Search Unity

RAIN Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine v2.1 More Powerful, Still Free

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RT_Jester, Aug 15, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I wonder if the directory structure is important.

I see an AI directory made in the Minotaur asset, the RAIN directory and the sentio one. Is it possible to just drag the AI and sentio inside the RAIN directory without any issues ? Or i will need these in the root so RAIN can work ?

EDIT: I am trying to unpack and there are many issues. Is it possible to have a package with everything pre-unpacked ? Generally assets that try to alter the files in the project are a big problem.

Also it is a great idea to keep directories to a minimum, if they require to be in the root. Everything would be great inside the RAIN directory and have that as a requirement to be in the root, so absolute paths would always be easilly found and keep everything tidy and in one place.

EDIT 2: I have now managed to make it work, i left all directories intact in another new project and unpacked. Now i will move it to the main one in a package.

Great pack and with a lot to learn from.

A question, how can i detect a slope with the system, is it possible ? Assume two waypoints in different height, can i have my character jump when reach the height separation edge ?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Exeneva

Exeneva

How compatible is this asset (and the sentio characters) with turn-based games? If I want enemies to take turns in their actions, would I be better off with a custom AI solution?

3. eridani

eridani

Can RAIN be made to use the Unity Navmesh easily?

4. jonkuze

jonkuze

Sentio Necromancer: Review

Works Great! But... It would be nice to have the ability to swap out the Necromancer with my own Custom Character. While I understand the AI was designed for this Necromancer Character, that will limit your sales as not everyone will have use for this particular character. If we could re-use the ready made AI for our own characters then the Asset makes more Sense.

I think the point of the asset is to promote RAIN AI if i'm not mistaken. Otherwise I could just purchase this Character from the Original Author with Included Animations. I think the main selling Point for Sentio will be to provide Game-Ready AI that we can easily apply to our own Characters, not get stuck with a Character we don't really want to use in our Projects.

Overall I like the Sentio idea! I purchased this asset to test out how user friendly Sentio truly is, and it is very user-friendly as your advertise it to be. Only I think your focus should be more on allowing custom characters to be used with Sentio (Game-Ready) AI, not selling characters with cool AI that we can't re-use.

Ramsdal, BackwoodsGaming and OnePxl like this.
  5. lod3

lod3

Agreed, but is this the case? I've emailed RT in regards to using custom characters; just awaiting a response. Moreover, I was a bit confused reading this right after reading a review for their Sentio Darkness Warlord:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28751 (Expand all reviews)

Sounds like what you (and I) are looking for is possible. Do you mind if I ask what makes you feel the use of custom characters isn't currently possible?

Thank you!

6. hopeful

hopeful

Picked up the Squad Command package, but was disappointed to find that it crashes Unity 5 when you try to run an example scene.

7. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Is website down for long?

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So how do I remove this from my project? I downloaded it. Played with it for a bit, and decided it doesn't meet my needs for this particular project. However if I just delete the RAIN folder it keeps reimporting the .dll. A bit frustrating to say the least.

hopeful likes this.
  9. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

Ive got the enemy to patrol and run at the player when he sees him. the problem is that the ai looks strait through walls is there a way to make it so the ai cant look through walls?

10. renardmf

renardmf

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Unity 5.0.2 and I am running the latest version of RAIN (2.1.11.0). I started noticing that RAIN continuously asks me if I want to enable automatic updates, even if I say no, every time it compiles or I enter play mode. Is there something I can do to disable this completely? It really slows down my workflow.

Thanks in advance.

11. DeeCeptor

DeeCeptor

Hi. I'm considering using RAIN for my upcoming project.

Is RAIN suitable for 2D hex based turn-based strategy game? Examples would be Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Thanks

12. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

What kind of AI? smart NPC? pathfinding? Are you a coder? RAIN although it is free might be overkill and possibly difficult to get into.

If you are doing 2D hex-based then GameLogic Grids has some PathFinding AI. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gamelogic-grids-a-library-for-hex-tri-polar-and-square-grids.189866
    http://gamelogic.co.za

For NPC (and pathfinding) Behavior Designer with the Movement Pack can be used. It is visual coding with Behavior Trees and if you code you can code your own tasks than become visual elements:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/be...rees-for-everyone.227497/page-31#post-2277357
    http://opsive.com/assets/BehaviorDesigner/

But neither of theses are free.

BTW. I am making a 2D grid-based game too. Actually it uses all 3D objects but with a orthographic camera in a top-down view and I am using the above assets.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  13. DeeCeptor

DeeCeptor

I am a coder, and have taken AI courses and am familiar with A*.

The AI needs to be capable of deciding what move will inflict the most damage to enemies, while sticking closely to its other units so their forces don't get strung out and picked off one at a time.

I saw that there's a free A* pathing library. It should be possible to encode this behaviour by giving each hex a value or a cost, depending on the 'threat level' of being in that hex. Ex: being next to a swarm of enemies is bad, being next to a single enemy and loads of allies is good.

Would it be simpler to make 'good' turn based strategy in RAIN, or would it be best if I just coded everything into the graph structure of the map and let A* do its magic?

14. JorJi

JorJi

Please help, i need change visual sensor range by script. Ok i try - gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<AIRig> ().AI.Senses.GetSensor("eyes").range but... it not work, where i can get it?

15. shao tsui

shao tsui

Hi, I got a question here. Does RAIN AI support windows 10 app build? I'm currently using RAIN AI (nice work by the way) in my project. When I tried to build windows 10 app, I got some error messages. I would like to know if RAIN AI supports windows 10 app build. Thank you.

16. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Can possible 3d space AI game with Rain?

Is it only solution for ground-based agents ? Is there any 3d systems available? It may be possible to do A* on a cubical grid.

17. Zireael07

Zireael07

Was the removal of .dll problem fixed?

Also, is this still alive? I heard tons of praise for the active forums and support and tutorials, but I'm having problems finding anything that's not outdated.

18. TheCelt

TheCelt

Has development on this asset been abandoned?

19. MaoFerrero

MaoFerrero

I guess so!
    info about rain is in a legacy section of the rivaltheory website

20. arnesso

arnesso

Thank you for the update. Does this great AI system work with Photon Network somehow ?
    Thanks for any help

21. mysticfall

mysticfall

I just made a custom Motor implementation to do that. Not too sure about the quality, as I'm very new to Unity/C#/RAIN so it might contain bugs.

Attached Files:

Alverik likes this.
  22. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Can I use this for having A.I on a sphere A.I that can shoot drive and fly on or between spherical planets? Thank you

23. hopeful

hopeful

I think RAIN has gone away, but you can double check on their support address to be sure.

24. Zax2015

Zax2015

Can anyone tell me where to get the Rain AI Documentation, tutorials, and extras please? All their links on the asset store and the forums are broken.

EricWilliams and JamesArndt like this.
  25. Dr_TKL

Dr_TKL

It's very sadly, that Rain AI is gone. Our team using this lib since 2015 in our projects. So now, we should search for another solution.

26. radiantboy

radiantboy

Does the final version of RAIN not work now ? Im trying rain and alll the sentio characters I bought a while back, but they dont seem to work anymore. I wish they would fix these and bring them back

27. radiantboy

radiantboy

Are your sentio dudes still working in unity 2018 or not ?

28. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

radiantboy sadly but from how it looks like they dont work anymore and unity store dont provide download for AI RAIN package.