Search Unity

Questions! Deselection, Stop creating primitives, Undo, and more.

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by greenmonster, Dec 15, 2016.

1. greenmonster

greenmonster

Hi there!

Just got done messing around with EVR using Touch. This is clearly the beginning of a great thing!

I have a few questions right off the bat. It's possible I missed something, but I couldn't answer these for myself through experimentation:

1. How do I undo an action?
    2. How do I stop "Create Primitive" mode? Tried the B button but that teleports. Tried triggering the Cp icon on my right hand, but that just opens the create primitive window.
    3. How do I highlight a volume to select objects within that volume? I accidentally made some very tiny capsule primitives and wanted to delete them.
    4. How do I delete the selected object?
    5. How do I deselect (select nothing) so that the handles aren't in the way? I tried selecting what was already selected in the Hierarchy window but that just keeps it selected. I tried other buttons but maybe I missed it.
    6. Will you plan on creating a color picker for color values in the inspector? I did intuitively figure out you can grab and scroll values left and right so that helps but feels a little tedious for color picking.

Thanks again, and looking forward to exploring this more deeply.

2. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Hello there to you, too!

Thanks for trying EVR. Sorry you ran into trouble so quickly. Let me see if I can help.

1. Unfortunately we do not register EVR actions with undo yet, so you can only undo/redo actions from the 2D editor. This is tasked for a future release
    2. Triggering the Pinned Tool button (Cp icon) should have despawned the tool. It can be confusing but one way to know whether a tool is selected is to check the main menu again. You shouldn't see the custom menu, and you should be able to hover objects when the tool is disabled. Clicking the tool button in the main menu should toggle the tool.
    3. We do not yet have box select. You will have to use the Hierarchy Workspace to find and select those primitives.
    4. When an object is selected, the radial menu should appear on the hand that did the selection. Delete is the little trash can with an X on it.
    5. Just point your ray at nothing and pull the trigger. Clicking the selected object in the hierarchy should deselect but that functionality was simply overlooked. We'll fix that in the future.
    6. Yes! A color picker is one of our planned UI's but we're just using a regular vector3 input for now.

Hope this helps!

3. greenmonster

greenmonster

Awesome, thanks for the replies! Very helpful. I also just reviewed the "Getting Started in EditorVR" doc one more time and saw things I missed.

Throwing objects behind me to delete them is awesome and that works great. Just one of those new paradigms.

I also realized I never saw that radial menu the first time through, which would have helped! I went back in to experiment with that, and I'm still not sure how to get the radial menu to show up consistently while an object is selected. Sometimes it shows up and sometimes it goes away, so it would be good to get some clarity on how that is intended to work.

Triggering the Cp icon definitely didn't despawn the tool after trying that a few more times. But, I can indeed just go back into the menu and select that tool again to despawn it.

I know the doc says that reordering the hierarchy is on the TODO list, but I also wanted to throw in there the request to be able to group primitives together, so that once I form something a little more complex, I can move them all together as one.

4. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Yep. Grouping is something that we definitely want to experiment with. Along with locking objects, grouping is a feature that Unity doesn't already support, so we're breaking new ground there. Keep the feedback coming! We love to hear what people actually want to do with this thing in the wild!