Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► Racing Game Template ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I haven't tried to use the Unity UI through a controller myself, I did a quick google for unity gamepad joystick ui and found this tutorial. It looks like it should work and goes over the main components you need to configure to make it work.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. CoderPro

CoderPro

I think you must to rewrite your car physic because now its bad, not realistic. If you compare with Edy or RCC or even if with Racing Game Starter kit. Or you should using other physics kit for this asset ?

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

There's an integration package for edy's, very little setup is required.

There's also a lot of options to change and configure the vehicle physics, RGT 2.0 will have better default settings and documentation on how to adjust them. I'm working on making the player controller interchangeable too, so integration with other vehicle controllers will be possible.

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The next major version of Racing Game Template is in development - codeNamed RGT 2.0 - the update will be free for all RGT users!

As a thank you to the Unity community, for support through the original release and development of RGT, the price has been reduced from the original $100 to $60. On top of that the mega sale is going on now for an additional 50% off!

Don't miss your chance to get RGT for $30, with all discounts and promotions applied that's a total of $70 or 70% off!

The price will be reverted back to normal when RGT 2.0 is released.

Some of the new features will include:
    • Improved vehicle controller - IK Driver will be the included default controller: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54173
    • Improved vehicle models with high quality interiors (the vehicle from IK Driver and a new sports car coupe style model)
    • Improved garage menu system
    • Improved 3rd party vehicle controller integrations
    • Improved workflow for configuring vehicles
    • Improved workflow for configuring levels
    • Additive scene loading allows for scene variants based on platform (mobile/desktop)
    • New documentation and tutorials
    • New demo scenes
    • And more

Additional details and info will be posted as development progresses and the release gets closer.

volfase and limo like this.
  5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The AI system will also receive an overhaul, here's a preview of the new volume sensors that provide more accurate detection compared to the line rays that are currently used.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. volfase

volfase

When 2.0 will realese?
    And can you add rcc support?
    And do you add racing mode for multiplayer?
    And good work!

Stephen_O likes this.
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I was planning to release before the new year, but I think it will be ready early 2018.

I will add RCC support, more details will be made available once I get closer to the end of the development process.

Multiplayer may be expanded sometime after 2.0, but I'm currently focused on improving the other areas of the project.

volfase likes this.
  8. tabestmaker

tabestmaker

hi i have a problem tried it on many phone but it seems that it is stuck on 10 fps

9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, I think you are using the default environments, they were built with terrains. If you open the garage and race scenes, you can replace the tracks with the mobile versions. It should help a lot.

Terrain in unity seems to take a lot of mobile performance.

In the next version I'll have an option for environments to be setup in separate scenes so a mobile or desktop quality scene could be loaded based on a project option.

Attached Files:

10. Hamidreza1010

Hamidreza1010

hi
    i want to change unet multiplayer to lan on Racing game Template version 1.054 can help me?

11. tabestmaker

tabestmaker

at first with default ones it doesn't even go after 5 fps after i did this it is on 10 fps i don't know what i did wrong :(
    this is my scen
    * upload_2017-12-2_13-26-47.png

also i don't see a prefab for mobile garage so there is only desktop one

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Can you make an option for the driver to get in and out of the car ?

So I can use it for GTA style game, where the character can walk around and get into a car like this.

Stephen_O likes this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.054 is a very old version of the template, you should update to the latest version. A LAN game option is now available.

Hamidreza1010 likes this.
  14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I did get your previous email, if you send me another with your invoice number, I'll forward you a highly optimized mobile garage environment using a cubemap to render the terrain and an optimized mesh/materials. You can use this to replace the current garage. It looks almost exactly the same as the desktop version but there's no environment since it's only rendering a cubmap.

I think the low fps is likely caused by reflection probe being on and maybe rear/side view cameras. Any graphics features should be turned down or off when starting to determine what's acceptable.

You can disable them all as a test from the RGT Player Cars Menu I attached a screenshot. Open it from Window > Racing Game Template > Settings

The race scene UI has some additional elements that can be updated or optimized too, you can remove the unused race position ui elements to improve performance. If you do, please edit RG_SceneManager.cs line 494 to read:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (managerReference.positionObject [i]) managerReference.positionObject [i].gameObject.SetActive (false);
    This will be a automatically handled in 2.0.

RGT 2.0 will have many optimizations that will be built in without needing to manually change these.

Attached Files:

15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I like that idea and won't lie.. I've wanted to do it for some time and have built generic versions in the past for personal projects. Maybe once 2.0 is finished I might work on it, it would be a nice feature. A new open world environment is being built now for the free roam mode and also to be used for races, it might be cool if the player could also get out of the car. If I did do it, I would probably want to give it my full attention and do it right with a proper animation and maybe the actual player controller would be invector.

Attached Files:

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  16. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Nice to hear that, let's get 2.0 first out yes,

I also like this pack where you can go on a carriage, bit the same idea.

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. tabestmaker

tabestmaker

i have emailed you also done everything you said but still fps is at 10 at loading it is 60 70 fps once everything loaded it is stable at 10 sometimes if crashe it rises up to 11 maybe 12 tops

Stephen_O likes this.
  18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

That looks pretty good and inspirational, thanks for sharing. My goal would be to have a similar quality level if I were to try.

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, I replied there. I'll help get you to an acceptable fps.

20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I started a new dev log for 2.0, I'll post updates as I make progress.

ron-bohn and antoripa like this.
  21. Azman138

Azman138

I dont know why this error are showing after importing the asset?how can i fix it

Attached Files:

22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Some of those files are not even in the asset, did you import from the Unity Asset Store?

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

2.0 update

antoripa likes this.
  24. jillval

jillval

Only thing that this template is missing and being bugging me over the years is the appsense of a respawn the place the car bac on the track, like if car is out of bounds. Take road rash and or mario kart for example If you fall off the track, go into the water, wreak, or whatever your car/ or opponent would respawn back on the track nearby. I really do hope you add something of the sort. I plan on doing a road rash type game/mario kart type game and if the opponent gets hit with a special move or knocked off a cliff or wreak, I really need the the player and/or oppenent's car to respawn. Please add this feature it would open up alot of possiblities.

Also how much will 2.0 be? will it be a upgrade or new package

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Stephen_O likes this.
  25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the request, I'll make sure to add that respawn to current position feature for lost players.

2.0 will be a new package that costs at least $100, It'll have a free upgrade period where all current owners can simply upgrade to the new package at no charge.

antoripa likes this.
  26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I created a free upgrade path to IK Driver, it should now be available for everyone who's purchased RGT. IK Driver will be the default vehicle physics package that's included with the new racing game asset I'm working on.

antoripa likes this.
  27. egem2015

egem2015

Hi everybody

i have just bought this great asset. i managed to do my car in the race scenes.

But how will i create a car in menu scene so how will i change my car's color and rims etc in garage scene by purchasing?

thanks in advance.

King regards.

Stephen_O likes this.
  28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The garage cars are just models that should use the assigned materials that the player cars use. Replace the models in the scene with the models that match the player vehicles. Then make sure the materials are assigned in the Project Editor.

Attached Files:

29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Some screenshots to show progress.. the environment is starting to take shape. I still need a few more props and some buildings to fill it up a little.

test_0.jpg Screenshot.jpg Screenshot1.jpg

antoripa likes this.
  30. volfase

volfase

when new update is ready?

Stephen_O likes this.
  31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have a date yet.. I'll keep posting my progress, after I finish the environment I'll be able to start building up the game play for demo scenes and work toward making sure everything I need is in place.

volfase likes this.
  32. Arts-Apu

Arts-Apu

Can you develop free roaming with currency and fuel pick up? And ads system as well.

Stephen_O and BugPanda like this.
  33. BugPanda

BugPanda

agreed

Stephen_O likes this.
  34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yeah I can add currency and fuel pickups, I'll probably be doing nitro and maybe alternate currency pickups too, and maybe some triggered/timed events to go from point to point.

I don't think I'll be doing any Ad integration, I tried that in the past.. and maybe it was unstable Unity bugs causing the issue that are now resolved, but I spent a lot of time responding to support for that bug which took time away from developing actual racing game features for the project. There are a lot of ad solutions on the store that seem very robust, I think that anyone looking for an ad service should use those instead since their developers are focused on those services in particular and their products contain more functionality as it relates to the ad services.

35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Quick progress update.

BugPanda likes this.
  36. Arts-Apu

Arts-Apu

thats okay. then can you keep an option to use ads or any bannar ads on screen ( optional). Cause many of people don't know how to code.

37. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I think what I'll do is provide integration tutorials for ads and other assets that people might want to use.

38. egem2015

egem2015

Hi everybody again.

I will ask a question.

Can i make a point to point race with this asset?

Race will start a point and end a different point.

Thanks in advance.

King regards

Stephen_O likes this.
  39. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes this is possible, in short, set the waypoint number the race will end on to make a point to point race.

More Details:

You would make a 1 lap race and layout the waypoints as you need.

Extend the route by adding some more waypoints between the first and last point that help create a smooth looped path for AI pathfinding.

After you do this make sure configure mode is turned off, then set the the Total Waypoints value to the waypoint number you want your point to point race to end.

In my example the race ends at waypoint 2 even though a full circuit and loop is made.

point to point.jpg

antoripa likes this.
  40. egem2015

egem2015

thanks for everything.

I have another question.

is it possible to make a motorcycle game with this asset?

thanks in advance.

King regards.

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Yeah I've been able to modify other menu systems easily. I'm not trying to be salty, but if it's so easy to do with your system, then why not just set it up. Like other menu systems (let's say game jam menu template for example) I could modify and set controller navigation in less than 15 minutes. I was unsuccessful with your system after many hours. The link you provided did not help. I'm not thrilled about the response to "just google it". Your menu systems are very interdependent and not easily modified. Like I said, if it's too much trouble for the developer to make the menus navigable with a gamepad, then it's obviously extremely difficult for others to do it. That is how I interpret this.

I really like many things about your kit, but gamepad support for racing games is pretty much necessary.

Stephen_O likes this.
  42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

This is not possible with the current version without doing some custom scripting, my goal with v2 is to support any type of vehicle controller.

43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi,

I'm sorry if you are still having problems, you can always reach out to me directly for support and let me know what the issues is, and how I can help you better, I'll do my best to try to get you in a place where you feel comfortable with the project. I haven't heard back from you since I gave you that suggestion about 2 months ago.

Everyone is making a different type of game with the asset, it was first released in 2015 and I've added support based on customer feedback and requests since then. I have not really had a direct request for this feature so it's not something I focused on.

At this point I'm more focused on development for RGT v2 which will be much less dependant on other systems and would rather spend the time there than here. Everyone that owns RGT will recieve a free copy of v2 when it's ready. So you can expect to be able to use controllers out of the box for UI input.

44. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

That sounds fine with me. Please focus on your new version and thank you for keeping up with your assets. I am glad to hear you are providing controller support out of the box in the next version...after all, just about every racing game that's not mobile has gamepad support. Cheers!

Stephen_O likes this.
  45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Some progress update on 2.0..

The environment is almost done, I need to build a little more then start finalizing the art assets and optimizing the scene.

Once the environment is done, I'll integrate it into the project and begin building the new demo content using the new systems I wrote a few months ago. I don't really have any eta on any of this, but I'll continue to post updates as I make relevant progress toward that goal.

antoripa likes this.
  46. CecilB

CecilB

Hi,

Do you have any videos of the Multiplayer specifics on this as when browsing I can't seem to find anything.

I'm very interested in what it currently as (i.e the assets store purchase now) and what 2.0 will bring extra for Multiplayer.

Does it have a lobby/chat?
    Host/Join?
    Can client browse for servers? or ip connect only?
    Is this with Unet/Steam etc.

I keep looking at this and my click of the button is very close but really would like to know the information as mentioned above, any input from yourself and others would be of great benefit and very much appreciated.

Thank You
    Cecil B

Stephen_O likes this.
  47. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

very impressive, good work :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You can download the windows demo and run it on multiple machines or multiple instances on the same machine, although testing multiple instances on the same machine will result in a performance impact. You can also mix android and windows testing, both through LAN games or online unet matchmaking.

windows demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-jdzpWKTjUidWpzMXJZTXZuZjg
    android demo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TurnTheGameOn.UnityRacingGameTemplate&hl=en

Multiplayer is fairly simple and meant to serve as a head start or example for users interested in the unet service or testing cross platform play. It uses the unet matchmaking service for matchmaking with a simple lobby that allows the host to start the game. Gameplay loads the players into an open world scene with no gameplay rules. Player vehcile position, rotation and avatar animations are synced, as well as custom material colors for brake, rim, glass, body and neon glow. LAN games are also available. If you're planning on building multiplayer, this might be good to use as a base to build up from, learn from, or see some code examples of how to get something working on a basic level using the unet API.

2.0 multiplayer has not been evaluated yet, it's still too early to tell what might change. There will be a phase dedicated to implimenting this feature afetr all the base features have been configured and tested.

I hope this helps, it describes most of the current sate of multiplayer.

49. CecilB

CecilB

Hi, Really appreciate your time and response, great to get such a response as in some communities ( you can guess which game engine) a post seems to lay dead with pure ignorance.

Thank you very much indeed and just one last question, I see your working hard on 2.0 and from what I can see it will be great but have or would you consider steam/steamworks of some description where as the cc spot limited wouldn't exist and I think that's my initial thoughts when it comes to Unet/Photon etc. I'd be interesting in hearing your thoughts on this as out of remote chance if a small dev team made it big with a good project those prices would soon mount up from what I can see with Unet ?

Thanks
    Cecil B

Stephen_O likes this.
  50. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I haven't thought much about integrating any other 3rd party networking, I might look into it in the future, but it's doubtful that another library would be used since researching, building, maintaing compatibility and testing is too much for me alone.

As far as my thoughts on various services go, the answer likely depends on the dev teams unique situation, budget, time-frame, scope, etc.. You can start a whole forum thread on this topic ;).

I might think that if a team was working on the code together and was looking for the optimial 3rd party multiplayer/networking service, that might come after the prototype phase, in which case anything you can do to get your prototype up and running will work. If steam is your target, it may make sense to use their service, especially if it's free.

It would also be about how you plan to monitize the game, in which you'll be solving the puzzle of how to manage the API of choice and optimizing your game code so you can use as little bandwith as possible. If you use the unet pricing sliders you can max out at 500k player with minimum bandwidth for $30, obviously that won't happen with fast moving realtime games like racing.. bandwidth would be much higher, but maybe it could happen with chess or something like that, who knows. The coders in this remote chance situation will be the ones to solve that puzzle and make sure you're sending as little data as necessary.