Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about the upcoming Volumetric Lightning

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Ekincan, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ekincan

Ekincan

Finaly Unity develops its own Volumetric Lightning.
    I wanted to ask some questions regarding that, since there is so little information on it except the video.

1. Will it support Baked Lightsources ?
    There are plenty of great volumetric lightning assets but due to engine limitations none of them support baked lightsources. Its because they all raymarch the AfterShadowMap cmd buffer and this buffer simply doesnt get called if the light is in Baked Mode.

2. Will it support different Light Types (Point, Spot, etc.) ?
    It would be a shame if it for some reason didnt but I want to ask to know for sure.

3. When can we expect it to be released ?

Is it going to be in a few months or at least a currently planned version number like 2018.3 or something would be good to know.

konsic likes this.
  2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

1. Not so far no.

2. I tested with Dir, Spot and Point so far.

3. When it is done. It's only available in very early beta and needs work at the moment.

You have to enable staging in manifest, then yes, otherwise no (for now).

4. elbows

elbows

I'm pretty sure I got at least one 2.0.x version (that has volumetric fog) this last week from the package manager without needing to change the manifest to use staging repository.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. elbows

elbows

I'm pretty sure Fog Volume 3 (on the asset store) supports stuff via light probes, which may or not be enough for your purposes. I only tried that function briefly though, quite some time ago, but it did work.

6. jjejj87

jjejj87

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's just an Alpha8 format Texture3D. I grabbed a noise lib and generated some. The Unity docs show how to generate a Texture3D. You may find it's really tricky getting a 3D noise texture to tile, so you may want to just blend the axis together long each by 25% or so.

It's not particularly detailed at 32x32x32 though...

8. elbows

elbows

I just checked this again and I can see HD Pipeline 2.0.3-preview in the package manager without having to change any package manifest. Note that this is with the 2018.2 beta, I havent tried any of this stuff with 2018.1.

9. jjejj87

jjejj87

Thanks! Though, I am wondering why the package doesn't include a sample in the first place (they must have had one for development anyway)

10. Chaiker

Chaiker

Hey guys. How can i remove that "sphere" in center of my light source?
    upload_2018-6-19_15-12-23.png
    upload_2018-6-19_15-14-20.png

11. Alimohammadlo

Alimohammadlo

hello please help me i am working new future games is high quality graphic and use hd render pipline and working i am need add volumetric light in project but i dont waht is adding Asset for this is please help me for adding volumetric lights in hd render pipline in unity 2018.2 beta
    i am adding package Hd render pipline v 2.02
    Tacks for everthinc
    please Ansver my qustions

12. elbows

elbows

I dont have time to do proper tutorial at the moment but maybe you will find the short tips and screenshots in this post useful? this is the link to the post

13. Alimohammadlo

Alimohammadlo

no it is not i am need i am needed looks like this is

Attached Files:

• 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      124.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You can achieve the same effect with Volumetric Lighting following what @elbows posted.