Search Unity

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. derkoi

derkoi

Hi, any ideas how I'd go about simulating drivers positions if the players car is wrecked? Also my championship has 60 drivers with 3 heats of 20 drivers and a final of 30 drivers comprising of the top 10 from each heat. Obviously the player will not be in every heat so I'd need to simulate races without the player too.

2. magique

magique

Do you intend to show those races in real-time for the player to watch or have replays of those races available? If not then you can simply write some simple code to simulate where each car placed and then display those results.

3. derkoi

derkoi

I guess I don't need to show the race, however it would be nice having the option. Also I'd need to simulate them based on the driver ai so the better drivers finish in a more realistic position.

4. magique

magique

If you don't need to show them then you could randomize results and weighing the level of AI into the equation. Having to show the races would be more complicated and I don't know if RGSK supports that, but hopefully they'll respond with some suggestions.

derkoi likes this.
  5. Ian094

Ian094

One way to do this would be by getting the driver's race completion and their lap time and use these values to simulate their finishing times:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float finalTime = (currentLapTime / raceCompletion) * 100;
    The race completion is stored in the ProgressTracker.cs and the current lap time in the Statistics.cs script.
    My guess is that you would call a function that does this if the player gets wrecked then switch the race state in RaceManager.

In v1.1.0a or below, a player vehicle is always required. I didn't think of a scenario where the player vehicle wouldn't be needed. To not have the player car you would need to replace the PlayerVehicle with an AI vehicle.

Talking about championships, this is a feature that is being added in v2.0. Championships will be a series of races that can be pre-configured as Scriptable Objects or created during runtime and stored in a persistent gameObject until the championship is over.

Thanks.

NeoUnity and Mayureshete like this.
  6. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the replies.

Any ETA on v2.0? I'd hate to dig in to modifying this version only to have v2 release. lol

7. Ian094

Ian094

I'm aiming to have v2.0 submitted before the end of the month.

NeoUnity and derkoi like this.
  8. magique

magique

A couple of questions regarding v2.0. First, is it possible to upgrade a project from earlier version or are the version too dissimilar? Second, is there some place that describes all the changes/features that are going into v2.0?

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Apparently, It wont be possible to upgrade from earlier versions to v2.0.

I'll be posting the complete change log here sometime soon to show all the added features and changes.

Thanks.

NeoUnity and Mayureshete like this.
  10. magique

magique

OK, thanks. I look forward to it.

11. Max1982

Max1982

Hi, Intense_Gamer94 ,

it is possible to add car plates with e.g. player name to v.2.0?

;)

12. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

This would be possible even with the current version.

The way I would do this is create a script that reads the "PlayerName" PlayerPrefs string and assigns the string to either a Text Mesh or a WorldSpaceCanvas placed by your vehicle's plate.

I think this is a cool little feature and may add an extra script to v2.0 source that handles this.

Max1982 likes this.
  13. jrintala

jrintala

Hi,

Great work Intense_Gamer94 and great responses for all of us here on the forum.

I'm about to purchase this asset, but I wanted to make sure how much I should or could do with the current version before the new 2.0 version? Should I wait for the new one before even beginning my project since my game would be relying strongly on this asset, on it's physics and built-in functions? Will the price stay the same with 2.0?

Hopefully everything is going according to plan with the new release, stay strong, I'm sure I'm one of many who are eagerly waiting for the new release. You're doing excellent work!

-juha

14. gamezuv

gamezuv

Hi, would love to see a list of features in v2 . Also a small request... right now if I build a scene without any of the kits prefabs or scripts or components it still imports textures and models. I am guessing because things are in the resources folder. Can you remove them ? So I get a clean build if nothing from the kit is included in the scene. Thanks and looking forward for v2 !

15. gamezuv

gamezuv

Hi can you help me how to setup a championship with 3 rounds and points allocations? How did you do it ? Thanks

16. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I would highly recommend waiting for v2.0 mainly because you wont be able to upgrade from previous versions and it's a way better version - it will definitely allow you to make better and more optimized racing games in Unity.

The price for 2.0 will be $60 - I think that's a fair price for all the features this version will be packed with.

I still need to wrap up a few more features and test before submitting v2.0 but everything's going according to plan so far.

Thanks for your support!

jrintala, NeoUnity and Mayureshete like this.
  17. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

do we buy version 2 seperately or its an update....? i guess its an update

18. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I will post a change log here within the next few days with all the features.

One way to avoid this is to remove the demo vehicles from the Resources folder so they aren't included in your build.
    Championships are a tricky thing to setup.

Good thing Championships will be one of the many added features in v2.0. :)

gamezuv likes this.
  19. Ian094

Ian094

It will be an update so you wont need to purchase it again.

20. magique

magique

21. Max1982

Max1982

22. jrintala

jrintala

Anyone else checking in here daily edit: several times a day, to see if the 2.0 version is out yet? =)

NeoUnity, Mayureshete and Ian094 like this.
  23. Ian094

Ian094

Hello Everyone,

The development of v2.0 is still ongoing.

Below is the change log:

Sorry if the change log is a bit messy - It was blindly written.

I miss-estimated the release of this version - some more time will be required to finalize v2.0. I wont give an ETA so expect a beta release(or asset store submission) at anytime :)

Thanks for your patience.

gamezuv, antoripa, derkoi and 3 others like this.
  24. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

its almost a whole game, only one question.... what will the xp system make use of...?

nice update, looking forward to it.

25. Ian094

Ian094

A whole game really isn't the point of RGSK, rather a toolkit to help you make awesome racing games. I've got a series of tutorials lined up after the development of v2.0. that will go through how to make full racing games using this kit.

The xp system will work just like any other xp system. Each xp level will need a certain number of xp points to reach and once the player gets this many xp points, the player levels up. Similar to games such as Forza, Dirt 3, etc.

That's completely up to you. Maybe once the player reaches level 100, award an achievement or unlock a vehicle. Anything you want :)

Remember that any feature offered in v2.0. doesn't need to be used and can be left alone.

antoripa and Mayureshete like this.
  26. derkoi

derkoi

This sounds great!

Does the championship system have points awarded for position finished in each race? Can we customise these values?

27. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, points are awarded to racers based on their finishing position.

Championship points as well as many other settings will be customizable through a scriptable object.

toto2003, Mayureshete and antoripa like this.
  28. derkoi

derkoi

Awesome! Thanks for your hard work.

29. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

does all tracks loaded in a single scene...? or do we have option to have separate scene for every race track in 2.0

30. derkoi

derkoi

Each track is already in separate scenes.

31. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

thanks, i never gone too deep in this asset... ;)

32. toto2003

toto2003

hi,
    i change vehicle on the menu manager with my own, the car has a different name, but the name of the vehicle didn't show s up on the starting grid, only the other ai car with "lotus Sport" on it. any idea?
    thanks

33. Max1982

Max1982

I think that it will be better waiting for version 2.0.

34. magique

magique

Did you also change the prefab for that car? Because the actual car that shows in the menu is just for visual purposes and you have to change the prefab that it represents. Also, if you don't actually select the car then it will still load the other car from the saved data.

35. toto2003

toto2003

i ve been quite far on the developement i don t feel like updating on a totally new system, just this little bug annoye me.

36. toto2003

toto2003

yes , but my issue was the string name on the start panel and finish result panel, i want to see the type of the car display on the panel, the string just s gone.my prefab car is loaded normally has it should.

37. magique

magique

Sorry, I'm not quite sure on that one off the top of my head and I'm not where I can check it for you. Hopefully, the author can help you soon.

toto2003 likes this.
  38. Max1982

Max1982

@Intense_Gamer94 does v. 2.0 work with Unity 5.4? Please make it compatible wth 5.4.

39. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yes, v2.0 will be compatible with Unity 5.4.1. I will also be sure to test it on Unity 5.5 to check that it works fine on that version too.

The type of the car is displayed by the "Vehicle Name" race results text so please make sure to assign that. The Vehicle Name is read from the vehicle's statistics.cs vehicle name string as seen below:

Attached Files:

Max1982 and toto2003 like this.
  40. toto2003

toto2003

oh i see, that solve my issue thanks !

41. magique

magique

I have an idea for a new feature. It would be cool if when the car body hits the track that you can have sparks spawn in that spot.

Ian094 likes this.
  42. Ian094

Ian094

Noted! I'll be adding this feature to the vehicle physics.

Quick update on v2.0:
    I've been working on creating custom editors & windows to improve workflow. Most of the systems are in place and work perfectly but still need to test and test and test.

Thanks.

magique likes this.
  43. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

And testing is the fun part. :)

magique and Ian094 like this.
  44. Atzig

Atzig

That is one massive update, can't wait!

magique likes this.
  45. magique

magique

Does V2 include a system for car headlights?

46. Max1982

Max1982

Yep, it could be nice addition, if the player could turn off/on headlights with mobile button ;)

47. magique

magique

Another feature idea. Right now the UI is pretty hard-wired for a maximum of 6 racers. It would be nice to have a lot more racers and have some sort of UI wizard to insure that both the on-screen display of current racer position as well as the final race results adapted to the number of racers. This is probably beyond the scope of the current update, but definitely a thought for a future incremental upgrade. Unless you've already implemented something like this.

48. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Are you thinking of 25 to 30 racers in your example?

49. magique

magique

No, not that many. Why do you ask?

50. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Since you wanted more than 6 racers I would have expected that you would have specified how many you were expecting to support.