Search Unity

RageSpline - Create smooth 2D graphics inside Unity Editor - RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Skyrise

Skyrise

Spot on...
    The real problem on iOS is the fillrate (so use a lot of judgement on big transparent object overlapping) and instantiating/destroying object. With properly optimized code and an eye on the fillrate you can push a lot of object/vertex around, with processing power to spare for physics and Update() on a lot of objects.

I'm aiming for 60fps, but if you drop to 30 you can move a lot more. ;)

2. Dylan Fitterer

Dylan Fitterer

3. keely

keely

Now here's something I didn't expect :)

Are you calling RefreshMesh() for every shape per every frame?

4. Dylan Fitterer

Dylan Fitterer

Just for one of them. The rest are mesh copies rendered with Graphics.DrawMesh()

5. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Dylan, FYI does not work for me in windows Firefox or IE8 - Works fine on the Mac both Safari 5 and Firefox 4

iByte

6. prime31

prime31

@keely, I found a couple bugs where some floats are getting set to NaN causing the texture and gradient tools to not function. The quick fix was to just expose them in the inspector but the proper fix (I believe but haven't gone through the source enough to be certain yet) is to initialize the instance variables.

7. keely

keely

Thanks!

8. oem

oem

This is seriously cool, keep up the great work. I will have to get my hands on this at some point!

9. outtoplay

outtoplay

What I really like about RageSpline and the folks using it is the openness and helpful back and forth with Keely. From the guys at Prime31 to everyone else who have really taken a shine to this extension and lend a helping hand with code fixes , ideas observations and demos of what they are doing. This is what makes an extension/product really awesome.

B.

10. prime31

prime31

hey @keely, I have one more suggestion for the update that will fit right in if you are planning on doing mesh colliders: the ability to extrude a RageSpline making a fully 3D object. That would be superb. I might even buy a second copy to keep on my nightstand if that feature makes in in :)

11. keely

keely

Part of me likes this feature, but part of me is "scared".

I could do this, but it's not as simple as copy-pasting the meshcollider part. That's still no problem, but...

...So you have a 3D extrusion. Does that really take you anywhere? You are going to need texturing for the newly born polys, more control over the 3D mesh, etc, etc. I think this is what 3d modellers are for.

If you can make good arguments how this would benefit 2D developers, then ofc I'm willing to reconsider.

12. keely

keely

Preview of the new inspector. Hope you like it :)

13. keely

keely

I don't know if people use it anymore 2011, but since I'm always on IRC (Internet Relay Chat), I decided that I could set up a #ragespline channel (IRCNet), just to see what happens.

If people start gathering enough, you could get some live support from the channel. Or maybe just say hi.

If you haven't used irc, the easiest way is the web clients. If I'm not home, I usually use this:

http://webchat.xs4all.nl/
    Irc Network: IRCNet
    Nickname: <anything that isn't taken>
    Chat channel: other -> #ragespline

14. alex.loren

alex.loren

The look of the new inspector is absolutely amazing, great job on the re-design Keely!

15. p6r

p6r

Yes, much better ! I like this new inspector...

6R

16. keely

keely

I also set up the #ragespline at freenode, since that's where the official #unity3d seems to be too.

17. prime31

prime31

@keely, good points on the extrusion. My thoughts were for getting a Rolando kind of 2.5D look. An extrusion would be a super fast, fully in Unity way to rapidly iterate level designs. The new inspector is a vast improvement! Well done!

18. keely

keely

Yeah I guess you're right. People wan't to do the 2.5D stuff because that's one of the strengths of Unity as 2D platform.

I wonder what would be the best way to handle all the new stuff that comes with it, without bloating the current UI too much.

19. keely

keely

Code (csharp):
    1. // RageSpline API
    2.     public Vector3 GetNormal(float splinePosition)
    3.     public Vector3 GetNormal(int index)
    4.     public void SetOutControlPosition(int index, Vector3 position)
    5.     public void SetOutControlPositionPointSpace(int index, Vector3 position)
    6.     public void SetOutControlPositionWorldSpace(int index, Vector3 position)
    7.     public void SetInControlPosition(int index, Vector3 position)
    8.     public void SetInControlPositionPointSpace(int index, Vector3 position)
    9.     public void SetInControlPositionWorldSpace(int index, Vector3 position)
    10.     public Vector3 GetOutControlPosition(int index)
    11.     public Vector3 GetInControlPosition(int index)
    12.     public Vector3 GetOutControlPositionPointSpace(int index)
    13.     public Vector3 GetInControlPositionPointSpace(int index)
    14.     public Vector3 GetOutControlPositionWorldSpace(int index)
    15.     public Vector3 GetInControlPositionWorldSpace(int index)
    16.     public void SetPosition(int index, Vector3 position)
    17.     public void SetPositionWorldSpace(int index, Vector3 position)
    18.     public Vector3 GetPosition(int index)
    19.     public int GetPointCount()
    20.     public Vector3 GetPositionWorldSpace(int index)
    21.     public Vector3 GetPosition(float splinePosition)
    22.     public Vector3 GetPositionWorldSpace(float splinePosition)
    23.     public Vector3 GetMiddle()
    24.     public Rect GetBounds()
    25.     public float GetNearestSplinePosition(Vector3 position)
    26.     public Vector3 GetNearestPosition(Vector3 position)
    27.     public int AddPoint(float splinePosition)
    28.     public void DelPoint(int index)
    29.     public bool GetNatural(int index)
    30.     public void SetNatural(int index, bool natural)
    31.     public float GetOutlineWidth(float splinePosition)
    32.     public float GetOutlineWidth(int index)
    33.     public float GetOutlineWidthMultiplier(int index)
    34.     public void SetOutlineWidthMultiplier(int index, float width)
    36.     // get/set
    37.     public void SetOutline(Outline outline)
    38.     public Outline GetOutline()
    39.     public void SetOutlineColor(Color color)
    40.     public Color GetOutlineColor()
    41.     public void SetFill(Fill fill)
    42.     public Fill GetFill()
    43.     public void SetFillColor1(Color color)
    44.     public Color GetFillColor1()
    45.     public void SetFillColor2(Color color)
    46.     public Color GetFillColor2()
    47.     public void SetTexturing1(UVMapping texturing)
    48.     public UVMapping GetTexturing1()
    49.     public void SetTexturing2(UVMapping texturing)
    50.     public UVMapping GetTexturing2()
    51.     public void SetGradientOffset(Vector2 offset)
    52.     public Vector2 GetGradientOffset()
    53.     public void SetGradientAngle(float angle)
    54.     public float GetGradientAngle()
    55.     public void SetGradientScale(float scale)
    56.     public float GetGradientScale()
    57.     public void SetTextureOffset(Vector2 offset)
    58.     public Vector2 GetTextureOffset()
    59.     public void SetTextureAngle(float angle)
    60.     public float GetTextureAngle()
    61.     public void SetTextureScale(float scale)
    62.     public float GetTextureScale()
    63.     public void SetEmboss(Emboss emboss)
    64.     public Emboss GetEmboss()
    65.     public void SetEmbossColor1(Color color)
    66.     public Color GetEmbossColor1()
    67.     public void SetEmbossColor2(Color color)
    68.     public Color GetEmbossColor2()
    69.     public void SetEmbossAngle(float angle)
    70.     public float GetEmbossAngle()
    71.     public void SetEmbossOffset(float offset)
    72.     public float GetEmbossOffset()
    73.     public void SetEmbossSize(float size)
    74.     public float GetEmbossSize()
    75.     public void SetEmbossSmoothness(float smoothness)
    76.     public float GetEmbossSmoothness()
    77.     public void SetPhysics(Physics physics)
    78.     public Physics GetPhysics()
    79.     public void SetCreatePhysicsInEditor(bool createInEditor)
    80.     public bool GetCreatePhysicsInEditor()
    81.     public void SetPhysicsMaterial(PhysicMaterial physicsMaterial)
    82.     public PhysicMaterial GetPhysicsMaterial()
    83.     public void SetVertexCount(int count)
    84.     public int GetVertexCount()
    85.     public void SetPhysicsColliderCount(int count)
    86.     public int GetPhysicsColliderCount()
    87.     public void SetPhysicsNormalDepth(float depth)
    88.     public float GetPhysicsNormalDepth()
    89.     public void SetPhysicsZDepth(float depth)
    90.     public float GetPhysicsZDepth()
    91.     public void SetAntialiasingWidth(float width)
    92.     public float GetAntialiasingWidth()
    93.     public void SetOutlineWidth(float width)
    94.     public float GetOutlineWidth()
    95.     public void SetOutlineTexturingScale(float scale)
    96.     public float GetOutlineTexturingScale()
    List of all the functions in the RageSpline API (so far). I need more coffee.

20. prime31

prime31

To keep the UI clean you can always make a subclass (and associated editor subclass) so that all the options are only there for those that want them. You can also make collapseble sections in the inspector which can be used for grouping and hiding those that the user doesn't need to be using at the moment.

21. Brady

Brady

Keely, I totally sympathize with your situation, believe me. ;) While I think fully 3D pieces would be cool since you could put a little perspective on your camera and have a cool 2.5D feel, I can totally relate to how this sort of seemingly small addition actually not only greatly increases the potential complexity of the UI, but also raises a whole new set of considerations and constraints for future development. It is things like this where you can easily find yourself going down one road, only to find that having done so, you've greatly complicated, or completely closed off other roads since you now are limited to only making changes that won't "break" or frustrate the new functionality.

If you can think of a good, flexible way to implement this without complicating things for you, the middleware developer, I think it would be awesome. But if not, take it from me, I think your original guiding philosophy that the tool should do something very specific is a good one and will keep the product lean and good at what it does. I've learned that if it isn't good for the middleware dev (i.e. you), it ultimately isn't good for the users either in the long-run.

Keep up the great work!

22. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Wow, making my way back to Unity after just starting out with it (didn't want to go away but that's life :)) and am finding lots of create stuff around. As soon as i get my access to the asset store sorted I'll have to buy RageSpline. Cool Stuff!

23. keely

keely

Thanks, great stuff.

Yes the third wheel (dimension in this case) often tends to ruin a great relationship doesn't it.

And this isn't just middleware, but I think applies to all gamedev efforts. 3D games take exponentially more time to make than 2D games. Code, assets, design, everything becomes messy. Few years ago, I actually made a conscious decision to make only 2D games, after burning a full year doing my own 3D engine. It was for fun and school credits, but afterwards I felt I didn't really get anywhere. Nowadays when I see all those small teams trying to do 3D games (which most of them look awful) using some c++ spaghetti, I just cry a little inside.

And yes. You - the middleware developer - have to make the tough calls. It seemingly easy to add features one by one and lose the big picture. One single feature always feels like a walk in a park, when you're all hyped up and look at it in naive vacuum.

But when all those features need to come together as solid workflow, it's a whole different story. We are not talking about some accounting software where the user want's a new button to calculate some well-defined sum out of well-defined data. We are talking about making a tool for INNOVATION, games that nobody has ever even considered making yet, and all the unexpected scenarios with that. Just to repeat my mantra: Simple tools for creating complex games.

Obv this is not a rant for prime31 to suggest a feature and he knows it too. All feedback is good. I just have to make the calls. And btw I haven't decided what to do with this one yet.

24. prime31

prime31

Amen to that. If it doesn't fit into the flow by all means say no. That's my rhyme for the day.

25. Brady

Brady

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to cast aspersions on Prime31's suggestion. I actually think that feature would be really awesome. But I just wanted to lend my moral support, as a fellow middleware dev (as well as customer of yours), to whatever decision you make.

26. prime31

prime31

@Brady, this is our chance to be pushy customers asking for all kinds of crazy stuff that makes no sense. Keely works for us now ;) we should send him some crazy support emails too just to keep him on his toes :) (in case it wasn't clear I am totally bring sarcastic)

27. keely

keely

LoL. Reminds me of this one quote I picked up from Twitter:

28. Zavior

Zavior

Is there an easy way to create and manipulate multiple points at a time? For instance if I want to move a whole side of a square?

29. keely

keely

Not supported atm.

30. Acumen

Acumen

Alright, finally purchased. Squeezed every penny out of my pocket :eek:
    Now it's in Unity and I don't understand a thing. Just wanted to prepare you on a massive amount of noobish questions :D

31. keely

keely

I'm not setting any dates, but my goal is to give something to the beta-testers by the end of the month.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  32. keely

keely

I just bought ragespline.com. I'm going to launch the site... well someday.

33. Acumen

Acumen

K, first of all, I actually managed to get this thing going.
    Still have no idea how to start the ragecar example, but I can navigate and create meshes.

Since no FAQ is set up so far, and I forgot what I read on these 15 pages.
    I was wondering. Is it possible to do a similar "copy style" action like Photoshop or similar programs do ?
    I encountered this "feature request" when I was working on some environment layers and wanted to have a similar emboss effect going, and doing it by hand was kinda tedious.

Basically I'd like being able to adjust one ragespline-element, add a nice emboss effect (strength, color,..) and then copy these settings to another element.

The textured blob looks mighty handful, btw !

34. prime31

prime31

@Acumen, it's pretty simple to get things going with RageSpline. For RageCar, all you need to do is modify the Physics.gravity setting to the values shown in the scene and press play. That's it.

If @keely ever gets off his butt and releases the next update I will make a RageSpline editor extension for copying styles as long as he includes some of my requested features (remember @keely, we all own a little piece of you now) :)

35. keely

keely

It's going to be called RageSplineMaterial and you can have shapes all over the place referencing this one material where you do the changes centralized. This is like copy-pasting the style but with steroids.

I'll try to make the same functionality that prefabs have with revert/apply, so you can make local changes.

The probability of this feature being on the next update is very high. I haven't worked out all the quirks yet.

36. Acumen

Acumen

K, managed to test it :)
    Unity camera system is just what I'm used to.

Nice to see this material feature gets added. Just played around with it some more, lately. Holding me off from real work ;)
    Hope it's not only "one" material but can be used for several different ones.

Is it correct that the only way to use a material on a ragespline is the "texturedblob"-Object ?
    Cause I'm trying some techniques and I want them to be rather square/rectanglish and not blobby and rotated in a weird way to start from.

Is it possible to start with a user-created spline, like in other spline programs ?
    I'm not sure if I saw that feature in one of the introduction videos, since they spin so fast. Can't wait for the videos from your buddy

Is it fine to use other shaders than the ones you deliver ?
    Since I'm in need for an unlit version and the ones you included seem to have some shadow casting

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  37. keely

keely

You can have as many materials as you like. I'm actually thinking about calling them RageSplineStyle since that's the word you used and I don't want people to mix them with Unitys Materials.

Would I be wrong to guess that you are also very new to Unity and not just RageSpline? I'm not asking to be rude, but I would explain things very differently to someone who already knows his way around Unity. This sentence sort of implies that you might be new to both. I can give you some answer to this, but first I need to know where you stand.

If you mean that you start drawing from the blank, then this is not supported. The (only) current workflow is to take a object (prefab or something you made yourself) and adjust/add points.

It's fine to use others if they work, but I can't guarantee that they will work now or in the future. I would recommend using my shaders.

As far as I know, they don't have any lighting or shadows, so they should be unlit. If you have some kind of checkbox with the material about shadows, it doesn't necessarily mean that the shader actually does it.

38. Acumen

Acumen

Yeh, I'm not really used to Unity. Only doing basic import/export stuff. I purchased because I could see the advantage of level building in Unity with this toolset, so basically your tools made me take the plunge and actually confront the Unity universum :)

What I meant was that I can't seem to put a texture on a rectangle or circle prefab. But I think I managed to put a texture on something else than a textured_blob, indeed.
    Yet it still is applied in a rotated way and in no way close to being aligned straight/horizontally. Was it just not designed to use actual game textures like this yet, but more along the lines of having overlaying seamless tiled textures ?
    Basically I'm having a floor texture, that tiles horizontally, with the upper half being a solid color. So I want the texture to repeat along that spline horizontally and make a nice upper edge with bumps, cracks and whatnot. Sure I can hack it together so it's close to being horizontal, yet it could always be more precise in the end.

Do you plan on adding such a feature to put some points on there and have a closed spline like that ?
    I mean I guess it's just a tiny addition from a user point of view - not totally necessary, when you grab yourself a round of prefabs.

Sorry again to be annoying, I know I'm good at that with my amateurish question :/

39. prime31

prime31

@Acumen, you can set the details of the texture tiling using the tools already in RageSpline. The only way you can put a texture onto a prefab or any other RageSpline object is if you use a material that supports it. Sounds like you may want to get familiar with the basics of the way Unity works before plunging too deep into anything else. There is a checkbox in the inspector to show the texture tools. You can set the scale and orientation. What you are trying to do isn't possible though. From the sounds of it, you need multiple UV sets. There is no way outside of direct UV manipulation to tile only in one direction.

40. Acumen

Acumen

Just saw it. Got everything covered now :)
    It tiles nicely horizontally, given that I transform the spline accordingly.

I tend to ask too many questions, but kinda think maybe these could lead into a possible FAQ for normal artsyfartsy users of this product, just getting started. Obviously within a couple of hours these questions could have been answered by myself.
    Still I think if something is supposed to be attractive as an alternative to some drawing programs, the entry should be made as smooth as possible and it might be interesting to know what kind of stuff people need to know on first touch with the program. Maybe having waited for these videos that are in production, I wouldn't have needed to ask these questions right away :)

Thanks for your continuous and patient support, both of you guys !

41. keely

keely

Just woke up. Seems like you got stuff covered so I will leave the original questions as is.

The way you build shapes should be better and quicker. Ofc I can't compete with Illustrator and it's really not something I even try to do, but surely there's improvements to be made like multi-selecting points etc.

42. Acumen

Acumen

Since others have done so, as well, I thought I'd chime in and post a little something.
    Been just mocking around with the tool. And it's quite brilliant as many have said, for quick prototyping.
    Basically I used a simple tiling texture for the ground (obviously inspired by angrybirds) and modified a rectangle prefab for this, background is made out of prefabs too, only the bird is made in another program so far.
    Gotta say, I'm loving this :)
    Now I can mock up sooo many future projects with the help of this tool. It's brilliant :D
    Also made me learn so much about actual Unity usage - can't thank you enough for forcing me to dive into this mighty toolset. Learned how to hide stuff, move camera and whatnot. Fabulous !
    It's kinda annoying in some places from a ease-of-use standpoint - especially the texture application could be a bit more handy, imo. Bit tricky to rotate/have it in place (almost) perfectly.
    Really looking forward to some updates !

43. keely

keely

You're screenshot just oozes awesomeness! What kind of gameplay are you planning?

44. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hey Keely, I've talked to a fellow coder and he hinted that we could take over the SVG import in a single free saturday. Hopefully I'll get some time to study your code in the mean time, but I imagine it'd be best to wait for the next version's API enhancements, what do you think?

45. Acumen

Acumen

thanks keely :)
    Nothing too intriguing. Just stuff falling from the sky and bird has either to collect or to avoid.

46. keely

keely

Great news! I was hoping for ppl to take the challenge.

There wont be huge changes in the inner workings which means that porting to API shouldn't be hard, but if I were you I'd still wait for it. Doing it without API is going to be pain for you with figuring out all my crapcode in there. Trust me.

I put you on the list of beta-testers so that you can hopefully get something to work on until the end of the month (?)

47. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Oh, I do :) From what you say it shouldn't take long anyways. For the record, our idea is to initially just parse the point coordinates straight and then make the complete bezier conversion. We might go straight to the second option if converting the java code we've found doesn't take too hard to convert to RageSpline data (that's exactly why I asked about the API).

Sounds great, thanks!

48. ibyte

ibyte

Hey Maddox, I spent a bit of time (two weeks ago) looking for an existing c# sharp library that could be used as a SVG parsing front end for RageSpline.

Each one of these first 3 were based successively on each other
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/svgpad.aspx
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/SvgPaint.aspx
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/graphics/SVGArtiste.aspx

I used SVGLib from the first example to build a rudimentary translator but then got on a tangent looking at this next package listed below and the one after it

This next one is the most complete I have found but has issues with VSC#2010 so I cannot get it to open the sample files.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/SharpVectors.aspx

There is also SVG to texture library in the Unity wiki posted by a MrJoy ( http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=SVG). It could be adapted to support RageSpline in addition to creating textures. The package from gitHub works for all but one supplied example but failed to import the svg sample I was working from. I think it doesn't support relative datasets as it seems to go into a tailspin when you ask it to parse a file containing data like that. I did try to follow up with MrJoy in a few pm's but have not heard back.

Personally I think that using inkscape SVG would probably be a good bench mark for file compatibility.

iByte

49. LeshaVH

LeshaVH

As I see lots of geometry is generated and lots of physics object - I really care about actual performance on iOS/Android devices...
    The idea is brilliant - I look into SVG and see no problems to integrate SVG reader into your plug-in...
    Please, do it! :)

50. keely

keely

Here is some information.