Search Unity

RagePixel - Pixelart Toolkit for Unity (preview)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Jan 3, 2012.

1. parnell

parnell

Can I give you money now?
    Please???
    thanks!
    B

2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Awesome! I know I plan on testing RagePixel if possible.

3. Biggz

Biggz

Brilliant!

Not been programming much for the past few months and I've been following the progress of this via Twitter. I've been bitten by the bug to get back in to Unity thanks to you!

Can your next project help me with my creativity? ;)

4. keely

keely

Little bit of alcohol always helps me. ;) Proof.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. nikolic

nikolic

http://i.imgur.com/9KedG.png

The screenshot taken with Samsung Galaxy Note (1280x800). It's 16:10, yours is 15:9.

6. keely

keely

Thanks!

I guess one needs to check the resolution/ratio and apply correct values to camera. Luckily with RagePixelCamera this is going to be easy. Assuming from the arrows flying, the game did function properly.

7. Landern

Landern

Tested ragezombies on my xoom, functioned fine in game, there was a 5-10 pixel blue stripe running down the left side, probably the ratio thing.

8. keely

keely

Scene view GUI

Sprite sheet editor window

Inspector GUI

9. Jensecj

Jensecj

This is looking absolutely amazing, i can't wait!

10. keely

keely

Final twist for the logo.

Almost done with the coding. Crunching the documentation as we speak. My friend is hammering the website html. Things look promising for the Sunday launch.

11. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

eep :p

12. funshark

funshark

brillant work!
    Can't wait to use it :)

13. Biggz

Biggz

Sunday release is going to kill me, all I'll want to do is take the Monday (&Tuesday&Wednesday etc) off work to use it!

I'm glad it's so close to release though, if its anything like RageSpline it'll be brilliant!

14. keely

keely

I have set up a dedicated RagePixel forum at:

http://ragepixel.com/forum/

I have never installed phpBB or administered one before, so I would appreciate if someone tested that the registration works.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  15. iisjreg

iisjreg

Seems to work ok. Can't wait... :)

16. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Works ok for me also.

17. keely

keely

Thanks for testing everyone!

18. nullstar

nullstar

This is really excellent work, I'm looking forward to giving it a blast. Good stuff keely, keep it up.

19. iisjreg

iisjreg

RageZombie: 12 score! with a 2 zombies, 1 arrow moment.

20. keely

keely

I'm building the docs here if you wan't to sneak-a-peek

21. parnell

parnell

Can i make a small suggestion Keely?
    Could the pen size also be scaled using the [ and ] keys? Much like Photoshop does and Zbrush?
    I plan to use my tablet with this and those keys are easier to reach on a keyboard when scaling the brush size than using 1, 2, 3.

Thanks again!
    B

22. keely

keely

Roger that.

edit: btw. How does tablet work with mouse driven stuff? This is some kind of voodoo to me.

edit2: I can't seem to be able to test brackets with Windows keyboard so I'm just going to leave that code there and hope it works :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  23. Grizzlage

Grizzlage

It's all done in the tablet drivers. From my understanding with my Wacom, is that the driver will move the mouse position to the new screen coordinates when you lift and place the pen. The computer doesnt "see" the mouse move from x,y to the new position in a smooth trail like it would with a mouse. It just jumps to that new coordinate and moves from there.

Theres going to be APIs for developers to dip into to get more advance info, like pen pressure, angle etc. But for moving and clicking, the driver will map that all to standard mouse events.

24. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Hey keely, I've been mucking about with a plugin to get wacom data on my mac if you're interested I can link you to the post I made, pressure,angle, blah blah blah.

25. keely

keely

Yes please!

Pixelart stuff is pretty on/off binary drawing so not sure how I would use pressure/angle, but maybe there could use-cases.

And I could think some uses in RageSpline too. I'm going to buy me a Wacom or similar in the near future anyways.

26. keely

keely

Sounds reasonable. I was a afraid that I would need to make some kind of support for it.

27. parnell

parnell

That'd be tight if you could set up pen pressure with the opacity of the pixels. Although, pixel painting is usually more precise, so I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Thanks again for adding in the [ ].
    :)
    B

28. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

29. keely

keely

Seems to be unusable for me now, because of what Dreamora said. Can't be run in the editor :(

Kind of weird that Unity doesn't have (additional) input support for equipment like this. Don't the animators or whatever love this kind of workflow?

Maybe their use is more "niche" in an game engine editor than I though. Or maybe it's technically challenging to implement for multi-platform? Doesn't have a standard yet? Would make sense to make that input available and let people extend it to awesome things.

30. keely

keely

Had some serious disk problems with the ragepixel.com web provider, which almost ruined the launch today.

Still 6 hours left of Sunday (where I live) so plenty of time :).

31. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

What! I have to wait that long! I don't know if I can make it till then haha
    :

32. bralexlabs

bralexlabs

That sounds frustrating! But it's still the morning where I'm at, so I've got plenty of time. Just make sure you don't go to sleep before you've launched. ;) j/k

33. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm very excited for this. I think it's going to be a huge help in the 2D game department. Great work keely. :)

34. Trackpants

Trackpants

Tried it out briefly, but about to head to bed. Just a quick question.

I assume that the following 2 lines of code are a necessity in order to animate the sprites within unity.
    Code (csharp):
    1. private IRagePixel ragePixel;
    2. ragePixel = GetComponent<RagePixelSprite>();
    Was just wondering if that is true?

Apart from that question, the app (asset?) is absolutely fantastic and a very very welcome addition.

35. keely

keely

Well actually if you set "play on awake" and maybe choose a looping type, you can get something animated without any code. Think about a grass blade swinging in the wind or something like that.

But anything interactive like walking and jumping, you have to have that sort of code. However, you don't absolutely HAVE TO use the IRagePixel interface. You can also stick your nose straight into the RagePixelSprite-class, but I'm not sure you gain anything like that.

Exactly why are you asking this? Do you have some kind of problem or would like to have another kind of approach?

36. Trackpants

Trackpants

No, no problems at all, everything is working great and that's a perfectly fine approach. Was just checking that it was needed to use the animation commands, so I know whether to include it or not :)

Cheers for the speedy response

37. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm getting a script error immediately after importing the package...says " The type of namespace 'Color32' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or assembly reference?"

38. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah I think I noticed why it doesn't show up in my menus now...says it requires 3.5 and I am running 3.3 version....dang that sucks.

39. keely

keely

I had to take down the RagePixel forums now. The spambots won :(

If you have experience of setting up phpBB spam free and are willing to help, please contact me juha@juhakiili.com

40. Darkmoo

Darkmoo

You may be able to stop the spam with a captcha or something at the time of registering.

Also, I have been playing around with RagePixel and I absolutely love it and I'm thinking of picking up RageSpling. However, in RagePixel I'm curious how you did the arrow collision in the time lapse, was it with unity's built in detection or did you code it yourself. Right now I'm coding it myself, but I'm getting stuck fairly often since I'm still new to scripting.

41. keely

keely

I tried all the captchas available. I think I'm trying some kind of custom Q&A style check for every posting next.

I used standard Unity physics and box colliders in the RageZombies. Not perfect for 2D, but in that case it was good enough.

42. Darkmoo

Darkmoo

Next to learn procedural generation! (right now just picking a random number between 0 and 8 and if it's 1 it draws a block)

Also, from what I have been reading
    http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/keycaptcha/ seems like a good way to stop spam bots from registering (and you make some money too). I used to run a forum a few years ago and upon registering we had them answer a simple Q&A style question and it seemed to keep the spam bots out fairly well. Right now I have a small forum with only 86 users and I haven't seen a single spam bot (using a free forum host now though) using http://www.forumotion.com/ as the forum host in case you are intrested.

43. Dabeh

Dabeh

The transform panel seems to be default, it doesn't modify itself to the one that is used by ragepixel. Any ideas?

Also, love ragepixel. Do you happen to know how to fix the black spacing? (Those are my only two problems!)

44. Enygma_6

Enygma_6

Shame about the dedicated RagePixel forum, hopefully you can figure something out to keep out the spammers.
    At least there's an active thread here to discuss things.

I've been playing around with the RagePixel add-on for the last week and a half, and have been enjoying it. It's a simple but powerful tool, and it's fun to get back into the 2D sprite realm after spending most of my time doing 3D things in Unity.

I guess this is as good a place as any to exhibit the results of my weekend codefest: http://www.omnivorousgaming.com/games/PixelTest.html
    It's not a fully functional game by any means, but I'm hoping to use this as the basis for something bigger in a truly old-school feel. Mostly I was working on things I felt would be important infrastructure elements to something bigger, expanding from what I found on the RagePixel site.
    controls for my demo:
    arrow keys control the character sprite (thanks for the Walking Animation Demo!)
    spacebar cycles through a set of tests I did on making a textbox control system (can manage multiple textboxes, add/delete/clear lines or whole boxes) using sprites - each textbox has a background sprite, and every letter is another sprite (using a single spritemap for the font, with each frame corresponding to an ASCII character)
    number keys 0 - 5 will change the background. This is a tile-based background system (15 x 10 tiles per room), where every tile is a sprite and the room tilemap is pre-defined.

Next up is to work on a collider system to check when my friendly little slime character hits something or finds the edge of the screen.
    And then to populate the rooms with items, monsters and NPCs. But that's still a little ways out. Dragon Warrior inspired Legend of Zelda style tribute games don't happen overnight ;)

45. oddgoo

oddgoo

46. keely

keely

Cool! How did you combine RagePixel with that perspective camera? Two cameras?

47. keely

keely

48. oddgoo

oddgoo

No, I just had a scene for making the pixel art, and disabled the RagePixelCamera completely on the proper game scene.
    I will definitely invest in your other products when I get the chance!

My biggest struggle with RagePixel was the lack of copy and paste of pixels (Understandable) and the lack of Duplicate for a whole sprite.

PD: Just rated your game =)

49. keely

keely

You can copy-paste pixels in select-mode with ctrl-alt-C and ctrl-alt-V. Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks! I'll return the favor soon.

50. oddgoo

oddgoo

Wow, I must have done something wrong with the select tool =P, nevermind that.

I will publish the Post-Mortem soon where I credit RagePixel again (I first mentioned it on my intent-to-participate post) and provide a link to it. Or do you want me to link your personal website instead?