Search Unity

► Racing Game Template ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

RGT only uses the base EVP demo vehicle, after doing the setup instructions in the video you should be able to build up the vehicle prefabs following the EVP documentation without any issues, you can add components, change script properties to tweak your physics, etc. They are essentially EVP vehicle prefabs pre-configured with the RGT components required to let them work with the project.

Justin_Wingfall likes this.
  2. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Hello, Stephen if you dont mind me asking,hows the progress on 2.0? Or any betas or minor updates? Thanks, just wanted to ask, if you dont mind.

Stephen_O likes this.
  3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, I'm currently working on AI for IK Driver vehicle controller - this will be the base AI used in the remake. I'm not planning a beta at this point.

4. blakeysal

blakeysal

another developer full of crap got this Jan 17, 2018 not one update sad person i would not hold your breath
    RadioFolk he takes your money answers 1 or 2 emails then dont answer your emails again i wish i never brought is crap but i wont be doing it again
    Stephen_O were my refund

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't appreciate being harassed, please don't use this forum for toxic discussions or instigate responses from other users. If you have a question you can ask anytime, I always answer.

By the way our last email thread contained 32 messages ending with you requesting custom work work that I declined - please don't lie and say I ignored you.

I've mentioned previously in this thread as well as our emails that RGT is done with development and that a brand new asset is under development - it doesn't just come into existence over night.. planning, testing, and development are all deeply involved tasks that require time and attention to fine tune.

I've also been pushing lots of updates to IK Driver recently, including integrations for other 3rd party physics packages. This also requires planning, testing, and development time. Those updates have always been available to RGT users and are part of the base for the new project.

If you'd like to provide constructive feedback, I'm open to it, but your tone is far from constructive.

6. blakeysal

blakeysal

1 thing i am not a liar

2 i am not harassing you

3 12 email i sent u got back to me and they were about a bug with your kit and u thanked me for then for pointing out

4 my last email to u was 05/03 and i never heard a thing again

5 4 simple little things i ask u to put in your kit and i offered to pay u for it
    and why so many updates to IK Driver wen u can not even put a respawn car system in it all you say is in the next update

6 and last time u update your software was Sep 22, 2017 10 months ago and no update u work it out mate so i will not be coming back on ere because now i no what u r like now mate so bye

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

I have replaced both the car and the player models as per your instruction videos and everything seems to be working well apart from one little thing. I have set the IK Target Look to be exactly in front of the player. See the x value in the first screen shot.

When I then enter play mode something moves the IK Target Look off to the left thereby causing the camera to look to the right rather then straight ahead. See the x value in the second screenshot.

Something seems to be moving the IK Target Look but I haven't been able to find out what yet. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction (pun intended) :)

Attached Files:

Stephen_O likes this.
  8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I can help point you in the right direction ↓ ↓ ↓

The driver's avatar script controls the look position and adjusts it to the right/left as you steer. There are some IK Head Look Settings on the RG_IKDriver script, you can adjust the Default Look X Position to get your look target into place. You might also want to try adjusting the other values a little too to control how far the head can look when steering.
    Defau;tLookPosition.jpg

9. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

Aha! That's probably where a driver seated on the left hand seat would want to look. My driver sits in the middle, so would want to look ahead. While I have your attention. I am wiring up go-karts to your product. right foot pedal accelerate, left foot pedal brake any suggestions as to how implement that? Or should I just move the appropriate IK targets to the correct pedal positions (ignoring right in the case of the brake target) and link them to the left & right foot avatar points?

Stephen_O likes this.
  10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm not 100% sure that it will work without needing a code edit or a little hacking around, if you find a way to make it work.. The updates in the IK Driver asset do have a lot of improvements over the version included in RGT - including allowing you to select which hand or foot to use for gas, brake, and shifting.

I'll do some tests tonight and most likely will make a write up for integration of the latest IK Driver with RGT as this might be better suited for that purpose.

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I setup a guide to use the latest version of the IK Driver asset with an RGT player vehicle: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver/1.6/en/topic/avatar-rig-racing-game-template

I'll have an update for IK Driver submitted shortly, not sure when it will be available; you can email me stephen@turnthegameon.com and I can send you the script you'll need for the integration sooner.

..or you can just copy/paste and make the integration script yourself, it only establishes the gear text reference:

Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace TurnTheGameOn.IKDriver
    2. {
    3.     using UnityEngine;
    4.     using UnityEngine.UI;
    5.     public class IKD_RGT_Support : MonoBehaviour
    6.     {
    7.         public RG_CarController carController;
    8.         void Start ()
    9.         {
    10.             IKD_IKDriver avatarController = GetComponent<IKD_IKDriver>();
    11.             avatarController.gearText = GameObject.Find(carController.gearTextName).GetComponent<Text>();
    12.         }    
    13.     }
    14. }
    With the updated IK Driver you'll get some new avatar ik options to set the shift hand and clutch, brake and gas foot; you can choose left, right or none.

IK Driver Avatar Targets.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  12. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

Wow! You're pretty awesome man. I'll give that a go today.

Stephen_O likes this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

A fix has been submitted for Unity 2018.2; the legacy networking API was removed and a line of code still used one of those classes causing an error.

15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.7.3 submitted - unfortunately this is for a feature removal - it was originally a requested feature that was added, but is now no longer functional to to security enhancements in Windows 10.

• Fix - Removed LAN games as a multiplayer option. Windows firewall is currently blocking LAN connections between computers, until there is an alternative method for establishing a connection to another LAN device without disabling firewalls this feature will no longer be available.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  16. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Just stumbled upon this thread and this asset looks so nice.

Keeping a close look over this awesome asset:)

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. wilxr

wilxr

any news about version 2?

Stephen_O likes this.
  18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have anything that's completed to share yet, I've stopped doing dev logs for various reasons - they seem to waste time, be counterproductive and sometimes cause people to be upset at me.

IK Driver AI is the current focus, it's coming along very well. I don't have an ETA yet - this is a major piece required for the vehicle system and likely the last major component to IK Driver before it's considered complete.

19. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Maybe a questions that has been answered before (looking to buying this template to replace a closed source solution).
    I'm looking for some specific type of races for my game.
    - Driving from point A to B (sprint, no laps)
    - Normal lap based competition (laps, circuit).
    Are both supported?

Stephen_O likes this.
  20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

A lap based circuit is configured by default, though some settings can be adjusted so it can be used for a point to point race as well - I've outlined the steps to configure point to point races here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/racing-game-template.353892/page-7#post-3361491

cygnusprojects likes this.
  21. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Is there any documentation I can check before buying?

Stephen_O likes this.
  22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Most of the RGT documentation is video: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy0oHZ9DiHn81rri8OBJ0CNd4HFrVjq-L

IK Driver is included, that has online written/video documentation that is still growing - it will be the base vehicle controller for the new racing asset I'm developing and is currently a stand alone asset: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver?l=en

The new racing asset will have written documentation similar to how IK Driver documentation is prepared once it's finished and released - but this is still in the future so not really relevant at this time..

23. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Man, wanna to buy this asset but when going through the complete forum I'm noticing you are working on a 2.0 version based upon an open world (which is also the concept of my project). Is there a way to get access to the beta once you've bought the current asset store version? I don't dare to ask for an ETA of the 2.0 as almost everyone did it already and I know mastery takes its time to complete. ;)

Edit: well, just bought it, will see how it goes from here.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Once the asset becomes playable I'm going to work toward getting all the pieces pulled together for a possible minimum feature product launch, so everyone can start providing feedback while I work on fine tuning additional features that may not be finished. I'm not sure how this will be distributed yet, likely through the asset store itself.

IK Driver is pretty much the beta at this point and a download should be unlocked after purchasing the template. It's only a vehicle controller and animated driver system but will be the base controller for the new asset, there's also an integration guide if you want to use the latest IK Driver with the template.

I'm currently working on finalizing an AI system for IK Driver, this is the last big piece for IK Driver and once it's ready I can begin focusing on using it for a base and building the rest of the project pieces that are not yet made.

25. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Thanks for the honest update and future insight, didn't know an integration guide was available towards the current template, will definetly check that out! I downloaded the IK Driver asset without problems after I purchased the template. In the progress of converting my cars to IK Driver.

Stephen_O likes this.
  26. PsychoPsam

PsychoPsam

Hi,

We are relying on the multiplayer working through LAN as we bought this package from you to teach students to make multiplayer racing games. How can we get this to work please? Because of our network and that it might block ports required for multiplayer if LAN is not supported, and the fact we want to just connect two stand alone machines together without connecting to the internet, we need this to support LAN. What other method of multiplayer can we use? Hope you can assist. Maybe I can get the earlier version? Hope you can help.

Andy H.

27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Andy,

I do apologize but I removed the feature because a customer insisted I refund him after I spent a great deal of time trying to find a way to resolve his issue, his reason being "turning off both firewalls is not a solution" .

I do think it was nice to have the feature, when it was initially added in an earlier update the firewall was not blocking the connections. I can't control the way windows firewalls work, nor do I have the knowledge to be able to bypass them so I'll avoid this type of network functionality moving forward and focus more on game play.

Since this broke your reason to use the project, If you like, send me an email with the invoice number and I will provide a refund; or I may be able to send you the previous version when LAN was still available.

28. PsychoPsam

PsychoPsam

Sounds great if we can roll back to an earlier version. It's just for educational purposes, so it doesn't have to be the latest version. I'll email you from my work email once I get the order number from IT.

29. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Stephen_O ,

I converted my cars to the newest version of IK driver (to be ready for version 2 of the template). I noticed however in your guideline you alter an existing network car from the template with the IK driver. Is there an workflow, things I need to do, to get my IK driver car setup for the old template? With other words can you point me to what components are needed for the template to work with Ik driver 2 cars?

Stephen_O likes this.
  30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have an integration guide to use the full IK Driver Vehicle Controller Prefab as a replacement for RGT player vehicle prefabs; only the driver avatar is supported, which is where a lot of improvements were made (much of the actual vehicle controller from IK Driver is very similar to the RGT vehicle controller) - the only way to support the full IK Driver vehicle controller would be by making a large amount of script, UI, other logic edits and prefab reference changes, so that's not supported or recommended.

The full IK Driver Vehicle Controller is going to be the default controller for the remake, keep in mind the remake is going to be a completely new project so you will not be able to upgrade an existing RGT project to NewAsset project.

31. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Ok, change of plans. Will continue converting my cars and start with the freeroom aspect, hoping the new racing template will be done when that's finished.

32. volfase

volfase

when update is coming

Stephen_O likes this.
  33. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

any news????

Stephen_O likes this.
  34. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Stephen_O,
    can we have a small update on the progress regarding the 2.0 version of the asset?

Stephen_O likes this.
  35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hey everyone.. I'm still working on finalizing the AI system for IK Driver, which is mostly done besides needing to get obstacle avoidance and route junctions configured. New AI vehicle prefabs (configured for both left/right side avatar steering) are made and added to the package, they use an easy to set route path with junction support - the demo scene is currently being built. There have also been some other misc improvements like avatar animation, specifically torso lean in/out and rotation to make him not look stiff. I'll have a full list of all changes when the update is submitted.

The next IK Driver update with AI will be released once the AI features I mentioned above are complete, demo scene configured, and online manual updated.

Same as before, this is the last big piece for IK Driver. Once it's ready I can begin focusing on using it for a base and building the rest of the project pieces that are not yet made.

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Here's a sample of the new AI vehicle controller with improved torso animation driving on a looped circuit.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  37. fredastaire

fredastaire

I purchased your asset and was wondering if implementation of qualifying could be used in game along with a championship?

38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Championships and qualifiers are not included in the template; I will be adding additional game modes in the remake, this is one of them.

If you want something like that, you'd have to create a single player race as a qualifier, then add some logic to handle your end of race data and a way to use it. Any required changes to the actual race scene logic would likely need to be made in RG_SceneManager script, which handles all the race logic and tracking.

39. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Stephen_O,

do you have any update on:
    - the integration of IK driver with the Racing Game Template? For a POC I think I have to integrate it myself as my cars are all converted to IK Driver setups and I want to move forward with the project. I'm guessing I'll have to start with making sure RG_Car controller and IK driver can 'talk' to get this moving? Any other hints, tricks and tips you are able to share?
    - I reported a bug in IK driver that the gears don't match the values in the inspector when driving a car. You confirmed that this needed some work from you. How is that update going?

40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi @cygnusprojects

I don't recommend this. The full IK Driver vehicle controller prefabs are not supported with RGT, this is the main reason why I'm doing a remake, it needs to be easier to swap vehicle/character controllers within the racing game system. I've spent the last few years iterating and improving on the design of the vehicle controller outside of the template to the point where the code/features became very different - RGT vehicle prefabs were designed specifically to be used in the template where the IK Driver prefabs are standalone drag and drop prefabs with their own standard/mobile input configuration and able to be used anywhere. Rather than trying to reintegrate everything I chose to start fresh and make sure the project is designed to better support a modular system approach.

This is currently planned to be fixed in the next update when AI integration is released, I don't have an ETA and am still in development - however that update won't be compatible with the previous version since so much is changing for AI support and other optimizations/scripting improvements. If you need this fixed for the version you have email me stephen@turnthegameon.com and I can prioritize a fix for the current version and mail it back to you.

-
    P.S.
    Just FYI, I do have a full time job and do asset work in my spare time. I wish I could do this full time and make updates faster but unfortunately there's not nearly enough money from the asset store to make a living, I apologize if you're expecting a faster turn around. This is basically my passion project that I will eventually get across the finish line. Anytime you need a fix sooner than later, ping me in an email and I'll prioritize it.

41. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

That was my underlying question, would it be beneficial to use the existing race game template? I don't need the actual modular approach right now. Remaking all my cars for the RGT is an option but that means I do have to start over. Before doing that I'll fiddling with both assets and see how it goes. In such a case I don't have to blame myself from not trying.

AI is definitely something I will need but seem my previous comment it could be I have to redo all the cars anyway (but then most likely without the IK driver asset). So currently 'in review' and will get in touch in case things turn out the right way for me and a fix on the current IK driver would be beneficial to the project.

Same for me, that's why I want to actually work on a project when I do have time and in the 'flow'. I can relate on how spares time can be, so now worries and definitely no need to apologize.

Stephen_O likes this.
  42. Suki-W

Suki-W

cygnusprojects: The idea is to be able to allow rgt to be a lot more flexible, so we will be able to racing vehicles, jetski, ships, planes, motorcycles, hell even cubes. I like that idea a lot, the whole limit to 1 or 2 controllers really does hold this template back from it's potential and it will attract more customers. Your car controller will still work, but I'm sure a lot of other customers are not sold by the default controller and the goes for evp controller as well. Great controllers, but still....more options are needed.

Also, I really do miss the old menu screen for racing game template, the new one looks like like a straight up UI system build strictly for mobile racing games, looks less unique in my opinion, hopefully it will be easier to customize or at less revert back to original template.

Other then that keep up the good work, I really do hope this template gets full controller support, and add hopefully the mechanics and features are more of a priority, then anything else.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  43. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Suki-W, I do agree with you that making RGT more component based is they way to go forward. However I don't actually need it for my project. So I'm integrating both as they are in their current state myself and was fishing for some pointers, tips and tricks from Stephen. I can only agree that Stephen is doing a great job and does deliver great support. Thanks @Stephen_O for fixing the gearbox, works like a charm.

Stephen_O likes this.
  44. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Egem2015,

I do work as efficiently as possible on my assets with my spare time while working a full time job - I'm currently working on AI for IK Driver which is the last major requirement for the remake. Also, I announced the remake would be free to all current users in addition to being a brand new asset.

For you to get my future work completely free and ask that I should make it as fast as possible is not really fair to me. Great things are not built over night, but with proper time and planning - I'm striving to remake something completely that took me 3 years to build the first time around.

You do have the right to your opinion I'm sorry you've lost hope in my work.

45. Suki-W

Suki-W

I'm assuming since in the remake we will have the option not to use IK driver, and use our own Avatar animations, like if the vehicle is a ship, running on land, or cube. Is the AI/Driver based on the avatar itself, or the most importantly the AI itself, that will calculate waypoints, etc...?

Stephen_O likes this.
  46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Suki, I hope this is clear, let me know if you still have a question.

The vehicle AI will be part of the IK Driver asset, specifically part of the vehicle controller itself, and included in the remake as the default setup; it's pretty specific to controlling that vehicle controller and telling it what waypoint to drive toward. I don't think there will be an easy way for me to make AI universally work for any type of controller. Once it's finished I will spend some time testing to see if it's possible to use with some of the vehicle controller I've worked with in the past, like EVP, RCC or NWH. I might setup a simple implementation using a cube .

The avatar prefab is modular and optional, it's currently only setup for driving a car and has integration for NWH and RCC - at this point I don't know if it will support other types of non car vehicles.

47. Suki-W

Suki-W

So, what you are saying is the the idea of motorcycles, humanoid,etc....is out the window now? :/
    And implementation using a cube is still a coin toss? I just need a straight up answer so I will know where to go from here, because the main reason I bought this before 2.0, was the fact I would be able to race something other then, cars.

So, 2.0, will be consist of 2 more car controllers, and not to be a-hole, with all do respect, but a openworld environment 99% are not going to use in a retail game, because it will be label as a asset flip anyways. Dude, I paid money for this.

To try to make the best of it because I no a refund is out of the question, at this point. If I can get these couple of things I'll make the best of it.

1. Full controller support.
    2. The old menu system(multi- screen backgrounds) for each stage select, options, intro, main menu, etc..... so it dont look like a straight up mobile port.
    3. Respawn system, if the player falls off track out vehicle is destroyed.

If I can get these 3 things, it will be water up the bridge. :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The current racing game template has a lot of pieces hard coded together, making it difficult for any user to replace pieces they don't want without knowing how to code since they are mostly dependent on each other.

The major goal for the remake is aimed at fixing this by modularizing the systems, prefabs and components that make up the template so a user can remove the pieces they don't want without needing to edit code to remove dependencies to those systems, prefabs and components. So for example you'll be able to swap RCC, EVP or NWH vehicle controllers for the player controller and the race system will still track vehicles after configuring them properly - rather then me needing to write custom integrations for each asset, that's just not sustainable for me.

I've mentioned this in the past. If you want to replace the AI vehicle prefabs with another type of controller, you will need your own AI for that. The AI I'm building is for IK Driver - Every developer creates controllers differently, so I really don't have a way of making generic AI for bikes, characters, boats, etc at this point. If you want to add your own AI controllers you will also need to add your own logic to help them navigate. I will try to include something basic with IK Driver that you can adapt to other controller, but this is not started or promised at this point - it's a lower priority than getting the remake up and running with the default controller.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the only player and AI controllers that will be included will be from the IK Driver asset.

1. Yes the UI will include support for controller/keyboard input. Unity 2019.1 Unity will introduce a new input system, I'm likely going to target this system for input - I won't have any details until I get my hands on it and start building. IK Driver currently does include controller input support - if a feature you're looking for is missing from it let me know in that asset's thread and it will be added.

2. UI will be completely redesigned.

3. Lost player respawn will be included.

Suki-W likes this.
  49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm posting this here too since I'm not sure how many follow the IK Driver forum thread.

Most all of the primary development for the next major update is complete, I'm working on setting up demo scenes, documentation and final bug testing before IK Driver 1.7 is ready for release; maybe it will be ready sometime in the next week or two. I still want to improve and add so many more things but those will get there eventually in future updates.

Here's a preview of 16 AI vehicles all using the IK Driver avatar, they are using 2 routes (one for each lane) and a sensor system to determine when to change lanes (merge into the other route) for obstacle avoidance and overtaking. Using this strategy the avoidance feels much more natural compared to the previous AI implementation used in Racing Game Template. The route system uses waypoint junctions for changing lanes, this also allows for dynamically changing the AI vehicles route to a new alternate path; some more testing will need to be done to evaluate a best workflow. The sensors are also volume based instead of just a line raycast, which was not reliable for properly detecting obstacles since it could often go through many objects in most situations.

The performance feels pretty good, but I should still stress test it a bit more to check the limit. Lots of optimization has gone into this update, it seems like it's paying off, the vehicle models themselves are not too optimized compared to a best case scenario when preparing final art for a project, they all have multiple pieces and materials.

As a heads up for anyone that might already be planning on buying the asset but does not yet own it, there will be a price increase with this update.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    AbhishekRaj and Suki-W like this.
  50. egem2015

egem2015

Hi Stephen.

How are you? i hope you are doing fine.

i am deleting previous message and i owe an apology . sorry.

because you put big effort for this asset against you had a full time job.

Your new demo is great.

i hope you can release 2.0 soon.

thanks for your great effort.

King Regards.

Stephen_O likes this.