Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions and suggestions about user targeting and Cloud Data

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Remiel, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Remiel

Remiel

Analytics is all fine and good for gathering data about user behavior, the question is how do we use gathered data to make the application better.

For example, we notice that users are struggling on level 5 so we do an app update which makes it easier.
    Ok, that problem is easily solved.

However, how about this scenario: we want to target users that have never purchased anything with special deals that should push them into buying something.

I can see two ways to make this reality.
    1) Update your app so it pops up the special deal in certain moments for players that haven't bought anything. However, this means we have to update the app every time we want anything changed, price or anything else. And the bigger issue here is, how do I know that the current user running the app hasn't purchased anything? Of course, you can implement custom tracking of things but why do it twice? If Analytics already has this information, why couldn't we just ask the analytics: "Does this user belong in XY segment?"
    If we could just get this information within our app, we could do many smart things with it. Even implementing our own backend that sends notifications and data to the app.

2) Provide a service that accompanies the analytics that can send notifications/data on its own or be asked for data targeting a specific segment of users.
    For example, the developer could look at his analytics and say "Now would be a good time to introduce a special offer for XY segment." Then he would create a data structure that he would send to just that segment of users. The app would then receive that data and interpret it like "Ah! So I got this data that tells me I should pop up a window right now with a special offer with this price and this name and this icon."

I see you are working on Unity Cloud data. That could potentially allow for the first half of "be asked for data targeting a specific segment of users" however, without any kind of integration between analytic and data storage we can't identify which segment user belongs to.

3) There is also a possibility to somehow send user id data to analytic and then export that data for use in targeting those users, but with the new "analysis points" system. Sending such data would easily use up all our points. Or am I wrong?

Is there a way to do user targeting?

Bottom line:
    Without an ability to do something about the data we are receiving, utility of analytics is not much.
    It is powerful for identifying specific areas that need improvement for all users but it can't target specific segment of users with specific things that would improve their individual experience.
    Cloud data service is a step towards a good direction, but it would be even better if the two services weren't completely separate and analytcs could provide a way to change cloud data only of users of a specific segment.

eezSZI likes this.
  2. angeloferro

angeloferro

Hi @Remiel!

Thanks for the valuable feedback :)

If Analytics already has this information, why couldn't we just ask the analytics: "Does this user belong in XY segment?"
    A: Giving you a set of user IDs that belong to a specific segment is one of many APIs that we're considering for development. Please feel free to vote for features here!

2) Provide a service that accompanies the analytics that can send notifications/data on its own or be asked for data targeting a specific segment of users.
    A: Long-term, this is exactly the type of functionality that we want Unity Analytics to have. Our team believes in actionable analytics, and we've always viewed being able to target users as one the key ways to leverage Unity Analytics' segmentation. However, both Unity Analytics and Unity Cloud Data are still beta products - so it will take some time before we get to the point where we can provide this functionality (but stay tuned!).

3) There is also a possibility to somehow send user id data to analytic and then export that data for use in targeting those users, but with the new "analysis points" system. Sending such data would easily use up all our points. Or am I wrong?
    Sending user id as a non-numeric parameter would use a lot of analysis points. However, you could send user id as a numeric parameter - this information wouldn't be valuable for data visualization purposes, but once we have raw data export available you'll be able to export user ids and you can leverage either your own internal tools or third-party messaging tools to target players.

Hope this helps!
    -Angelo

eezSZI, sschan and Remiel like this.
  3. Remiel

Remiel

Thank you for your answers! They were very helpful! :)
    I am looking forward to new features of the Analytics and other Unity Cloud services. They will certainly be worth the wait!

angeloferro likes this.