Search Unity

railway axle

Discussion in 'Physics' started by etaymarkman, May 29, 2016.

1. etaymarkman

etaymarkman

Hi, i am currently developing a realistic train simulator using unity. the locos and wagons are currently rigid bodies sitting on a number of wheel colliders, now. unlike cars. trains use a rigid axle that connects both wheels togheter. and i wanna know how can i lock togheter two wheel colliders so they will spin at the exact same rotation rate. i tried a fixed joint but it required adding rigid bodies to the wheels that kinda ruined it

2. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

Hi,

I have a question for you. Is this really necessary? In desinging for virtual simulations we need to strike a balance between real-life physics and what looks good in our simulation. They rarely correspond exactly.

If you stray too far from what "feels real" to people whose experiences are based on the physical world around us, it breaks the magic. On the other hand, if you try to be too "technically perfect" you can sacrifice the vastly more important "feeling real in a virtual setting" to the much less important "being technically true."

Your project sounds awesome! I recently made a pretty accurate 1910 caboose in our virtual world, but just as a place to hang out.

I would love to know how this progresses for you.

Good luck

3. etaymarkman

etaymarkman

In an answer, yes, because it helps in a realistic way of how locos apply tractive effort to the rail and assists sound(especially in steam engines)

I am thinking on using mesh colliders instead of wheel colliders but I wonder how can you have realistic frictions curves like those of wheel colliders(necessary for post 1990 diesels) and how you can apply "brake torque" to a mesh

Boomer_McBooms likes this.