Search Unity

Quick Time Events possible in Unity? (interactive cut scene)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Tezelian, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Tezelian

Tezelian

Hey people

I want to add interactivity to my cut-scene by the use of quick time events where the player has to press a button on-screen to advance to the next scene or commit an action or fail and die.

Are there any Unity tutorials out there for quick time events?

Also is it possible to add a quick time event to a pre-rendered video sequence made on other software's!

My plan is to model and animate the cut scene on Maya and edit it on Première then bring it into unity to add interaction and also because I want the cut scene to follow after a little game.

Or should I just model everything on Maya and animate it on unity for the cut scene, but would it be the same quality?

I will ask this question in another thread later for more clarification unless I get answers here

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you want a drop-in solution, Matthew Swanton sells a Quick Time Event system on the Asset Store. The Dialogue System for Unity also supports QTEs.

I'm not aware of any QTE-specific tutorials. If you model in Maya and animate is Unity, I recommend using an in-Unity cutscene editor such as uSequencer or Aperture. They include examples in which you can trigger cutscene sequences from user input.

If you're determined to do everything from scratch, you can at least examine these products' online documentation to see how they're designed, and do something similar.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Tezelian

Tezelian

Thanks Tony

Well I was planning to animate and render everything on Maya and bring it into unity as pre-rendered footage, would that make things harder?

Let's say I made everything on Maya and imported into unity, could I still add quick time events with Matthew's qte system?

for a quick time event couldn't I just add a button or text on top of the pre-rendered footage saying "press f" and code something like if user doesn't press f in the certain time rate then link to another pre-rendered footage showing the character die.

In other words could I program and link pre rendered avi footage in unity with buttons made on unity?

But before this I would like to create a short game in unity before the cut scene which is why I'm using Unity.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sure, what you described would work just fine. You could use a coroutine to handle the timing. Maybe play one animation if the player triggers the QTE in time, and a different animation at the end of the coroutine if it times out.

Often, quick time events have to incorporate some world state rather than being entirely pre-rendered, which is why I suggested an in-Unity solution such as Matthew Swanton's system (which I've never used myself) and uSequencer. But if pre-rendered works for you, no need to complicate things if simple works.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Tezelian

Tezelian

Thank you Tony

I think I will try both ways, will let you know in time how it goes

Thanks so much again