Search Unity

► Racing Game Template ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi,

Thanks for sharing about the performance on HTC One devices. I've been using a Samsung Note 3 as my test device for mobile and everything is stable, I've been pushing the limit a bit based on my device to see how far it can go. Can you provide more info about your HTC model number so I know what type of device it is. There are some things that can be done to improve performance on devices that may struggle (which I assume are not current generation devices since it's running fine on my Note 3, Note 6 comes out in a few months.). Version 1.056 is pending review, when it's accepted I will be ready to submit version 1.057 which has a redesigned menu scene, some optimizations have been made to the menu scene for 1.057. Version 1.058 will be started when 1.056 is accepted and 1.057 is submitted.

With 1.058, I will implement a new AI sensor system I built that can be more efficient with Physics.Raycast , this new sensor system is modular in design and will be able to use more or less sensors based on your performance needs, in your case it will help improve race scene performance as you can just disable some sensors on each of the AI prefabs to improve performance or be more flexible if you used more AI racers. Currently there are 5 sensors on each AI car, the new system will allow for you to go down to 3 or up to 24 sensors as well as have optimized sensor logic by only casting ray's if needed or required. The only reason you will need more sensors is for more intelligent AI or on higher end games. The goal with the new sensor system is to help add more flexibility for intelligence levels of higher end games as well as help improve performance when needed, mostly for mobile games.

Some things that an be done to improve performance in race scenes are reducing the number of AI vehicles in your races and using optimized car models and game art.

I usually have an update ready every 5-10 days and tend focus on the most improvable areas based on feedback and my own iteration and optimization findings. If there's a specific trouble area you've found I will be happy to improve on it and work with you to resolve any issues. I'll work to create a better and more tangible roadmap/outline of the projects future as there's still much I want to do. I've started to post dev log videos where I give candid responses based of my current iteration focus and outline what I will do with those areas of focus to add new features or improve upon the current framework.

2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.056 is now available.

hakankaraduman likes this.
  3. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi, very good asset.

The video on the store shows multiplayer, but it seems the cars' movements are jerky on online game. Do you plan to improve position syncing for multiplayer? I suppose that those sudden movements will get much more when cars move faster than that video.

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks.

The jerkiness in the video was due to bandwidth bottleneck on my local machine, possibly some cpu strain as well; but the system can probably use some optimizations to get it to a great place that accounts for the strain or missing packets. I was running the 4 instances and syncing to the mm server with all of them from a low to mid range PC on wifi with screen capture software running. My primary focus for the multiplayer launch was syncing player data, animations, creating a stable game and other logic required for the base framework. I'll be focusing only on multiplayer optimizations and features starting in about 1 week or so. I'm open to all feedback and will be trying to create the best experience possible, when I finish adding features to this asset I plan to use it for my own games, multiplayer is an important feature for my plan.

The android demo is multiplayer ready, you can try that with a friend to get an idea for yourself how it currently works when driving faster.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi,

I tested. Car movement lags a lot. I did a search on the internet about how to reduce this effect. There is a technique called many names as lag compensation, client-side prediction, interpolation, extrapolation, server reconciliation.

It's a very good package you have and better multiplayer sync would make it much better. I'll be watching the thread for updates. See you!

6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, these controls are already in place by default on the Network Transform component. The values would need to be adjusted appropriately. These settings will be adjusted in more detail during the multiplayer optimization stage, also to note these settings can be changed by adjusting the sliders on the component and don't require additional work; they will be different for every project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  7. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Believe me, network transform is useless if you want a good network sync performance. It doesn't use server reconciliation and historic position/rotation data to interpolate afaik.

8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I wouldn't say it's useless, I've tested with it over the last year and it's showed some promising results without much tweaking. The HLAPI is open source, much of what I've done so far as it relates to using the HLAPI and the built in networking components is derived from modifying the source to create custom components. The same can be done with NetworkTransform, all components are just code, if something specific in the component does not create a desired result It can be adjusted just like any other script.

You're now talking about server reconciliation as well, for this a dedicated server would need to be in place to host the games, this is just not available as a built in feature to Unity yet. As I've stated previously in this thread, the multiplayer features included in this asset are utilizing Unity's multiplayer services and currently use only built in components, a dedicated server library is not yet available for UNet it's said to be coming soon, possibly in the 5.4 release. UNet in the current state is based on one of the players being the host for the others without an actual server.

As the tools become available I will utilize them to expand on my framework, I will not consider using outside methods of hosting and connecting to games at this point. The Multiplayer focus for this project is and will be based entirely from Unity components and available services, because of this it will be much easier for other developers to find and replace the components they want to customize or replace with their own tech.

9. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

@TurnTheGameOn

Thanks for the detailed answer. So I misunderstood what server reconciliation is then, I did not know that it requires a dedicated server to process data, I was thinking that 'server' mentioned in the reconciliation is the host in unity multiplayer which is both a client and a server.

10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You're welcome, networking in Unity and in general is a very complex subject mostly because there are so many ways to do it and so many things involved; also documentation is limited and scattered from Unity. I'll do my best to explain and answer any questions or concerns. There's a lot of ambiguity on the subject and UNet is still very new, I would argue that it's still incomplete. There's a newer community thread on the state of UNet as Unity is collecting use-case information for improvements, find it HERE . The full Unity Networking library I'm using can be found HERE if you're are curious to look into it in more detail, this is what I'm customizing to create my own custom managers as well as create custom components to work the way I need them.

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

For anyone developing with the UNet multiplayer features:

In preparing my current update (1.057) for submission and going through pre-submission testing I've found an issue with the UNet matchmaking service.

After much testing, troubleshooting, and searching, I've found that after a match is destroyed (more specifically after a a request to the matchmaking server to destroy the match and disconnect the user, this is how the API works), for some reason the Unity Matchmaking Server is keeping the match alive along with a connected users (even though the Unity editor is receiving a response that user disconnect and match destroy was successful), regardless of anything I do on my end from refactoring logic to try different disconnect methods, to restarting Unity and even my PC.

This means that CCU goes up and matches that are not available are returned when querying for available matches. Documentation states this should be handled by Unity backend automatically, and it was working fine during my multiplayer framework development process. A timeout should be disconnecting players and destroying matches from the mm server as well, this too is not happening. I suspect this is related to Unity allocating resources to other places or some recent change in infrastructure but will not speculate too much. This is a Unity specific issue, other are experiencing it and I'm sure it's a priority for them as it's a show stopper for the matchmaking service.

A Unity Multiplayer Team Member @JeremyUnity has responded in a thread about the issue and has expressed that he's working on a fix and it's related to one of their edge servers. Here are some threads I've found from other users if you'd like to reference and follow them. I do hope this is resolved soon and I'm sure it will be, I'll be sure to follow this until it's fixed and apologize for any inconvenience.

Threads on topic:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/match-stays-alive-after-closing-game.360534/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/hit-unet-ccu-limit.392530/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ccu-count-not-going-down.396875/

12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.057 Submitted
    • Updated IK driver script and settings to improve driver realism.
    • Added UI buttons for mobile steering (turn left, turn right)
    • Added UI joystick for mobile steering and/or acceleration
    • Updated Garage scene with improved graphics and UI layout.
    • Created a HD Garage scene that uses image effects, reflection probe and more lights.
    • Improved car material default settings.
    • Improved Garage scene reflection probe's background color to be in sync with the neon light.
    • Added camera position-slide transition effects for various sub-menus in the Garage scene.
    • Locked camera movement when customizing car material color changes with sliders in the Garage scene.
    • Added 9 color change buttons for customizing car material colors, to be used in addition to the sliders or in place of the sliders.
    • Added Color Preset settings to the Playable Vehicles Scriptable Object to define button preset colors for Body, Glass, Brake, Rim and Neon color change buttons.

14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll be releasing a "Lite" version of this asset, this means it does not include Unity Networking & Multiplayer Services functionality, all other features from the full version remain. The price will be $80 for the Lite version, the full version will remain at $100.

I will also create an upgrade option that will allow you to upgrade from the lite to full version for the difference in price. This will allow users who don't want to make a UNet game to pay a lower price, then upgrade later if Unity Multiplayer Services are desired.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.057 gameplay demo, IK Driver was updated after I made the video, his motions now match that of the newest IK Driver update.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  16. Rassalom

Rassalom

God be thanked!
    When will it be available?
    Cause I need it right now :)

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I submitted it yesterday, the approval process usually takes 5-10 days. So it should be live on the store by this time next week or sometime during the following week.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. radiantboy

radiantboy

Looks awesome! Whats the AI like now, can they avoid each other?

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

They are still a bit overly aggressive, I finished the new sensor rig but have not included it because I still need to add it to AI vehicles and rewrite the AI conditions logic for it. I will focus on this task first for the next update.

The current rig uses 5 sensors in a not so great way compared to the new system, all sensors come from the AI car's transform origin. New sensors are much more flexible, the rig will have 24 detectors that can each be toggled on/off for performance reasons, as well as re-positioned/rotated to new points on the AI vehicle. I can use this to more effectively gather details about the AI's surroundings, it will determine if the rays hit is a car or scene obstacle through tag checks as well as provide the distance between the AI car itself and the ray hit. With this information available I can more accurately determine when the AI vehicle needs to adjust its behavior.

20. radiantboy

radiantboy

Sounds absolutely wonderful, right now I have a jump and if one guy lands the jump bad everyone piles into him... hoping to somehow avoid that with new AI ;)

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.057 is available
    • Updated IK driver script and settings to improve driver realism.
    • Added UI buttons for mobile steering (turn left, turn right)
    • Added UI joystick for mobile steering and/or acceleration
    • Updated Garage scene with improved graphics and UI layout.
    • Created a HD Garage scene that uses image effects, reflection probe and more lights.
    • Improved car material default settings.
    • Improved Garage scene reflection probe's background color to be in sync with the neon light.
    • Added camera position-slide transition effects for various sub-menus in the Garage scene.
    • Locked camera movement when customizing car material color changes with sliders in the Garage scene.
    • Added 9 color change buttons for customizing car material colors, to be used in addition to the sliders or in place of the sliders.
    • Added Color Preset settings to the Playable Vehicles Scriptable Object to define button preset colors for Body, Glass, Brake, Rim and Neon color change buttons.

22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

They'll have much better detection methods in place and should have no problem avoiding that car. I'll be starting 1.058 in the next few days and make sure to begin by finishing the AI.

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Racing Game Template Lite is now available. Everything from the full version is included except Multiplayer with Unity Networking. I'll be adding an upgrade option soon to allow users who don't currently want or need the Unity Networking features to upgrade when needed. The upgrade price will be the difference between the two assets.

Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/60536

24. radiantboy

radiantboy

Great stuff, this asset is coming on so nicely, thanks for all the hard work on it.

Stephen_O likes this.
  25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for your feedback and building a game with it :). I'm happy you're enjoying it.

26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

It's been a while.. so I thought I'd post a new dev log to give insight on some of the updates I've been working on for 1.058. This log covers the changes I've made to the Racing Game Template Project Editor, AI sensor upgrades and IK Driver improvements. Version 1.058 is being finalized and will be submitted this week.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.058 is being submitted today.
    • Redesigned the AI sensor system to be more flexible and provide deeper customization options. The main purpose of this change was to improve obstacle avoidance of the AI cars. They can now more effectively detect and take actions to avoid hitting walls or other cars.
    • Added mobile steering type selection to options menu (Tilt, Joystick UI Buttons). Selection is saved with PlayerPrefs.
    • Improved IK Driver configuration options by adding an option to use only 2 hand targets for the steering wheel. Most professionally published games use this style with the steering wheel rotation clamped to around 90°.
    • Added toggle between 2-hand-targets and All-hand-targets to IK Driver inspector.
    • Added steering wheel rotation limit for for 2-hand-targets to Ik Driver inspector.
    • Added steering wheel shake slider to IK Driver the inspector.
    • Separated Rearview Mirror on car model.
    • Moved Race Scene "Ready Time" variable to RGT Editor Window / Races.
    • Moved Race Scene "Wrong Way Delay" variable to RGT Editor Window / Races.
    • Added extra lap multiplier to RGT Editor window / Races.
    • Added extra racer multiplier to RGT Editor window / Races.
    • Added "Quick Access Buttons" for Unity Project Settings Buttons to RGT Editor Window to quickly display Physics, Quality Settings, Graphics, Tags and Layers, Editor, Player, Script Execution Order, Audio, Time and Network Managers in the inspector.
    • Fixed a bug that would sometimes load the wrong vehicle into open world scenes.
    • Removed unused networking scripts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  28. lokijki

lokijki

Hey there,

I'm having some trouble getting multiplayer working correctly. I've replaced the included car models with my own, but in multiplayer, all client side cars are spawned as the same model as the host's car, though the colors are working. I'm thinking I may have forgotten something when setting up the new cars; any idea what's going on? Thanks!

29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi, this may be due to a bug I recently found and fixed with the update I'm submitting today..

The open world scenes use the RG_OpenworldManager.cs script

Line 36 of this script spawns the vehicle using:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SpawnVehicles (playableVehicles.currentVehicleNumber);
    I've changed it to read:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. playableVehicles.currentVehicleNumber = PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("Vehicle Number", 0);
    2. SpawnVehicles (playableVehicles.currentVehicleNumber);
    Please try making this change to the RG_OpenworldManager.cs script, it should solve the problem of spawning the wrong vehicle.

30. lokijki

lokijki

Thanks for the quick response! I made the change you suggested, but I don't have an extra machine at the moment so I can't test it properly until tomorrow. I tried it out with a multiplayer session running on a single machine and it didn't seem to fix the issue, but that may have to do with running 2 games on the same machine and sharing PlayerPrefs.

31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll look more into this as well, the major area of focus for the next version update is multiplayer, for me this means I'll be looking only at the multiplayer functionality for areas of improvements and added features.

When Unity 5.4 is released the Networking API changes a bit, I've already made most of the changes to work with this new API, but I also want to make the multiplayer feature set more interesting by including a proper racing framework, as well as removing any possible bugs.

PlayerPrefs are indeed shared and this can likely be the cause but I'm not positive myself (It's a high chance though). Once I finish converting to the 5.4 API this will be my first area of focus, then on to building more multiplayer functionality. Moving forward I also want to look into finding a method to make the PlayerPrefs data unique per instance (I need to think about this a bit more), possibly by allowing the player's to choose their name which can be useful for a few scenarios including being used for playerprefs uniqueness allowing for multiple profiles to be saved and used..

Thanks for reporting the bug, if the fix works you can let me know. However, I'll likely be starting on multiplayer tonight or tomorrow and encounter your scenario soon after if it doesn't work.

32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've found the cause and worked out a solution for this, I'll do some final testing to ensure this works 100%. Anyone working with this area in need of a fix can email me with your invoice number and I'll send you the script changes when I'm done testing. If you don't need the fix ASAP, it will be included in an update immediately following the 1.058 version currently pending review.

33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.058 is now available
    • Redesigned the AI sensor system to be more flexible and provide deeper customization options. The main purpose of this change was to improve obstacle avoidance of the AI cars. They can now more effectively detect and take actions to avoid hitting walls or other cars.
    • Added mobile steering type selection to options menu. Selection is saved with PlayerPrefs.
    • Improved IK Driver configuration options by adding an option to use only 2 hand targets for the steering wheel. Most professionally published games use this style with the steering wheel rotation clamped to around 90°.
    • Added toggle between 2-hand-targets and All-hand-targets to IK Driver inspector.
    • Added steering wheel rotation limit for for 2-hand-targets to Ik Driver inspector.
    • Added steering wheel shake slider to IK Driver the inspector.
    • Separated Rearview Mirror on car model.
    • Moved Race Scene "Ready Time" variable to RGT Editor Window / Races.
    • Moved Race Scene "Wrong Way Delay" variable to RGT Editor Window / Races.
    • Added extra lap multiplier to RGT Editor window / Races.
    • Added extra racer multiplier to RGT Editor window / Races.
    • Added Unity Project Settings Buttons to RGT Editor Window to quickly display Physics, Quality Settings, Graphics, Tags and Layers, Editor, Player, Script Execution Order, Audio, Time and Network Managers in the inspector.
    • Fixed a bug that would sometimes load the wrong vehicle into open world scenes.
    • Removed unused networking scripts.

34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.059 submitted
    • Fixed a bug that would not spawn the proper vehicle for clients in multiplayer games.
    • Fixed a bug that would not display proper max player limit in lobby for clients.
    • Fixed a bug the would not show proper max player limit in the available games list when searching for multiplayer games to join.

35. Zireael07

Zireael07

Where can I find a working demo of this? I thought there was an android demo, but all links I can find point me to 'content unavailable in your country' thing.

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Currently I only have a WebGL demo available, the Android demo may be added back at a later date.

37. Alex_V

Alex_V

Actually tried Version 1.058 WebGL and i couldn't accelerate (gChrome)

38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

hmm... That's strange perhaps you have pressed the emergency brake button, the car doesn't drive when this is engaged, you need to reverse first to disengage the emergency brake. I'll add a UI notification when this is engaged in next update.

The car drives fine for me in chrome using my Joystick or keyboard for input.

39. Zireael07

Zireael07

I would be grateful for the Android demo as I'm having problems with WebGL performance.

40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll work on making an Android demo available soon.

Zireael07 likes this.
  41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.059 is now available.
    • Fixed a bug that would not spawn the proper vehicle for clients in multiplayer games.
    • Fixed a bug that would not display proper max player limit in lobby for clients.
    • Fixed a bug the would not show proper max player limit in the available games list when searching for multiplayer games to join.

42. voltaire2016

voltaire2016

why my mini maps look like that?

Attached Files:

43. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I'll adjust this in next update. Your player mini map arrow is below the opponents arrows; you can can increase the transform position y value for the player mini map arrow on the playable vehicle prefabs.

Attached Files:

44. voltaire2016

voltaire2016

i dont understand, what i mean is why my mini map shape box, instead circle like mini map border?...

Attached Files:

• 445.jpg
      445.jpg
      File size:
      58.8 KB
      Views:
  45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you as well.

It seems your MiniMap Mask is not properly configured, this is has been fixed in a recent version update. I've attached a screenshot to show how the map is currently configured.

Attached Files:

46. voltaire2016

voltaire2016

Thanks for good support. Very fast respond. :)

47. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You're welcome, I'm glad you have it working :)

48. lokijki

lokijki

Hey, I've encountered a couple bugs that I'm wondering if you could shed any light on:

First, after unlocking a new race, the first time I start it, the race will load but the timer will not count down, and the AI opponents will be missing or broken (in one case, the AI car in front of me was green and transparent). The console has shown a few different errors when this happens, all related to the racerInfo array in RG_SceneManager (typically IndexOutOfRange or NullReference errors).

Second, every now and then the player car or opponent cars will be unable to move forward until they are hit by another car.

49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi

What version of the template are you using? 1.059 is the newest and most stable version; I've just tried twice with this version but was unable to recreate the error by turning on auto-unlock next race and completing the first race. The second race loads and starts without any error or problem.

I've never experienced AI racers not loading or being misconfigured, the spawn points in the scenes are transparent green (these are disabled when the scene starts); perhaps you have something misconfigured in one of your race scenes. I've attached a screenshot of RG_SceneManager in debug mode, this component gets data from the scriptable objects; if they are not assigned the manager can't get the data it needs to run.

The AI were redesigned in 1.058, before this there were random instances where some AI would not start moving right away when the race started, usually until they were hit. With 1.058 this problem was fixed.

Attached Files:

50. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Google Play demo is now available here.