Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RageSpline - Create smooth 2D graphics inside Unity Editor - RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I got to the end in 5 mins :) That is, supposing the end is that area with 6-7 cones tight-packed in a row heh. The ragecar demo was a tad more challenging indeed.

2. keely

keely

Well you think you feel the Rage eh? Go try the RageBall and you'll know what frustration means!

3. keely

keely

I have RageBall in my iPhone too and let me tell you. With accelerometer controls. It's near impossible! I just love hardcore difficulty. Can't help it.

4. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Keely,
    Great to hear about the coming video tutorial an assets for the simple game.

Any news on anyone able to create an illustrator importer into RageSpline;)

5. keely

keely

Maddox just posted info on this, if you scroll couple of posts up.

6. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Your Rageball is not truly linked Keely :)

Yeah 24pfilms, my RageTools (still under development) is actually much more than an SVG (Adobe Illustrator / Inkscape) importer, that's just one of its main functionalities. This is a short list of features and current progress:

- SVG Importer (95% done)
    - Interactive and bulk (multi-spline) parameter editor (base code 100% done)
    - Animation / Deformer system (0% done - next in line!)
    - Font Manager and Text Generator system (50% done - RageTools ultimate feature, the ScaleForm "keeler"! :D)

Yeah the last one is the secret feature I hadn't revealed yet. Now you know ;)

7. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Fantastic Maddox!!! This will be a great feature set...can't wait!!

8. keely

keely

You mean it doesn't work? Maybe you're browser cached the old page. Try to refresh.

And btw. I'm reading all you're posts, but I got so many things going on at the same time that I haven't really taken time to make comments (yet).

9. ibyte

ibyte

Ugggghhhhh - might just be my overloaded system but the game also kept freezing briefly on me which only heightens my frustration.

One suggestion is the longer you try to play the redder the player object should get until it finally bursts and splatters red stuff everywhere!

iByte

10. ibyte

ibyte

Hey Maddox your tools are looking good. I think the adaptive vertex idea is great idea to simplify the amount of vertex/triangles required.

iByte

11. keely

keely

Does this simply mean that you can change parameters for multiple ragesplines from one source?

If so, this is already implemented in the style-system on v1.1. You create a style and after that, every ragespline with that style will get changed if you change one of them. It includes all the parameters.

12. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

True, but what if you want to change a specific parameter along a number of styles? For instance, if you want to change the anti-aliasing level in all splines (or, more commonly, the splines that compose a certain object) and those splines use different styles? SOL? :)

Even if this wasn't a problem, the bulk-change system would be needed for the animation system anyways.

Thanks for the supportive words iByte, appreciated!

13. keely

keely

Makes sense. I was just making sure that we don't make the same exact feature by accident.

btw. I just sent you private notification about something that needs urgent response.

14. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Thanks Keely, replied.

15. keely

keely

Two new features in this screenshot:

- Outline now has two colors. Inner and outer.
    - The beak cornering in the sharp point.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

very sweet :D

17. Acumen

Acumen

That is exactly what I needed !!
    Sweet to see some progress, can't wait for next version to come. Will give me a reason to instal Unity again after computer broke :D

18. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Awesome Keely!! :D Any progress in the alternate, truly-curvy-smooth cornering?

19. keely

keely

That one is giving me all kinds of crap. While not a complicated thing as is, I've made some code design decisions early on that make it kind a hard to implement. I'm still looking into it, but it doesn't look too good now :(

20. stuatk

stuatk

Just Downloaded -

One quick question before I commit time to learning rage spline - does every object create a draw call even though they share the same material?

Thanks.

21. stuatk

stuatk

Can't set the Layer of the colliders that are generated, it's cleared when ever play is pressed. It's essential to be able to do this. Unless I missed something?

A drop down list on the rageSpline itself would do the trick.

And if I select 0 for Anti Alias width the top of the collider boxes don't line up with the top of the generated mesh.

Hope I'm missing something... not the best start.

22. stuatk

stuatk

and when creating a line only (even the prefab line supplied as an example), the colliders don't go right to the end of the line unless you ramp the number of colliders up to something approaching the number for the vertex count of the line, which is not good.

A quick example below: Colliders are all over the place, the handle on the end of the spline act differently depending on if it's the start or end of the spline, the resulting mesh is also terrible: Can't even create a square corner!

I'm beginning to regret spending the money. It wasn't exactly cheap either.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  23. keely

keely

@stuatk

If you have a basic version of Unity, you'll get multiple shapes within same draw call if they have less than 300 verts. This rarely happens with RageSpline shapes, because smooth shapes and the AA-trick I'm using takes a lot of verts. With Pro version and static batching, you have more options and can get draw call count down.

Collider layer is a good point and I'll try to add that to upcoming v1.1.

The square corners problem on visual side is also fixed on the v1.1 using "beak"-selection with outline.

Square corners on physics side (and on your screenshots) is resulting from using uneven number for physics verts vs. control points. The amount of physics verts should be adjusted so that the "splits" hit on the same place where a spline point lies. It's usually a multiplier of the spline control point count (your image has 4 control points, so try using 4,8,12,16,20,.. with physics vertcount), but sometimes it works a bit funky on v1.0. The v1.1 should work much better.

I have send you a v1.1 beta version with private message so you can try it out.

24. prime31

prime31

@stuatk, draw calls arent the most important thing anymore since the Unity 3.x came out. You will almost always be limited by something else (usually fill rate) before draw calls these days.

25. Skyrise

Skyrise

Hi keely,

is it possible to have the 1.1 beta, please?
    Lots of very cool features and adjustment (the collider and the antialiasing on the border is very important, I'm using Antialiasing -1 to overcome the problem now).

Hope to show something about my game (iPhone/iPad) soon! :)

26. Skyrise

Skyrise

Yep.

I'm using lots of splines, vertex, and drawcall on iPhone/iPad. Not a single problem and always 60fps, with pretty complex scene, and lots of object moving around, checking for collision etc... :)

27. keely

keely

Send you a pm. Remember it's beta/unfinished and do take backups before import!

28. keely

keely

The upcoming grid/snap feature.

29. ibyte

ibyte

"The upcoming grid/snap feature."

Thanks keely that will be very useful.

iByte

30. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Can I start crying already? :(

BTW, I know I owe you something, sorry, v. crapy day today. I'll send you first thing tomorrow morning, hopefully you can still use it.

31. Laypoof

Laypoof

YO! can i import Wings3d models into unity3d without no problem?

32. keely

keely

33. keely

keely

The website layout is now finished. I've used my Asset Store millions to hire a friend to do the html/wordpress so I can focus on releasing the update. The deadline for the site launch is 30. June. I don't know if the tutorial videos will make it to the launch, but I try to do some docs and hopefully get the actual v1.1 out before that too.

ragespline.com layout

34. iisjreg

iisjreg

Nice, nice work.
    Can't wait.

35. matis1989

matis1989

very nice layout. I love it::) Cant wait for next version 1.1 will be awesome

36. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hey, look at that, RageTools' on display :D Thanks Keely, it's looking really great and it's a big honor being featured on your site, make sure I'll do the same - as soon as I fix our homepage and make it live again ahem :)

To celebrate this big moment, here goes an update on RageTools. I've had little time to work on it this busy week, but today I've finally finished the real-time bulk-tweak of the Vertex Density. It's got an 'adaptive' option as well (just as the svg-in component) so that you can keep the calculated adaptive density generated during import, it'll also respect any manual tweak to the density you've made by hand after import. Very easy to use, I'm now one simple step away from dynamically setting the density and AA according to the spline group boundary relative to the canvas. That will mean that, no matter what's the screen size of the output device (let's say.. iPod Nano to iPad), it'll always get the perfect amount of (defined by the artist of course) curve subdivision and anti-aliasing - just like what you get from Flash! :)

I've also added a nice extension method to read and set Vertex Density (eg.: ragespline.setvertexdensity(3); ), in case Keely doesn't have time to add it to the next base code release.

<Enough cheap tech talk Madd, we want pretty pictures!!> Ok, ok, there you go:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  37. keely

keely

Lookin good!

I have to share this story about the pics you sent. I opened them yesterday before going to sleep and I guess I left that open on my screen.

Now when I woke up I noticed something weird against Unitys grey background. Well it was that guy in your picture burned in my monitor. I thought that pictures burn into monitors only in movies, but now I know better. Now he is staring at me 24/7. Not funny.

38. itech

itech

39. Acumen

Acumen

Congrats on getting this out, itech !

I'm wondering how one can put this crazy detailled ragetools thing to use ? I mean, why would I want to create a super-dense mesh of something of that level of detail within ragespline/unity ?
    I just don't get the use of that - I'm not trying to be ignorant, I just tend to need some actual development use instead of some not so realistic examples pushing the envelope, to fully understand the use of a toolset.

40. prime31

prime31

@acumen, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure I understand the advantage. If you are going to make detailed artwork in an external program why not just output an image and drop the vert count by hundreds per object? What is the use case?

41. itech

itech

I'm not sure that I'm getting this question right , but as I can said is that RageSpline is perfect tool for some part of jobs to be done.

Currently I work on one totaly different type of the game, it used lot's of asstes , some buyed over asstes store some made by me, but as I say it's different type of game and I use different techniques for that, but in future I will use RageSpline for some of my work definitely again.

42. prime31

prime31

@itech, RageSpline is fabulous. My question was about importing complex SVG artwork.

43. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Have you got a CRT instead of an LCD/LED monitor? I've read somewhere that this can't happen on the most modern monitors..

So not-funny-ness aside.. Pandy* made its first victim huh? :D

* That's the name of the crazy pet, the two previous ones were Peng and Polk ^_^

44. itech

itech

Hard :)
    I don't now is it possible to import SVG files over RageSpline , I see some projects mades by Cocos2D that imports SVG perfectly, but this is different tool :)
    Yes I also support native support for SVG , but I thinks it's hard work to implement that, especially in measure the baunds of the objects for collision calculations later in the game ?

PS.
    I think that iTGE support SVG also, but I'm not 100% sure.

45. keely

keely

If you mean importing the SVG, there are few bonuses vs. using a bitmap:
    - You get to tweak the colors and form in the context of your game
    - You get resolution independence

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  46. keely

keely

Its a ~3-4 yr old 24" LCD. This was actually one of the expensive ones back then.

http://www.lg.com/ae/it-products/lcd-monitors/LG-L245WP.jsp

I've seen stuff burned into CRTs, but never ever did I think it's possible to burn it to LCDs and it was only one day ffs. The monitor must be broken someway.

47. Acumen

Acumen

Hm, I guess the example is just not the most obvious explaining the benefits. Because it would be downright weird to import complex character illustrations like that within the ragespline environment.
    Guess with the "release" of ragetools there will be actual game resources and examples to show the useful and beneficial side of it :)

For me it's still mostly on the level/environment editor side of things as of now.

48. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Well, I don't think we need to discuss on the advantages and disadvantages of vector art vs Bitmap graphics. If that was the case and bitmap graphics were the holy graal, ragespline wouldn't be even needed, right? :) Anyways, let me just mention "en passant" that resolution-aware, pixel-perfect graphics it's not something you're gonna get for free or in any sort of "editor-tweakable" way out of bitmap graphics, especially if you're targetting multiple platforms.

That goes without saying that SVG import is just part of RageTools benefits, don't forget the animation toolset and the almighty text rendering component. Or will you guys also want a use case for "ScaleForm"? ;)

There's nothing weird with the SVG import, just create an empty gameobject, assign a script and a couple import options, presto! Performance has been really extremely good so far, I haven't run any comparison tests with the same art inside Flash but, considering how Unity uses 3D acceleration, I bet it'll get the upper hand.

Undoubtedly, once I release the first video things will make sense and present its "wow" factor. I'm working as hard as my limited time allows to make it a kickass product that'll fit smoothly with rageSpline.

49. prime31

prime31

Here is a little proof of concept using RageSpline with a 3rd dimension. Excuse the massive choppiness. Video recording while running the editor in play mode is not a happy combination.

50. coolpowers

coolpowers

Why would you use RageSpline for complex artwork instead of a texture? Because you're not going to chew up your texture memory and/or storage. Obviously there are going to be times when it doesn't make sense, but doesn't that apply to everything? :)