Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

RadeonRays.dll?

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by Reanimate_L, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I just noticed there's a RadeonRays.dlls in the unity installation folder, is it activated by default? if it's not is there a way to activate it?

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

so basically it's activated by default?

4. Mauri

Mauri

Should be, I guess.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If your bake times are 10 times shorter then it is, otherwise you will have to wait for a later beta. Just because it's there, doesn't mean it's used. I tested it again for this post and I'm quite sure it's not being used right now as of beta 2018.2 b3.

TooManySugar and Mauri like this.
  6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It's not ready yet, and probably won't be for a couple more months. You can expect us to make a lot of noise once it becomes stable enough so a public preview is warranted and initiated.

7. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Thanks for the info, i'm just wondering why it's there :)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity do this all the time, they push changes before they are available to end users, it is business as usual.

9. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @Reanimate_L

The actual reason why RadeonRays.dll is already there is no secret. We can be totally transparent about it.

When developers are working on large features such as a new lightmapping backend, it is hard to maintain the codebase. Needless to say, new features are being developed in development branches, and in order to facilitate the merging process later, some parts of the code are already merged. At this point, the codebase for Unity is like a living organism so pushing some stuff early on ensures less headaches later.

In this case, libraries for RadeonRays are pushed first, so the developers can focus on other important tasks without worrying about the maintenance of library files. And yes, some changes are being pushed early on because retrospectively, pushing large and new features as a gigantic changeset proved to be a bad practise.

In an ideal Unity world, everything is a package and all the features are modular. We're already moving there with Scriptable Render Pipeline. Eventually, that's also the goal for lighting. It just takes time and until then, we're slowly pushing it under the ice but clearly, it doesn't go unnoticed to some trained eyes :)

I hope this clarifies the issue. Thanks!

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Excited to see whats coming in the next few months
    That gives me a few months to save up for a new GPU :)

11. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

will still be a 2018.2 feature as planned?.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Where was it said it would be a 2018.2 feature? I do not see it on the roadmap for 2018.2

13. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

In this video's description

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

"Coming in Preview with Unity 2018.2." is indeed on the video description and this is Unity's mistake. They need to link to roadmap or word it better. They might still bring it in preview during 2018.2 - after 2018.2 is launched (this covers 2018.3 beta, after all).

But needs better wording so people can adjust expectations.

For anyone reading, your best indication is the roadmap: https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

15. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

You probably right. I was eagerly waiting for this to come even in preview mode during this beta. Been without bake a big map since 4.7 and I really whant to upgrade my project but without proper light baking I won´t move.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I actually went full realtime for now, with a view of returning to baking when GPU lightmapper comes out. It's the same problem with asmdefs - I have simply not bothered with it until incremental compiler. Because as an indie, I face the choice of ruining my productivity (the most valuable indie resource) or making things a bit S*** for a while and hoping Unity cures it.

Thankfully the electrical boffins at Unity are on the job.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Same and I would like to point out that realtime lighting has had remarkably decent performance so far, way better than I had assumed. Its also had the knock on effect of making me be more precious with performance from the get go, as there is not a bake step that will magically remove some of the heavy lifting before building.

18. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Sorry for that, the remark has been removed.

MadeFromPolygons and hippocoder like this.
  19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think its coming in 2018.3, pretty sure about it!

hippocoder likes this.
  20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3224/geforce-gtx-1180

And this video card that will likely come out around the same time should speed up gpu rendering very nicely. with 16 gb ram and 12 terraflops fp32 performance.

and Amd will surely also have a nice new card that will be coming out.

hippocoder likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep although have to lock this now (it's not a 2018.2 thingy - but that card... is gonna be the bees knees!)

Reanimate_L likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.