Search Unity

RageSpline - Create smooth 2D graphics inside Unity - Coming soon

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Apr 7, 2011.

1. prime31

prime31

@keely, that all sounds awesome to me. Anything that isn't in there I have no problem making myself as extension methods. With your permission I could even make them into tutorial videos like this Vectrocity extension video if it makes sense and can provide a good learning experience for others.

2. keely

keely

Anything like this would make me very very happy.

edit: I just sent you a private message.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. trooper

trooper

Very nice mate, not the art style we'd go for but the prototyping potential is very valuable.

4. p6r

p6r

Sorry, I didn't see the pictures with textures !
    WOW ! So it's perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a very complete tool. It's very rare !!!
    Your last video is very impressive and attractive. So we can create an entire world directly into Unity.

The most interesting, I think : Thanks to your tool, it seems we can use ONLY one software (= Unity3D) to create complete nice games : backgrounds, "characters", engine...
    Generally I have to use a lot of softwares but with RageSpline I can make all what I need...
    I can't wait to use it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations again for your work and tool !!!
    6R

5. cemC

cemC

great work. i think that you use meshFilter commands in your code. And in script reference, there are not enough examples or tutorails about mesh modifiier. Then , Do you any suggestion tutorials or example projects about meshFilter,mesh modifier?

6. Alienchild

Alienchild

7. bmahloch

bmahloch

Just Wow!

Really great work.

8. Esila

Esila

very cool, I'm ready to buy it.

9. p6r

p6r

Questions :
    * How many splines can we use in one scene ??? (low-poly splines or high !?!)
    * Can we use the splines in other planes : XZ, YZ ???

6R

10. Toad

Toad

Looking very cool!

11. keely

keely

I just submitted RageSpline to Asset Store and it's now pending their approval.

Small step for a man, giant leap for a Ragecube.

12. ibyte

ibyte

And your not going to spill the details?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  13. keely

keely

What's on your mind?

14. proportion

proportion

what price did you put on it?

15. keely

keely

I know this might be nitpicking, but since the approval process includes a small possibility that they want to tweak the price, I don't want to comment about the price I submitted. Really sorry, but let's hope that the wait is soon over.

16. proportion

proportion

yea fair enough. well i hope it does really well. i have a feeling it will as it is the first asset store item that i have wanted to get (including the free ones). have you though of just selling it direct on your blog site as well? or at unity prefabs?

17. keely

keely

I considered that too, but since I'm (for now) doing this on my free time, that's the kind of thing I really have to avoid like the plague. All those small tasks like maintaining your own webstore can really add up very quick.

18. ibyte

ibyte

Hey keely, was wondering what your final feature set was for v1.0! as well the price but thats cool if your going to wait.

iByte

19. keely

keely

I had to cut some of the ideas from v1.0 since so many ppl wanted to get their hands on it quickly, but if I had to list features it would be something like this:

- Creating 2D meshes and lines with bézier-based splines
    - Outlining with single color, variable width per control point + natural/sharp switch per point
    - Solid one color fills
    - Linear gradient fills with two colors and GUI-adjustable scale, offset position and rotation
    - Emboss styling with two colors and GUI-adjustable adjustable scale, rotation and smoothness variable.
    - Texturing support with GUI-adjustable scale, offset and rotation
    - Automatic physics generation (box colliders)
    - Adjustable vertex count for outline, fill, emboss and physics
    - Example game included: RageCar

"GUI-adjustable" means that there's a easy-to-use handle on top of the object, which you can use to set up scale/rotation/offset very intuitively. You can get a feel for that from the introduction video which I posted earlier.

I've had two outsiders (Prime31 and melmonkey), with no prior experience and no help from me, to test this tool. They have both stated, there is a very quick learning curve and no documentation is needed.

I didn't actually make any documentation at all because of this. There's a short readme.txt and the key commands are also visible on the GameObject inspector all the time. I try to answer all the questions on the forum once it's released and make a faq if necessary.

There are few quirks that I'm already aware of that will be fixed for the v1.1, but they are no "showstoppers" by any means.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  20. keely

keely

In the meantime, while anxiously waiting for this to get approved for the Store, you can waste your time with my game Memodies. I just changed it's price from 0.99$ to free. link.

It doesn't use RageSpline obviously, but it's an Unity 2D game so worth checking out anyways.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  21. WebWolfRussian

WebWolfRussian

What about GUI example with your RageSpline? :)

22. p6r

p6r

Bought !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't wait to play with...

6R

23. ibyte

ibyte

Ditto, thanks!!! keely.

iByte

24. keely

keely

25. PeterEmil

PeterEmil

Wow! That's a hell of a lot frustration playing your demo! Like to have some kind of interaction possible while boxie is in midair or when landing you can have a handbrake kind of control because otherwise the game won't be a hit. But besides that, it is strong with a good visual appeal! Congrats.

PE