Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick questions C#, Wasm, Tiny Games in Unity Games/Simulations?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Arowx, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Arowx

Arowx

C# When, tiny roadmap?

Wasm, TypeScript has a ts to wasm technology will this be adopted as an interim until C# is provided and what would be the potential gains in performance/size from Wasm?

Will it be possible to render/run Tiny games within Unity games so a VR/AR game/simulation could have a Tiny playable arcade machine within it?

d1favero and spqrpancho like this.
  2. MBest_Unity

MBest_Unity

Administrator

Great question, I'll try and provide some insight into our current thinking on that.

WASM vs asm.js - we are currently supporting asm.js simply because of universality. WASM support is the ultimate destination. The reason it's not currently the default is largely because of mobile saturation which is around 70-75% and rising. I don't have numbers on that right now but I can say that we expect to see code size, load time, and game performance all improve once WASM is the default.

Typescript is very similar to C# in syntax so we are using it now largely because it's easy to move over. It also let's us compare before and after when the time comes to make the switch. As our eventual goal is to be C# only, we will not be investing heavily in typescript optimization in the short term. C# support is coming along pretty quickly and look for that early in the new year.

Roadmap details are coming. We are currently focused on the switch to having this available as a public preview for the next day or two. Keep an eye on the forums for that post, we are eager to hear feedback on our plans on where we go from here.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

>Will it be possible to render/run Tiny games within Unity games so a VR/AR game/simulation could have a Tiny playable arcade machine within it?

Super interested in this as well!

The possibilities for tiny mini-games to add to our games are endless!

4. indie6

indie6

When can we see the roadmap? I couldn't find much about the release on the website and the forums. Thank you

5. TheRoccoB

TheRoccoB

In my experience WASM is typically about 15% faster and smaller than ASM.js for most things.