Search Unity

Question Rabbit can't stop sliding

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SeanTheDeveloper, Apr 17, 2023.

1. SeanTheDeveloper

SeanTheDeveloper

Hi there. I am working on a rabbit movement script and it always slides when it lands on the ground. The thing is, I have to stop it but I don't know how. Here is the code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. jumpTimer -= Time.deltaTime;
    3.         if (isGrounded) {          
    4.             if (jumpTimer < 0) {
    5.                 jumpTimer = randomJumpTime;
    6.                 randomJumpTime = Random.Range(minJumpTime, maxJumpTime);
    7.                 launchSpeed = Mathf.RoundToInt(Random.Range(minLaunchSpeed, maxLaunchSpeed));
    8.                 randomPosition = new Vector2(isTamed ? player.transform.position.x : Random.Range(minDistance, maxDistance), 0);
    10.                 if (isTamed) {
    11.                     if (Vector2.Distance(transform.position, randomPosition) > minDistanceFromPlayer)
    12.                         rb.velocity = new Vector2(((Vector3)randomPosition - transform.position).normalized.x * launchSpeed, jumpForce);
    13.                 }
    15.                 else {
    16.                     rb.velocity = new Vector2(((Vector3)randomPosition - transform.position).normalized.x * launchSpeed, jumpForce);
    17.                 }
    18.             }
    19.         }

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Those lines are waaaaaay too long for me to reason about. :)

If you have more than one or two dots (.) in a single statement, you're just being mean to yourself.

How to break down hairy lines of code:

http://plbm.com/?p=248

Break it up, practice social distancing in your code, one thing per line please.

"Programming is hard enough without making it harder for ourselves." - angrypenguin on Unity3D forums

"Combining a bunch of stuff into one line always feels satisfying, but it's always a PITA to debug." - StarManta on the Unity3D forums

Otherwise...

Time to start debugging! Here is how you can begin your exciting new debugging adventures:

You must find a way to get the information you need in order to reason about what the problem is.

Once you understand what the problem is, you may begin to reason about a solution to the problem.

What is often happening in these cases is one of the following:

- the code you think is executing is not actually executing at all
    - the code is executing far EARLIER or LATER than you think
    - the code is executing far LESS OFTEN than you think
    - the code is executing far MORE OFTEN than you think
    - the code is executing on another GameObject than you think it is
    - you're getting an error or warning and you haven't noticed it in the console window

To help gain more insight into your problem, I recommend liberally sprinkling
    Debug.Log()
    statements through your code to display information in realtime.

Doing this should help you answer these types of questions:

- is this code even running? which parts are running? how often does it run? what order does it run in?
    - what are the names of the GameObjects or Components involved?
    - what are the values of the variables involved? Are they initialized? Are the values reasonable?
    - are you meeting ALL the requirements to receive callbacks such as triggers / colliders (review the documentation)

Knowing this information will help you reason about the behavior you are seeing.

You can also supply a second argument to Debug.Log() and when you click the message, it will highlight the object in scene, such as
    Debug.Log("Problem!",this);

If your problem would benefit from in-scene or in-game visualization, Debug.DrawRay() or Debug.DrawLine() can help you visualize things like rays (used in raycasting) or distances.

You can also call Debug.Break() to pause the Editor when certain interesting pieces of code run, and then study the scene manually, looking for all the parts, where they are, what scripts are on them, etc.

You can also call GameObject.CreatePrimitive() to emplace debug-marker-ish objects in the scene at runtime.

You could also just display various important quantities in UI Text elements to watch them change as you play the game.

Visit Google for how to see console output from builds. If you are running a mobile device you can also view the console output. Google for how on your particular mobile target, such as this answer or iOS: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-capturing-device-logs-on-ios.529920/ or this answer for Android: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-capturing-device-logs-on-android.528680/

If you are working in VR, it might be useful to make your on onscreen log output, or integrate one from the asset store, so you can see what is happening as you operate your software.

Another useful approach is to temporarily strip out everything besides what is necessary to prove your issue. This can simplify and isolate compounding effects of other items in your scene or prefab.

Here's an example of putting in a laser-focused Debug.Log() and how that can save you a TON of time wallowing around speculating what might be going wrong:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/coroutine-missing-hint-and-error.1103197/#post-7100494

"When in doubt, print it out!(tm)" - Kurt Dekker (and many others)

Note: the
    print()
    function is an alias for Debug.Log() provided by the MonoBehaviour class.

3. SeanTheDeveloper

SeanTheDeveloper

Hi there. I have already tried debugging and it doesn't change much.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

And what were the values of the X velocity in the code that you expect to prevent sliding?

If you don't have that answer front and center, as in a steady stream of numbers spewing to the console telling you what the X velocity is every frame, you haven't actually debugged.

This is software engineering. You are engineering a solution to a problem. It will be mightily difficult to engineer a solution to a problem you don't yet understand.

The Debug.Log() approach above is the one way to obtain information about your problem.

The Debug.Log() approach is nice in that anybody can apply it regardless of level of technical skill or systems familiarity.

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I don't know how you're calculating isGrounded, but you can detect the moment when the rabbit lands on the ground when the conditions for isGrounded evaluate to true but isGrounded itself is false. That would mean that the rabbit was in the air in the previous frame, but currently is grounded.

6. SeanTheDeveloper

SeanTheDeveloper

Hello, I am caluclating it through Physics2D.OverlapBox however, I am unsure how to write your method into my code

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

Well if isGrounded is false and overlap box is overlapping the ground, then theat means the player only recently landed, Right?

8. SeanTheDeveloper

SeanTheDeveloper

Yes, but how do I write it through code? Because I don't want to mess with Vector2.Distance from the ground and stuff

9. kdgalla

kdgalla

Show me your IsGrounded code and I'll see what I can do. This pretty simple, though,

10. SeanTheDeveloper

SeanTheDeveloper

upload_2023-4-18_22-24-34.png

11. kdgalla

kdgalla

Use code tags like you did in your first post. I can't copy and paste code from an image. :confused:

bool previousGrounded = isGrounded;
    isGrounded = whatever you wrote up there
    if ((isGrounded)&&(!previousGrounded))
    {
    rb.velocity=Vector3.zero;
    }

Setting the velocity to zero stops the rigid body from moving.

That's a simple way to do it but you'll probably get more realistic results using friction or something.

12. SeanTheDeveloper

SeanTheDeveloper

Hey I think I fixed it, pretty much