Search Unity

QuickDecals: Decals Made Simple- Add dirt, grunge, splatters, posters, trash, etc!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Jan 6, 2013.

1. S0ULART

S0ULART

Does Quick Decals support Normal Smoothing?
    and how are draw calls handled?

2. karl_

karl_

I'm not sure what you mean by normal smoothing, could you explain?

Draw calls in the current version are not managed or improved by using QuickDecals. The rewrite that I'm working on does support texture batching and significantly improves draw calls. No word on release date yet though, apologies!

3. c-Row

c-Row

The Asset Store page mentions QuickDecals needs to be adjusted to work with Unity 4.3 - is still still the case or can we happily plaster away by now?

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Nope, it's all fixed! :)

5. Leito

Leito

Hi,

What shader should I be using for the decals? By default, this plugin uses the Decal shader, but I've always had to change the shader to one of the transparent shaders to get transparency. The only problem with using a transparency shader (except cutouts) is sometimes the material will "glow" when shadows are cast on the decals.

Also, does this support LODs?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. karl_

karl_

There isn't a specific shader that you *should* be using - it's whatever your needs happen to be and a shader that meets those requirements. As far as getting a glow effect with transparency and shadows, you could always just disable receiving shadows on the decal mesh. That might look a little weird though... maybe try this shader on the Unify Wiki (http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=BlendedDecal)?

With regards to supporting LODs, I'm not sure I follow. The decal is a 2 tri plane - doesn't get much more low poly than that, so an LOD system wouldn't really make a difference with the geometry. Unless you're meaning that the texture would be swapped at different LODs for higher/lower resolutions - then no, that's not explicitly supported. However I think that this would be taken care of for you by Unity anyways, unless you specifically disable `Generate Mip Maps` on the decal texture.

7. Leito

Leito

I'm creating a building with several LOD levels. I was thinking of having decals on the highest detail building and no decals as the building gets less detailed/culled...I tried it out. It seems to work.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  8. Almakos

Almakos

why atlas created is not square? I have atlas made by quick decals 2048x4096 and only lower third is used... any way to change this?

plus this:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    qd_Decal.SetUVRect (Rect r) (at Assets/ProCore/QuickDecals/Classes/qd_Decal.cs:46)
    ProCore.Decals.qdUtil.RefreshSceneDecals (ProCore.Decals.DecalGroup dg) (at Assets/ProCore/QuickDecals/Classes/qdUtil.cs:46)
    qd_Editor.DrawSettings (Rect r) (at Assets/ProCore/QuickDecals/Editor/qd_Editor.cs:804)
    qd_Editor.OnGUI () (at Assets/ProCore/QuickDecals/Editor/qd_Editor.cs:245)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

9. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

Is this still being supported? And does it work on recent iOS devices (iphone 5 and later)?
    Thanks

10. karl_

karl_

QuickDecals uses Unity's TexturePacker class to build the atlas, so I can't say with certainty why it decides on such odd proportions sometimes. You can play with the packing settings in the Editor window though, usually you'll be able to find a good set of parameters.

Yes, and though I do not have an iOS device to test on I can say I'm 99% sure it would work. The result of QuickDecals is just a mesh in the sceneview.