Search Unity

► Racing Game Template ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Sep 9, 2015.

1. CecilB

CecilB

Morning, once again I thank you for your thoughts and answers on this, very much appreciated and certainly settles my mind somewhat one a few things.

I'll look forward to your 2.0 version also ;).

Kind Regards

Stephen_O likes this.
  2. volfase

volfase

when 2.0 will come out

Stephen_O likes this.
  3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have an ETA yet, I just finished moving and should be back to posting progress updates soon. There's still a good amount of work to wrap up. You can follow this thread or subscribe to my YouTube channel for updates as I go.

I'm currently working on improving IK Driver, this will be the new default vehicle controller, that update should be ready soon; the asset is also free with purchase of the current Racing Game Template.

Once IK Driver is finished, I'll focus on wrapping up the demo scene I was showing in the previous posts, then begin using it as a base for all the new code.

4. xyz3122

xyz3122

Hello I have purchased your racing kit Racing Game Template
    Because I'm a beginner in game design, I'm not very familiar with installing this step.
    I found that after installing this suite there is no way to execute the game.
    Seems to be buying another set of Edy's Vehicle Physics. Will this be the normal way to implement this game suite?

Stephen_O likes this.
  5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, the template is a pre-configured project that is ready to build, it does not require any additional packages to start.

After importing the project you can open then the build settings and build the demo scenes as an executable.

If you do want to use Edy's Vehicle Physics as alternate physics there's a short introduction video you can follow to get started:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  6. xyz3122

xyz3122

3.PNG Sorry, I already check again. The game kit you provided is still not performing the game screen you provided on the ad.
    A description of the download game kit is included in the RGT EVP support Read_me,The content says it needs import Edy ' s Vehicle physics to perform this function , Select "Window/RGT Settings" to open the "Racing Game Template Project Editor Window", many common project settings can be chamged here.
    I am not found " RGT Settings"at Window option , can you please answer the solution?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

It's ok, the problem is that you've imported 'EVP Support' package but are not using EVP, this is causing the error you see in the lower left hand corner. Because you have a compiler error, the custom editors won't load.

Since this is a new project, the easiest way to fix this is to delete all the assets in your `Assets` folder - then reimport Racing Game Template.

You don't need to import the 'EVP Support' package or use anything in the 'EVP Support' folder unless you are using EVP https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/edy-s-vehicle-physics-403 .

8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Here's a video that will show how to get started with the project after importing Racing Game Template, you can follow the same steps.

It's part of a full playlist of videos that have other useful demonstartions:

9. xyz3122

xyz3122

Thank you! I can use it normally after re-installation. I have much more to learn about game design. Thank you!

10. AcidBurn76085

AcidBurn76085

CarCamera is not following the player car

11. Dede543

Dede543

Hi, I am interested in buying the asset but i have one question before buying the asset.
    actually, i played the demo and race mode and free roam included single player and only free roam mode in multiplayer.
    so my question is does the asset come with race mode included in multiplayer?
    thank you

Stephen_O likes this.
  12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

Thanks for your interest.

You are right, multiplayer is limited to free roam only.

You'll need to build the online race mode yourself if that's something you want, I only did syncing of the base vehicle controller, animations and custom preferences as an example of how to use Unity networking.

Multiplayer races might be added in the remake I'm currently writing, but I can't say for sure at this time.

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver Version 1.6.5 submitted - all RGT users get this asset as a free upgrade, go grab it and check it out if you're interested!

• Improved scripting logic for multiple scripts, including vehicle controller and avatar.
    • Improved shift animation quality.
    • Improved full steering range animation quality.
    • Improved multiple script inspectors.
    • Added UI rearview mirror.
    • Added analog needle component, for UI speedometer and tachometer.
    • Added analog spedometer and tachometer to world space vehicle dashboard.
    • Nitro audio is now a vehicle component instead of being spawned as needed.
    • Removed 1 of the demo scene trees to improve performance and reduce package size.
    • Changed IKDriver avatar wheelcollider reference to rigidbody for calculating steering shake intensity.
    • Removed PDFs to reduce package size -online manual is now available.

Mentioning for anyone who missed it: this vehicle controller will be the included/default controller for the RGT remake.

Remake progress update: now that I'm finished with the recent IK Driver update, I'll resume working on the new open world city environment, reposting the last dev log for anyone who missed were I'm at. I left off at a place where the modeling was almost done; once finished with the environment I'll start bringing the new code, IK Driver and the environment together and begin working on gameplay :D.

14. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Hello, Stephen,
    On the IK Driver asset's page I see Upgrade price from RGT $1. Does RGT fully include IK Driver?
    Thanks
    Alexander

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Alex,

Short answer is yes, it's fully included.

There's not an option available to indicate that it would be free when linking assets, only price options were available so I chose the lowest. There's also a grace period option that if set allows us to let users upgrade for free; I set it so that everyone's purchase falls in that time frame.

If you've already purchased, logged in and are still being asked to pay the $1, I can try to open a ticket to see what's wrong. Hopefully publishers have the option to link packages better soon.. In this case you can also email me your invoice noumber and I can forward you the package.

16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver Version 1.6.5 is now available.

17. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

if i buy this template now, will i get upgrade 2.0 for free, or not. if not how much more will it be? A can we get a estimate on release of 2.0.

Also I would also like to agree with a feature like road rash. If the car is damage,destroy, or off track,or some type of bool or trigger that will cause the car to respawn back on track feature is very needed. thank you stephen.

Stephen_O likes this.
  18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, it will be a free upgrade for all users. I don't have an estimate for finish date yet.

Thanks for the feedback about this, I'll make sure to have a bool available that you can use to trigger a ResetCarToTrack function. The current version will reset the AI vehicles if they get stuck, they have a reset timer.

Justin_Wingfall likes this.
  19. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Stephen, template is awesome! it works superbly :)

Need some help in customizing. In the ranking display, it only shows as "Player", can this be changed to user input? Also, the same for the cars, front and back a text field like a number plate be made available to display what the user wants.

If this is something out of your scope, appreciate if you can share where to look for the information. Thanks :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  20. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

thans for replay, one more thing because Im trying to get as much info before purchase... is the a integration with (NWH Vehicle Physics)<--hopefully or realistic car controller? And are both evp and RCC both functional with mutiplayer?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I can put both of these features on a list of requested features to add in the remake.

If you want to make a change to the player name, it's stored on a scriptable object Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Racing Game Template\Resources\PlayableVehicles . You can reference this object in your own scripts to create a way for the user to edit the value from a UI Text field, scriptable objects don't save the data entered, so be sure to save it with PlayerPrefs.

You can do something similar with liscence plates, I don't have a feature included that does this. You'd have to create a script to save and retrieve the data from a text filed using PlayerPrefs in the garage menu, then create another script on your liscence plate to load the saved data for that field.

catchmani likes this.
  22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I currently only have integration for EVP, this is the only alternate physics supported out of the box.

A goal with the remake is to allow any type of controller to be used (not guarenteed at this point), I'll provide more info as I get closer to that release and have gone through enough testing.

23. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the quick response. That looks something technical.. I'm new to Unity, still a long way to go to implement that on my own. :)

So appreciate if you can include those in your to-do list for the next update and for now it will be a great help if you could share any similar source - videos or links to check from my end. Thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

They're added to my list. :)

You can try this page to learn how to work with UI components, it's best for beginners to start at the top since it covers all the fundamentals https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/user-interface-ui

This one talks about how to save data using playerprefs, in your case it wouldn't be a highscore, but rather a custom name https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/high-score-playerprefs

catchmani likes this.
  25. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

if you dont mind me asking, have you talked to the NWH Vehicle Physics developer? I think he was going to contact you about integration. Thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I haven't. It might be good for me to test a bit with the asset, but my development shouldn't requre anything special from other publishers if it works out the way I'd like it to.

27. wilxr

wilxr

Any news about version two?

Stephen_O likes this.
  28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll make another dev log once I finish the environment (it's about 98% done), then it will need some optimizations. After that I'm on to integrating all my work from 3 seperate projects into one - this is where it will start comming together and I can start talking about features and changes and begin moving toward a release goal.

wilxr likes this.
  29. catchmani

catchmani

Thanks for the response, will check those links :)

30. catchmani

catchmani

Hi!

I'll leave those to you as you said you will be including in 2.0 :) So I'm spending my time on creating the environment and other stuff.

I have two more requests, again only if it's feasible from your end or please share relating links to look for help.

i. For the driver, can both Male and Female models be made available for selection? Like Character Selection, user chooses one model and gives his/her name.

ii. For purchasing new cars, along with in-game currency can an option to include promo code be made available?
    Like Car model will be on display with price of it and also a blank space will be available to enter a code which unlocks it. (be it a Text, Numbers or combination of both)

Thanks
    Mani

31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Mani,

Those 2 are a little beyond the scope of what I'm trying to focus on, my main goal is to provide the core functionality of a racing game in a framework so any user can do tasks like that on their own to extend the game.

I have documentation of how to change the avatar model here https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver/1.06/en/topic/changing-the-avatar-model .

I don't really know of any links off hand that would show you how to do this. My best advice would be to learn how to work with Unity prefabs and scripts to toggle on/off prefab objects or to instantiate objects into a scene.

For vehicle prices and promo codes, that's more of a specific system you'd need to code. My best advice here is to watch any beginner tutorials that teach scripting in unity. The Unity learn section contains a lot of useful info to get you started https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/scripting .

catchmani likes this.
  32. catchmani

catchmani

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response, much appreciate it. I'll work my way out for these and looking forward for the new update. :)

Cheers,
    Mani

Stephen_O likes this.
  33. zhangfan

zhangfan

Does this tutorial support Unity 2017?

Stephen_O likes this.
  34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Racing Game Template does work in Unity 2017.

35. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

just a quick question. I was thinking of making another racing game with characters running on foot or on boat like wave racer. I was thinking your template would be perfect with the simple fact that it already has a full menu system. When you say you want to have it compatible with all car controllers, does that mean anything with 4 wheels or will it be more dynamic in a way of making it compatible with motocycles(2 wheel) or characters running on foot. I'm guess the biggest challenge will be getting the AI following the path and what not?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I can't guarantee it yet, but my goal is for any controller, vehicle, character, cube or other to be usable, which I think is pretty likely from where I left off on that aspect of code development. The idea would be for a prefab to be attached to the controller then assign a few references for it to be used by the racing system's scene managers.

You're right about the most difficult part of that being AI, it's the most abstract piece in my mind right now since I haven't gotten to a point where I can test my doubts yet.. I'll be spending a good amount of time on AI once I begin that process. At the very least you will be able to use any controller for a race system, but AI may need to be configured manually for controlling non car vehicles.

I think if you have good coding skills and Unity knowledge you can use an alternate controller without too much effort - I did have an advanced user who contacted me with a few questions when he made a racing game using flying dragons instead of cars on tracks from the current version on the store.

37. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Please add controller support. The reviewer from 10 days ago hit the nail right on the head, Please focus on the core system rather then an environment were not going to even use. I think I speak for pretty much everyone when looking at the latest dev blogs on your youtube channel, it gets a lot of us very frustrated when it only contains an environment that anyone who plans on making a non asset flip game ill not going to have any use for. I'm not attacking you, I think your kit is the best racing template on the market, but it lacks core features that everyone needs and wants, such ass full controller support, respawn feature for destroyed vehicle or vehicle out of bounds, better UI system like the old one, with different screens like unlike the mobile looking one in the latest version RGT, support for other car controllers or non vehicles, the list goes on, yet the main focus is on a environment scene the majority of your consumers will have no use for. I know this is you template and such, but as a consumer I think the focus is going in the wrong direction, like putting Christmas lights on a empty box. Please, at least think about, I'm asking as a consumer and supporter of you product. Can why at least get minor updates of actual features and let the environment be on the back burner. To much potential is being held back because of it,Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    limo and Stephen_O like this.
  38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi RadioFolk,

Thank you for the feedback, I always welcome and appreciate it!

Most of the responses I received about the demo environment were welcomed as I proposed and discussed it, no one opposed it, the first I heard of no one wanting a better demo environment in the new project was with that review - previously when controller support was brought up by that user I did say that I would be adding support in the remake, and that has not changed.

The environment is finished so we are talking about something that is not really relevant anymore - I have a better base to build the remake in and I think that will be great from a possible feature perspective moving forward. I tried my best to be open about what I was working on and nobody mentioned that they did not like what I was building until the review was posted last week. I'm not trying to make anyone angry or feel ignored.

The purpose of the demo environment is to create gameplay options that had not been previously available in closed loop races, which was basically all that is available by default in the current version; I can't count the number of support requests I received with users wanting to do something different and not knowing how. More open world gameplay has been the number one requested feature, which is why I added an open world - to build more examples and sample gameplay with. I have a lot of ambition and need a suitable environment to achieve the previous requests and goals of the remake.

I do work fulltime on my main job (asset store does not make nearly enough for me to pay my bills), I wish it did becasue I love doing the work and helping people to create. I spend most of my spare time working on my assets alone and have been since I started the RGT. I appreciate and always reach out to users through this forum for feedback.. it's how I know what to build. Again, I apologize if anyone feels like I'm ignoring them or not building a feature you want fast enough. I am doing the best I can and trying to continue to support as many requested features as possible. Please understand that building an entire game template alone is a large time consuming process that most sane people would not attempt, the original version on the store now took me 3 years from start to finish. That being said, there are many things I have not shown because all the pre requisites have not been put into place yet, please give me more time before asking me to stop what I'm working on completely - as I mentioned above, the demo environment is already complete, so I think not utilizing it would be a complete waste.

The remake is my main project, and I hope it will be welcomed, I've taken all the feedback from RGT over the years and am trying to focus on bringing it into the new project. I do want everyone to know that I take your feedback seriously and am trying to make everyone happy, which is not always possible since what one person wants is not always what another has asked for and time is not always on my side.

39. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

As far as other updates go, I've spent a lot of time recently improving IK Driver (the default vehicle controller and avatar rig), you can find that thread here https://forum.unity.com/threads/ik-...vehicles-animated-through-input.380924/page-3 . I have previously posted in this RGT thread that the controller would be the default for the remake while also allowing for the use of other 3rd party vehicle controllers.

IK Driver is free to anyone who owns RGT, the most recent update was support for NWH Vehicle physics - also requested.

40. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Very understandable, and thank for you feedback. This is why I said I support your product,, most devs wouldn't have respone as quickly and be perfersional and honest as you are being. And dont want to sound like I was attacking you as again like I said this is the best Racing Game Template, and overall high quality product on the market. So thank you for that. and looking forward to you progress on this template. IRL is more important then anything, so I respect that and keep doing your thing no one but a fool will be mad at you for that. Anyways take it easy and thanks for quick response as always, are you a freaking robot or something? j/k :)

Edit: Thanks for support for NWH thats crazy, do we have to download latest update, or is the update for it around the corner for us to try out? Is it only compatible with IK Driver or can we set it up in a race *cross fingers*

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you :)

re NWH: Currently it's only IK Driver that supports NWH - so if you download IK Driver and NWH in a new project you can add the avatar to the NWH Vehicle Controller then use that controller in any project you want. Moving forward - I plan to allow for any controller to be used with the RGT remake. Here's the tutorial for NWH with IK Driver https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver/1.6/en/topic/avatar-rig-nwh-vehicle-physics .

re being a robot: No, but my boss asked the same question a few times :)

42. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

one question, owning RGT means I can download latest IK driver on the asset store for free? Didnt know unity store had that feature? :) or is it the IK driver the comes with RGT already? thanks

43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, you can get the actual IK Driver asset for free. I used the upgrade system Unity offers to setup IK Driver to be free as long as you've purchased RGT after the specified date (the date I used allows everyone to have access). This is basically allowing you to start building a little and experience some of the features I've worked on lately that will be used in the remake.

44. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Just wanted to report EVP Integration is broken.... When I open scene it throws these errors out, and vehicle doesn't move not even AIs in race scene, nothing works with EVP. Im using latest version of RGT and EVP. Need your help:(, thank you

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable wheelCollider of RG_SyncData has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the wheelCollider variable of the RG_SyncData script in the inspector.
    RG_SyncData.Update () (at Assets/TurnTheGameOn/Racing Game Template/Scripts/Multiplayer/RG_SyncData.cs:49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    RG_OpenWorldManager.EnableUserControl () (at Assets/TurnTheGameOn/Racing Game Template/Scripts/RG_OpenWorldManager.cs:49)

I followed everything in this video,

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hey, thanks for reporting this!

It looks like the EVP_SUPPORT scripting define symbol I have is not being set after import..

You can fix this by opening Window > RGT Settings > Player Cars and toggle EVP Support off/on (it's the last option in the list).

Attached Files:

46. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Thanks I'll try it out.

47. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

I'm using template 1.071 with Unity 2018.1.0f2. Loaded scene garage, added scene 0Circuit Hills to build options. Play. The game starts but I get an error and the car won't accelerate (well that might be because I don't know what the accelerate input button is :))

ArgumentException: Input Axis Emergency Brake is not setup.
    To change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input

There's no input defined for Emergency brake (see screenshot). I am also missing input fields for accelerate, brake, reverse ... Could this be due to me using the 2018 version?

<edit>
    Looks like it might be a version thing. Tried with unity 2017 and errors went away. Also found the control keys (arrow keys). However, still no mention of the emergency handbrake anywhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Stephen_O likes this.
  48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll look into why this is happening a bit more.. you can add an `Emergency Brake` Axes index to input settings in a 2018 project (attached image) and it will fix the error.

Attached Files:

49. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

Thanks for that. But I'll stick with 2017 for the moment. :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  50. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

Oh yea, forgot to ask, if you dont mind, could you share the steps for setting up EVP car for RGT? Should I set up EVP vehicle like I would a RGT vehicle, or should I look at a video tutorial from evp and set it up their way, and then copy and past scripts that are missing from main controller. Thanks again.

Stephen_O likes this.