Search Unity

RageSpline - 2D Vector Graphics for Unity - v1.5 [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MaDDoX, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tayl0r

tayl0r

Are you sure RageSpline 1.5.3 works with Unity 3.5? I get the "type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") != 0" error when I create a new empty Unity project and try to import the RageSpline package.

Edit- If I import the _Freakow and _ThirdParty folders into a new Unity Project I get the same Poly2Tri error so you must already know the problem- Poly2Tri is not in the package. I will wait for 1.5.4 =)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. jeffweber

jeffweber

Not sure about 3.5, but I imported version 1.5.3.2 into my Unity 4 project and so far all is good. I did not have the Poly2Tri error

@MaDDox, now that 1.5.3.2 is in the asset store, when can we expect the updated Rage Tools and Rage Tools Pro.

Also, side question: Is the import of fonts easier with the new RageToolsPro? Can the import handle "Holes" properly now?

BTW, LOVE the new option to lock physics to display and the option to see Triangle cound. Thanks a ton for that!

-jeff

3. rob_b30

rob_b30

THANKYOU!!!!!!!

1.5.3 implements colliders based on the spline shape on farseerer

Thankyou. this is awesome

4. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

I have the same. 1.5.3.2 in Unity 3.5.6f4

5. rob_b30

rob_b30

HI

the colliders in farseer physics colliders seem to be screwy @ runtime.
    In the editor they look fine, but on runtime the polygons representing the colliders appear to be wrong. causing collisions that arn't consistant with the edge of the objects.

Try creating a large object with relatively complex curves as a "ground" that has static physics. and then create a small ball with dynamic physics. and watch what happens, especially if you change the curvative of he "ground" a bit between complies.

rob

6. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

RageTools just sent to the Asset Store. And yes, definitely, 1.1.4 has the new 'create holes' option in SVG-In that makes not only font but any type of more complex vector art 1000x easier :) Just as a side note, it's always wise to prefer stacked shapes than shapes with holes when possible - less edges generated = less polygons generated = far better performance.

Glad you guys liked it, yet I have to thank you Jeff for the suggestion :)

I've created a project from scratch in Unity 3.5.6f4, imported the package and it worked. Have you tried deleting your project's 'Library' folder? I've wasted a huge chunk of time today tracing a phantom bug related to that folder. Just remember to back up your project before trying this, depending on your project serialization mode it might break your asset connections.

From your report it seems it's not feeding the editor-created edges to the convex generator? I can't imagine how'd that happen, and it seemed to work in my tests - but I'll double check, np.

We're almost out of those troubled waters guys, today I've finally finished the RageTools Pro updates to make it Unity 3.5 compatible, it'll go to the store right after RageTools goes live. Updates should get back to normal speed as soon as we go through this. Keep the feedback coming!

7. phocker

phocker

tried updating to 1.5.3.2 RagSpline with 3.5.6f4 -- same results "type == kMetaAssetType" error

I believe that this error is causing most (if not all) of the third party farseer libraries to be imported -- i tried importhing those from the asset store by themselves but it did not work -- aargh

anyway -- i removed library folder as suggested -- i was able to open the project but all the assets were messed up and there were 4 script errors for FarseerTriangulator is missing "Poly2Tri" or whatever?

I did not really want to upgrade to Unity 4 yet but I might have no choice as this is becoming kind of a show stopper now.

8. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

It was a completely empty new project, I just want to get all three Rage products into that. (In Unity 4 it works.)

Edit: I'm on a Mac, OS X 10.7, latest.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. miikalo

miikalo

How can I create level borders without holes in them, for a top-down racing game? Like a landscape where the "mass" of the landscape is not only downwards.

10. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Are both you guys on OSX? 'Coz I can't replicate the problem here on Windows, last time I saw it was on 1.5.3.1.

For the record having this version work on Unity 4 only is not an option. I'm starting to think something went wrong in the upload process to the Asset store, since 1.5.3.1 and 1.5.3.2 were submitted in rapid succession. Can both you guys send me your e-mails through PM so I can send you the exact 1.5.3.2 version? If you later confirm that's the problem, I'll simply re-submit with a new version ID. If anyone else with the private FTP access has Unity 3.5, I'd be extremely grateful if you could test the latest version as well.

I'm not sure I get you miikalo, have you played with all physics settings? If I got you right, "mesh collider" seems like an obvious candidate.

11. DarkMaukka

DarkMaukka

I am having these problems also.
    Mac OS X 10.8.2 ,Unity 3.5.6f4 , RageSpline 1.5.3.2.

Project using the RageSpline can't be opened, since Unity throws type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") != 0" error after RageSpline update.

I hope this will be fixed, since I can't continue with my project.

I do have back up on my Time Machine, can I just replace RageSpline and RageTools assets or am I going to brake my project even more by doing so?

-Markus

12. rob_b30

rob_b30

Hi Maddox.

I've attached a project in zip format demonstrating teh issues with Farseer colliders to this post
    Just push play and you'll see the colliders are not where tehy should be.

rob

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. miikalo

miikalo

Sorry, bad explanation... Please see the image above. How do I close the gap seamlessly on the left part of the level?

14. tayl0r

tayl0r

Regarding the "type == kMetaAssetType" error on Unity 3.5, yes, I'm on OSX.

If I import the _Freakow and _ThirdParty folders into a new Unity Project I get the Poly2Tri missing library error. I'm assuming the problem is that it's just been left out of the package.

15. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

You mean the split connecting the outer and inner edges? This actually can't be removed and it shouldn't affect your rendered output - have you tried reducing the anti-aliasing level? You can also try manually moving the split edges apart, try using the "H" shorcut to hide the control handles so it's easier to move points. For precision you can also play with our grid snap settings, please check the online docs for more info.

Today helioxfilm (see post on page 3) confirmed to me through e-mail that the Asset Store version is not properly updated, I've sent him the real 1.5.3.2 and it worked just fine. I'm sending a new version to the store today including the fix for an issue that Jeff Weber caught. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be live and all sorted out. If any of you have an urgent need for the right version with the fix, just drop me an e-mail to contact[at]freakow.com and I'll quickly send it to you.

Rob, I've just checked your project since I couldn't find any bug in the system. Your problem is that "The Ground" needs to have a scale of 1,1,1. As described in the docs, non-default scales are not supported by any Farseer Unity ports at this time. If you have RageTools you can use Pivotools "Freeze Rotation Scale" button, otherwise you have to create your art respecting this limitation. Also for more predictable behavior you'll want your camera orthographic size set to 27, please read the docs for more info. I'm also sending you a PM.

16. reddotgames

reddotgames

After updating to newest version my project gets fatal error.
    and Unity dont even wanna open project. Even after deleting all RageSpline folders :(

I deleted LIBRARY directory, reimport all again and now error appears :
    Bad news is that by updating to newest version I deleted old working one :(

Edit : After deleting LIBRARY i lost all my prefabs and materials and all script connections in scene ............... good that this was only prototype. Now I need 1 hour to connect all together again. There was no other way to open my project after updating to new RageSpline.

Hope you guys will test new updates more carefully. Meanwhile can you send me link to WORKING version of RageSpline?
    Im on Unity3.5 and Windows

17. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi Dariusz. We've sent a Unity 3.5.x-compatible version almost a week ago, yet the Asset Store hasn't updated it due to some internal error in their system - the version number has changed, but the package contents didn't. We've only realized what happened - due to user reports - yesterday.

Still, the version which is currently online is 100% compatible with Unity 4, which since its release is the only version officially supported by the Asset Store. Nevertheless, we've decided to keep supporting Unity 3.5 since we know many projects are well underway and won't be upgraded to Unity 4. I hope you understand it's definitely not a case of negligence towards our users, on the contrary, while other component devs have completely abandoned Unity 3.5, we've worked twice as hard to make sure our users with the older version of Unity get fully working versions.

I've sent the latest version (submitted again yesterday to the Asset Store) to your e-mail, please tell me if you have any further problems.

18. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

I can confirm Maddox's words, the ftp-version if the plugin works fine. I was among those who got it yesterday. Thanks for the support, Breno!

19. morten795

morten795

Hi,

Just bought RageSpline and am seeing the problems described in this thread. How do I get access to a working version?

Using Unity 3.5.6f4 on OSX

/Morten

20. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi Morten. Unfortunately Unity still hasn't updated RageSpline to its latest version, just send me e-mail with your proof-of-purchase to contact [at] freakow.com and I'll send the new package to you beforehand.

21. DarkMaukka

DarkMaukka

Hi!
    I noticed that the 1.5.3.3 is available and imported the new version. No luck for me...

At first Unity gave me the "type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") != 0" error and then when i removed the Library folder and restarted Unity, it still gave me the error "Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Code/FarseerTriangulator.cs(1,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Poly2Tri' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"

This time it really seems that the files have been updated since I can find the readme.txt and the version seems to be 1.5.3.3 .

Anyway, I am lucky that I had my back ups done and I managed to restore my project...

Edit: This happens also when starting a new project. Importing RageSpline causes the "type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") != 0" error...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  22. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I've just tested and it's still 1.5.3. That's what shows up in the readme.txt for the right version:
    Notice the extra ".3" at the end.

Anyways, to make things easier for all of us (while the Asset Store gets its act together), I've created a small .zip file that fixes the Unity 3.5 issue. Simply unpack it in your project folder right after importing RageSpline from the Asset Store (and getting the darned crash). Copy over / copy and replace all files and re-start Unity. Some assets will be re-imported and the project will be updated.

RageSpline_1.5_Unity3_fix.zip

23. phocker

phocker

Everyone -- I can report that with the patch from Maddox that I am able to successfully install and user Ragspline and Ragetools again!!!!!

Thank You

+1 MaDDoX
    -1 UAS

24. xhidnoda

xhidnoda

RageSpiline + PlayMaker is soooooo good so far! <3

25. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Thanks xhidnoda :)

Hey guys, RageSpline 1.5.5 just sent to the Asset Store. RageSuite users already have access to it in our private FTP, if you don't have it yet just wait a couple days and it'll be live in the AS. Among many improvements and fixes, this release should finally resolve the Asset Store issue with Unity 3.5. Thanks to Caitlyn and the rest of her team for the help. Changelog:

26. Pix10

Pix10

Hey MaDDoX, just updated to 1.5.5 and ... you probably don't want to hear this but: Fatal Error ! type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") != 0

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Is it the Asset Store not updating properly?

edit: this is 3.5.7 Windows. Also, it may be unrelated but this error is consistent with 4.0 assets being imported into Unity 3.5.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  27. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Oh are you kidding me? Have you tried force-importing the package into an entirely new project? The Asset Store guys told me it was an issue with their file/folder system not taking empty folders, which causes an error in 3.5 that for whatever reason doesn't happen in Unity 4. I've added a placeholder file in the problem folder and it did work in my tests.

Anybody else confirm that issue remains?

28. jeffweber

jeffweber

Issue with RageSpline styles.

I came across an issue with the workflow of creating and applying styles.

Lets say I have two RageSplines A and B each with no styles.

I create a style on A and check the "Local vertex count" and "Local physics collider count" because I almost never want a style to affect those.

Now, I want to apply the same style to B which happens to have a different vertex and physics collider count. I drag the style on to B and boom, it updates the density on B using, I presume, whatever was in the style.

There doesn't seem to be a way to tell the style NOT to apply the vertext and physics collider count until AFTER it's been applied and the target spline has been updated.

Couple things I 'd like:

1. By default set "Local vertex count and local physics collider count to true. Sure seems like most times you would not want these things updated from a style.

2. At the very least, let me somehow set these bits on the target mesh prior to applying a style so when I do apply the style the vertex and physics collider counts don't get auto updated.

Hope this makes sense. If I'm doing something wrong and this is not an issue, please let me know.

29. bardic

bardic

I can confirm this is still happening. I updated this morning and am getting that error. I've tested on mac and windows in Unity 3.5.6f4 with the same outcome.

30. bardic

bardic

Update: A direct import from the asset store seems to work but when I add it to a unity3 project from the unitypackage it breaks. If I open it in unity4 from said unitypackage it works and if I copy the folders to a unity3 project that also works.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have downloaded RageSpline 1.5.5 today and tried to import it into a clean project and have the same issue.
    Worked around it by importing it in unity 4 and then copying the folders to my 3.5.7 project.

32. DeepShader

DeepShader

Same problem here: I'm on Unity 3.5.7 and if I try to create a new project and import the latest RageSpline Unity Crashes with:

Fatal error!

type == kMetaAssetType....

Really bad -.-

What can I do? I don't have Unity 4.x!

33. Pix10

Pix10

Yeah, I was going round in circles...worked ok in 4, bad in 3.5.x

Now, I've got it working but it's just gotten slightly more confusing -- the Update the UAS gave me had a bunch of Farseer assets - a Farseer directory and some Editor/ bits. That one wasn't working.

I've since deleted the _freakow directory from AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\, and run Update again in the UAS, and it's all working. However, there's no Farseer stuff anymore, even though the version number is listed as the same (1.5.5) ... is that correct now? (if so, it looks like the UAS isn't behaving itself at all).

34. Jake-L

Jake-L

Same to me, crashed when importing from the AssetStore into a new empty 3.5.7 project (Windows here), applying the fix helped, but when importing a package I did with 4.0 (just scenes containing ragesplines, turned off dependencies) the project crashes again, this time the fix won't help.

PS: I already mentioned that in the thread linked from ragespline.com, but as several threads are flying around, this got under the table, I think.

35. DeepShader

DeepShader

Perfect! Same here. Works great on OSX after deleting the folder. Thanks so much!!

36. LaneFox

LaneFox

It looks like I posted in the old thread... Not sure if that is still maintained or not so I'll just double-post here.

Why can't I add a mesh collider to the primitives? It keeps getting overridden by the script. I'm assuming it wants to use its own internal collider setup but I need to use a standard collider to interact with things that are looking for the typical physics collider.

37. LaneFox

LaneFox

FYI I'm working around this by adding a plane behind the object, adding a collider, culling it at the camera and using that as the trigger for the object set I want to interact with. Works fine but I think it would be better to be able to use the nice shapely vector for this.

38. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi zerobounds. I've already replied this in the older thread, but I'll re-answer here with a tad more detail.

That's the default behavior when you have editor physics creation enabled. If you're using Unity 4 you can simply copy the collider component and place it in another children Game Object. If you're using box colliders, they're placed as children of the host RageSpline, so simply move them somewhere else in the hierarchy. In both cases you can then disable the RageSpline physics or editor collider generation.

39. ianjgrant

ianjgrant

Hello, sorry if this questions has been asked before:

Is it possible, with the the RageSpline API, to create shapes at runtime - e.g. have the user draw vector points?
    And then interact with the shape - moving the vertices?

Secondly, with RageTools Pro - would it be possible for the use to interact with the IK joints / handles (via a proxy object) at runtime.

Basically, I'm interested in exposing the edit mode at runtime?

Thanks, Ian

40. meta87

meta87

41. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hey guys, just a heads up that RageSpline 1.6.1 is now live in the Asset Store. Bear in mind that it's not compatible with the RageTools and RageTools Pro versions currently in the Asset Store, updates are coming for those. If you only have the Asset Store versions of RageTools and RageTools Pro, upgrading RageSpline is discouraged until the other new versions go live.

42. sampenguin

sampenguin

Sorry bad news :( I just bought RageSpline 1.6.1 fresh and am still having the issues described above. type == kMetaAssetType.... etc.

I deleted the Library folder which got Unity to start at least, but now it's throwing an error at:
    Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Code/RageFarseerAdapter.cs(2,17): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Xna' does not exist in the namespace `Microsoft'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Which effectively disables the editor immediately (any compile errors at startup make Unity a dull boy)

Unity 3.5.7f6 on Windows 7.

also RageSpline.com is down (at least the front page is throwing an error message for me in Chrome).

43. sampenguin

sampenguin

Update to that last post:
    Comparing the files that got imported vs. what's listed in the Asset Store Package Contents, it looks like several files did not get imported. However, if I try to re-import the .unitypackage, I get the immediate Fatal Error crash bug (which btw may have to do with .meta files in your package?).

Is there anyway to manually extract files from a .unitypackage? I've been trying WinRAR, 7zip etc. but I get a bunch of gobbledygook folders and files that look more like library cache files. I have a feeling if I could do this I could just manually drop the individual files in the right places and it would work.

44. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Hi Breno,

When trying out the demo scenes of the RageSpline 1.6.1 with Unity 4.2, I've hit the inertia tensor problem. Enabling the following line in RageSpline.cs seems to fix it...

Code (csharp):
    1. // Fix for the inertia tensor problem. gO mesh needs some depth.
    2. //*** Below fix is apparently no longer needed, if you have any problem please report
    3. if (verts.Length > 0) verts[0] += new Vector3(0f, 0f, -0.001f);
    So, here I am reporting... :)

45. figment

figment

Hi everyone. Been exchanging emails with Breno about developing with RageSuite/RageSpline and he's been really helpful. We are using it in a kind of 3D context, to draw circles that the user can pan and zoom around, using EdgeTune to keep the vertex count as low as possible without visible angles.

I would really like to be able to give some "thickness" to the RageSpline objects. So that when the user spins them around and they are facing the edge head on, that the edge is visible - currently, as it is just a 2D surface it has 0 thickness. I'm still learning some aspects of Unity so please bare with me, but any help with this would be great, even if its to know that I need to look at other tools.... I've also looked at primitive shape libraries which could help us achieve what we want, in conjunction with RageSpline and RageTools.

Thanks
    Adam

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  46. Rahkola

Rahkola

Our team is facing a little problem with ragespline after we updated Unity from 4.1.5f1 to newest 4.2.0f4

Now textured outlines with "RageSpline/Textured alpha transparent"-shader are drawn behind the fill texture which uses "RageSpline/Textured"-shader.
    The problem is that we want them to be on front of the fill. The problem seem to disappear with different graphics emulation settings (especially with DirectX7 emulation), but it's no use because we need it to work with iOS. On iOS(3rd gen iPad) some outlines are drawn in front of the fill while others are drawn behind the fills. The problem is very random as at scene loads the outline that was first behind the fill texture, can now be in front of it and vice versa.

I can open up the problem in a little bit more detail if it helps, just wanted to see if anyone else is facing this problem.

ps. we are not using the latest ragespline version

47. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Hi,

I can't for the life of me work out how to tween the properties of a Ragespline object. I'm fine with the basic gameobject props, but things like colour, border size etc are eluding me. Also the docs/website seems to be offline.

Could anyone with some experience of this please show me an example of tweening colour?

Thanks

Edit: I don't mind if it's HOTween, iTween or something else :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  48. WildMaN

WildMaN

Website with docs is definitely offline for some time already, which is quite annoying. Have to use Google's cache.

49. zzzzz

zzzzz

Ragespline.com is down...along with the DOCS! Just bought but need the manual...Does anyone have a copy or link? Dmitry how did you find it in Google Cache? What's the name of the file?

Thanks!
    Ryan

50. pkolbe

pkolbe

Are there any plans to update RageSpline to use the 2D physics introduced in Unity 4.3?

Regards,

pk