Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. AnonymousUnity

AnonymousUnity

it is the best kit i ever buy ...

2. Ian094

Ian094

Thanks for your support :)

It's going to be even better with the release v2.0.

AnonymousUnity likes this.
  3. AnonymousUnity

AnonymousUnity

pls help ..

sir .. can i have an request .. i buy racing game starterkit .. it has 7 different race types , and 2 scene for main menu and racing on tracks .. in main menu you can buy and costumize cars..but in racing selection it have a menu to select tracks and i want to remove it ... I'm 4th year Mechanical Engineering Student and In philippines 50 dollar is equal to 50x49 and it is equal to 2450 pesos which is 2 weeks of my salary in jollibee .. i bought this for project and the submission of project is on June 12,2017 .. The scene i needed is like NFS menu (see NFS Most Wanted Set-up).. Loading screen first then map selection when you click map (diffent levels appear that have an default race types) & after selecting levels .. it will go to garage .. In garage you can costumize color of cars ,buy button ,next button and start button .. if click start it will load the map in default race types .. RG Starker kit is complete but i need a little handy tools maybe for only 40 mb including ik driver and removing other script like Input manager ,car controller , motorcontroller .. I buy carx technology and it is useless on RG Starterkit .. If you can help i will upload it to you even other projects . thank you for reply..

4. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Making changes to the menu system will not be a difficult task because the menu is no way tied to the racing system. Implementing a different vehicle physics is explained in the documentation from page 43.

Please send me a PM with your invoice number and I will see how to help you on this issue.

Thanks.

AnonymousUnity likes this.
  5. AnonymousUnity

AnonymousUnity

6. Ian094

Ian094

Here on the forums would be okay.

Sent you a message.

7. derkoi

derkoi

I'd like to test the new version if you need any testers? Thanks

8. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The new version isn't quite ready for testing yet.

I'll be sure to leave a post here and send out PMs to testers when it is.

Thanks for wanting to take part in the beta :)

AbhishekRaj, derkoi and antoripa like this.
  9. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, looking forward to it!

10. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

I would also like to test the new version when it comes out. The old version was so good that the expectations are very high this time.

Ian094 likes this.
  11. xjuice

xjuice

I need some little helps for my off road track:
    Is possible to have the skidmark always active?
    Is possible to have a second type of skidmark for slip limits?
    How to save the skidmark mesh to suggest the track?

Thanks in advance

12. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Sure, I'll add you to the list of beta testers.

Thanks.

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  13. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, you can do this by setting the SurfaceType to "Off Road".

No, v1.1.0 only supports 1 type of skidmarks for all surfaces. You can only toggle whether skidmarks sould be active on a surface.

In the upcoming version, you can have different skidmarks for each surface. Here's a preview of the surface manager in v2.0:

surfacemanagerWIP.png

For this you can create a SurfaceManager prefab and use it for all your race scenes.

Thanks.

JohnDraisey and Mayureshete like this.
  14. xjuice

xjuice

Hi, thanks for the answers.

I do this bat it dont work, i need always mark the ground.

OK

I dont need to save settings, i need to save the mesh.

Thanks.

15. Ian094

Ian094

Open the Wheel.cs script, scroll down to line 208. It should look like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (skidAudioSource && wheelCollider.attachedRigidbody.velocity.magnitude > 5.0f)
    Change 5.0f to 0.0f. This should make sure that the skidmark mesh is always created whenever you move.

To do this you would somehow need to get the mesh data contained in the Skidmark component and save it. I'd have to look into this to give you answer. I'm sure a forum search would help you figure out how to do this.

Let me know how it goes.

JohnDraisey likes this.
  16. xjuice

xjuice

I will let you know.

Thanks.

17. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Thanks, Looking forward to it.

18. xjuice

xjuice

I found this: https://github.com/pharan/Unity-MeshSaver
    It works like a charm

Thanks very much.

19. xjuice

xjuice

Sorry but it dont work

20. Ian094

Ian094

Cool!

Did you configure your vehicle using the vehicle setup wizard? As you can see from the code, it will only execute if there is an AudioSource - this is created when configuring a vehicle.

What happens when you run the scene, do you get any skidmarks? Any errors in console?

Thanks.

21. xjuice

xjuice

I try with your PlayerVeicle Sportcar_1 asset.
    I get the skidmarks wen I turn but notting wen I go strigt.
    In console i found this error:
    NullReferenceException: Do not create your own module instances, get them from a ParticleSystem instance
    UnityEngine.ParticleSystem+EmissionModule.set_enabled (Boolean value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/modules/ParticleSystem/ParticleSystemBindings.gen.cs:723)
    RGSK.Wheels.SetupWheelComponents () (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Vehicle/Wheels.cs:81)
    RGSK.Wheels.Start () (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Vehicle/Wheels.cs:44)

22. Max1982

Max1982

Anyone tested Racing Game Starter Kit with VR?

23. Ian094

Ian094

What version of Unity are you using?

24. Ian094

Ian094

I don't own a VR headset so I'm unable to test. I'm planning on getting a VR headset sometime in the future though and I look forward to trying out VR development with RGSK and other projects.

25. xjuice

xjuice

5.5.2 on mac osx i'm updating now to 5.6

26. RazHarmy

RazHarmy

Hello, just wanna ask, are this kit include with the car gui such as the speedometer, the text showing the lap, pos and timer already?

Just like i attached your picture.

Attached Files:

27. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

m not the author of this kit, but just replying. everything in that pic and car demo is included...

toto2003 likes this.
  28. RazHarmy

RazHarmy

great. Thank you so much for replying.

toto2003 likes this.
  29. derkoi

derkoi

Yeah I did, it works fine but I made myself feel sick. lol

toto2003 and Ian094 like this.
  30. Ian094

Ian094

haha yeah, I've heard VR causes motion sickness for some people. Hopefully I'm not one of them.

I wouldn't imagine that a racing game would cause motion sickness because all you really do is sit down, look straight and glance to the left and right when steering unlike shooters where you look all over and move around the room.

toto2003 likes this.
  31. derkoi

derkoi

I didn't have things set up properly to be honest, this is perhaps something you can add to your kit. In order to minimise motion sickness, the camera must not shake with the car - if you drive a real car, you'll notice as you drive you focus on the horizon and the car shakes around you as your brain levels out your view without you thinking.

So in order to minimise motion sickness some kind of smoothing is needed so the rotation of the car is kept, but small movements are removed. The car bouncing and shaking must look like the camera is not attached to the car, the car moves around the camera.

You might be able to see it in a video:

I think it's best to have an empty gameobject that filters small rotations of the car as obviously if you flip your car you need to follow that rotation, and you need Yaw and pitch to match the car.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Ian094, Mayureshete and toto2003 like this.
  32. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

any updates on 2.0.....? I would like to see few pic of the menu ;)

33. Ian094

Ian094

Hello,

The update is going good. I know it's been a very slow update but great things take time :)

I've been focusing on polishing the vehicle physics over the past week. I'm still working on several things here and there but by the look of things a beta version should be available sometime this month.

I'll be sure to post any screenshots or updates here when ready.

Thanks.

34. dabrowskiapps

dabrowskiapps

Hi there,

If I buy this now, will I receive the updates for free?

Also, can I use this package and its components for multiple projects/apps?

Thank you!

35. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, all future updates will be free including the upcoming v2.0 update.

You can use the asset for as many projects as you want.

Thanks.

dabrowskiapps likes this.
  36. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Hey @Intense_Gamer94

I wanted to check in and ask how the update is going.
    You mentioned the possibility of a beta version sometime this month, is that still a likely scenario?

I'd also like to know what systems are complete. Personally, I'm interested in the race management aspects, the AI and the replay system. I've setup my own menu system for local multiplayer, and my own physics. I'll probably make my own progression system, since I won't be using currency for unlocking cars or tracks.

From the way you described V2, it sounds like the implementation of those features is a lot cleaner, so I want to wait for this version before I incorporate RGSK into my project.

Is there a way we could test some of those features any time soon?

Thank you for your work and keeping us informed,

Cheers!

Mayureshete and magique like this.
  37. magique

magique

I'd love an update as well. This went from a 2 week projected update to 6 months as of this month. I forgot this asset even existed I'm so far removed from shelving my racing game project.

JamesArndt likes this.
  38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

The update is going great. I've been working on code optimization lately. In it's current state, the performance is far much better than v1.1.0. Running 20 vehicles on the track gives pretty much the same frame rate as only running 1.

The AI is not complete yet but I'm almost there. As I mentioned before, AI has been one of the biggest challenges with this update.

The replay system is a lot more advanced, it not only records velocity, position/rotation and input values but also other values such as the engine RPM, gear etc. Nitro values are also recorded so that you wont miss all the moments you used nitro when watching the replay :). One cool feature added to v2.0 is the ability to watch a replay during a race and go right back to racing after you're done.

Seeing that the month is nearly over, I don't think it's very likely. However, v2.0 will be available very soon. I've spent lots of time on this update and I'm confident that it'll help developers create great racing games.

Thanks.

39. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, I've had to re-think many things during this update, such as how to handle things in the best and most efficient way, hence how long it's taken. Input, events, code structure and general workflow have been the main things.

This update will be the biggest yet and most definitely the slowest update for as long as RGSK exists.

40. derkoi

derkoi

Sounds amazing. Pay no attention to impatient developers, they of all people should know quality takes time in this industry. :)

JamesArndt and Mayureshete like this.
  41. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

Thank you for sharing info on the progress. The replay system sounds really advanced, that's very cool.

I look forward to trying V2 out,

Cheers!

42. magique

magique

I waited 4 months since my last communication with the developer. I'd say that's remarkably patient. And I will continue to wait patiently. I was just interested in an update.

neoshaman, Atzig and AlbertoMastretta like this.
  43. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah it does! Especially the lowered cost for more AI on track.

derkoi and Ian094 like this.
  44. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

same for mobile...?

JamesArndt likes this.
  45. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, mobile performance is just as good. When working with mobile devices, you only need to ensure that your models and scenes are optimized.

JamesArndt, Mayureshete and magique like this.
  46. Max1982

Max1982

Hi,
    Anybody say something about performance in menu. I have 18 cars in menu scene. All of them are in Menu Manager. When I come back from Race scene to Menu scene -this Menu scene loads 1:20 ! When I have 2 cars in menu manager - scene loads "only" 20 seconds ;(

All cars are very low poly (with mobile unity shader). This situation is completely useless for mobile devices.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    JamesArndt likes this.
  47. Max1982

Max1982

Maybe I should use "Dont Destroy on Load" function to get better performance? But it will duplicate all scene and objects. I dont know...Somebody helps? Please

Edit. So I used Dont destroy on load for Menu Vehicles. Nothing changed. But after I added Dont destroy on load to Menu Menager, wow ... Menu scene loaded very fast but .... with Red errors in console. Summary I really like this asset and IntenseGamer94 who helped me a lot of times and who has a lot of patience for beginers users but... Im sorry but I dont really believe that we will see 2.0 before this Christmas. If anybody will have any suggestions about my issuss please help. Any sugestions are like gold to me. Thanks.

Update (found issue):
    So I removed everything from Menu Scene (lights and skybox also) except Menu Vehicles. Same here- Menu scene loads about 1 minutes. Then I change in Menu Manager car list fom 18 to only 2 (Menu Vehicles cars objects still in scene) = Menu scene loads about 14 seconds. Definitely there is something wrong with Menu Manager script. This journey is over. P.S. I used 1.09 script.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  48. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

1:20 is an extremely long time. With 20 vehicles in v1.0.9 and v1.1.0 menu systems I get normal loading times. What else do you have in your menu scene except from vehicles? Are there any errors in the console suggesting why loading could be taking so long?

Using DontDestroyOnLoad is a bad idea for the menu manager - you only need it to exist in the menu scene and not any others.

C'mon, of course we will see v2.0 before Christmas. We will see it very soon :)

magique and JamesArndt like this.
  49. Max1982

Max1982

50. Atzig

Atzig

The problem isn't with the Menu Manager script, it sounds like it's your cars. I've got 28 cars in my Menu Vehicles object and going from a race back to the menu takes about anywhere from 5-21 seconds.
    We'd better see it before Christmas! (I'm joking)

JohnDraisey and Ian094 like this.