Search Unity

Radial Blur Image Effect

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by metervara, Jul 12, 2007.

1. metervara

metervara

Hi.

Working on a Radial Blur Effect but I think I need a different approach.

Started from the existing Image Effects - It's using a modified version of the VortexEffect shader (could probably optimized) and a script copied together from a few of the other Image Effect Scripts.

It can do both Spin Zoom radial blurs, but it's pretty slow - It's rendering 20 passes for each frame, which is probably pretty stupid...

Anybody got an idea for another aproach or ways of improving this one?

/P

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Not much of any help from me but at least an acknowledgement. :) This is about how I'd do the effect, too. (I did a zoom blur like it.) It should just end up fill/blend rate limited as far as I can see.

There was also a fragment program version, but that meant a fixed amount of iterations and not many of them, especially if you try to support low end cards with it. It might be something to try, especially if this is for some installation piece where you get good hardware. :)

-Jon

3. metervara

metervara

Thanks Jonathan.

It's for a one time event, and will probably run on my laptop (Macbook pro 2,33GHz Inter Core 2 Duo).

Guess the fill rate limitation is something I'll have to live with. One thought though is to skip the spin effect and use a much simpler shader (like Motionblur or even simpler), without vertex/fragment programs - any ideas on how much that would improve performance? There's some sin/cos and a MultiplyUV function that I suspect could be slow?

/P