFMaLC
    LINK TO DOWNLOAD: http://u3d.as/content/rival-theory-/rain-one-/22D

Thanks
    -Jester

16. corax

corax

How much will cost rain{one} 2.0?

17. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Corax! Thanks for the question.

RAIN 2.0 will be an advanced version of RAIN specifically designed for larger studios and professional developers. RAIN 2.0, built for Unity 4.0, includes more sophisticated movement, pathfinding, and locomotion options, as well as new animation support (including support for Mecanim). We've also upgraded our AI logic system while optimizing the system for improved speed and memory use, making RAIN 2.0 the most advanced AI system available for Unity. Please contact me, jester@rivaltheory.com for more info.

Let me know if you have any more questions! For more in-depth into our plans check out our news http://rivaltheory.com/rivaltheory-roadmap

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  18. lwaarbroek

lwaarbroek

I was wondering how to do a simple condition check / event listener if you have multiple behavior trees.

For instance: PersonA hits PersonB
    Then I want to detect in PersonB's behavior tree when he receives a hit from person A.

Thanks,
    Luuk

19. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Luuk thank you very much for your question.

In RAIN{one} there is no event model within behavior trees. There is also no special communication layer between AI. If you’d like being hit to be something that a behavior tree can react to, you'll need to add that information to the AI’s actioncontext and check it in the behavior tree.

Here is a reference to our Wiki to help you along that path: http://support.rivaltheory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=raincode:btactivationmanager#parameterizing

Let me know if that link helped you.
    Best,
    Jester

20. unitylover2012

unitylover2012

Hi there

I have been looking at this great asset and all so A pathfinding project.

I want to use the AI from rainone and path findind of A pathfinding project mainly because I want to use the dynamic obsticle avoidence.

Is this possible if so how would I go about thisp please.

Thanks

21. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello unitylover2012!

Thanks for the post. To answer your question-- We don't have any direct experience with the A* Pathfinding asset but RAIN{one} is designed to be modular; you could use it for creating behavior and use a different solution for navigation and pathfinding. Custom actions and should give you the access you need to integrate with another navigation tool.

Let me know if this helps!

Jester

22. bravery

bravery

Hello

I was Reading the features of rain and found that it do support mobile, and I read in one of your posts that it support spawning enemies, so I'm assuming that your spawn system have a pooling feature because it's compatible with mobile is that right?

23. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for the post,

Let me address both of your questions. Yes we do support mobile

As for spawning: While we don't directly support spawning, but we do support all the the features Unity has in regard to spawning. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,
    Jester

24. bravery

bravery

yes, but what I'm talking about is: usually we spawn enemies using instantiate function, however on mobile devices this function may cause perforamnce issue specially if you instantiate (spawn) many enemies, so pooling technique come in place where the enemies will not destoryed but they will be keept in the pool and get resuced many times, this will enhance performance.

So your package support spawning with the pooling technique?

if not can it be integrate with pool manager plugin in asset store?

Thanks

25. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for the follow-up!

Short answer, Yes. Although it depends on how you use it, RAIN should have no problem working with either a custom pooling setup, or the pool manager plugin. If you have trouble with either feel free to contact us again and we can work with you on fixing it.

Let me know what you think.
    Best,
    Jester

26. Jamie1992

Jamie1992

Im confused how would you mix A* pathfinding product with RAINONE AI?

Any one done this yet or could share the code reqiured?

Thanks

27. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

We have not personally done this, but perhaps someone in the community has. Would you also like to ask on our Rival Theory support forums? The link is in my signature.

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  28. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Big announcement:

If you're looking for a free trial of RAIN (Called RAIN{indie}) to see if you like it, or want to make some great games, now is your chance!

Our partners the Tornado Twins released their very own state-of-art FPS mod tool on Unity 3D with RAIN{one} AI! The version of RAIN{one} included with FPS Control is the same version as our most recent release on the Unity Asset Store. The only difference is that users of the FPS Control version are restricted for use within FPS Control projects (i.e., they may not use RAIN{one} in other projects).

Unrestricted licenses are still available in our FREE upcoming RAIN{indie} version that's optimized for Unity 4. So if you can wait a few weeks for the free version, do so. Contact me for any questions.

http://www.fpscontrol.com/.

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  29. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello All,

As a big thank you for being an important part of our Rival Theory community, we would like to offer free access to RAIN{indie} before it hits the Unity Asset Store. RAIN{indie} is a complete solution for adding pathfinding, movement, sensing, and behavior to any Unity project.

FAQs to learn more about the differences between RAIN{one} and RAIN{indie} as well as the many reasons to upgrade your next game project today. http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/faq

To download RAIN{indie}, just click the link and follow the 2 steps.
    RAIN{indie}: http://rivaltheory.com/downloadindie

If you want to share the RAIN{indie} link with any of your friends, please feel free to do so.

As always, any questions are welcome.

It’s because of you that we continue to make the most powerful AI solutions for Unity.
    Thanks again,

-Rival Theory

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  30. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello All,

We are continuing to improve RAIN{indie}

RAIN{Indie} v1.3.1 is live

Patch Notes:
    Fix for some users on iOS

1.3.1 Release notes:

- Fix to ActionContext for iOS builds
    - Fixes for 3D movement with waypoints
    - Revised EULA

Latest version of RAIN{indie}: http://rivaltheory.com/downloadindie

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Thanks again,

-Rival Theory

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  31. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi

I own Rain One, however I didn't get a chance to use it then. Now I'm thinking of using it for next project, and I read in the faq that is discontinuted, and now it is indie version 1.31 only?

32. RazorCut

RazorCut

Well, read the EULA closely for RAIN{indie}. It's a horrible EULA. They make it seem as if indie means you are totally solo and do not use a distributed source code repository. At the end of the day, it's pretty much useless. Anybody would be better off to just pick up a copy of Artificial Intelligence for Games (http://www.amazon.com/Artificial-In...8&qid=1359228456&sr=8-1&keywords=AI+for+games) and read up on the behavior trees chapter to implement their own solution since RAIN{one} is no longer available or maintained for Unity4. The cost of RAIN 2.0 is definitely prohibitable for almost all indies ($10k per title).

I'm not saying Rival{Theory} is doing anything wrong, but that EULA is a crock and unrealistic. Be sure to read it.

And "indie" doesn't mean "one person". The Unity indie community would be better served if RAIN{one} was still available for purchase at $100 to $200 and maintained.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  33. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello RazorCut,

Thank you very much for reading our EULA, we couldn't agree with you more. We identified the mistakes in the previous EULA and updated it a few days ago. The current version can be found here http://www.rivaltheory.com/RAINIndie_1.3_EULA.pdf. You will notice that the updated language is very unrestrictive. The download of RAIN{indie} on the Asset Store is governed by the Unity EULA so there should no surprises there. Read our FAQ to make sure RAIN{indie} is right for you: http://support.rivaltheory.com/faq

RAIN{indie} is still a much faster solution than running your own AI engine, it's free, and with the updated EULA it's worth giving it a try.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
    Jester

34. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Just imported the package in a new project in unity 4.0 and got this:

Instance of RAINAgentEditor couldn't be created because there is no script with that name.

35. imtrobin

imtrobin

So what's the deal with previous owners of Rain one and Rain 2.0? If there's nothing, I would go with Playmaker (Behavior tree coming soon in 1.5) and combining with the other pathfinding kits.

36. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

so i wasted my money on rain one :( and its even not supported anymore. that is a very bad move.
    i don't trust buying from you anymore.

37. loadexfa

loadexfa

Regarding the updated EULA, not an expert but it appears sharing code with a team is still out which won't work for projects that aren't tiny. From the EULA:

3.a.i
    "to install and execute the executable form of the Software,
    solely for internal use by a single person, and"

3.b
    "Copies. If you have licensed a version of the Software and you are
    an individual or a Legal Entity, you may install the Software on both a
    primary computer and a secondary computer, solely for your
    convenience, but only for use by a single person. You may make a
    single copy of the Software solely for backup or archival purposes.
    Rival Theory may at our sole discretion authorize you to install the
    Software on an additional computer or computers"

4.a.ii
    (you may not...)
    "make the functionality of the Software available to multiple
    users through any means, including but not limited to by
    uploading the Software to a network or file-sharing service
    or through any hosting, application services provider,
    service bureau, software-as-a-service (SaaS) or any other
    type of services; or"

Am I missing something or is this only available to individuals? Games that need complex AI are most likely going to need a team.

38. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Changchun,

Thanks for the question, this is usually an issue with the DLL failing to import due to other errors in the project. Make sure to take care of any other compilation errors first and then try reimporting RAIN.

Let me know if this helps.
    -Jester

39. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello imtrobin,

Thanks for raising this concern, we would like to make it officially clear that support for RAIN{one} is not going anywhere. If you have any issues, bug reports, questions, concerns, etc. we are still here to support you as we always have.

With RAIN{indie}, we felt the best way to continue serving the Unity community was to release a new, streamlined version of RAIN that is not only free, but that we'll be able to continue to grow and upgrade in the future.

I'd also like to clarify that RAIN{one} still works in Unity 4 projects (although you may see a few warnings about deprecated functions) and that there is no need convert an existing project to RAIN{indie}. That's especially true if you are using Goal Oriented Behavior or Activation Managers, as those features are not included with RAIN{indie}.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
    -Jester

40. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello mrbdrm,

We've appreciated having you as a customer of RAIN{one} for a year+, and hope that you have been happy with our frequent updates and improvements to RAIN{one}.

Concerning support for RAIN{one}, I want to make sure everyone is one the same page-- support for RAIN{one} will continue as it always has been. We will still develop RAIN{one} if there are any fixes that need to be implemented. We are always just an email, or a post away.

I hope this clarifies things. As always, any questions are welcome.

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  41. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello loadexfa,

Thanks for reading the EULA and posting this question. The EULA has some language that can get confusing, but I will break it down to make sure those that use RAIN{indie} are comfortable. I also want to point out that our EULA is very similar to Unity's.

The EULA breaks down as follows: Each person is licensing it individually. This does not restrict you on how you use it and does not restrict against teams and sharing code across groups, as long as each individual in those groups have accepted the EULA. It's intended to restrict users from copying and distributing our software to individuals who have not accepted the EULA (for example, file-sharing, or torrent sites). Basically, each person using it needs to go get a copy from either the Asset Store or our website, and thus enter into the EULA individually.

So please, download RAIN{indie}, pass the link on to your work group and start building AI together. As mentioned before, the EULA was updated a few days ago http://rivaltheory.com/downloadindie

If you are still unsure about the EULA, RAIN{indie} will be on the Asset Store (as soon as Unity posts it) and thus governed by the Unity EULA.

I hope this clears up any confusion. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Best,
    Jester

42. nixter

nixter

Not a legal/license question, I swear! :) Just a pricing one :(

I've loaded up Rain{indie} and played around with it a bit. Seems useful and I'm eager to try it out in my next game! However, I'm worried about the upgrade path.

Just a few posts ago, you mentioned that RAIN{One} contains "Goal Oriented Behavior [and] Activation Managers that RAIN{indie} doesn't have". Those features sound good. I'd like to use those. $100 sounds like a small price to pay for those extra features. But wait! In the FAQ page, it says "RAIN{indie} includes upgrades to Behavior Trees with more powerful expressions and access to game variables." That makes it sound like RAIN{indie} has features RAIN{one} won't get, as though it's the primary focus of development and Rain{One} will be supported for compatibility, but no features will be extended.

So I'm guessing Sentio is the rebranding of RAIN{two} and RAIN{indie} is a reduced feature version of Sentio. Am I getting warm? :confused:

RAIN{one} was successful for a while earning $100 per sale, but eventually sales dropped off when other competitors arrived on the market. Now that RAIN{two} (AKA Sentio) is ready you have decided to emulate Unity's business model: give away a reduced-feature version of the software that will satisfy the indies with no money and then charge a premium price for the serious commercial devs who need all the features. That's how Unity Indie/Pro works and your business can be the same. I'm cool with that.

But how much is Sentio? There is no price listed or way to buy it on your website. RazorCut upthread claimed it is $10,000 per title. Is that correct? That makes me less eager to invest time in this technology, not because it's an unfair price (you can charge whatever you feel you need to keep the lights on) but because I don't see myself being in that tier of game development anytime soon.

I can see myself upgrading to Unity Pro someday at $1500, but I cannot imagine paying $10,000 for an AI system.

In short: The jump between 0 and $10,000 seems too wide. That's beyond Adobe Student/Professional wide and getting into the territory of Autodesk Student/Professional wide. Have you considered a Sentio{lite} middle tier for $500 or so?

Also: A comprehensive feature comparison chart with pricing for all three versions of the software would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  43. RazorCut

RazorCut

Ok awesome because I experience a bug with it that's been bothering me for a while. I'll toss you the info about it tomorrow.

44. RazorCut

RazorCut

I concur. No doubt pricing decisions are based on facts that us outsiders to a company have no right to question or grasp, other than just say "yeah, well...i can't afford that so i'll look elsewhere or get off my lazy ass and make it myself." But it does seem amazing that there is such a huge gap... free <--> $10k. I'm glad I only paid $100 for RAIN{one} but I'd be happy to pay $100 again for RAIN{one-and-a-half} upgraded and maintained for Unity4.

45. loadexfa

loadexfa

Thanks Jester, that does clarify it for me and all sounds good. Look forward to trying it once we upgrade to Unity 4.x (waiting on funds to upgrade our iOS licenses).

46. imtrobin

imtrobin

My question is still unanswerd, what is the future of Rain {X} for current Rain One owners? If it's 10k, I will bite my losses and move to another system. I can't justifiy it with 10k or even 1k when there are systems like Xait around. And has Rain being used in shipped titles commercially? I'm was planning to.

47. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello nixter,

Thanks for the post! You have made some great observations :) We'd like to set the record straight on a few topics.

The ActivationManager was an unnecessary step in creating behavior trees—thus we streamlined the process. You can get similar behavior by extending your own MonoBehaviour and attaching it to your GameObject. Wiki page here.
    Based on feedback we received from our RAIN{one} users, Goal Oriented Behavior was an underutilized feature—we removed it for the time being. Goal Oriented Behavior is still a feature that we may explore implementing in the future.

While Unity’s business model works for them, it is not our business model. Sentio and RAIN 2 are not upgraded versions of RAIN{indie} or RAIN{one}. Sentio is a combination of multiple AI technologies that includes RAIN 2.

Sentio is a completely different approach for creating AI in entertainment and is only currently available to select partners. There is no intended upgrade path of RAIN{indie} to Sentio because they serve different purposes. There is no public price listed for Sentio or RAIN 2.

We released RAIN{indie} for developers who need a complete solution to solve all traditional game AI problems like pathfinding, behavior, sensors, detection, etc.. It’s a powerful tool that all Unity developers should have free access to use in their projects. It is our intention to continue developing, upgrading, maintaining, listening to feedback, and adding features to RAIN{indie} overtime. This includes the Unity 4 version.

For existing RAIN{one} customers—direct support for RAIN{one} will continue as it always has. We will still develop RAIN{one} if there are any fixes that need to be implemented. For new Rival Theory customers, we would urge you to pick up RAIN{indie}. For more information on the transformation of RAIN{one} into RAIN{indie} please read this post http://rivaltheory.com/news . If you have purchased RAIN{one} this year and feel that RAIN{indie} is a better option, please feel free to return RAIN{one} through the Asset Store.

Thank you to everyone posting. I hope this answers your questions. As always, let us know what you think.

Best,
    Jester

48. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Just to clarify- as I said in my last post, RAIN{one} is not discontinued, We will still develop RAIN{one} if there are any fixes that need to be implemented. If you are starting a new project, we suggest you use RAIN{indie} (Unity 4 is currently supported, a Unity 3.5 version will be out soon), you will not be missing any vital functionality or features by doing so.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
    Jester

49. nixter

nixter

Jester,

Thanks for explaining that and clearing up my misconception. After reading the wiki page, it sounds like there is no dilemma in which version to use because RAIN{indie} includes all the functionality of RAIN{one}. Everything in RAIN{one} is an older, deprecated version. Got it.

Sentio looks interesting, but I guess it's high-priced AI middleware not intended for solo developers such as myself.

I do very much like the Sensing Tags --> Behavior model your system uses. I'll play around with it and give you some feedback on your site forums.

50. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thank you very much for the post, RAIN{one} is by no means old and deprecated-- both systems are amazing and powerful for creating AI. Developers that are using RAIN{one} in their projects should stay with RAIN{one} if it's works for them.

I'd also like to clarify that RAIN{one} still works in Unity 4 projects (although you may see a few warnings about deprecated functions) and that there is no need convert an existing project to RAIN{indie}. That's especially true if you are using Goal Oriented Behavior or Activation Managers, as those features are not included with RAIN{indie}.

With RAIN{indie}, we felt the best way to continue serving the Unity community was to release a new, streamlined version of RAIN that is not only free, but that we'll be able to continue to grow and upgrade in the future.

Thanks again for the post! We look forward to your feedback on the forums!

Best,
    Jester

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013