Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Quote for a level / terrain for a mobile offroad game

Discussion in 'World Building' started by newlife, Sep 25, 2020.

1. newlife

newlife

Hello,
    I would like to know how much should be charged for a complete level / terrain optimized for a mobile offroad game.
    Im talking about a terrain like the ones in Gigabit Offroad or Top Offroad Simulator:

upload_2020-9-25_2-0-11.png

upload_2020-9-25_2-1-48.png

The terrain should be 2000x2000 meters and should contain around 8 "tracks", that is path where the vehicle can go with some challenges (rocks to be climbed or an hill climb to be passed).
    I need around 5 different terrains that should match the quality of these examples and also sports the same FPS on low end devices.
    Also, the time needed to complete each terrain.

2. newlife

newlife

anyone?

3. useraccount1

useraccount1

Based on this post, you don't know what you want, so expect this to cost an enormous amount because:
    - Some of the features on these pictures require custom tools/ plugins for the editor (like roads).
    - Someone will have to at first create high-quality terrain and then scale it down If you want it to be the same quality.
    - Someone will have to design (on paper) 40 tracks on 5 different maps.

4. newlife

newlife

Why you say that I dont know what I want.
    - Roads are not mandatory, anyhow I can provide the tool to make them.
    - The person who is going to work to this terrains must create it already optimized for mobile devices, there is no need to make it high quality and then scale it down.
    - Maps (and consequently tracks) will be taken from real world scenery so there is no need to design them.

Hope that now is more clear.

5. useraccount1

useraccount1

When you work with someone, especially someone that doesn't know anything about your project, It's your responsibility to tell them all details about their job. Unless you want the level designer to use their own creativity, but then don't complain when it's different than your idea.

Also, If you want to use data from real maps, you could just download heightmaps of the earth and use them in the terrain, paint it, and then you are done.

6. newlife

newlife

Do you really think that this is so easy? As you say, you have to paint it, put some props on it and optimize everything for mobile devices. If you think that you are able to make this work, make a quote.

7. useraccount1

useraccount1

I really think it's easier to do it on your own than trying to find someone, explain to him everything and then be dependent on his design decisions. Something before asking for a quote, you have to understand that level designer is a human too. If you expect him to work, then at least be prepared for a wage that person would make in a typical job. If you want the best in the field (which I'm not), then multiply that by 4 or even more.

As for me, I already have life, work, and a secondary project, which also means not a lot of time to share. If you want to continue that part of the discussion, then by using private messages because the forum isn't a place for that.

8. newlife

newlife

If you are eligible for this kind of work you should be able to make a quote.