Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for commercial use.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by synok, Aug 23, 2013.

1. synok

synok

Hello,

I have been around these forums for quite some time. Done some small game development here and there. I have switched around using different engines and I always land on the same square as I started; Game development with Unity3D.

I love Unity3D and how they are getting more generous after each and every release with features and things put into the Indie from the Pro. Now I want only some answers to some question marks that kept me from my lurking and searching;

1. I have Unity3D indie and I want to use it commercially. I read that you can earn anything up to $100 000 with it. What happens after? Do I need Unity3D Pro if hypotetically I would sell more than that with my product?

2. If so, can I take money from some fundraising and pay off for the license / seat of the Pro license?

3. Im short on cash, but high on creativity. If I make the game now and start selling it when it is done, can I get one license specifically for that product which allow me to get past the $100 000 mark for that game, or do I need to continue paying for Unity3D even after the first game is sold (which actually is not a bad idea when I think of it to continue game development)?

And the last one might be a really off topic quesiton, but Unity3D based.

4. In my country (Sweden), you need a plan to market your product and more for a company to be started. I want to develop games as a job. Is it hard for me to start a company and use Unity3D as engine? (Asking those with commercial experience)

It might be clear that I love game development and want to do this as my job. I don't want to get into any licensing problems or what not, that is why I ask. Sorry if this is wrong forum.

Thanks for any answers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. TheRaider

TheRaider

1. If that is what the licence says then yes.

2. Of course you can use money you make to pay for a licence in the future.

3.I don't know if it is per market or total sales.

4. I am sure making the company is easy, although there will be costs. However don't worry about that stuff for now, you don't even have a product. Don't run before you can walk.

3. synok

synok

Thanks for answering so quickly!

So there haven't been any significant problems before with licensing? I just want everything to be clear before I even start, so I do not have to worry about that during the progress.

4. TheRaider

TheRaider

I haven't heard of any, so long as you do the right thing you will be fine.

IF you aren't sure just email support to get an official answer in writing.

5. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

synok -

As for your question about whether you have to "Keep paying for Unity"... once you hit that $100k mark, $1,500 to purchase pro isn't really a problem. And, if you do the full $1,500 purchase, it's a perpetual license so you don't need to continually buy the license (unless you want a new major version when it's released, then you buy an upgrade license for that version).

6. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

If you have $100,000 you can easily afford to pay $1,500 for a full Unity License.

Or is that wrong?
    Do people who have more than $100,000 in the bank have serious problems paying $1,500 for Unity????

I thought paying for UnityPro + AndroidPro + iOSPro + Team licenses was cheap.

7. redmotion_games

redmotion_games

It is cheap, if you just made $100,000 in a short space of time, it's a small fortune if you're making $50 a month with apps though!

My opinion is hitting the $100k mark with your first app is as likely as winning the lottery.

I think it is reasonable to publish some apps with indie version as an individual, keep and eye on revenues and if you get that 1 in a million shot and your new game hits that elusive seam of gold then phoning up Unity and saying "I just made 100k, I want to buy Unity pro" is no problem.

I'd get the game done, become a sole-trader initially and see how much money comes in from the first one, don't go spending 100s to set up a company only to find your first app makes $1000 and sales die off to nothing and then find half the profits get eaten up by the accountant for the tax return at the end of the year (company tax returns being more complicated than soletrader/self-employed ones).

8. devotid

devotid

make a good game........put it on kickstarter........ask for money to get pro....... if its good, it will get supported. if its bad, it wont.......... Done.

9. Meltdown

Meltdown

1.) Find a name for your company and get it registered, google and make sure the company name doesn't exist or is used by other game studios.
    2.) Register your company
    3.) Complete your game
    4.) Sell your game
    5.) If your game makes over $100 000 in sales in the first year of it's release, buy a Pro license.

10. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

> My opinion is hitting the $100k mark with your first app is as likely as winning the lottery.

It is not that difficult. The odds of making many $100k-earning games are greater than winning the lottery.