Search Unity

Resolved Quick Search

Discussion in 'Authoring Dev Blitz Day 2023' started by Baste, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Baste

Baste

Sigh

So Quick Search is great on paper. It's got fantastic tools for advanced searching, and bringing up a unified window for searching with a shortcut instead of having to click in tiny boxes is great.

But, it just does not perform on real projects. Any single asset change, including a script reload, causes it to spend 10+ seconds before it can show any results. A very common thing that happens for me is:
    - Change some code, and tab over to Unity
    - Wait for a recompile
    - Bring up QuickSearch, search for
    t:scene Menu

- Wait for a few seconds
    - Open the project window
    - Use the builtin search there to search for
    t:scene Menu

- Open the Menu scene
    - Quick search is still a few seconds away from finding the Menu scene

I've reported this quite a few times, but it's never gotten appreciable better in any way that lasts. What's baffling to me here is that the built-in search is able to do the same query instantly, so there is the knowledge within Unity for how to build an instant search for things that functions in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't think QS is actually slow to find things, but there's a buggyness around updating the caches that breaks all actual use since all actual use (at least for me) is right after some asset update has happened.

Is there any chance that this will be fixed, properly?

2. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Generally speaking generating an asset change will trigger index validation of assets. What you are saying is right that if script changes happen, asset indexing shouldn't have to happen.

We will try to look at this soon.

3. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

I will add your feedback to our backlog so it doesn't get lost!