Search Unity

Official Quick Start - Arcade Classics

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by UnityJuju, Jul 19, 2021.

1. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hello,

We would like to know what you think about our work-in-progress collection of retro arcade games: Quick Start - Arcade Classics.

The Quick Start - Arcade Classics project is a collection of lightweight single scene games inspired by early arcade games.

They are made with simple graphics and lean scripts so you can understand how popular game mechanics can be accomplished with the Unity Editor and its core components.

If you’d like to try this project yourself, keep reading!

Prerequisites
    • To run the project you will need Unity Editor version: 2019 LTS (preferable) or Unity Editor version: 2020 LTS
    • To gain access to the project hosted on GitHub, you will need to have an active GitHub account (https://github.com/)

Set-up instructions
    • Sign into GitHub
    • Then click this link to go to the repository: https://on.unity.com/3ra8u9R
    • From GitHub you can either clone the project using your source control application, or download the ZIP file

Running a game

Once the project is open in your Editor, you will need to generate the game you want to try out.
    To generate one of the games, locate Templates in the top menu bar, and from the list that appears, select [Game you want to try] > Generate.

Once generated, you can press Play to test it; and modify it as you please.

We want your feedback

We’d love to know what you think of the Quick Start - Arcade Classics project.
    You can share your thoughts by filling out this brief survey: https://unitysoftware.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_d0BFJReQo8wshYq?source=forum

M_MG_S, adamgolden, SinCL and 4 others like this.
  2. sgt3v

sgt3v

Great idea, will test and drop my feedback.

UnityJuju likes this.
  3. sgt3v

sgt3v

Done!
    There was more than in the package, great to see programming focused example packages like this.

UnityJuju likes this.
  4. wobrbobr

wobrbobr

Fantastic! It's a really great share, UnityJuju
    ^^

UnityJuju likes this.
  5. dimmduh1

dimmduh1

Why not to adapt classic games to Unity "architecture"? Components, MonoBehaviours, canvas, etc?
    I only see source files on 1500 lines, it's a mess.
    But good idea anyway.

6. SinCL

SinCL

I believe the "Quick Start" project is just a light-weight delivery medium. The components, Behaviours, etc are there after each game is built or generated. These "source" files simply create those things procedurally.

7. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Meh, I suck at Unity! I downloaded the Zip from Github, loaded Unity 2019, there's no template option!

8. SinCL

SinCL

This is what I did to get the project from GitHub. Hope it helps.
    1. Follow the link provided in the OP to the GitHub repository (sign in when prompted);
    2. Click the green "Code" button and choose "Download ZIP";
    3. Unzip / copy the folder "quickstart-arcade-dev" to a folder where I put my other Unity test projects;
    4. Open "Unity Hub";
    5. Add the project / folder "quickstart-arcade-dev" to my Unity Hub projects;
    6. Choose the Unity Editor version, then click to start the project from Hub;
    7. When open, I can see the "Templates" menu on top, click it;
    8. Select "2D Templates Generate All", wait for a couple minutes...
    9. Open the scenes from each game's folder and play!

UnityJuju likes this.
  9. xCyborg

xCyborg

Very good idea, I will try them as soon as I can.

UnityJuju likes this.
  10. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

I just tried the game, I managed to get it to work in Unity 2019, in a fashion! It loads and then crashes! FFS I hate Linux Debian under Chrome OS.

11. SinCL

SinCL

Oh dear, does it show anything in Unity log?

12. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

No it just locks the screen up.

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You'll want to test on a supported platform. Any updates, did you get your Mac?

14. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Nope, and I never will, my Brother will only support the total bobbins that is Chrome OS.

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it, then my messages to you from a year ago still apply, unfortunately in your case.

16. lemuellim

lemuellim

I am new to Unity and find this project very helpful! Here is a quick video I put together. Enjoy!

17. LuvencioIbarra

LuvencioIbarra

Indeed, I enjoyed the process of reading about it

18. Alzwaberdyn

Alzwaberdyn

Quick Start - Arcade Classics sounds like a cool project! As someone who enjoys playing online games, I always love trying out new games, especially those that are inspired by classic arcade games. It's great to hear that the games are lightweight and made with simple graphics and lean scripts. That should make them easy to understand and modify for those who are new to game development.
    Thanks for providing the set-up instructions for accessing the project on GitHub. I'm sure that will be helpful for those who want to try it out for themselves. And it's awesome that you're looking for feedback from the community.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023