Search Unity

QuickRopes Rope Physics Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reveriejake, Apr 20, 2012.

1. reveriejake

reveriejake

Also a note about the rope renderer... You can model your ropes, press play to let the physics take effect... Then choose to export the outcome as a prefab in the editor ;). So this might be a cool feature artists will like? (This feature is in dev so might not be included in this update)

The image above is a static model using QuickRopes and the Rope Renderer component! Not to say that you couldn't render it as a physics object too.

Jake

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. giraffe1

giraffe1

would it be easy for the end user to change the model to a steel cable or thick electric cording etc?

3. reveriejake

reveriejake

@giraffe1 Do you mean as far as the shape and texture? Or do you mean as far as physics making it tight?

You can assign your own materials to the rope and have a constant radius throughout. You can adjust the number or strands, how many edges each strand has, and even the shape of the strand based on the rose alrorithm. (as seen in the previous screenshot)

Is this what you mean?

Jake

4. giraffe1

giraffe1

yes shape and texture. and adjust weight (if possible)

5. reveriejake

reveriejake

giraffe1 likes this.
  6. giraffe1

giraffe1

7. reveriejake

reveriejake

Not at the moment. I plan to have a run-time editing demo soon though :)

8. reveriejake

reveriejake

9. reveriejake

reveriejake

Submitted an update today. Now its time fo some backwards compatibility for Unity 4.x!

Here are some details about the 3.1.1 update:

• Added Features:
      • Rope Renderer
      • Custom Collider Setting
      • Physics Material
      • Layer/Tag Manager
    • Added Scenes:
      • Rope Renderer Editor
      • Static Rope Sculpture
    • Changes:
      • Rope Link Hierarchy
      • Spline Editor
      • Rope Controller Code
      • Rope Joint Settings
    • Code Fixes:
      • Bug where prefabs don't assign properly
      • UV Mapping Bug for Rope Renderer
      • Bug where rope throws errors when extended beyond the max joint count

10. reveriejake

reveriejake

I now have a working version of QuickRopes3 for Unity 4.x. If you have an invoice number and would like to upgrade to QuickRopes3 for Unity 4.x please email me and let me know!

reveriejake87@gmail.com
    Jake

11. fivebits

fivebits

Hi,

We recently bought the plugin and are linking it so far. I have a question about attaching ropes.

1. How should I proceed if I want my rope to hang between two objects I have in my scene, which can be dynamically moved.
    2. Is there a way to apply a rotation to the rope so it behaves like a jump rope?
    3. How can I use the rope renderer when I use QuickRope.Create()?

Thanks!
    - Ricardo

12. reveriejake

reveriejake

@fivebits

1) You should create your rope then link the objects in the scene to each end joint of the rope using the regular Unity physics joints.

2) I am not sure what the best way to do this would be. Maybe try applying a force to the 2nd from last link and the 2nd links? I honestly don't know what the best way to do this would be.

3) QuickRope.Create returns a QuickRope object. You can attach the rope renderer to that returned object through the regular "AddComponent" method.

Hope that helps!
    Jake

13. Seith

Seith

@reveriejake This asset looks incredible! And the way to edit the chains/ropes looks intuitive as well. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. Is there any tutorial about attaching two objects to both ends of the chain?

14. Seith

Seith

Mmh. I just bought the asset but I get errors when trying to import it in my project:

Could anyone help me with this, please?

Edit: I'm on Windows 8.1, Unity 5.1f3, DX11, Linear lighting and Deferred mode.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. fivebits

fivebits

Jake, thanks for your help.

I tried linking the objects and I still have problems, my rope falls through. I tried:
    - Adding a Joint to my object and linking it to the first link's rigid body
    - Setting the first link's linked object to the rigid body of my own object.

Both failed. Any other instructions? I know you've mentioned you'd have a video/tutorial for this, but I can't find it.

- Ricardo

16. reveriejake

reveriejake

@Seith - These errors are probably some sort of conflict in code name. Do you have other code in your project with a similar class name? You could try adding the following line to the "QuickRopes.cs" code at line 22ish

Code (csharp):
    1. using Spline = PicoGames.Utilities.Spline;
    @fivebits - I haven't recorded the videos yet but hopefully I can get to that soon. I might not be understanding what your actual issue is.

Assume this scene: You have 2 object "Object1" and "Object2"; and you have your rope

1) Attach a fixed joint to "Object1" and "Object2"
    2) Set "Object1" and "Object2" rigidbodies to Kinematic
    3) Assign the fixed joint's connected body to joints [0] and joints [n] in your rope
    4) Should work?

If it doesn't work is there a skype contact and a good time in which I could get a hold of you in real-time to troubleshoot this? Feel free to send me an email at reveriejake87@gmail.com

Jake

17. Seith

Seith

@reveriejake Hi, I've noticed a couple of manipulation problems (bugs?) using Quickropes: it is not possible to rotate the scene camera (right-clicking on the scene view) when a quickrope is selected. Also, still with a quickrope selected it is not possible to do CTRL+Shift+click and drag in the middle of the translate gizmo to quickly bring the quickrope in front of the camera. Could you please have a look into those issues? Thanks.

18. reveriejake

reveriejake

@Seith - Thanks for the heads-up I will check into it. I might be eating up the event (ctrl). Also I got your other message about the revisions you made. Thanks for that!

Jake

19. gecko

gecko

Just bought this. Looks great! We want to use it as a grapple hook, and I see that's in progress -- any idea when it'll be done?

20. seth470

seth470

I need advice. When I reduced the size of a chain with physic, with the resizing tool, the links go in all directions when I press play....I must probably readjusted the parameters, but which. thank you kindly give me a solution track.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  21. Narendraom

Narendraom

Hi Jake, I need a advice can i make tie on model with this plugin. I want to make knot and researching a lot i didn't find any thing that help me. Can you please tell me how can i make knot with your Quick Rope Plugin. Probably you can give some suggestion.

22. VirtualDawn

VirtualDawn

Hi! I'd like to use your asset for a rope bridge, but I'm having difficulties with few parts.
    My bridge is constructed from three separate ropes, of which the bottom one is planks with box collider.
    How could I get the the ropes to work in sync so that there would be consistant length between the ropes and planks?
    What about the middle ropes(the red part)? I tried making vertical cylinders connected to another quick rope, but obviously it's catastrophe because none of the ropes are actually connected to each other.
    Maybe you could make a feature where you can make links between two separate quick ropes(joints).

Other problem I'm having is that my bridge explodes after I walk on it for a while(I can get around the middle). Not sure why this is happening, but probably something to do with colliders.

I got it to work pretty well(and no exploding) by locking the x-axis rotation for the planks, but then there won't be much at all swaying from side to side, which I'd like if it's possible somehow. Bigger matter is the relationship between the ropes though.

23. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

did anyone manage to get a pulley system working? I cant seem to get the friction of my wheel (with a motor) to push my rope along