Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Questions related SSGI

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Deleted User, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

The SSGI for hdrp has just no effect on the scene... I know it's effects are subtle because it's intensity is low and increasing its intensity leads to glitchy artifacts so the effect is kept close to almost zero.... Is there any plan to reduce the artifacts in future updates and adding intensity slider? And can it be extended to reflection probes because on docs I read that it works like SSR and to not keep it limited to screen space? The reflection based GI can be accurate because I feel that reflection and light bouncing are very closely related to each other in real life... Anyway I don't know how algorithms work but what are your thoughts?!

2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, to increase the "intensity" of the indirect lighting in your scene (including SSGI) you can use the indirect lighting controller and then increasing the indirect diffuse multiplier there.

As for the subtleness of the SSGI, a round of improvements and bug fixing have been done recently. It makes it more usable. It's still not perfect and it will still have the drawbacks of screen space effects but now, It costs a bit less for better quality, noise has been reduced and its effect is less subtle.
    Also, SSGI is now completely replacing lightmaps (same way RTGI does).

Those changes will soon be available in the next round of 2021.2 alphas.

Deleted User and Korindian like this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Are we still going to get alphas btw? I noticed that issue tracker and SRPs are now at 2021.2.0a5 already, but no public alphas so far.

4. Passeridae

Passeridae

Why don't you turn such things into a small blog or post it officially somewhere?:)

It's actually interesting to read and look at your internal examples, how you test it and etc. Gives more understanding of the development process and about what this feature can and can not do sometimes, because you see it from its developers point of view a bit.

Deleted User and chap-unity like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Those are really good improvements !!

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

In the GitHub post what do the light probes do??! Is there a new version of light probes?? And are they baked?!

7. Passeridae

Passeridae

upload_2020-4-21_10-52-51.png

Deleted User likes this.
  8. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, they'll come. For some reasons, the first ones have just not been promoted.

May be too technical for a blog post but I agree. It could show how such a feature it's supposed to be used in the big picture because that's where some people struggle with with SSGI. We'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

Deleted User, Camarent and rz_0lento like this.
  9. impheris

impheris

Sorry, but i'm a noob with Unity. Are you saying that the option to bake lightmaps will be removed?
    sorry again, maybe a dumb question.

10. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry if wasn't clear, SSGI are replacing light maps when they are baked on the scene meaning you either choose baking lightmaps or using SSGI, they won't work together. (can't have both)

They won't replace baking lightmaps as a feature, don't worry :)

11. impheris

impheris

aah ok, i was thinking about that some days ago and wanted to make a mix between ssgi and baked because, for the game i want to make i thought that would be suitable, i guess i will need to try something else. Thanks