Search Unity

RageSpline - 2D Vector Graphics for Unity - v1.5 [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MaDDoX, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hey guys, glad to say that after one month of beta-test and tidying up, RageSpline 1.5 has just headed to the Asset Store! If you haven't read about all the goodies it provides, here goes a couple screenshots plus a list of the main new features:

The online docs text was reviewed and updated, there's a "New" icon next to all new entries. Check it out

PS.: From now on, let's please keep all RageSpline 1.5-specific discussion going on in this thread, k?

Attached Files:

2. jeffweber

jeffweber

Awesome, can't wait to give it whirl.

3. lazygunn

lazygunn

I just got terribly excited, a lot of stuff i invested in quite a while ago seems to be working out and developing brilliantly, 3D splines and the physics look really great, i'm gonna get clicking on the docs

4. jeffweber

jeffweber

Hmmm, Asset Store is showing version 1.5 is available, but when you look at the contents and/or import it, it looks like it's still the old version.

@MaDDox, did you upload the correct version? Or is the store just lagging a little bit?

5. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Same here...

Btw, what's the ETA for RageTools updates? I assume it won't take long as RageSpline is (almost) out now, right?

6. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

The Asset Store usually takes at least one working day to get a new version up. It's certainly faster than getting a new product up - which requires additional review scrutiny - but it still does get in a line which, I'm sure, only increases as the Asset Store becomes bigger :)

Exactly. I expect to send the new Tools versions to the Asset Store by wednesday. There's mostly docs updating work left to do - but sometimes when reviewing docs you step on something that might use a little tweak, so I'll hold it until docs are complete.

Once again, apologies for the long development cycle of this iteration. It was the first time we actually got to modify the core RageSpline code, so we just had to do it right. Also, this has definitely been the most ambitious Rage-products updates ever, with a gigantic revamp on the RageTools SVG importer (and a new amazing auto-hole generation code by Rafael) and two complex new components on RageTools Pro - RageButton and RageSprite.

Four coders including myself have touched on so many aspects of the products that it got really hard to tie everything up - but, as far as we can tell, we made it. Now it'll be your turn to tell us if we really did ;)

For this RageSpline release, a special thank you goes to Jorge "Coluna", ace coder responsible for the new "3D mode" code. Being able to seamlessly mix vector art with 3D objects and levels it's an old dream for all RageSpline users, and we would never make it without your ninja skills bro! :bow:

7. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Breno,

That's great news, feels like xmas came early.. :) All updates sounds great but I"m specially looking forward to use RageSprite in our new project...

Regarding the update issue, Asset Store actually shows it as v1.5. So new version seems to be up, but when downloaded file contents are the old one.

8. Skyrise

Skyrise

Great news Maddox!
    Congratulation for the release, downloading now... ;)

9. jeffweber

jeffweber

Still seeing the new version listed but content is still that of the old version... Quit teasing me!!! :)

10. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I'm not! :) That's up to the Asset Store dudes (and lead dudette heh). I still got no confirmation e-mail that the new version is up, but last time they didn't even notify me of anything, version simply got updated silently so.. no clue really :)

As for 1.5 showing up, it's probably a side effect of the new Asset Store Tools, it works sensibly different than the previous version and it was a pain to find out why it wasn't working the first 20x I tried..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. jeffweber

jeffweber

Probably should be reported as a bug. Listing an asset as a new version when it's not really the new version is going to cause a lot of confusion.

12. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Agreed... I'm trying to re-download the package daily since Sunday, it's still the same old version... It looks like somehow version info updated even if the actual update is not approved/released yet (based on Breno's comment)...

I just hope Rage Tools update (is it still due tomorrow?) goes thru properly... :)

13. Mikie

Mikie

1.5 does not work with 4.0.0f3. Will there a update.

14. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

4.0 is still beta, when it goes live we'll have an upgrade ready as well (code changes needed are minimal but break current 3.5 users).

Are you sure you got 1.5? Have you got a new "Farseer" option in your RageSpline Physics setting? Just curious if it finally went live :)

15. rob_b30

rob_b30

ummmm. Any idea when this thing is going to go live
    its now six days later. I'm sure if nothing were wrong it would have gone through by now....

16. Mikie

Mikie

No, all I see is boxed, mesh collider and outline mesh collider. It says vers 1.5.

17. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Oh well, you're probably right. I'm gonna ask Caitlyn directly about it. -_-

PS.: I found a bug with the latest Asset Store Tools update, not sure if it's also affecting other products. Can someone please test the following procedure:
    1) go to the RageSpline product page in the Asset Store.
    2) Do *not* click on Import. Instead left click on that same buttons drop down menu and select "Redownload and Import"
    3) It's gonna tell you your version is already up to date. LIES!! Ignore the bastard and proceed.
    4) Tell me if it works or not.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. rob_b30

rob_b30

worked for me. It re-downloaded version 1.5 and installed it

of course its still not actually version 1.5

19. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Just tried, no difference. Package is re-downloaded but still the old version...

20. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Caitlyn replied with apologies for the trouble, apparently it has happened to them before and they're trying to work it out. This is pretty critical since the new RageTools version *depends* on the updated RageSpline.. I've just finished updating RageTools' docs and fixing its last minute bugs but if I send the package to the Asset Store and it actually updates, it will completely break for you guys due to the stuck-on-old-version RageSpline :(

I hope Unity can sort this out as quickly as possible, the only thing I can still do is submit a slightly modified RS 1.5.1 to see if it works. Fingers crossed..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

yeah, i have experienced such behaviour with other packages, where update its available but it downloads previous version

where do you contact caitlyn, because every email i send to assetstore@unity3d.com goes into void , i have tried to contact them for asset store related stuff of my own since early october without response

22. rob_b30

rob_b30

Can I make a suggestion that you include a version control document in the package, one that states what version the package is, and maybe lists the features added after each release.

Make it easier to confirm that you actually have the right verion.

23. paraself

paraself

Yeah I do agree to add one more change log document to the package, otherwise it's hard to distinguish which version I am currently using

24. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

caitlyn [at] unity3d.com. Couldn't be more obvious :) She's quite responsive, yet it usually takes her a couple days to get back to you since, as you can imagine, she's quite busy.

Curiously that's one of the things that the Asset Store makes us fill in when we send a new version and which should be obvious and always accessible to you guys... anyways the version should be in the readme.txt of the RageSpline package, I'll double check this on the next deploy.

25. rob_b30

rob_b30

Here's what's in the readme. No mention of versioning. I've checked a few other product packages and none of them version in their readme.txt files

26. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

1.5 is not fixed (still the old version) and 1.5.1 isn't out yet... Now that 4.0 is released, do you think you could make that upgrade live as well, with the new update?

27. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Yeah, I didn't send 1.5.1, so I'll work on that today. The actual changes to make it compatible with 4.0 are pretty simple, I'm only concerned that the (newer and buggier) Asset Store tools won't be compatible with it..

This is getting ridiculous, if all else fails I'll start giving direct access to our product's FTP folder for our users - which is a shame in every possible way.

28. rob_b30

rob_b30

Any news on the asset store being fixed?

29. jeffweber

jeffweber

I downloaded the latest 1.51 release of RageSpline, updated my project, and found a show stopper issue (for me).

It seems the OutlineMesh is not working correctly anymore.

You can recreate the issue by dragging out a line ragespline, then setting it's physics to OutlineMesh and turning the physics view on in the editor. The physics does not follow the line. It looks almost as if the physics is not using the PhysicsSplitCount to build it's colliders.

Here are some screenshots that show the problem in my game.

Old Rage Spline

New Rage Spline

Any ideas?

30. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Got this after a quick check, might be related...

Open Top Down Template, change one of the colliders to Outline Mesh and got this "createHull: convex hull computation failed!"

31. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

RageSpline 1.5.1 is up, version 1.5.2 just sent to the Asset Store, with a single but important (for many, at least) change:

* Fixed compatibility issue with Unity 3.5.x

For those who got access to the private FTP, RS 1.5.2 is already up at it. I'll check the problems with the mesh colliders, I've just found a couple harmless ones that are probably age(rage?) old, but still deserve to be addressed, and can confirm the ouline mesh collider bug. Jeff, was this issue not present in the RageSpline 1.5 beta?

Due to the new 3D mode, we have a new system to order points which affects many subsystems. Alas we didn't catch this bug earlier and from what I just saw it looks like a somewhat involved fix since that's the lowest level of code in RageSpline. Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll get it fixed ASAP. Good news is that the update system in the Asset Store is quite fast now (yay!) so patches should come out quickly.

PS.: For those who got access to the private FTP, RS 1.5.2 is already up on it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

i never tried the 1.5 beta, but i can confirm that 1.51 has that mesh collider bug, btw kudos on RageFarseer

33. jeffweber

jeffweber

Hey Breno,

Unfortunately, I didn't get to test the collider in the beta. I got the name space collisions and I think one other error so I decided to wait till that was fixed. I'm crunching pretty hard on my game and didn't have the time to dig in as much as I'd like to. Guess I should have. :)

Keep me posted on a fix. I can test it as soon as you have something.

34. rob_b30

rob_b30

Am I doing something insanely wrong?

the farseer colliders / convex shape seems to provide a convex collider shape based on the spline points only, eg. if you put three points in the Spline the only collider available is a triangle??? therefore there is no realistic way to make the collision match the outline of the spline

Is this actually how it's implemented?

Rob

35. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Yes, that's the initial feature functionality. You can add more points to your shapes contour and keep its look with the new "smart add point" feature. Also, nothing stops you to have a more segmented (or completely different) shape just as the collider, in fact that's what you'll many times, to have a more simplified physics collider for best performance.

That's not ideal for every case, obviously. Still, that's just the beginning of the new physics option, next we'll add a "source" field to select points or vertices as the Farseer collider source.

36. rob_b30

rob_b30

The whole package goes bang if I insert another collider and the object I am using is destroyed. Its not something I can't fix myself by modifying the codebase, but it won't work out of the box...

37. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Thanks for the bug report, but could you give some more details? What physics mode are you using, are you destroying it at run time or edit time?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenience. To be honest this release was already over-complex and overdue so I decided to release it and iterate from there - especially because our beta-test attempts didn't really work, we only get bug reports after release. Now that we're getting real feedback we'll get it back to stable-land as fast as possible.

38. phocker

phocker

just bought ragetools and got mathfx error. it was suggested to re-install ragespline, which i tried but I am getting the following error message:

Fatal Error!

type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find("library/metadata") != 0

this causes a bug report, and forces me to quit -- oh yeah, there is an added bonus that i cannot open up the project again (good thing I backed up first)

;)

anyway, wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if there is a fix.

I am running unity 3.5.6f4 on Mac-Mini

thanks all

39. ScottyB

ScottyB

I am also getting this fatal error when I try to upgrade from RageSpline 1.4 to 1.5.2 in a current project I'm working on and when trying to import RageSpline into a completely new project.

Running Unity 3.5.6f4 on Windows 7 64bit.

I have tried deleting the unitypackage that the Asset Store downloads, then redownloading it through the Asset Store and then finally trying to import it and that makes no difference.

For now, I'll continue to run 1.4.

40. phocker

phocker

is there anyway i can get 1.4 -- or is the new ragetools incompatible with that version too? i really wanted to try out ragetools as i have some svg stuff i wanted to work on -- not in a big hurry tho.

41. ScottyB

ScottyB

Sorry, I can't help you. Once you've updated an asset in the asset store, I don't believe there is a way to get an old version, except by contacting the asset author (MaDDoX in this case). I'm just lucky I have a backup of my project with 1.4 in it.

In regards to RageTools, I'm not sure which versions are compatible with which versions of RageSpline as I don't use RageTools. We'll have to wait for MaDDoX to reply to this thread, which shouldn't take too long as he is quite good when it comes to customer service.

42. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

The Asset Store most probably still hasn't updated to 1.5.2 so you're still on 1.5.1 (compatible with Unity 4 only, my mistake so apologies). Please check the readme.txt file in your RageSpline folder to find the version number. Independently of the Asset Store process, I'll send the 1.5.2 package (or the older version) to any of our users wanting for it, just send me an e-mail with your Asset Store product proof of purchase to contact [at] freakow.com. For clarification, the RageTools and RageTools Pro asset store versions are still the older ones (1.1.3 and 1.0.3 respectively), compatible with Unity 3.5. RageTools Standard and Pro Releases x.4 are only available to our private forum users and are still Unity 4 only, I'm working on them to make them compatible with 3.5 - RageTools already done, Pro is next.

Thanks for your patience as we work around those quirks - with so much kicking in at once in the products and a backwards-incompatible new Unity release, I'd be naive to think this would be painless. But we'll get there, bear with us :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  43. phocker

phocker

so if i understand correctly RageTools 1.1.3 is compatible with RageSpline 1.5.2?

so i just need to get that update and all should be goo in the world?

thanks.

44. phocker

phocker

Maddox, the version in the readme states that it is 1.5.2, yet I still receive the error trying to import to my 3.5 project. Any suggestions?

-----

Thank you for purchasing RageSpline!
    -- Current Version: 1.5.2 (changelog at www.ragespline.com)

45. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

That one got me befuddled, as I've exported it straight from Unity 3.5.. I'll make some more tests later before sending 1.5.3 to the AS. Changelog:
    - Fixed bug with the outline mesh collider physics option
    - Some refresh-mesh speed improvements
    - Added many Farseer Physics options:
    - Lock to Density, makes the physics split count equal to the vertex count
    - Points Only, the previous versions default option
    - Split Count, how many times the outline should be segmented
    - Physics Offset, works just the same as in the other options. Due to the specific Farseer triangulator used with it (Bayazit), it might become unstable on larger values with multiple self-intersections

46. jeffweber

jeffweber

These updates are sounding good! :)

47. FireproofWater

FireproofWater

I had the same problem. I'm not sure if this is what fixed it for me, but I made a brand new scene with no ragespline components in it, and then did the update. Let me know if that works.

On a side note, I am not sure if this is a new bug, but when I focus on a ragespline object (double click in Hierarchy or press F key), it zooms way out. I checked the bounds for the mesh renderer, and they are (2000.0, 2000.0, 2000.0), so maybe that's the culprit.

EDIT: I think I may have found it. I'll PM you Maddox.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  48. phocker

phocker

i would love to try that -- unfortunately after the import the editor goes into a loop and i must do a force quit to kill it -- trying to open the same project encounters the same problem -- error message and locking -- i will just have to wait for the next update i guess.

;(

49. sabba2u

sabba2u

I do have the Fatal Error! problem too, but I think I know what the problem is.

After you error out, go back into your project directory and delete everything but assets folder. Temp, Library, etc... Now when you load up you will get some errors:

Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Code/FarseerTriangulator.cs(1,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Poly2Tri' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

So we are missing the poly2tri triangulation script. Now there is a repository for it, but I'm just not sure of the right version to grab...

50. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Lttldude , I think that's caused by the 3D mode feature, chances are your changes would break it - but I'll double check it later. As for the darned Fatal Error! I guess I've finally traced it, has got to do with the Serialized Settings of the FarseerComponents folder. Your error messages gave me the hint, thanks! Today I've submitted 3 different versions of RageSpline 1.5.3, this one I've tried the exported package in Unity 3.5 and it worked fine.

Apologies for the down time, I hope the improvements make up for the wait :) If you guys have any trouble, in the Asset Store make sure you click the button right next to "import" then click "redownload and import". Then click 'Download' in the window that shows up next.