Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RageSpline - Create smooth 2D graphics inside Unity Editor - RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie

I have created a project using RageSpline with several nice images. A few scenes. I would like to use in another project. I have tried exporting. Does not get everything. Can this be accomplished?

2. helsinki

helsinki

Hi
    I've gotten my copy of Ragesplines. So far its been awesome.

I have a question regarding outlines. When I pick 'Free', is there a way whereby I can choose which part of the outline that will be cut?

3. Mikie

Mikie

Keely, don't see the ragecar example in RageSpline. Too busy to answer my question above?

4. keely

keely

Sorry to say there isn't :(

5. keely

keely

RageCar was RageSpline v1.0 example. I tried to make it awesome for the v1.1 but I got so frustrated with the wheel colliders that I just made another game (Uphill Rage).

And yes I'm really busy now so some delay in replying everything.

Exporting should move everything as far as I know. What are you doing exactly and what is missing when you export?

6. Mikie

Mikie

Yes, I found UphillRage. Thanks. I did get the export to work. Hope you are getting rich with a day job.

7. robin_notts

robin_notts

Keely - I'm sure I saw an image on this thread showing a version of a Ragespline landscape where the fill textures uv mapping followed the height of the terrain. Did I just dream it? And if not, what happened to that feature?

8. laserlars

laserlars

Bought this a couple of days ago, it´s awesome :)
    Having some trouble creating a 2D car though. It´s just a box with 2 circles as wheels. I´ve set up rigidbodys and hingejoint, but the wheels do not spin at all. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to create a primitive 2d car ? Don´t want to use wheelcolliders as I am focusing on iOS.
    Thanks.

Edit: Nvm. Posting a problem seems to activate my own brain in most cases :p

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  9. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Thoso two sentences completely fail to match :)

There's a fill type called 'landscape' if that's what you mean, and you have to change the texturing type to 'fill' to be able to use the RageSplineTextured shader + assign a texture. I've never really used it, tbh. GL!

10. keely

keely

I had a WIP feature like this, but unfortunately never shipped ;(

11. jeffweber

jeffweber

I simulate this effect using a line spline for the surface with uv mapping and normal rage spline underneath. A bit more work because you are dealing with two separate rage splines, but it gets the job done. you will need to make the line pretty thick.

12. nharde20

nharde20

Is there a way to purchase all 3 tools (RageSpline, RageTools, and RageToolsPro) all at once instead of having to purchase one-by-one? Also, is it necessary for me to have Unity Pro or can I just have Unity 3.5.3 free in order to utilize any of the add-ons?

13. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Currently not, but that's something we've talked about in the past. Details are still getting in the way, but who knows? :)

All three plugins are fully compatible with Unity Free. Not sure I've mentioned it here, but RageTools and RageTools Pro are 40% and 50% off in this month's Asset Store Madness sale ;)

On the RageSpline-specific news front, this week we've added smart-add-point functionality to RageSpline (add point and keep curvature) and are working on a smart-remove function as well, which should make editing RageSpline shapes an order of magnitude easier! Not to mention built-in Farseer (Box2D) integration, you'll be able to create 2D collision shapes directly from your RageSpline points or generated vertices. There's also this amazing new feature that will completely change the way you think about RageSplines and how to use them in your game, but words won't make it justice so I'll cook up a webplayer demo or video to show it in full glory next week ;)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. aliakbo

aliakbo

Hey,

Is it possible to draw 2D lines dynamically in game using RageSpline?

15. jeffweber

jeffweber

FEATURE REQUEST:

Any chance you could add a boolean property and corresponding logic that would allow you to lock the physics split count to the vertex count? For most of my stuff, I set them the same otherwise the collision doesn't quite match the visual. I could write a component that would do this using the exposed API, but seems like it'd be useful for others as well.

-Jeff

16. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Yes Aliakbo, next version has a new auto-update feature that makes this quite trivial to pull off, but it will still require some (simple) coding. I can provide some sample code if you need it.

Awesome point Jeff, and a very simple thing to set up. I'll make it happen :)

17. aliakbo

aliakbo

Great, I would appreciate the code.

18. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Purchased. This tool is awesome. Wish there were some procedural examples, although the challenge is half the fun I guess.

19. Sarus

Sarus

Three quick questions:

Is farseer physics supported in RageSpline (or any of the other RageXX tools)? I thought I saw it mentioned but wasn't sure if it's in yet.

What do people typically do for particle effects? I assume there is no issue with using the Unity Shuriken system on top of RageSpline? Is that a correct assumption?

I thought I read something about Sprite support for texturing your vectors. Is that actual possible with RageSpline (with the appropriate addons?)

Thanks!

20. Brady

Brady

Quick question about an issue:

I'm using box colliders and have the "Physics normal depth" set to 2 and an outline width of 1. But every time I change something in the inspector, which appears to refresh the Ragespline object, the colliders (and sometimes the outline too) seem to oscillate back and forth between being "within" the Ragespline object, and "outside" it. See the attached screenshots. This happens randomly, so sometimes when I play, the colliders are "outside" the object, and other times "inside". Obviously, this causes major problems. Am I doing something wrong, perhaps?

Attached Files:

21. Knertified

Knertified

I just purchased RageSpline and RageTools.

I'm running into a bit of trouble trying to integrate with NGUI. As a test I created a gameobject, added the Svg In script and imported the mushroom. I then added this to an NGUI panel which resizes it to fit it's weird camera scale. Hitting play, I see the mushroom and it looks as expected. However, after stopping play, the object seems to explode into a million lines. I'm not sure why. This can be done on any NGUI UI.

Before:
    $Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 4.37.25 PM.png

After:
    $Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 4.37.56 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  22. jeffweber

jeffweber

I see this often. It's your Anti-Aliasing width getting messed up. Might try throwing a PivotTool component on it and re-normalize the scale.

As you can tell, I don't have a specific fix, just know what things you might want to take a look at.

-Jeff

23. armen

armen

Hi All.
    Thanks for the such a great tool.
    Im using ragespline as dynamic blob based on your simple runtime editor code.
    I have a simple ball on top of it and when i mouse drag to blob( ragespline), it changes the shape and ball reacts to physics.
    The problem is that when i drag fast, ball goes inside the blob.
    Any idea how i can improve the physics or maybe have to manually check the intersection of ball ragespline? if so, how?

thanks again.

24. Knertified

Knertified

Thanks Jeff. You are correct. Once I changed the "AA Width" value which was set to 1 to 0.01, my scale, I didn't see any weirdness.

25. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Thanks a lot KHopcraft! There's a runtime editor example in the package, it might help since that's basically what you need to create objects procedurally - to know how to pass the coordinates of the new points and add them to your RageSpline :)

Hi Sarus. Nice questions which should serve for many, glad you made them. An "enhanced" Farseer comes included in the next package's release and will be made public separately from RageSpline ofc, so it's truly everyone's gain. RageSpline 1.5 is currently on beta and no major bugs have been found by our testers.

That's really up to the developer, personally I don't see a problem using bitmap particle solutions since they generally use soft art and are rarely if ever still on screen. I've seen some developers talking about Shuriken being too slow for mobile, but I haven't tested it myself. I remember I've asked about not being able to add true custom meshes as Shuriken's "mesh" particle type, and its lead dev told me you can simply query the particle positions (exposed in its API) and assign that position data to the RageSpline-instantiated game objects, which makes perfect sense to me.

Two different things here. First, RageSpline has always supported bitmap-texturing the fill areas of your vector shapes. Next RageTools Pro release will add a highly awaited component called "RageSprite" (we've been working on it the whole weekend in fact, almost there) which allows you to create frame-switching animations just like you can do with any of the existing bitmap sprite solutions, but with vectors and creating real Unity animation clips - which are super-easy to manage using any custom of existing solution like Playmaker, uScript, etc.

Hi Brady, great to have you here. So, this is weird but it seems like you have shapes with a wrong point winding order, did you create this shape with RageSpline alone or did you bring in SVG art using RageTools' SVG-In?

Hi Knertified. I agree with Jeff's suggestion, and this is probably caused by an issue with very small sizes. I've shown something similar to Keely once (he was already a Unity dev) and he said it was probably an internal precision bug, so he's thrown an internal bug report. Hopefully it's fixed in Unity 4, meanwhile try using pivotools' 'Freeze scale and rotation' as Jeff suggested.

Hi Armen. This is a very typical (and terrible, imo) problem with Physx itself, on your end all you can do is:
    1) Make sure the RageSpline collider size has sufficient z depth (some it's added by default, tweak settings if needed)
    2) Make sure object's are really colliding, check the side view. It's too easy to forget that Unity is 3D when you'r working with 2D graphics :)
    3) In the collider settings, lock your object's movement along Z so it never "slips behind" the desired Z axis after some collision
    3) Lower the editor's physics update timing. With more frequent physx updates it's less likely that a fast moving object collision won't be tracked. Be aware that this will slow down the performance especially for mobile devices.
    or... 4) Wait a bit for RageSpline 1.5's built-in Farseer link. Farseer physics collision is simply awesome, I very seldon see any interpenetration going. And automatically creating a Farseer collider from any concave or convex RageSpline shape instantly, with a simple switch of a dropdown box is an infallible receipt for a smile when you first see it in action ;)

PS.: Guys, really sorry about the long answer delay, there's something wrong with my thread report settings so I'm basically getting no updates that there's a new question here. For any urgent problems or questions please contact me through contact@freakow.com

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  26. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I actually found that when I was nearly done making one. Your apis were easy enough to make something with so all is well. Thanks :D

27. pjezek

pjezek

I am currently doing a small project with RageSpline and it's add ons. As I am working with the beta of Unity I am not sure how I should report issues which comes along. (Currently only animating opacity of splines).

My general Questions right now are:
    - Should I first try to reproduce same issues in regular version of Unity before reporting?
    - Is RageSpline already compatible fully with the beta? (Did not found a statement about this.)
    - Can I report issues from beta which are working in regular version?
    - I guess this is the right place to report, isn't it ;)

I will try over the weekend all issues with regular version so I know if it is beta related and create a small unity project to reproduce them.

Thanks in advance.
    Patrick

28. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi pjezek. I already got a bunch, if it's not a hassle please send me your list at contact [at] freakow.com. To sum it up, the "compatibility issue" is simply that some Unity commands that we use became deprecated in 4.0 - but the new commands aren't available yet in 3.5. So while 4 doesn't become official we can't send a new version, and it isn't practical to provide a "4.0 beta branch" at this moment when we're (painstakingly) wrapping up new releases for all plugins. No worries though, as soon as 4.0 gets live we start updating whatever's needed, from what we've got reported so far changes are minimal.

Thanks for your help pjezek!

29. Monocle

Monocle

Hi.
    I have a pretty simple question, but I could not solve it.
    Maybe you guys help me.
    For instance i have a "landscape" with 2 points,
    and what I need to do is add points equidistant between these two, how many i want.
    the main condition that I could manipulate them the code subsequently.
    how best to implement, may be through the array?
    I will be very grateful for any help.

30. Lightstorm

Lightstorm

Hi,

i have a question. Can I change fill color in game with a script?

31. DavidC02

DavidC02

Yeah, just use SetFillColor1 or SetFillColor2. Check out the documentation http://ragespline.com/docs-api/

32. Lightstorm

Lightstorm

Thanks, is working :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  33. darg88

darg88

Hi Keely, im using rage spline for a game im developing, but i've a serius problem with the imported svg files.

At the beginning everything is ok, but when i stop the execution of the game, the model... well, explodes, I really don't know why, here is a pick of it. i used the model of the demo vilas_character.svg

thanks!

34. reddotgames

reddotgames

After updating to newest version my project gets fatal error.
    I deleted LIBRARY directory, reimport all again and now error appears :
    Bad news is that by updating to newest version I deleted old working one :(

35. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

hi, is the latest version or Ragespline compatible with Unity 4?

36. Shaka

Shaka

Hello!
    I'm using ragespline (landscape) to create levels for a mobile game, and I'm curious to how spline meshes are handled. Does the landscape spline consist of one mesh or is it split up depending on size? The reason I'm asking is that my levels are fairly large and I was wondering what the best approach is to create them. Should I create one big spline or several smaller, and is it even feasible to use landscape splines for ginourmous levels?

37. prime31

prime31

In case anyone needs the functionality here is a small snippet of code that lets you "harden" (I cant remember the technical name for the process so I call it harden) any selected points. I needed this functionality so I imagine someone else out there will find it handy. This is a quick and easy way to get hard edges on your splines without having to mess with the handles and manually line them up. A picture explains this much better so here is an image showing 4 points before and after hardening:

Maddux, if you find this to be a useful feature feel free to use the code as you wish and add it to the RageSpline class directly.

Put this in a file called RageSplineExtensions.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public static class RageSplineExtensions
    2. {
    3.     public static void hardenPoint( this RageSpline rageSpline, int point )
    4.     {
    5.         // set the point to natural if it is not
    6.         if( rageSpline.GetNatural( point ) )
    7.             rageSpline.SetNatural( point, false );
    9.         // set the control points to a 90 degree variant
    10.         var splinePoint = rageSpline.spline.GetRageSplinePoint( point );
    11.         var prevPoint = rageSpline.spline.GetRageSplinePoint( point - 1 );
    12.         var nextPoint = rageSpline.spline.GetRageSplinePoint( point + 1 );
    14.         // calculate the magnitude of the point so we can match it when we modify it
    15.         var inMagnitude = splinePoint.inCtrl.magnitude;
    16.         var outMagnitude = splinePoint.outCtrl.magnitude;
    18.         var prevVector = ( prevPoint.point - splinePoint.point ).normalized;
    19.         var nextVector = ( nextPoint.point - splinePoint.point ).normalized;
    21.         splinePoint.inCtrl = prevVector * inMagnitude;
    22.         splinePoint.outCtrl = nextVector * outMagnitude;
    23.     }
    24. }

Put this in any file that resides in the Editor folder. The code below includes a keybinding to command-G for easy access.
    Code (csharp):
    1. [UnityEditor.MenuItem( "Harden Point... %g", false )]
    2.     static void extractMesh()
    3.     {
    4.         var objs = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll( typeof( RageSplineEditor ) );
    5.         if( objs.Length == 0 )
    6.             return;
    8.         RageSplineEditor instance = null;
    9.         foreach( RageSplineEditor e in objs )
    10.         {
    11.             if( e.selectedControlPoints.Count > 0 )
    12.             {
    13.                 instance = e;
    14.                 break;
    15.             }
    16.         }
    18.         if( instance == null )
    19.             return;
    21.         var rageSpline = instance.target as RageSpline;
    22.         for( int i = 0; i < instance.selectedControlPoints.Count; i++ )
    23.         {
    24.             rageSpline.hardenPoint( instance.selectedControlPoints[i] );
    25.         }
    27.         rageSpline.RefreshMeshInEditor( true, true, true );
    29.         GUI.changed = true;
    30.         EditorUtility.SetDirty( instance.target );
    31.     }

38. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Darg, sorry for not seeing your post beforehad, this is an old thread which for whatever reason I don't get updates - even if I'm subscribed to it. I think I have replied your support request through e-mail (that's a Ragetools question btw), not sure if that was you but it was an identical question. Basically if you use RageGroup on your shapes (it's auto-attached with some components, like Pivotools) you must remember to click "Update" after making adjustments with 'tweak' and 'multiplier' enabled. If that's not what's happening to you, please send me a .unitypackage (to contact [at] freakow.com) and I'll check out what's the problem.

Yes, since RageSpline 1.5 it's compatible with Unity 4. The Asset Store has failed updating it for about a month now, with no plausible explanation, so 3.5 users are getting the error described by reddotgames. To solve the issue, we have provided an external patch which you can get from the latest news entry in the ragespline.com page.

Shaka, for these cases the best option is to always split up your scenery. This way Unity's dynamic culling will keep the amount of polygon data to be managed at once to the lowest. The feature is Unity-Pro only, but there are Unity-Free compatible solutions available in the Asset Store, like this new one: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/166748-InstantOC-dynamic-occlusion-culling-LOD

Thanks for the contribution prime31. BTW, I didn't keep on our twitter discussion due to being out of town and rushing to get things done, but now it's a good time since it might answers others questions. I've had a similar chat with Jeff Weber, he's Farseer's original creator, and he also shares your opinion that Farseer shouldn't have been added to RageSpline. So let me explain. There are two main factors who led us to this decision:

1 - There's no good way to add dependencies on libraries and methods not currently in the project. Having external executables that switch the classes is an option, but a bad one imo.

2 - We'll use the advanced tesselation functionalities of the Farseer library, it's truly essential for the future of the product due to some features that we won't comment just yet. We could have split the triangulators from the package but haven't seen much of a point. Farseer performance is slower than PhysX, indeed. PhysX is a native engine so that's to be expected, still there are many areas where Farseer vastly exceeds PhysX - and not everyone deploys for mobile, or have huge physics interaction going on at once, preferring the quality of the collisions. In any case, it's the user choice, as it should be.

Last but not least, as far as I know the compiler is smart enough to not compile or add code which isn't referenced in the scene, so it's a basic case of "don't want it, don't use it". The mere presence of that folder shouldn't offend anyone :)

Anyways, I still consider "terrible" a terrible word when directed at a work that cost months of sweat from three guys and resulted in one of the most feature-packed RageSpline releases ever, but let's leave that in the past. Once again, thanks for your contribution - it looks quite useful and I'll definitely consider it for a future release.

39. prime31

prime31

@maddox, if you really think Farseer absolutely has to be in the package why not do it in a way that is non-intrusive: include the Farseer library as a DLL and only reference the DLL using reflection. By doing it that way us folks who want to gut it and never see it again can do so and those that want to use it can.

40. mu-kow

mu-kow

Just purchased the suite. Its quite impressive.

I'm going to use the shapes in my own soft body physics engine so, I would really appreciate if you could give me a bit of direction on where to pull the vertices for the collider for the shape.

Also, which ones to modify for the meshes that i deform.

I dont mind editing source code if i have to, ill just comment where i edited.

Thanks in advance!

41. anadin

anadin

@maddox, few of things I am struggling with...

1. RageSprite is awesome and came at just the right time but... 1. Any chance of a tool to create a series of GO's with the SVGIN automatically on all of the frames - it is pretty tedious adding them one at a time..

2. I need t to use it with NGUI and this brings with it the scale issues already noted in this thread, I tried to use EdgeTune but it seems that non of the components (RageGroup, EdgeTune etc.) like the fact that the actual spline shapes are disabled in the RageSprite. so what I find is that I have one frame that is good and the rest all 'blow up' from the anti-aliasing. So far the only solution I have found is to go and re-create all the frames by hand setting the AA to 0.005 (see no.1)

3. I can't change the AA on a SVG in GO. if I change the number and hit import, I get duplicate splines..

4. Set Active/DeActive recursive I assume you are using this is not so hot for Unity 4 - can you change this to work differently on U3 and U4?

42. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Not a bad idea Prime, I'll consider it. In fact there's one thing that has made me reconsider splitting up Farseer from RageSpline, as I'm updating Rage components to be compatible with Unity 4's Flash deployer the specific Farseer incompatibilities are too huge for someone without deep knowledge about it to take on. Talking of which, before anyone asks, Unity 3.5's Flash deployer is beta and won't be supported. Our internal RageSpline's already running with the Flash deployer (works great btw), RageTools is next.

Mu-kow, you probably won't need to edit the code for what you want to accomplish, RageSpline has a quite solid API for that. You can get the points straight from RageSpline.spline.points (it's an array, a point Vector3 position for instance it's spline.points[0].point). As for the physics collider points you can get them from the generated collider (if it's a mesh collider), since they're generated on the fly. For box colliders mode the source points aren't stored, if you need them check the RefreshPhysics() method, 'case Physics.Boxed:' block.

Agreed Anadin, I use it and it's a top-priority thing to add for me as well. Now that the promo is over we'll finally have time to add these much needed features, but you'll have to agree that the RageSpline 'cache mode' addition (I described it in the specific RageSuite thread) is way more important, so we're focusing on that first. Yet this change will come, count on it :) Meanwhile the best option is to assemble the separate frames in a single SVG with your vector editing application.

Good point. That one is interesting and tricky, I've managed to make RageGroup and Edgetune work with RageSprite, but first you have to enable all "frame game objects", update RageGroup and initialize Edgetune. Otherwise they don't have the reference of what to process. With all the differences between Unity 3.5 and Unity 4 object enabling, tell me if you still have any problem with this approach.

One last thing, monday we've updated the 'Optimize' toggle to never delete the control point vertices. This means Optimize is now finally consistent and useful for all Rage Components, including Rage Magnet. The vertex count gains are huge! :)

43. kreddy

kreddy

Hi,

Anyone know how to create separate meshes for RageSpline objects that I duplicate? I made a rage spline object and duplicated it a few times, hoping to control each duplicated object separately(such as color, outline etc), but all of them change when I change an attribute on one object.

It seems like I have to create a separate mesh for each object. I'm not sure how to, could anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks,
    Kedar

44. figment

figment

Hi - I am just getting into Unity for a new project, and we need to create 2d circular shapes, either on 2d plane or in a 3d space. We want to be able to zoom in and out. I was starting to work out how to create dynamic polygons that increase the number of sides depending on how close the camera is... and then found out about RageSpline.

Can RageSpline or any of its associated tools handle zooming in, dynamically increasing the "Vertex Density" - or is this something that can be handled with scripting? My background is programming so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'd like to know as it looks like the RageSpline and other tools could be really useful for our project.

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  45. sleekdigital

sleekdigital

Apologies if this has already been answered. My understanding is that it is best to work in a scale where the size of the unity cube = 1 meter in order to get the most accurate physics. When I add a ragespline prefab to a scene, it is ginormous compared to a Unity cube. What is the best fix for this? ... scale down and use really small numbers for outline width and anti-alias width? I've had to use a scale of .01 for some other 2D-centric tools, so perhaps that applies here as well?

46. eown70

eown70

Hi,

I have a ball wich is following a ragespline path with textured landscape.
    All is ok, but after a few time running, my texture become sharp on IOS, like on the picture. It should be straight.

Any idea about this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  47. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Kreddy, have you tried breaking the connection with the prefab? There's a menu option in Unity for that. The prefab connection system has changed many times in Unity's latest versions, so if that's not enough please tell me.

Sure Adam, that's exactly what the "Edgetune" component in RageTools does.

Eown, it's never recommended to use tiny scales in the RageSpline game objects. Unity's own precision seems to fail with calculations involving the fourth decimal, so anything under 0.001 may lead to precision problems. The outline width range in the base (prefab) rageSpline shapes should keep you safely out of this "tiny float" range.

Very weird. Are you running Edgetune or is it pure RageSpline?

48. sleekdigital

sleekdigital

But .01 should be ok? If not, what else can be done to in order to work at the scale that is recommended for Unity physics?

49. eown70

eown70

Hi, it's only pure ragespline with a landscape texture. I use a Perspective Camera, but I have the same problem with orthographic cam...

It's appears only on IOS version. It's a endless ragespline like in one of tour example with rocks. I've tried with different textures, (alpha and alpha transparent).

I joined you an another example :

50. mu-kow

mu-kow

Ok, so i got most of what i need accomplished with integration of the ragespline objects into my engine.

Short video:

I would like to be able to keep the angle of the gradient and/or texture the same at run time (as my body rotates and/or deforms). I tried modifying the angle directly for the rage spline. Sorry if i am missing anything obvious.

Thanks in advance