Search Unity

Questions about UDN

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morning, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Morning

Morning

The question I want to know an answer to is: Will the bar on the top ever be closeable? Or at least stick it to top of page, not top of the screen. My tiny screen already has little space and this only takes it up with no use.

Another, not really a question, is: Isn't it a lot less secure now that all accounts are linked? If someone breaks one, he can access all the services instead of only the one.

A minor annoyance, UDN is confusing and makes me thing of unreal developer network, not unity :roll:

2. taumel

taumel

Can't login from Chrome but from Safari. Claiming accounts didn't work, so it comes down to a typical Unity new feature user experience. What were the benefits again?

3. pivotraze

pivotraze

I want that top bar close-able as well. And yes, UDN always makes me think of the same thing.

I had to reset my password through my email to use UDN on chrome. IDK why.

4. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Basically this:

I'm sure they're still ironing out the bugs, though - migration tends to always be painful. Unity Feedback is looking a lot better, too.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

chrome worked fine for me, tho I'd also like to have the top bar close-able

6. Fu11English

Fu11English

The blue Login icon keeps popping up every now and then even though I am logged in.

Also the first time I logged into the new service it ever so kindly allowed me to reclaim my old user name but then said "Haha, just kidding your name is too long" so I had to change it. No biggie I guess :)

7. Bladesfist

Bladesfist

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. Morning

Morning

9. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Also,this may not be a very important problem....but I can't change my avatar(I even removed mine...I don't know how that happened)

Everytime I upload an avatar(I have the right file size/and resolution) it says something like "Invalid file".I tried everything,using png/jpg/jpeg/link...but I get the same message.

Is this a bug?

10. taumel

taumel

@pivotraze
    Thanks, it somehow works now to a degree that i'm logged in and can post but the whole login is still dead slow and it sometimes doesn't show me the proper state in the upper right corner, still the login-button without showing me that i'm logged in already.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. Tiles

Tiles

Great, now i have two user names to remember because i was trapped by the claim process. I never was registered to Unity Answers. But Unity forces me to log in there. How the heck shall i confirm an account that i never had? o_O

This login screen is all or nothing. Has really nobody thought about that some folks here are just registered to the forum, and to nothing else? It was more coincidence that i have chosen to try the no account button. Because i thought this kills my forum account (well i was right, it killed the Unity Feedback account). And now i have a new login name for the UDN, and my old forum name where i would have prefered to have my forum name as the account name. And no way to change this login name from what i can see.

The situation is very wicked now. I log in as Tiles here at the forum. Have another Login name above in the login bar for UDN. I log in with the UDN login name into Unity Feedback. My old account gots killed there from what i can see. And Answers still asks me for confirmation what i cannot confirm :(

I definitely second the request for the hidable login bar at the top by the way! That one is really nasty.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  12. Tiles

Tiles

By the way, are you aware that you cut off the forum, the Unity Answers and Unity Feedback from Google Search? I always get the claim thingie now. No way to read the content anymore without being registered. This blocks lots of users.

EDIT - nevermind. This was because i hadn`t completed the claim process.

13. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I don't seem to be able to claim my Unity Answers account, as I was using the federated login stuff there (i.e. clicking the Unity icon to log into Answers with my forum username/password) but that federated login has disappeared now...

14. Trinda

Trinda

On Chrome, when trying to claim my answers account, I had to use proper caps for the username.

Also, now the forums show me as logged in, but the UDN bar at the top doesn't.

15. Morning

Morning

UDN bar is glitchy. Sometimes it says I am logged, other times it says I'm not. Especially when viewing threads.

16. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

I've noticed they cut the length of the allowed forum username, I had to shorten mine :(

Furthermore, when you login through the top bar you sometimes get put through to your 'account page' where there's a link to the faq (which didn't work last I tried it) and a very small edit account page. No link to the forum or anything. Very intermittent, and very annoying.

I get the feeling that this service was somewhat rushed and hasn't taken into account everyone's circumstances.

EDIT: apparently in the last 12 hours my profile pic has gone and my post count reset. All because I had to use a new un because my old one was suddenly too long. Get it together UT

EDIT2: Also, by the looks of it, my new forum username has been changed into a totally separate account. I can no longer edit the OP in the Retroformer WIP thread (though I could last night) and all of my forum settings have been wiped. Not pleased in the slightest. This also means I'm effectively locked out of my old 'Paradigm-Softworks' account, since I've got no other email address to bind it to (I've already had to use an auxiliary email to use the 2 identities I have on these forums). Not pleased.

17. Tiles

Tiles

Ouch. So i am even a lucky one. For me it just has shot down my old Unity Feedback account. And forced me to register at Unity Answers. Which i didn`t really wanted to. And of course both with a new name.

And on top of that i got a mail from the support that there is no way to change the user name anymore. Once the process is completed you have to live with the new names for the rest of your live it seems. I can use my old nick at the Forum, but my other two accounts uses another name now :(

Not a happy bunny at the moment neither.

18. Trinda

Trinda

Another issue, if I've left the forums open in another tab, and come back to it later (an hour or so), whenever I click a thread, it looks like it re-logs in the UDN, then goes back to the forum list

19. taumel

taumel

A.o. it's hard to spot the new antenna tree, and this for the rest of my life.

20. Khyrid

Khyrid

Extremely irritated with UDN.

I guess either I once had an answers account or somebody used my user name to make one. I think I had one but I couldn't claim it, it said my email wasn't on file. Then I can't get back to the forums until I claim or make an answers account and it changes my user name to the name I made for answers. I want my name to be just "Khyrid".

I don't need this crap.

21. Moonjump

Moonjump

Having one login is a positive move, and there is a lot of potential for this to be to our benefit in the long run.

It is a pity about all the glitches at the start, and none of the benefits apparent that are hinted at in the blog video. And the layout changes are annoying, but hopefully will be improved. The Community label area is oversized and redundant as search is already shown in a less intrusive manner. At least you can scroll away from that, unlike the horrible Unity Developer Network banner.

I hope Unity are not going to follow the trend for overuse of white space that is currently blighting the internet. I got a bigger monitor to see more, not so things can be laid out further apart.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

it asks me to log in everytime, and if it take some time browsing the forums it asks me to log again, and many times the top bar doesnt allow me to log in, the blue button just remains still, i click it, and nothing happens

it wont let me recover my forum account so i had to get a new one

1+ for the confusion with unreal developer network, its like they didnt even bother to google UDN to see if there was something similar

too much bugs for me, i will just dissapear for a while to see if it gets fixed

Cheers
    Hermes David Montes de Oca Segovia

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Same here. I don't care for the top banner at all; it doesn't add anything and can't be closed (short of resorting to fiddling with web browser plugins, which really shouldn't be necessary). Looks like this idea needed more thought in regard to design and testing.

--Eric

24. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

I have about 487653897645 problems with my account and you think the bar is the problem here? ;_;

In all seriousness, UDN isn't close to being ready for release.

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not the problem, but it is a problem. ;) Another problem is that on UnityAnswers, most functionality is gone for me (such as being able to post comments and so on). Someone said there weren't changes to QATO, but something obviously changed, because a couple days ago I had no issues with that, and now I do. Ergo, something changed, and not for the better....

--Eric

26. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Do you think UT will be able to restore functionality to my account? It's sorta crucial that I'm able to edit my WIP post often, and I don't particularly want to make a new one -.-

27. Khyrid

Khyrid

Please, I want my name back!

28. taumel

taumel

For those who miss some space, by blinding out the udn-header and the unity-menu (for instance through some filter expansion), you gain 133 pixels (about 17% of the vertical browser content space here). You might also want to blind out master-search and section-header.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  29. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Looks like Feedback has lost most of its votes and has broken comment counts etc. I used to use it via my Facebook login and there doesn't seem to be any way to reclaim that now.

(on the bright side, the new "most voted" list has pretty good requests)

30. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

The root issue's definitely fun when you're typing out a longer post and the UDN decides you've logged out (even though it knows you're still logged in and will relog you) - losing the post, because there is no back to it. One of those things, if you're going to spend time on a post - you're looking at either going advanced and hitting the preview every so often or popping a new tab to have it relog you before you post. Hell, even doing a Ctrl-C on your post in case it gets eaten...quirky things that we've kind of taken for granted in this day and age.

31. Moonjump

Moonjump

The icons showing active threads since last visit seems to have broken now as well.

32. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Glad they fixed the issue with staying logged in with the UDN where it would show you as logged out while the forums kept you logged in...

...course they fixed it by logging you out of both the UDN and the forums regardless of whether you have it checked to keep you logged in.

33. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I dont like this new UDN