Search Unity

RagePixel - Pixelart Toolkit for Unity (preview)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Jan 3, 2012.

1. keely

keely

Better link to the ragepixel.com. I'm not important :)

2. robin_notts

robin_notts

Both oddgoos and keelys games are great. Both look and sound good.

3. ericraue

ericraue

I also used RagePixel for my Ludum Dare entry. It really helped me focus on making the game as I only had to deal with Unity and MonoDevelop. Wish I had time to create some animations. Looks great on my new iPad.

I came across a couple issues while using it. To display the sprite on the top island what I did was clone the instantiated GameObject of the tile the mouse hovers over and deleted it when it switched to display another one. When the clone was deleted, the original's mesh was also deleted. Even telling the sprite to rebuild it's mesh didn't work. I found where it was being deleted and removed that line of code. It worked but I noticed another issue, the tint colour of the sprites randomly changed to that of other sprites. I ended up copying the values I needed instead of copying the GameObject. Other than that it went smoothly.

keely, I noticed in your source code there is RagePixelText, any chance that will be included in the base library soon? Really wish I had that during Ludum Dare.

Too bad about the forums, there were some cool projects people posted. I was zazery on the RagePixel forums.

4. keely

keely

Hey, cool game! I'm going to give you LD rating too.

Not 100% sure what you mean by cloning, but sounds like the pointer to sharedMesh was same for both objects. Best way is to Instantiate from a prefab and not do cloning I guess. Instantiate is a little slow so if you need to do it a lot, then the best way is to Instantiate a off-camera pool at the startup and bring stuff in and out.

Yes I'm planning to release something like 0.51 soon with the text being free also. I'm not going to monetize the RagePixel now since my plans changed due to employment at Unity.

Yes it sucks. I already have the new forum up in a secret place. It's going to be public very soon.

5. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that you were dropping support for RagePixel and you were going to make it open source for someone else to, hopefully, take over. Was that true at one point?

6. keely

keely

Yes it's true. When I'm saying I'm dropping it, what I actually mean is that I can't push it the way I planned. I can still do little things here and there, but just as a hobby.

There is already code that was written by someone else (JoeOsborn) in the next update once I eventually get it out.

7. ericraue

ericraue

Thanks for the feedback.

What I mean by cloning is calling Instantiate on an existing object in the scene to duplicate it instead of on a prefab so it would maintain it's state. During the competition it sounded like a quick way of implementing the effect but I wasn't thinking about shared references as the Unity documentation for Instantiate points out.

8. keely

keely