Search Unity

► Racing Game Template ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Sep 9, 2015.

1. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I am very happy with this asset. It's great ....
    One question .. is there any option to get manual shift for the gear ?

2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm glad you're enjoying the asset!

Currently in v1.068 manual shifting is not available. I'm working on adding this as an option for v1.069, I still don't have an ETA for this version.

Here's the current list of most completed changes for 1.069:

PROJECT EDITOR WINDOW
    -Added project launch window to help guide new users to project resources.
    -Added Speedometer Type selection for each vehicle
    -Added fields to set upgrade/level bonus values on each vehicle
    -Added project wide Reflection Probe toggle for vehicle prefab probes
    -Added Mini Map Fixed Rotation toggle
    -Converted mobile controller to a prefab, it's now spawned into scene with the player vehicle when use mobile controller is enabled.

GARAGE SCENE
    -Redesigned environment
    -Improved UI layout

RACE SCENE
    -Added OnRaceFinish UnityEvent interface to the Race Scene Manager inspector.
    -Added "Close Route" toggle to waypoint visualisation, use this to better visualize your paths for point to point races.

SCRIPTING
    -Compartmentalized the RG_SceneManager script.
    -Moved audio logic from RG_SceneManager to its own script.
    -Moved waypoint arrow and wrong way logic from RG_SceneManager to its own script.

GENERAL
    -Added custom car paint shader
    -Added mobile UI Steering Wheel as input option

antoripa likes this.
  3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I made a new dev log to demo manual shifting and improved AI obstacle avoidance for the upcoming 1.069. Don't mind the driver's steering, I think I turned off steering smoothing..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    antoripa likes this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

When is planned the relase for manual shifiting ? I would use that in one of the scene in SENTIERI demo

Stephen_O likes this.
  5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm working on getting any bugs cleaned out and any required settings/prefabs updated, it could be just a few days until it's ready to submit.

antoripa likes this.
  6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'm almost ready to submit v1.069.. here's sample of improved IK Driver shifting animation.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    antoripa likes this.
  7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Working on finalizing the EVP support package then 1.069 will be ready to submit.. also for support packages I'll be switching to a system that will use scripting defines so the scripts won't need variants anymore, all logic for each type of controller will be able to be defined in the same script. This will also hopefully allow you to mix and match vehicles using different 3rd party or custom made vehicle controller in the near future.

This is the new game-play video demo.

radiantboy and antoripa like this.
  8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.069 submitted

PROJECT EDITOR WINDOW
    • Added project launch window to help guide new users to project resources.
    • Added Speedometer Type selection for each vehicle
    • Added fields to set upgrade/level bonus values on each vehicle
    • Added project wide Reflection Probe toggle for vehicle prefab probes
    • Added Mini Map Fixed Rotation toggle
    • Converted mobile controller to a prefab, it's now spawned into scene with the player vehicle when use mobile controller is enabled.
    GARAGE SCENE
    • Redesigned environment
    • Improved UI layout, default is now 1920x1080
    RACE SCENE
    • Added OnRaceFinish UnityEvent interface to the Race Scene Manager inspector.
    • Added "Close Route" toggle to waypoint visualization, use this to better visualize your paths for point to point races.
    • Improved UI layout
    • Added Scene Manager Camera to hold a temp audio listener that prevents the console debug message "There are no audio listeners in the scene. Please ensure there is always one audio listener in the scene" from triggering when a scene is loaded before the player is spawned.
    • Fixed a bug that would not calculate the proper millisecond value for lap time, this value would become more skewed for longer laps.

SCRIPTING
    • Moved audio logic from RG_SceneManager to its own script.
    • Moved waypoint arrow and wrong way logic from RG_SceneManager to its own script.
    • Moved EVP Support alternate script logic back into core code using custom scripting defines that are activated when the support package playable vehicles scriptable object is imported and updated. This is a first step toward supporting additional 3rd party vehicle types.
    AI
    • Improved system logic and inspector interface.
    • Greatly improved obstacle avoidance
    • Added box collider as additional front detection sensor type to provide another layer of detection to use when determining vehicle input logic.
    GENERAL
    • Added custom car paint shader
    • Added mobile UI Steering Wheel as input option
    • Added manual shifting option
    • Added mobile UI shift up/down buttons
    • Upgrade project to 5.4.3 to avoid the warning "playable was not disposed"
    • Set scale of game prefabs and scene environments to match Unity's 1 meter scale factor.
    • Replaced the Ethan model used by the IK Driver rig with a racer model.
    • IK Driver now uses gizmos to mark IK target objects.

SirTwistedStorm and antoripa like this.
  9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.069 is now available!

So many new features added I may have missed some in the previous post. If your request was not added I have not forgotten, just not enough time to get to it without further delay for update. Please continue with requests and feedback and I will integrate the ones that make sense as I continue development.

antoripa likes this.
  10. CollosalChris

CollosalChris

Hey,

I'm looking at purchasing this package. Does it allow for local multiplayer over wifi without needing to connect to online multiplayer servers?

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, currently the template only includes support for multiplayer using the unet matchmaking system. The car prefabs are configured to be used in any type of unet game but the menu system would need to be created to create the local multiplayer games and spawn the players into it. I can add this to the feature request list and try to work it into the template in a future update.

12. CollosalChris

CollosalChris

That would be awesome. Thanks

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I found a cool example of a developer using the Racing Game Template with a VR headset and steering wheel I wanted to share. If anyone else has video clips they would like to share I will be adding a page to my website soon that will showcase them as examples.

antoripa likes this.
  14. gibmation

gibmation

Hi, is there a max number of waypoints that can be used in a race?

I have a very long circuit and it seems the max waypoint is 99 which will not cover my track properly.

Thanks and regards

G.

Stephen_O likes this.
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi, sorry about that. you can remove the lines 65-66 in the RG_SceneManager script to allow you to set any value you want. If you still want the slider change the 100 to a higher value like 500.

I'll improve this interface with the next update.

Attached Files:

16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I started working on v1.07, this update will be focused on adding an option to create or join a LAN multiplayer game from the garage scene menu.

Some miscellaneous changes are also being made including the removal of standard assets image effects, these are only really used in the garage scene and I feel by now almost every Unity user is aware of them and can implement their own image effect stack as desired or required by project type.

The EVP support files will also receive a small update that improves the gear/rpm readout of the UI.

Attached Files:

Magic73 and antoripa like this.
  17. alex31016

alex31016

Hi! I don't know what happend, but its running very slow on mobile, 18 fps on "Fast". I'm using a Galaxy s7

18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi and sorry for any confusion.

In 1.07 I'm removing all the image effects, you can disable any on the player car cameras and garage camera, this will help a good amount if you're using the current version. The race tracks are also using terrains, there are mesh versions in the folder
    Use these in the races scenes instead of the terrains that are currently used, mesh is better for mobile performance compared to a terrain.

antoripa likes this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi there! Thank you for these awesome package. I have an issue : when the race starts, the countdown don t start, all the cars don t move and the player's car controller is disabled. Thanks

20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what could be causing this. Have you followed the video tutorial? I walk through the steps of configuring a new race scene, if you follow this method you should find a step that may have been missed.

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.07 will include an updated garage scene including a garage model and other environment geometry to add atmosphere. Here's a sneak peak of the WIP..

Unity Racing Game Template WIP Garage.jpg

antoripa likes this.
  22. yumianhuli1

yumianhuli1

May you tell us how to make a side view mirror?Thank U very much!

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

All player vehicles have have a 'Vehicle Components' object, this object has a child called 'Vehicle Mirrors' that holds the rear and side view mirrors. These use cameras and RenderTextures to create the effect which is drawn to a masked sprite. You can toggle them on/off for performance reasons using the 'Racing Game Template Project Editor Window' 'Player Cars' 'Render Texture & Graphics' section toggles.

Vehicle Mirrors.jpg

24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.07 is almost complete, the package is now being cleaned up and prepared for submission.

Unity Racing Game Template Garage.jpg
    Unity Racing Game Template Animated Garage Garage.gif

• Redesigned Garage Scene (Includes new garage model with animated garage door and background scenery)
    • Added Create/Join LAN Multiplayer Game (Does not require connecting to outside servers)
    • Added Test Drive Track Rocky Circuit
    • Fixed EVP UI RPM and Gear outputs
    • Updating to Unity 5.5.3 (5.6.0 currently has 1 known UI bug that breaks game flow)
    • Removed waypoint limit from race scene configuration

antoripa likes this.
  25. antoripa

antoripa

Best car race asset on the store ..

Stephen_O likes this.
  26. Max1982

Max1982

hi,

It is possible to create point to point race (no circuit with laps) in RGT?

27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

Yes this is possible in the current system, you would essentially make a 1 lap race and layout the waypoints as you need. I don't currently have a method to stop the vehicle at the finish line though. If this is something you need I can work to implement this feature more quickly.

28. Hmtooo

Hmtooo

I have been impressed by the idea of the game sir, there are some questions:
    First: Is it possible to add wheel drift,?
    Second: Does the source code come with a user manual ,,
    Third: If I want to add some features you will,
    thank you

29. Hmtooo

Hmtooo

what do you mean by this :
    Upgrade price from IK Driver 1.05.2 is $75.

30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The vehicles use wheel colliders , you can adjust the default parameters or modify them at run-time through code to produce drifting. A simple option can be adjusting the Sideways Friction values on the rear wheels to achieve some drifting effects

Most of the settings for the template are configured in a project editor window that is easy to navigate, video tutorials are also available to demonstrate most of the workflow as well as a basic read me to get started. As far as using the source code to create more, this is something I'm still working toward; there is the very early start of a wiki that helps to identify how to get or set different variables which may be useful if you want to create a menu system from scratch.

You can request any feature, there is no guarantee that it will be added or how long it will take. I'm always working to test and improve the template and sometimes I may focus on specific areas that I feel can be most improved.

The IK Driver system is included in the Racing Game Template. This option is for anyone who tries the IK Driver standalone asset and decides to purchase the Racing Game Template, I don't feel that they should pay twice for this feature.

31. Hmtooo

Hmtooo

Thank you for your reply,
    everything is good now,
    tomorrow will start my week and I will buy the template,
    you are very much interested in support

Stephen_O likes this.
  32. Hmtooo

Hmtooo

Hi Sir,
    I have tried the game on the latest Android version 6.1 but it is very slow and not compatible with the release

33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

It looks like my previous post is not here, something might have happened when forums were taken offline yesterday..

The race scenes use terrains, if you're building for mobile you will want to replace the tracks with mesh versions of the tracks for better performance. Terrains are very heavy on mobile. They are located in the following folder

Replace Mobile Tracks.jpg

You may also want to disable the vehicle mirrors, adjust the render texture settings, or disable reflection probes from the 'Player Cars' editor menu to gain additional performance.

Graphics.jpg

34. Hmtooo

Hmtooo

Thank you for your reply sir,
    when you change this the game will become compatible with the latest version of Android

35. derole123

derole123

Hi.
    Do you know how to make the AI drive faster as they are quite slow and are easy to beat.
    Thanks.

Stephen_O likes this.
  36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

An updated android demo is now available with more optimized settings Google Play Demo

37. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

The biggest change you can make is on the waypoints, each one can set a new speed factor for the AI vehicle to use, this is helpful when you need them to slow down for turns or control their speed through an area. Increasing these values will help your AI go faster.
    AI Waypoint Speed.jpg

You can also adjust AI vehicles through the prefab's inspector options to increase their torque and speed limit or their rigidbody drag settings.

AI Vehicle.jpg

38. radiantboy

radiantboy

Looks like you have made some great progress with this. I havent touched my driving game in a year or so, but I am hoping to upgrade semi painlessly, good work :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  39. LouisLutin

LouisLutin

Great. But I'm playing Driving School 2017. I love all racing games! This is really a great game which requires your clever control. In the beginning, you may have difficulty in balancing the car.I loved the 2016 version. One of the best parts about that game was the fact that you didn't have to spend all the money on cars. They would unlock as you reached the number that they were worth. This 2017 version has such a great large selection of cars that couldn't get much better especially when it comes to modern cars. But if you could please fix it so we could unlock every car without spending years to unlock them.

40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi there. It sounds like you might be looking for the RGT Settings Player Cars menu where you can set your own prices.

RGT Settings.png

41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi everyone, I'm going to be starting a big update very soon.

Requests new and old will be considered as I go through this process, feel free to let me know of anything you may be thinking of and I'll do my best if it makes sense.

I recently completed IK Driver 1.06, I plan on better integrating that packages updates into RGT so they can be more consistent with the available features and options.

My starting focus will be updating the vehicle model, IK system and vehicle scripts. There will be many other general updates in various areas of the project; I still have some other ideas too based on previous requests. I'll wait to see if there are any new requests to focus on first before I decide on anything else.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Faisal, I remember you. I provided you with a free voucher and even helped you by answering questions as you build your first game with my template around December 2015.. it's ok if you don't remember.

The UnityAds prefab is located in the TurnTheGameOn/RacingGameTemplate/Prefabs folder. screenshot attached.

You'll need to add it to the garage scene and assign the garage manager as reference in the inspector, then enable the Unity Ads service for it to work.

Free roam has no rules, you'll need to create scripts or custom content to manage rewards for that scene. I plan on adding pickups that you can place around scenes with the next update.

Attached Files:

43. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    1) do you plan to change the price of this asset with next update?

2) what kind of features do you plan to add in next update?

3) it is possible to add manual speedometer, but without electronic values like in movie Ik driver 1.06 Demo?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Stephen_O likes this.
  44. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

1. I don't think I'll be changing the price anytime soon, maybe in the future, but not for this update.

2. Some new features I will add:

-All the new IK Driver 1.06 features, including: support for driver on left/right side, new vehicle model with left/right dashboard so driver can be on any side, UI worldspace dashboard, improved IKDriver avatar options/base configuration, improved driver model (better skinning provide better 3rd person view ik animation blending), improved vehicle controller (matching the default config of IKDriver and any new logic to improve controls), improved shift animation, improved vehicle sound options for interior/exterior cameras.

-Pickup prefabs (nitro, currency), I'll likely also add a basic re-spawn system for pickups as well.

-Anything else I come up with during the process or good request ideas.

3. I'll try to make sure to add the needle type of speedometer as a dashboard UI option too!

BugPanda likes this.
  45. wilxr

wilxr

Do you have an estimate for the release date? I would like to try it, I have several ideas.

Stephen_O likes this.
  46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

My goal is to release in December, not sure how close I will get to that.

47. BugPanda

BugPanda

here comes a new member!

Stephen_O likes this.
  48. BugPanda

BugPanda

I just brought the Asset "Racing Game Template" i feel confused on replacing the cars! Can you please say how you did it? (i tried the video that the author made but it didnt change in race scene! The car model changes were limited to garage :( )
    Thanks!

Stephen_O likes this.
  49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello thanks for your purchase!

It sounds like you only edited the garage vehicles (they are only used in that scene), you'll need to update the prefabs in the Assets\TurnTheGameOn\Racing Game Template\Prefabs\Player Vehicles folder too.

The full video playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy0oHZ9DiHn81rri8OBJ0CNd4HFrVjq-L

I'm currently working on a re-write of the project with a lot of optimizations and workflow improvements, in the next version release you'll only need to edit the Player Vehicle prefabs.

Max1982 and BugPanda like this.
  50. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Hi! I set-up my game with xbox controller support. I have everything working good with the gameplay. However, the UI is giving me some problems. I need the UI to navigate with left gamepad joystick and arrows (or "w" and "s"). There are no options for "first selected" that I see in some selectable panels script like game jam menu template, for example. I tried explicit navigation among other things, but there's something I'm missing maybe? Can you help?

P.S. I integrated a weapons system into your template messing around and it's pretty sweet.

Stephen_O likes this.