Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RAIN{one}- Artificial Intelligence Engine-RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RT_Jester, Jul 23, 2011.

1. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

ATTENTION Current RAIN{one} customers: If you need a copy of RAIN{one} or have any support issues please contact us .

If you are looking for our full free AI engine, RAIN{indie} please click here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RAIN{one} v1.2 is now available

Hello Unity!! My name is Jester! Myself along with the Rival{Theory} Team are here to answer your questions about RAIN{one}!

We are here to assist you in all of your projects. We will do our best to answer your questions quickly and completely.

Some of the major features of RAIN{one} include:

• Pathfinding, Pathfollowing, Navigation Graph Generation
    • Behavior Trees
    • Goal Oriented Behaviors
    • Locomotion
    • Sensors
    • One-Click AI Configuration...and much more.
    We have API documentation, User Manual, Tutorials (more on the way), Code Samples (more on the way), and Full Support. We are going to be updating regularly with new features based on your feedback, so don't be shy!

The next scheduled update will be around July 30th, 2011. Some of the features we are working to include are, upgrades to Obstacle Avoidance, Integrated Behavior Tree Editor, Additional Tutorials and Code Examples.

Here are some helpful links to get you more familiar with RAIN{one}

Support Page: http://support.rivaltheory.com/ (documentation, tutorials, forums and more)

New RAIN{one} Wiki Doc: http://support.rivaltheory.com/rainone/wiki/doku.php

If you have any questions/comments please email us at support@rivaltheory.com

Good luck on your projects!

-Jester

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. giyomu

giyomu

sound interesting, going to give it a try :)

3. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Well I have to say, having watched the videos, that this looks interesting

I have to have a play and see what I can do with this and how it links in with other assetts that I use.

The videos clearly show a very simple implementation, I really would like to see some of the more complex stuff including full nav grid and avoidance, but I assume thats coming in the vids soon. :)

Regards

Graham

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. zine92

zine92

Is there a trial that i can have my hands on. There's a thread somewhere discussing bout using this plugin but there's some mixed feelings about the plugins. So i was thinking perhaps a trial or more showcase on what it can do rather than just tutorials. :D

5. liverolA

liverolA

no trail=no way

6. Kinos141

Kinos141

oh, sweet, I can use this--one hun,,, - on second thought, learning to code AI can be good for me.:)

7. DigitalGlass

DigitalGlass

It's looking pretty good so far, I like what I see, but I'm not convinced on buying it yet. I may need to wait on the tutorials finishing up or a feature breakdown in action to be sold. Not to mention the performance under the hood. Are the behaviour trees instanced? Can behaviours be easily shared among different kind of prefabs?

Free trial would also be helpful :D

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Will give this new version a go next week to see how it works in action and if my time allows me writting up a detailed blog for the "no trial no way" guys that miss out many great things on the Asset Store already.

9. HJP

HJP

interesting ... I am waiting for the next tutorial ....

10. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello everyone! The next tutorial will be posted this week along with the first update. I forgot to post a link to our blog for anyone interested http://rivaltheory.com/blog

We support this post along with a thread that was started earlier http://bit.ly/ngJIgJ, Unity Answers as well as the forums on our own website http://support.rivaltheory.com/. I look forward to hearing from you.

11. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

unbelievable Finally a full AI solution
    i hope its as good as you say
    im buying it anyway :)

12. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks mrbdrm! Let us know what you think. :)

13. runonthespot

runonthespot

Hi there- sorry I also posted this question on your forums- Basically, I'm interested in your product, but have a specific enemy setup, and want the enemy AI to control the enemy ship identically to how a human would have to control it. In my case, it's a 2.5d space game, similar to star control or asteroids, where the rotation is not physics based, just rotating in place, but there's a thruster, which adds force in the direction the ship is facing. The rotation speed and thrust amount is subject to constraints, which the enemy AI should experience, in the same way the player does. As such, your default behaviours which directly apply to the rigidbody wouldn't work for me.

My question is, once I've setup AI behaviours using your technology, how hard is it to write a custom AI controller that takes that information and translates it into appropriate keypresses / rotations to simulate a human playing the same role?

Thanks!

14. runonthespot

runonthespot

the ships, for added info, are y position locked and x/z rotation locked, to effectively constrain them to a 2d plane. As stated, the rotation is not force based, but simple rotation with a maximum number of degrees to simulate different speed turning circles, and then a simple forward-vector thrust.

15. runonthespot

runonthespot

16. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Here is the response from Prime on our website forums for anyone that didn't see it there.

"The steering behavior components that drive the current PathManager are accessible in code. You could easily use those directly and then apply the results to the Agent. RAIN supports both instantaneous velocity and acceleration based movement and rotation.

I think you would want to do this in your case, as the base pathmanager setup uses instantaneous velocity and a starship game should use acceleration.

The agent.Kinematic supports an AddForces method that allows you to apply accelerations. You could use an AIKinematicController to actually apply the forces to your gameobject, or you could do it manually.

If you use this setup, you only need a few lines of code to use the steering behaviors and then apply the Steering to the Kinematic. This won't interfere with your use of behavior trees or goal oriented behavior.

Let me know if you need more detail."

17. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello all! We noticed that our newest update requires the user to upgrade to Unity 3.4, our first product release was for the Unity 3.3 version. Does anyone have strong arguments that we need to support Unity 3.3?

18. Hans

Hans

no stick with the 3.4

also when are the new doc's / video tuts coming?

19. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello everyone,

update 1.0.2 is now available on the Unity Asset store. Also, the Behavior Tree documentation has been updated.

RAIN{one} v1.0.2

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed variable loading in behavior trees
    - Expanding box sensor no longer resets when it detects an Aspect
    - Improved recast in certain geometries
    - Removed extraneous logging messages, especially around "Failed to load QuadFieldGraph"

Feature Changes:
    - Added repeatuntil attribute to behavior tree nodes
    - Added base behavior tree xml file creation
    - Behavior tree now takes a root node name to start from
    - Behavior tree variables are now accessible through actionContext (you can use as the type)
    - Behavior tree node names can now be blank (root node should have a name)
    - Sensors now default to the layer of the object to which they are attached
    - Added SphereSensor
    - Added support for graph wireframe to path manager for whole scene recast

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  20. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

I'm interested in evaluating RAIN{one} because it's an all-in-one solution, but have some reservations based on bugs starting to emerge in forums.

1) I have a single TerrainData of dimension 2000x2000 with a heightmap resolution of 513. I want to be able to generate a Recast NavMesh from this terrain, specifying layers that aren't walkable on like water and buildings at generation time. Have you tested RAIN{one} on large pieces of terrain?

2) Can I save out the generated navmesh as it's own file, via API or Editor functionality? Without having to write a custom exporter? Or detach the mesh entirely from the solution, and use it in another product such as AngryAnt's Path 3.0 due within the next few weeks?

3) I place buildings on the terrain during run-time (flattening the terrain underneath), and update my current navgraph to set nodes under the new building as unwalkable, and re-run the physics raycasting to update the navgraph in the affected zone. How does this requirement fit with the navmesh generation in RAIN{One}? I had been using a simple grid (see image link below) as this gives me a fine control over walkable nodes, but it consumes too much memory. So I swapped to using quad-tree post processing, which reduces the number of nodes, but I lose granularity of walkable nodes under a building. I'm still searching for the optimal solution, and being able to generate a navmesh in Unity, export it, hack away areas in 3dsMax, and then reimport it for use in a Pathfinding solution seems like a good avenue to try.

Simple Grid:
    $Map-Quads.JPG

Quad-Tree Post Processing:
    $Map.JPG

4) Is there a money-back guarantee in the event the product is not fit for purpose? Because RAIN{One} hasn't been out in the wild very long, the list of issues will no doubt grow, and there is a risk where I say enough is enough, and have to drop RAIN{one}.

It looks a very promising product which I can't wait to evaluate, I'm just holding out for some more example videos that are more appropriate to my RTS God game.

21. Dreamora

Dreamora

That comes due to the Unity version you build the package with. If you built it with 3.0 for example it would only require 3.0. If you build it with 3.4, then it requires 3.4.

for me personally 3.4 is fine

@gamesfoundry: It stores the nav mesh data to the path specified. But as far as I've seen the format is not documented and I'm also not sure what it really stores

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  22. Prime

Prime

The format we are using is not a triangle mesh and does not conform to a standard format. We are currently working on a set of patches to modify our navmesh setup, including supporting arbitrary triangle meshes (even not generated through RAIN), adding additional graph types, etc. I can't make promises around that because we're still making decisions about what to support. I would suggest that RAIN is not the correct solution for your navigation issues (at least not yet, in the current version) and should only be considered if you have use of its other capabilities.

RAIN{one} does support generating nav graphs that are localized to the waypoint system, which is often a reasonable way to support recast-based graph generation on very large terrains. In this setup, waypoints create their own meshes that are just large enough to reach neighbor waypoints. The AI switch graphs as they move along the waypoint path, using waypoints as a high level graph and navmesh as a detail graph.

Hope that helps

Prime. Rival Theory

23. Prime

Prime

oops - my prior post should have been tagged specifically as an answer to @gamesfoundry

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

@Dreamora,
    How fast is Rain waypoint system compared to Aron Granberg's waypoint system?

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

I've not benchmarked them against each other so far but I can see if I find some time this weekend to setup an environment suitable for both to test it in.

26. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello all!

Patch 1.0.3.1 has been submitted to Unity and should be available shortly. This fixes problems introduced in 1.0.3 related to file and path generation.

Thanks!

Jester

27. tatoforever

tatoforever

Do you have any release date for the BT editor?
    Cheers,

28. tatoforever

tatoforever

I would like to say that I've purchased Rain One and I'm more than happy with the purchase.
    I'll be replacing my old FSM and pathfinding systems with Rain One in the coming days. I'll post out results and tests. :D
    Looking forward for the BT editor!

29. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@tatoforever Thanks for the compliment. We do have plans for a BT editor, but I can't say for certain when. When I have a better idea I will post it and possibly send out an update.

If anyone wants updates/patches before the forums or social media gets them, register with us by going to help>register for updates. You can always opt out. I will send out emails as soon as they post, regardless of the time or the day.

And for added content I will share a cartoon photo from my nostalgic past http://bit.ly/pkW3My Anyone remember this?

Jester

30. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

don't tempt me more :)

31. tatoforever

tatoforever

buy buy buy buy buy! :D ^^

32. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@tatoforever lol thanks for that. Here is a few things we like around the office all packaged into one: Kittens, babies, and, of course, Zombies! http://bit.ly/q9GnhN enjoy

Jester

33. tatoforever

tatoforever

Lol, adorable zombie baby. ^^

34. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Everyone!

RAIN{one} v1.0.4 release notes with the visual Behavior Tree editor is now available to see on our forums. Keep an eye out on Unity3D Assetstore for when it becomes available to download-- we will as well. Thank you all for your patience.

http://bit.ly/orvQAB

Let us know what you think!

Jester

35. psyclone

psyclone

Not visible yet....

36. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

@Psyclone do you mean on the Unity Asset Store?

37. psyclone

psyclone

I did... however the store now publishes it....

38. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Everyone

This is from Prime about the newest patch regarding Behavior Trees

"A community member notified us of a problem with loading the Behavior Tree Editor when you don't have any existing behavior tree xml files. The editor will start throwing errors and will fail to work.
    Patch 1.0.4.1 resolves this issue and has been submitted to Unity for posting to the Asset Store.
    In the meantime, you can do the following:
    Either
    1) Add any xml file to your Assets/AI/Resources/BehaviorTrees folder
    or
    2) Click on the Mind of any rigged AI with a BehaviorTreeMind. type in a name for your xml file in the Inspector Window. Then click Generate Default Behavior Tree XML."

I hope this helps. It's a quick fix.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jester

39. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello everyone! We just made a video showcasing how to add a raycast script to an AI character to simulate line of sight. http://bit.ly/qFP8v3

40. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Unite 11 is right around the corner! September 28-30. http://unity3d.com/unite/sessions Let us know if you plan to attend the upcoming Unite 2011 conference. Prime and Harbinger will be there and available to answer questions, take suggestions, and discuss all things games, AI, and Unity.

Thanks,

Jester

41. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to let you all know that we are finishing up development of v1.0.5 and we will be showcasing some of the features of both 1.0.5 and 1.1 (set to release the first week of October) at Unite11, on stage. I will keep you all updated on our forums. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jester

42. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hey guys,

Here are the release notes for our latest v1.1. We have added many new features and fixed a number of bugs in regard to our recast. Please look over the patch notes to see where the changes happened. I want to let you all know that because of your help, we are the #1 AI solution on Unity3d! Thank you so much for being a part of that, and giving your valuable feedback. As always, contact us if you have any questions jester@rivaltheory.com.

Thanks again,

Jester

http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/release-notes

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  43. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hey guys, here is our latest version of RAIN. It's available on the Asset Store. Enjoy

Announcements: Would you like your game featured on our website?

Rival{Theory} is putting together a section on our website that showcases projects using RAIN{one}. Traffic on our website is steadily increasing so it will be a really great way to get your game/project out there. We are taking submissions now. Even if you only have a few scenes, our site can still be a great way to promote your work. We can also work with you to get the project up and running.

Drop us a line at media@rivaltheory.com to get started

http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/release-notes

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  44. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello All,

We have 2 announcements for you.

1) I'm proud to announce to you all that we have the revised documentation for RAIN{one} available on the website here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation

Along with a code sample section here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/codesamples

and NEW API documentation here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/api/index.html

2) RAIN{one} v1.1.2 is available on the Unity Asset Store. Release notes here: http://support.rivaltheory.com/documentation/release-notes

The release fixes issues with movement, obstacle avoidance, Behavior Trees, Goal Oriented Behavior, and others.

Phew, that was a lot. Let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks,

Jester

45. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

If anyone has feature requests for RAIN{one}, please feel free to post them here and we will go over them this week for our upcoming release.

46. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

I've been looking over the website and it all looks really great. I wanted to know if I had to program in C# when I have an action. Or can I use Javascript?

47. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello thelastprogrammer, you can use javascript. The actiontemplate will be posted to our website soon - but we can send it directly too. Let me know your email in a DM or post it here.

Thanks!

Jester

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

hello,

I would like to see more example of gob bevaviors.
    is there a link of your unite presentation where you built the example in the
    users guide. that would really help, or how to get that example behavior tree
    in the users guide, actually implemented and working?

I am able to follow it to a point..maby more action examples
    (follow path/patrol/locate player/face player/move and attack player/ if hit-find cover aspect/call for help)
    the example bevavior tree, pretty much does most of that
    but you do not finish with the class's defined or putting that example to practical use in unity.

just a thought

p-

49. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

I bought this the other day and there is a lot of documentation to go through, nothing seems to be missing, great job on it. There is a lot this pack has to offer for only $100. I'm going to get a game working soon, maybe in a week or so.

50. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

So this is the best third party solution I've bought so far. I need a few questions answered. In the activation manager script, how do I call the variables that I declare there in my action scripts? Is there anyway to do this using Rain, or should I just think about using GetComponent() to call those variables?

I would like to create zombies walking around a map. And the player is running around collecting stuff. But the zombies attack the player. And the player can attack the zombies. I was wondering if the Rain solution had someway to control the zombie's health with the behavior tree or if I would have to attach my own script and test for the zombie's death myself.

So in other words, I can have a Condition node that would test for health of the zombie, and if the Condition node returns true I could then run an Action script that would put the zombie into a frenzy that would result in a last stand type of behavior.

I will be playing around with the variables and the scripts but any insights into the Rain engine would help.