Search Unity

Quixel Megascans Collections

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by leedevonald, Mar 19, 2018.

1. leedevonald

leedevonald

Quixel Megascans, the #1 scan library used by all major game and film studios, is finally available for Unity.
    3D scanned objects, surfaces and vegetation, prepared for optimal performance and PBR pipelines, at your fingertips.

We're extremely proud to introduce our Lavafield collection, as seen in Unity's 'Adam' demo: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/114012

And our Valley collection, used in Unity's 'Book of the Dead' demo:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/114154

Our Wasteland collection:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/megascans-wasteland-collection-hd-117041

Industry veteran Josh Powers breaks down his environment building workflow, and shows us how he uses Megascans Unity Asset Packs, Megascans Bridge and Quixel Mixer to quickly create AAA quality scenes straight inside Unity.

Our Megascans collections enable small teams to create AAA quality environments extremely quickly.

Please feel free to post any support related issues in this thread!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. duncanx

duncanx

How to use this content? I have 2018.1...everything is purple.

3. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I not Super Excited that a company as successful as yours is charging the FULL PRICE for the same asset for EACH Pipeline. It means you are charging $199.00 for just changing the shader code. I believe this is a Precedent that you don't want to start in the Asset Store. Especially with someone like myself that has purchased all your software.

4. duncanx

duncanx

Agree...it reads as disingenuous.

5. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hi there,

Could you be more specific as to which pipeline you're using? 3D, Lightweight, High-End?

6. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hi,
    Actually if you purchase either pipeline, you get the other one for free, it's unlocked automatically on your asset store account. IF you've purchased the pack and this isn't the case, please contact us directly via support@quixel.se and we will make sure the issue is resolved for you.

Cam_Crichton and EddieChristian like this.
  7. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hi,
    Again as mentioned above, you should receive both pipelines on your asset store account when purchasing one of them. If this isn't the case please get in touch so we can resolve the issue.

The reason the pipelines are separate on the asset store, is because the High-End pipeline materials require different texture packing options, as well as some other technical requirements which meant packing all of the content from both pipelines into a single package was not an option.

We absolutely wanted you to enjoy the ability to use both pipelines content with a single purchase, we're sorry if this hasn't been made clear, and we'll update our descriptions to make sure of this.

Acissathar and EddieChristian like this.
  8. duncanx

duncanx

HD version. I tried the beta of 2018.1 plus the repo located here...but I'm not sure if that's what I was supposed to use: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline

9. leedevonald

leedevonald

Thanks for the response.

Everything being purple indicates that you're maybe trying to use the LT pack in a High-End project, could this possibly be the case?

The new SRP system from Unity typically only installs the shader packs required for whichever project template you've created, so just to be sure, please double check that you've created a High End project, and are using the High End collection.

Please let me know if i can help further.

10. duncanx

duncanx

I sorted it out. The gotcha for me was just that this asset store package is shown as needing "2018.1" and technically that is true, but there are other steps involved. SRP is new...and there are a few github projects relating to it. After you find the correct one...you then need to learn how to work with the package manager (for now manual editing of manifest files) so that all the dependencies of that pipeline get loaded up. Turns out...the easiest way around all of this is to use the Unity Hub...because of the "templates" feature....there is a template for SRP HD. So...get 2018.1, get the 'Hub', use the template, then unpack this beautiful asset.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/24/streamline-your-workflow-introducing-unity-hub-beta/

leedevonald likes this.
  11. leedevonald

leedevonald

Ah yes, i'm sorry i should have thought of this, i've been using the Hub to create all of my test projects and i had just assumed that projects created without it would work in a similar fashion. Thanks for the info!

12. leedevonald

leedevonald

Industry veteran Josh Powers breaks down his environment building workflow, and shows us how he uses Megascans Unity Asset Packs, Megascans Bridge and Quixel Mixer to quickly create AAA quality scenes straight inside Unity.

EddieChristian and hippocoder like this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

14. cloverme

cloverme

Stuck in an import loop. In using the Valley LT collection, during import, I get a prompt, no matter which option I pick, it just loops back and keeps asking the same question and never finishes the import. I'm using Unity 2018.1.0f2

15. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hi! In order for me to help you with this as quickly as possible, are you using the LT or Legacy/Standard project template?

If you're using LT, you shouldn't see this message at all, and it's something i need to look into right away. If you're using the Legacy/Standard template, then it could be that for whatever reason, it's asking you for every asset in the pack, which i understand can be frustrating.

In either case, to alleviate this problem for the time being, i would advise you do the following:
    Close Unity
    Go to your project folder, and locate 'Assets/Quixel/Scripts' folder.
    Delete the files: 'MegascansPostLegacyCheck.cs', and 'MegascansPostLegacyCheck.meta'.
    Restarting Unity should start importing the rest of the files, if it doesn't and you need to reimport the package, make sure to NOT include the 'MegascansPostLegacyCheck.cs' file in the import.

Once your materials are imported, they might all be bright pink/appear broken, this will be due to a mismatch between their shader type, and your project type. In order to fix this, in the asset browser search bar, enter the following:
    t:material "qxl"

Edit: I've written a script which switches the materials for you, just drop it into your 'Assets/Quixel/Scripts' folder, from there you can right click, and go 'Quixel > Convert Materials To x' where 'x' is the target shader type. It should be attached to this post.

This will allow you to select every material from the package, you can then change all of their shaders at the same time to the correct one for your package.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  16. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hi all!

After the last post, we felt it might be a better idea to remove the automated conversion attempt on importing the asset packs. Instead, the asset packs now come with the MaterialSwitch script attached to this post.

Please let me know if there are any problems =]

Attached Files:

17. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Hey Quixel, why you create Quixel Mixer app on Unity? :) And why importer code soooo ugly?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  18. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hello!

I'm not sure i understand this question... Could you please elaborate?

19. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

I mean why Quixel Mixer desktop application is made on Unity and not by something more specialized?

20. Tinder-Red

Tinder-Red

Hello Everyone. After i import the Megascans_Importer_HD_V1.05.unitypackage. I got this error:
    Assets/Quixel/Scripts/MegascansImporter.cs(558,42): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Rendering' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEditor.Experimental'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    I use Unity 2017.4.3.
    Thx for any answer.

Jamen1970 likes this.
  21. leedevonald

leedevonald

Hi!

This error occurs because you're trying to use the HD importer in a non-HD template project, please use the non-HD importer in your project if you aren't using the HDRP template project.

22. Tinder-Red

Tinder-Red

Thx, it's working now. i can move forward.

23. marcusestes

marcusestes

I just imported the HD Lavafield asset into a new HDRP project and when I open the "LavaField_DemoScene" it contains several dozen missing prefabs. Anyone else having this issue?

24. leedevonald

leedevonald

Missing, as in not in the scene, or missing from the package entirely?

25. froslie

froslie

Please describe in more detail the advantage to purchasing one of these packs versus a subscription via megascans site.
    Thank you for your time

SuperNewbee likes this.
  26. marcusestes

marcusestes

Missing from the package entirely, I believe. The words "Missing Prefab" appear over and over in the hierarchy window and don't point to anything in the project.

27. dienat

dienat

The lightweight packages can be used in projects with lightweight VR?

28. marcusestes

marcusestes

Any updates on why I'm missing prefabs from the demo scene?

Attached Files:

29. leedevonald

leedevonald

I'm currently investigating why this might be happening. Please bear with me.

30. dienat

dienat

Lightweight megascans assets could be used in VR with htc vive or are too heavy for it?

31. leedevonald

leedevonald

They should be fine, but i imagine you might want to play around with some of the prefab LOD distance settings in order to get the best performance.

dienat likes this.
  32. leedevonald

leedevonald

I can confirm that the prefabs aren't supposed to be there. I will make sure that all of the 'missing prefabs' are removed from the scene and that the package is updated ASAP, thank you for bringing this to our attention!

marcusestes likes this.
  33. froslie

froslie

Trying to make comparisons between this asset [valley] and what I might acquire via my subscription. Is it possible to find a list of what is in these assets?

34. marcusestes

marcusestes

Does the Lavafield LT asset not contain a demo scene?

35. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Does anybody know if there is any reason to buy this from the asset store versus from mega scan website. Is there any advantage?

froslie likes this.
  36. Jamen1970

Jamen1970

Hey all, new to Unity, about a week now. I used Megascans in UE4 with no problem. I am finding some issues with it in Unity, 3D project versus the HD pipeline. The quality really isn't there for me in a regular 3D project. See attached pics. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just how it works on Unity?
    3dpipe.PNG hdpipeline.PNG

37. leedevonald

leedevonald

This is a bug (fixed in a coming update) where the material in the 3d/legacy workflow doesn't refresh after creation. You should be able to just click on the created material and it will update itself.

Also, if you're looking for visual quality, neither the 3D or Lightweight pipelines will give you that.

Jamen1970 likes this.
  38. io-games

io-games

tried to import 4k bark model via megascans unity link from bridge
    MegascansImporter.cs
    method PackTexturesHD eat all my ram (24 gb) and crash

39. io-games

io-games

Just checked the code - it's converting jpg to png not efficiently and does not clean memory.

But the main problem and can not stop this import, I launch unity again and and start import again and the crash.

40. leedevonald

leedevonald

Have you made sure you're using the latest version of the importer? It recently underwent a complete overhaul. Be sure to check the documentation as well.

41. io-games

io-games

yes, downloaded from bridge
    it was 4 3d models with 8k textures in new unity HD SRP profile.

42. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Does anybody know if there is any reason to buy this from the asset store versus from mega scan website. Is there any advantage?

43. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

I want to know this too. My guess is if you buy the pack here it's yours forever, if you subscribe to the website you only have access as long as you have a subscription. But I'd like to hear that confirmed by Quixel.

44. AlaiMich

AlaiMich

I've imported content from Bridge but there's nothing in my prefab folders for each Megascan assets I want to use. Thus, I have nothing to bring into the scene. Help!

Update: When exporting, I have to change the LOD setting from "High Poly" to "LOD#" and it works. Kinda weird but I am good to go (for now).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  45. LoboMontana

LoboMontana

Hi everyone,

Have any of you ran through this problem when you try to upload anything from Bridge and you get this in Unity:
    OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.

Bridge used to work just fine until the new version came out. Let me know.

46. LoboMontana

LoboMontana

I just went straight to the website and just applied for the monthly fee. The thing that sucks is that they have a point system. And this point system really is a drag especially if you are starting to build a world and all of the sudden you have to wait for your points to get back up at the beginning of every month. I mean yes, you can buy more points but still ... a drag.

47. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Can anyone who purchased these tell me if, the asset store megascans pack are 2k, 4k or 8k? thanks

48. dienat

dienat

There is not a version for normal rendering pipeline instead just hdrp or lwrp? cause almost no assets use hdrp or lwrp and there are a lot of bugs at least using lwrp

49. ronjaknudtsen

ronjaknudtsen

I have the same problem. Out of memory, and now I can't import anything new, tried restartiing, deleting the whole directory. Its a shame. A deal breaker

50. corjn

corjn

Same here, the plugin so broken in every unity versions.

Edit : I found that bridge unity plugin is broken if you put your texture export format to "TGA". It's working with JPEG.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    io-games likes this.