Search Unity

QuickWater: Drag and drop bodies of water into your scenewith procedurally generated mesh

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sirreldar, Oct 26, 2022.

1. sirreldar

sirreldar

Capture.PNG

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/quickwater-235228

I just published my first asset: QuickWater! QuickWater lets you drag and drop bodies of water into your scene. A tiled surface mesh is then procedurally generated which fits to the shape of the terrain.

This method allows for extremely rapid prototyping and proof-of-concepting. Meshes no longer need to be manually modified to reflect changes to the terrain. Surface meshes using rectangular planes or other pre-built meshes no longer protrude excessively under the terrain (especially with oddly shaped bodies of water, such as a winding, branching river). The procedural mesh generation uses flood filling, and so supports odd shapes such as moats, and "holes" through the water (such as a mine shaft on an island which descends below water level, with actually going underwater). All of this happens in edit mode for easy fine-tuning and tweaking.

Besides the surface mesh generation, QuickWater also includes a neatly organized Shader Graph for depth fade, surface foam, beach foam, distortion mapping, and vertex waves. This is highly customizable with noise and distortion images, water colors, configurable alpha blending, and foam cut-off parameters. Waves can be configured for size (height), scale, and speed, and supports custom noise images. Methods are provided for probing water water height (accounting for waves) to allow objects to float on the surface or toggle underwater camera effects.

For a truly comprehensive solution, a simple underwater post-process effect has been included, which will toggle on when the camera goes under water.

Surface Mesh has no additional package requirements.
    Shader graph requires BIRP Shader Graph package
    Included underwater effect requires BIRP post-processing package.

I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback or questions anyone has! Thanks so much for reading!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/quickwater-235228